Sponge Out of Water The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

Squidina

Tintenfisch
Well, I finally saw it today. In German and 3d.

First thing, 3d apparently gives me headaches because my eyes try to focus and make it "look normal".. so, despite the glasses, it wasn't comfortable. (To be fair, I've had the experience with all 3d).

The next thing, I miss Squidward's old German voice SO much! It's going to take some time to get used to the new actor. (The first German voice for Squidward, Eberhard Prüter, died last Oct).

For the movie itself, I loved it. It was certainly worth seeing in the theatre, and the headache from 3d. ;)

I'm a little confused, the scene with Squidward and the six-pack rings, where he gets tangled up in them, that wasn't in the movie? Well, it wasn't shown here, apparently.

I got a kick out of the jokes and really liked seeing everyone's superhero forms in action.

The into, that is the whole build up to them going above water seemed very drawn out, while the scenes above water seemed rather rushed in a way. I guess I'd just have liked to see more of them discovering the world on land. There were so many great potential for jokes and hilarity if they'd given it a little more time. Particularly as it seemed like there weren't many new things that weren't already shown in the trailers.

So, that would be my only real "negative critique".

Otherwise, as said, I enjoyed it a lot!

Sour Note pulling out his clarinet for the first time, like a telescoping night stick, was just SO cool!

And Plankton, OMG! So awesome! The whole hing with him, even before the PlankTON part, I was thrilled!

Krabs' superhero (sorry, I forget his alias) was neat. Really nice reference to "Krab Borg", of course. ;)

Oh, and "Finland!", LOL!

I really liked the movie.

Also the rap battle at the end was great!

Aaaand, seeing Squidward do his interpretive dance in the credits was like the cherry on the icing on the cake! (I've always loved that dance he'd done, so that was great to know they hadn't forgotten it). I'd really love a GIF of that.

I will deff be getting this on 3d Blu Ray when it comes out. (We're getting a 3d TV, so I'm going to HAVE to try and get used to 3d at some point anyway - or get used to having headaches.)

Oh, I got to keep the 3d glasses from the theatre. That's a new one on me.. I've always only "borrowed" them for the movie and had to return them afterwards).

Noah Spongy

FIRETRUCK CLOWNS
Alright, I'm gonna give my opinion on this, and I thought the movie was great! I'll separate the review into two sections, the good and the bad.

Good
  • The jokes were phenomenal. (I especially liked the Tire Joke, that whole scene with Gary as the king of snails, etc.)
  • My leg and Finland.
  • Team Work song.
  • This wasn't the actual movie, but when SpongeBob said "serious aft kicking", some guy near my table at the theater obnoxiously said, " Ha ha! He said a$$!" So that was...interesting.
  • The relationship of SpongeBob and Plankton.
  • The time machine scenes. It was a great place to put Squeeze Me in.
  • I have to admit, the rap battle was actually pretty good.
Bad
  • The seagulls weren't that funny. It was especially cringe-worthy when they out of the blue started singing the SpongeBob theme song while Burger Beard was reading the book.
  • Most of the people on land were pretty annoying. I didn't like the kid that kicked the sand castle's line. I didn't mind the people tripping over each other during the bicycle scene, though.
That's all I can think of now. I might add some more in if I think of more.

CaptainJZH

Frozen Cephalopod
MasiHosseini said:
Really? Did nobody noticed the "he cried for 20 minutes joke" (when robot Plankton was crying)?
I noticed it!

And now for my thoughts on the movie (I just saw it today). I thought it was really good. The jokes were mostly spot on. I wish some of the scenes from the trailer were there, notably Squidward getting stuck in the plastic 6-pack rings and the "Thank Gosh It's Monday" song. But overall, this was a terrific SpongeBob movie. Regarding Bubbles the Dolphin... I compare him Gorilla and Zebra at the end of I Had An Accident.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
President Squidward said:
Why does everyone hate the seagulls so much? Mr. Gus freakin voiced one of them.
tbh, I loved the seagulls. I also did notice that one of them sounded like Mr. Gus :P

Squidina

Tintenfisch
I didn't mind the seagulls. I thought the SB song was funny. (But I like the typical Patchy and Potty stuff too, in the series, soo..)

I noticed a mistake, though. When they're going to sacrifice SB, w/ Squiddy as the executioner, he puts his executioner mask on twice. Odd that I noticed that, because I usually don't notice mistakes like that the first time around.. Guess it's 'cause I was staring at Squiddy dressed up like that. ;)

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Squidina said:
I didn't mind the seagulls. I thought the SB song was funny. (But I like the typical Patchy and Potty stuff too, in the series, soo..)

I noticed a mistake, though. When they're going to sacrifice SB, w/ Squiddy as the executioner, he puts his executioner mask on twice. Odd that I noticed that, because I usually don't notice mistakes like that the first time around.. Guess it's 'cause I was staring at Squiddy dressed up like that. ;)
Cool, I'll have to keep an eye on that mistake the next time I watch it. But nonetheless, I don't even remember seeing any mistakes in the movie. But one thing that did kinda bother me was Sandy trying to push the human into the water. I know she knew about it and said something, but I still don't get why she was pushing with them anyways.

(And shes REALLY strong so she should have been able to push him, just saying) :P

Tstarr

I'm not a Krusty Krab.
So I said before I like the movie, but I've been thinking more about it recently, and I'm kinda split on it now, even after seeing it again.

Pros:
- The animation is top notch..
- Some really good jokes.
- More characters involved. One problem the first movie had was that some characters like Sandy and Squidward didn't do much. They have bigger roles here.
- Good references to the show. It has some very clever references in there. One I really liked was when Patrick said "Finland." As you can tell by my profile picture, I love Frankendoodle. It's one of my favorite episodes of the show, and it made me really happy they referenced that episode.

