Sponge Out of Water The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

More

VIP
SpongeCob said:
I read that there was a deleted scene where Krabs erases SpongeBob's mind, leading him to forget the formula.

I call bullshrimp. :bullshrimp:
It is. The iTunes version includes extras containing these "deleted scenes." That one wasn't present.

More

VIP
Okay, here's my initial thoughts.

This is just a reaction after watching it for a second time, and I won't be doing a full, in-depth review quite yet. (That's in the works with my countdowns)

This movie was pretty good. Really far from one of my favorite animated movies, but still good. I mean, the big thing I noticed were how many ties and references to the show there was. Sure, there's the obvious extension of FUN, Pressure, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V, Back to the Past and Sponge-Cano, but there's even a lot of little things, with quotes like the mispronunctiation of words or "Hold the Mayo" or even "Do you Have any sevens?", and settings like sitting on a cliff by the fire (Life of Crime) or riding a big bubble (Atlantis SquarePantis). There's a lot of them and I can't pinpoint them all, but it's really pushing the boundary of "referencing the show" and "ripping it off," which leads to some on-the-edge comedy. What's also great is the animation. The traditional techniques, which we haven't seen in like, forever, combined the crisp brightness of the ninth season with the shading and depth of the first movie, and it's a very appealing combination. The CG really retains that feeling. I MEAN LOOK AT CUTE WITTLE PATRICK DON'T YOU WANNA SQEEEZE 'IM 'TIL HE POPS!?!?

Patrick-loves-ice-cream-in-SpongeBob-Movie-Sponge-Out-of-Water.jpg

But in all seriousness, they did a really exceptional job incorporating the CG with the live-action and created some fun jokes and awesome action. Antonio Banderas did very well with his very believable role. Even the background feel right, it really felt like it was underwater and bright. The soundtrack was also really original and upbeat. "Thank Gosh it's Monday" (which, despite my theory, I still wish was there) gave it a taste of the character's personalities and the good attitudes of the people before the apocalypse. "Teamwork" really brought SpongeBob and Plankton together and developed thier relationships. As for the characters, it gave a much more wide perspective on thier world and gave more attention to the other characters. It really built up to a great lesson of what selfishness could lead to. It also retained SpongeBob's style of humor and put jokes all the way through. Even the CG parts, which were heavily advertised, were still just as funny, as for one, I love slapstick a lot, and two, most of the jokes in the trailers were taken out of context. By the way, nice job at parodying the Avengers.

Although, according to the behind the scenes video, they said that it was going to bring us to a whole new SpongeBob, going to places they never went before and bettering them ten-fold.

I disagree with that very thoroughly. While I'm not a fan of a show "pulling an Adventure Time" and changing styles immediately, it didn't really do much that we haven't seen before. Aside the references taking up most of it, we already saw a hero's journey between two characters (The Original Movie), we already saw time travel (Back to the Past), we already saw an apocalypse undersea (Sponge-Cano), we already saw the gang going to land (Pressure), we already saw them becoming superheroes (MM and BB VI), and we already saw SpongeBob and Plankton's bond (FUN). It's not neededly a bad thing, though, it's a good taste of SpongeBob, only longer. Isn't that all we really need?

But what don't I like about this movie?
  • Thank Gosh it's Monday's removal. I already talked about this in another topic so I don't have much to say, but it was fully animated, fully recorded, fully composed, written and sung, and fully ready to go for the release, and they just got rid of it. I mean, why is that? Given that I just saw the full music video, I feel it would've been a great way in.
  • There was no transition between normal life and apocalypse. I know it was a joke, and I know it was funny, but it somehow feels jarring to see it be so--like that.
  • It honestly felt that it could have been shorter. Not even counting the excessive time before and after the SpongeBob segments, I don't even know why, but it felt like somehow, it could've fit into a TV Movie.
  • Sandy's Superhero design sucks. Not only does the realism look unfitting next to the colorful cheeriness of the rest of them, it's unsettling to hear Sandy's voice come out of it and to have her power pretty much be galloping and spitting nuts.
Yet those are all remedial compared to how it ended. No, I'm not talking about the climax, that was pure awesomness. And I'm not talking about the rap battle, as I feel like I'm the only one who actually loved it. It was so out of nowhere and silly that I just had to laugh. I mean, they literally censored stuff! I'm talking about that they ultimately decided that after all the devolpent the two went through, all of the problems with society, all of the point of going to land to actually stop this problem, or literally every last thing in the movie... they decided to just completely forget it, because, you know what, "the status quo is God." Normally, with an episode like Nautical Novice I don't really mind it because it's really just an eleven minute comedy that the decided to use 30 seconds of just so it can fit with the show's lack of continuity. This ending is of a movie, where it needs a strong story to keep you interested. When you decided to not end every little thing you built up, all of the rest goes with it and it feels insulting. Even if it isn't at the end of the timeline, there still, needs, to be, SOMETHING!!!

