Sponge Out of Water The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Just watched it for the first time o_o I was thoroughly happy with this movie until the ending when Plankton got the bad guy and then that was it. I understood that Plankton had to be the hero but the ending to the first movie when and how Cyclops got defeated was way better than this ending. I felt it was a little lazy.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
ssj4gogita4 said:
Just watched it for the first time o_o I was thoroughly happy with this movie until the ending when Plankton got the bad guy and then that was it. I understood that Plankton had to be the hero but the ending to the first movie when and how Cyclops got defeated was way better than this ending. I felt it was a little lazy.
You hadn't seen it until now?

I watched SOOW recently and here are my thoughts on it:
-The 2D animation is gorgeous and better than the first movie's animation. The CGI character models were decent as well.
-Spongebob is surprisingly more mature in this movie than in the first movie (that one fart joke aside). I like how his voice was deeper, too.
-I wouldn't say this movie was hilarious, but I got a few laughs here and there.
-Patrick wasn't brain dead or a jerk, which is a step up from how he acted in some of the Seasons 6-8 episodes
-There was definitely more toilet humor in this movie than in the first movie and that may have been due to executive meddling
-Why didn't Mr. Krabs believe Spongebob when he said it wasn't Plankton's fault the formula vanished? Doesn't Mr. Krabs consider Spongebob one of his most trustworthy employees?
-The talking seagulls were annoying and they either shouldn't have talked or they shouldn't have been in the movie at all.
-You know what else didn't need to exist? The rap battle. It was unnecessary. The movie could've ended with that scene at the Krusty Krab. Probably another sign of executive meddling.
-Plankton and Spongebob working together was an interesting setup.

Overall, it wasn't a terrible movie, but it wasn't great, either. It's not bad to the point where I wouldn't see it again, though. I'd give it a 6.5 or a 7/10.

Excuse my fanboying for this movie. Don't get me wrong, I still love the movie and I stand by most of stuff I said in my review. I still think it's one of the most entertaining movies of 2015. But If there's one major conplaint I have with this movie is Burger Beard. Exclude a few plotholes, some dumb jokes and a few ooc moments; Burger Beard is the worst part of SOOW. The actor who played him gave a good performance and he was amusing at times but oh God, he was such a bland, cheesy, generic and unmemorable villain. He was just there to steal the formula and makes his version of krabby patties. That's all, he was a plot device. He was like human version of Plankton, except no humor nor demonic side whatsoever. His reasons to steal the formula in the deleted flashback scene was just poorly done, his reasonings are so dumb or told lazily. I don't expect him to be a compkex villain but he has no charm to make me care for this character whatsoover, he has to be the most uninteresting SpongeBob character ever. Heck I even prefer the seaguls, at least they try to be amusing and kept my attentiom. I'd take If he was like a Marvel villain (I like MCU but villains are bland for most part) that only porpose was to be evil but he doesn't even feel evil, he just feels like a jerk pirate. To sum up, the movie is still great but Burger Beard such a lame villain.

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
Now, I don't even have to look at the thread to know a lot of people HATED this movie. I know the general consensus is that the first one is miles better. To be honest, I loved this movie. I would say the first one is only about 5 percent better. You have to think about the context here. The first movie came out and episodes were still kind of airing (much more sporadically). For this movie, no one expected much. Spongebob the show was 15 years old and counting, and about 3 episodes had aired in the last 18 months. To finally see new content of my favorite show on the big screen was just a blast. I rewatched it a few times since, and I still feel the same way. Its a B+ movie. Everyone is on the adventure, there's the moral of team work, and the live action scenes to set up the premise was good. I just see all things pointing to a solid movie. Just IMO

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Great movie that I loved more than the first one.
I get that many people were disappointed at how the land scenes weren't that long, but I'm honestly happy that most of it was in Bikini Bottom, with 2D animation. 2D is such a rare find in a movie theater these days...
(Oh, and the rap battle slays XD)

NerdyKairi

Kairi is Back
I just find it a wild ride movie, like the whole thing is like a bizzare long episode but with Time Travel, Post-apocaliptic scenary, a rap battle and many many more bizzare things in it.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
The simplest way to say may feelings on this movie.

2D Parts: 9/10

3D Parts: 5/10

Overall it's pretty good but not as amazing as the first.

7.5/10

Edit: Watched the movie again, it's been about a year since I last saw it, and it was way better the second time, I'd give it an 8.5/10 now.

AngelSponge

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I remember seeing the movie with ten of my cousins, and I thought it was good. Not better than the first one but still good.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well shoot, is it time to review the second SpongeBob movie already? You know, I still play the mobile game based on this movie from time to time (and isn’t so weird that they ended up naming the third movie the same thing as this game????). Now that I’m thinking about that app, I’m thinking about how promotional games for movies have changed over the years. It used to be entire console video games, like the Movie Game. Now it’s apps. Or honestly, now no promotional games are made anymore. I miss those times. ANYWAY, let me get back on track.

So…I actually did not rewatch this movie like I rewatch the episodes I review. And the reason for this is that I simply don’t have time for that lol. But I’m confident that my review is still funky and fresh, because I’ve got a pretty good memory for this little movie here. I used to rewatch this bad boy all the time back in the day. Sponge Out Of Water was easily the biggest production SpongeBob SquarePants had to offer up until this point (and I mean…it’s probably the biggest production this show has ever had, given that it has the biggest budget out of all 3 movies…and the biggest box office results too). This movie’s got celebrities, two kinds of animation…just lots going for it. And you know what else it’s got? It’s got quality. Yeah, I’ll say it right here, with my whole chest. I like this movie. I like it a whole bunch. I know it’s popular to hate on it, or at least it was popular, once upon a time, but I was never with that. So let’s discuss.

Okay, so…reason number one I like this movie…the plot is great. The fact that this plot is built on SpongeBob and Plankton teaming up is great to me. Y’all know I already like this duo a lot, so this shouldn’t be surprising. It’s like “F.U.N.”, but with even more time spent with these two trying to work together. SpongeBob’s endless optimism with Plankton’s cynicism is a great mix, and it works every time! I loved Plankton in this movie, he was so funny, and I like seeing him not be the big bad for once, considering he was in the last movie. He even shows a bit of good in that 1% evil heart of his. And yeah, of course the movie has to end with things going back to the status quo, but I think it does this in a tasteful way, a way that doesn’t feel like a slap in the face after everything we’d seen up to that point.

The visuals of this movie are also fantastic, which isn’t a surprise. If anything, I wish this movie had more color, but I’m happy with the art direction as it is. Character designs? This movie’s got ‘em and it’s got ‘em good. Everything about Bubbles is super cool, including his little hideout. The time travel scenes here are super cool looking as well. And I love the look of apocalyptic Bikini Bottom. Have y’all seen some of the concept art for this movie? Super cool stuff in there, I have it as background pictures on my computer. Also, the backgrounds in this movie are excellent (1, 2, 3). Speaking of art direction, I love the music in this movie. Specifically Squeeze Me. That’s some good ish right there. Also, the credits are so cute! I remember being mesmerized watching these when I used to rewatch this movie regularly. Still mesmerized now, honestly.

The first half of this movie was almost perfect, if we’re being real. The opening scene with the attack on the Krusty Krab was hilarious and expressive, and super fun to watch. And then I loved the bit with Mr. Krabs using SpongeBob as a torture device, too funny. Makes me think of “Whale Watching”. Everything with the apocalypse thing is super funny to me, especially when it just suddenly is the apocalypse. And SpongeBob trying to convince Plankton to work as a team is also entertaining.

Now, just because I like the first half of this movie more doesn’t mean that the second part of the movie is bad. I like the part where they leave the ocean and go to the surface, the 3D-animated SpongeBob and co. look really good! And I love the idea of them becoming superheroes, it’s fun, and a movie cliche. Also, Antonio Banderas is just too funny as Burger Beard. This part of the movie really feels like the part for kids, more so than any other part of the movie, and I’m fine with that. This is a show for children, after all, and I think a lot of critiques of this show in general would do well to remember that.

There are some things that I don’t like in this movie. My main complaint has to do with the first half of this movie, hence why I said it was “almost perfect”. See, the first half of this movie benches a lot of the main characters really hard. Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Patrick, Squidward…they’re all given very little to do, which also means that only characters with substance in this movie are SpongeBob and Plankton. This is fine for an episode…not a movie. I would’ve enjoyed a B-plot very much. And I mean come on, this is a movie, it could’ve afforded having a sideplot, that’s what these extended runtimes are for!

In general, “Sponge On The Run” is a pretty good movie. It channels a lot of the feel of the first movie, but with bigger stakes and bigger name-recognition, and I’m cool with that. Yeah, maybe it doesn’t have the kind of “heart of the show” type of plot that the first movie did, but it doesn’t need to. The first movie had that, this movie has fun times basking in its popularity. A long-running show like SpongeBob SquarePants deserves to do that every once in a while.

Movie Tier: Amazing

Back