Anyways, as a whole, this movie was a fun and enjoyable extension to the show. By movie standards, this would get something of a 7.5/10 for me.

2000sKid

Giant Clam
It's been a while since I saw the movie, but I remember it being surprisingly throw-back to the old Spongebob and I was STOKED. And the rap battle at the end was great too

WhoWantsStancakes

Now that I've watched it over 4 times, I have to say that this was honestly only okay in my book. Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining and I will probably watch it a few more times just for the animation and gags alone, but you can tell just how much Nickelodeon screwed over the movie. This doesn't give me much hope for the third movie and I'm very cautious about the new episodes.

5.7/10.

While the animation is beautiful and there are some great gags in the film, it falls flat and is underwhelming in several aspects. The plot feels like several episodes hamstrung together in haste. Like, the apocalypse was sudden and they should've had a sequence where they developed the situation. Karen basically murdering herself is never mentioned again. Them meeting Bubbles, while funny, is just a plot device to give them a reason to breath on land. The time-travel scenario is just 20 minutes of them doing stuff that is ultimately inconsequential to the plot. Mr. Krabs and Squidward preparing to squish SpongeBob is immediately dropped as soon as they smell Krabby Patties, and so is the apocalypse.. Why is he okay with teaming up with them, and why aren't there any repurcussions of the apoclaypse? What do I think they should've done? Maybe something to do more with time travel or something.. The formula shouldn't have even been involved at all, and it just makes the whole concept of the movie seem very cheap and a retread in some aspects of the first one. Burger-Beard, while Antonio Banderas' performance was great, wasn't very developed and wasn't that memorable of a villain. Setting it completely underwater would've had a more solid story structure, because well, they didn't have any plot reason for them to go onto land, besides marketing... It was really sudden and just threw me out of the plot. When they became superheroes as well, it was increasingly obivous the executives went to Hillenburg/Tibbit and said "Hey, those new fangled Marvel movies are doing well, have them become superheroes." (Also, their designs are just ugly when they're supheroes..) A more prominent flaw in the writing was how SpongeBob's characterization was kinda off, at least compared to Pre-Movie. See, SpongeBob is a childlike, inquisitive optimist, but in the movie, he's blindly optimistic and just really stupid in some sequences of the movie. When he asked Plankton if they outlawed clothes in the future, it seemed to me like the writers didn't understand how to write his character and thought he was stupid... I also don't like Patrick's jerky tinge they added to him here. Why would SpongeBob wanna remain friends with a moron who backstabbed him multiple times? And I get it, it's funny and he has a reason to, but geez.

On a more superficial level, some of the fart jokes such as the ketchup and mustard bit were just not funny..

Oh, and now for the MAJOR plot hole- How are SpongeBob and friends both a fictional story Burger-Beard can write, and they both exist at the same time?

It's like Glenn Burger and Johnathan Aibel treat us like we're stupid..

I don't think it was Hillenburg and Tibbit's fault, but it's proof that even if they get a bunch of the old crew back, it won't reach the highs of pre movie.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
WhoWantsStancakes said:
Now that I've watched it over 4 times, I have to say that this was honestly only okay in my book. Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining and I will probably watch it a few more times just for the animation and gags alone, but you can tell just how much Nickelodeon screwed over the movie. This doesn't give me much hope for the third movie and I'm very cautious about the new episodes.

5.7/10.

While the animation is beautiful and there are some great gags in the film, it falls flat and is underwhelming in several aspects. The plot feels like several episodes hamstrung together in haste. Like, the apocalypse was sudden and they should've had a sequence where they developed the situation. Karen basically murdering herself is never mentioned again. Them meeting Bubbles, while funny, is just a plot device to give them a reason to breath on land. The time-travel scenario is just 20 minutes of them doing stuff that is ultimately inconsequential to the plot. Mr. Krabs and Squidward preparing to squish SpongeBob is immediately dropped as soon as they smell Krabby Patties, and so is the apocalypse.. Why is he okay with teaming up with them, and why aren't there any repurcussions of the apoclaypse? What do I think they should've done? Maybe something to do more with time travel or something.. The formula shouldn't have even been involved at all, and it just makes the whole concept of the movie seem very cheap and a retread in some aspects of the first one. Burger-Beard, while Antonio Banderas' performance was great, wasn't very developed and wasn't that memorable of a villain. Setting it completely underwater would've had a more solid story structure, because well, they didn't have any plot reason for them to go onto land, besides marketing... It was really sudden and just threw me out of the plot. When they became superheroes as well, it was increasingly obivous the executives went to Hillenburg/Tibbit and said "Hey, those new fangled Marvel movies are doing well, have them become superheroes." (Also, their designs are just ugly when they're supheroes..) A more prominent flaw in the writing was how SpongeBob's characterization was kinda off, at least compared to Pre-Movie. See, SpongeBob is a childlike, inquisitive optimist, but in the movie, he's blindly optimistic and just really stupid in some sequences of the movie. When he asked Plankton if they outlawed clothes in the future, it seemed to me like the writers didn't understand how to write his character and thought he was stupid... I also don't like Patrick's jerky tinge they added to him here. Why would SpongeBob wanna remain friends with a moron who backstabbed him multiple times? And I get it, it's funny and he has a reason to, but geez.

On a more superficial level, some of the fart jokes such as the ketchup and mustard bit were just not funny..

Oh, and now for the MAJOR plot hole- How are SpongeBob and friends both a fictional story Burger-Beard can write, and they both exist at the same time?

It's like Glenn Burger and Johnathan Aibel treat us like we're stupid..

I don't think it was Hillenburg and Tibbit's fault, but it's proof that even if they get a bunch of the old crew back, it won't reach the highs of pre movie.
What Burger Beard writes, changes what happens.

The old crew didn't work on this movie I believe.

WhoWantsStancakes

Then that means he has reality-bending powers and can do anything he wants.

Also, Sherm Cohen, Hillenburg, Weise and Greenblatt (Greenblatt only for minor storyboards IIRC) worked on the movie, so they at least made somewhat of an effort to garner the old crew. As I said, I think it was more of a victim of Aibel and Burger and executive meddling, though.

Cha

I love SBM
So I got to see most of the movie online (so I still want to catch the full thing on dvd sometime) and

I think both movies were good in their own ways. One had a more emotional message of excepting who you are and another was just interesting to look at and to follow. Like wow, the animation looked like it was painted at times and I did like seeing the mix of CGI and live action. The settings for Gary and Sandy were very visualizing appealing. Though I do prefer the original movie's jokes, this second movie did bring some new things to the table. And who would have thought that the main villain and the hero would be cooperating together? I felt like the premises of this movie was actually more creative than the first. Literally the time traveling part between times is my favorite part, trippy stuff. The universe thing was so cool you don't even know. But they did overdo some ideas, having Bubbles and superheroes, pirate and talking seagulls AND a rap battle felt like hot mess at times. Tim Wilson's cameos. <33

SB replaying his voice, OH MY NEPTUNE HE'S MIXING GARBAGE AND RECYCLING and Squidasarus were the best.

PLANKTON BEING GOOD WAS SO PLEASING SMH.

Stupid nonsense which sums up the current series and some of the old, I don't mean this in a bad way at all.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
Even though I liked the first movie a lot better, I kinda feel like more effort was put into this one. Like, they really took their time to make it as good as they could.

I really loved this movie I saw it 5 times on dvd. A recored dvd brought from trade day. It makes me hope in future episodes SB and Plankton can be friends.

TheAngryWumbologyNerd

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
Yeah, I saw it. The animated part was fantastic, better than I expected. The live action / cgi part, not so much. Nearly all of the jokes missed after the traditionally animated part went away.

7.5-8/10

J-444

Floating Shopping List
I saw it last night, and I was pleased with the movie from beginning to end. I also managed to catch olive the backgound jokes except the skinny fish chasing 2 buff fish (in the Perch Perkins newscast). I watched all of the deleted scenes (with the exceptions of the storyboarded versions of "TGIM" and "Teamwork", and I found them all funny in their own right.

The line that stuck with me the most? "What do you mean, 'Seize Them'?" Also, I could classify the movie into 3 seperate "acts". It helps that the chapters total 18, and seeing each group of 6 further seals it.

1-6 (The Formula Vanishes) (Ends right before we see SB&P on the cliff edge.)
7-12 (Time Travel) (Ends right before we cut to the sacrifice outdoors.)
13-18 (All of the Advertising)

I also found the CGI stuff to be pretty formulatic:
Messing around exploring, meeting the bad guy and getting in a tough scenario, getting out, geting vengance and they all go back to normal. The chase scene was pretty formulatic, too (Everyone tries, one by one, before they each fail, and the surprise character gets the bad guy), but it DID vary it a little, with scenes such as Sandy's The Rodent's attempts to get BurgerBeard (Careful tightrope walking and "Nuts, I'm all out of nuts!" (Mrs. Puff does a rimshot again) and Squidward retaining his rock-hard abs. [spoiler3]If anyone tries to pull off a [acronym="Squidward Torture P@rn (Coined by The Mysterious Mr. Enter)"]STP[/acronym], Squidward might as well chest-bump them to where they came from.[/spoiler3])
Last but not least, I like Squidasaurus Rex ("And I thought MY friends were primitive!") and feel sorry for him to have such shot arms to not being able to eat a Krabby Patty. Allinol ("Bad Punz" rimshot)? 8.7/10.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
My review on the second SpongeBob SquarePants movie.

Writing: It's not as excellent as the first movie, but the writing is really great. It's a little slow paced at times, but the plot is executed well. 8/10
Humor: Some of the funny moments:
* "I just remember! I don't work for Mr. Krabs!"
* "Knock knock" joke
* Sandy going insane
* SpongeBob (from the past) asking future Plankton several questions
* Some of Bubbles' moments
* "My leg" gag
* "All secondary characters come with me."
* Patrick having a crush on an ice cream
Pretty decent even though the story matters more than the humor. 9/10
Characterization: What TVTropes has say about this is that most characters are in their old selves. I like it...no one is Flanderized whatsoever. Though I do feel like the townsfolks went too far with betraying SpongeBob. 9/10
Drama/Emotion: They handled it really well. 8/10
Animation: Compare the animation to seasons 6-9.1. It is much better than those seasons combined and it's on par with the first movie and seasons 4 and 5's animation. it is so free-flowing. I want to see more of this season 4/5 and movie-like animation in the future episodes. 10/10
Art style: It's the first animated movie in forever to be traditional animated. The 2D are more beautiful than the movie as the colors appear more brighter. The faces are a lot more expressive than usual. The 3D scenes were well done. It did has a Flash scene and that was decently animated. 10/10
Voice acting/Live action performance: The voice actors did a great performance as their characters. I really enjoyed hearing other familiar voice on seagulls. Antonio Banderas did a great job as Burger Beard. 10/10
So, to honor the birthday of Tom Kenny, I watched this movie. It is as great as the first one and I can't really decide the better movie. In terms of humor, the first movie handled it better. There is a different though: the first movie's humor seems a lot more crude that made it worthy as a PG rating. Here, not so much. The story of this movie was better because all of the main characters (well, I'm not counting Gary) were involved. The art and animation seems to improve from the previous movie. The facial expressions and how it was animated was a lot similar to most of seasons 4 and 5 (which I believe is the show's peaked animation). It was interesting to see that the whole movie seem to be based on some sort of storybook. The seagulls were great characters and while they were annoying at times, I find them to be funny. I liked that familiar names were voice them, particularly Barnacle Boy's voice actor, Kevin Michael Richardson (whose seagull sounds like Mr. Gus), and Billy West. the characters in the SpongeBob world stayed true to their old selves (with the occasional jerk Patrick). I hope fans of old seasons are happy about the show's creator being back. I thought he was done with SpongeBob for good. I hope he can remain for the remaining seasons. The soundtrack of this music were really catchy especially the time travel one (it's the first music play in the credits). The land scenes were awesome to watch even if the trailers seem to spoil too much of it (basically, the trailers relied on those scenes). So, all in all, I had a blast watching this movie and I hope the third movie is not a letdown. With this movie, I expect to see more traditional animation.
OVERALL SCORE: 4 stars out of 5 stars (movie style) / 9/10 (from a scale of 1 to 10)

Back