Cons:
- Some of the jokes aren't as funny a second time
- Not much of a story to it. But this doesn't bug me too much because this is a comedy, and the show wasn't made to be a really detailed story or anything like that.
- It feels like a long episode.
-Plankton's character arc is completely changed at end. This could've been handled better. He even says he's trying to change things back to the way they were.
- Although I did say the show wasn't made to be some moral teaching one, the first movie still did this pretty well. Spongebob did learn a lesson on his journey, and I think that was one of the first movie's biggest strengths. This one doesn't have much of one.
-At the end, it just feels kinda pointless. I'm still not sure what this brings to the show. The first movie may not have been great, but it has a purpose, and was supposed to be the series finale. I still consider it the absolute final event in Spongebob, even with these newer episodes. With this one, it just feels like something that happened before the first movie came along.
-Filler ending. It was kinda funny, but did it really need to be there?

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Halibut said:
I'll just say it now, I wasn't very fond of it. It was definitely good, it would obviously be good, but dear god was it much weaker than I expected. First of all, and this kind of my biggest problem with the movie, the movie honestly felt like it could have easily been a 2-part special on TV. I get that with a lot of the 3D parts, it wouldn't be profitable at all, but the plot itself was brittle. It could have done well as a TV special, but it was stretched out thinner than it already is by turning it into a feature film to watch in theaters. In the first movie, it did very well as a film, but that's because the plot was solid enough to outstretch such a long length. With this movie, the plot was simply too weak to turn into a movie. That doesn't mean the crew didn't try, though. The people in charge of the movie did very well on giving the illusion that it was a solid plot, but that's only because a lot of the people working on the movie were animation gods and they were very good at taking a weak plot and turning it into a movie. The plot itself wasn't very good, though.
My second issue with the movie was its theme. In the first movie, the theme is that SpongeBob doesn't want to be considered a kid which is why he goes through the peril: to test his manliness. That's a very unique theme, and it was pulled off well. The underlying theme in Sponge Out of Water was... teamwork. That's basically it. Yeah, the whole lesson in this movie was simply that teamwork is good. And the "teamwork" theme wasn't even pulled off well. It was insanely blatant. Yes, the superhero idea was objectively good, but for me, it was fairly obvious that it was there to push the idea of teamwork. Actually, I don't dislike the ways it was shown, it's just that I dislike the fact that it was so obvious.
Frankly, those were the only 2 big issues I had with the movie. There are a lot of small things though. First of all, the baby thing where he said "SPENGBAB" wasn't funny and was very, very half-a$$ed in the way it was added. Also, the rap battle. I've seen that a lot of people who liked the movie at least disliked the rap battle, and I am with them. It was very unfunny and was so awkward, I was near legitimately cringing when I saw it. Also, the pirate himself and the seagulls were pretty annoying, especially the seagulls. But yeah, those are the only big flaws I can come up with regarding the movie. It's time for me to be positive for a second.
First of all, the special effects were FLAWLESS. The 3D scenes weren't just good, they were spectacular. I loved every single bit of it. The only small issue I had with the 3D honestly is Plankton's Hulk-esque design. I get that it's supposed to be funny, but I found it kind of ugly. Besides that, it was pretty awesome. Also, I'd be lying if I said I didn't absolutely love the humor in this episode. From the "tiny piano" bit to the Squidward dinosaur which I honestly found awesome in its surrealness, the jokes in the episode were definitely above average. As a final note, I really liked the credits scene. Especially how they called back stuff like Squidward's dance in culture shock. Plus, Squeeze Me is actually not that bad of a song even though I know that a lot of people dislike it.
That's all I have to say about the movie. The plot and the theme were a very huge disappointment. I mean come on, the movie ended with everything back to normal with no unique or graceful moment. If the first movie did that instead of the freeze frame of SpongeBob jumping in glee, it would have been inexcusable. While saying that, the good aspects of the movie were absolutely amazing. I loved the animation and the jokes, which were the 2 saving graces that stopped me from hating the movie. The movie in general, was good. It wasn't great, but it was good. I give it a...
7/10
"Also, the rap battle. I've seen that a lot of people who liked the movie at least disliked the rap battle, and I am with them. It was very unfunny and was so awkward, I was near legitimately cringing when I saw it. Also, the pirate himself and the seagulls were pretty annoying, especially the seagulls."

Completely agree. I cringed so freaking hard my eyeballs bled. It's like the writers sat down with a team of executives and said "What do the kids like these days? RAP! And uh... TOILET HUMOR! and uh... ANNOYING CGI SIDEKICKS!!"

The art in the film was fantastic, but it felt like it was talking down to its audience.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I'm curious to know if people would have cared if at the end of the movie, they got Kenny G to do a smooth jazz version of the SpongeBob theme song instead of the ERB guys, who I've watched their videos on YouTube on from time to time and actually enjoyed personally. My opinion, despite the fact I'm not too big on smooth jazz myself, would have been the same. The song is pretty much at the end of the movie and not slapped in the middle or beginning of it and wouldn't have affected my enjoyment of the movie much at all. I also still really like the Garfunkel and Oates songs that were used for the film, given how I was already a fan of theirs before and had some familiarity with their work.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
I'm curious to know if people would have cared if at the end of the movie, they got Kenny G to do a smooth jazz version of the SpongeBob theme song
giphy.gif

As in, yes I would have cared.

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
I'm curious to know if people would have cared if at the end of the movie, they got Kenny G to do a smooth jazz version of the SpongeBob theme song instead of the ERB guys, who I've watched their videos on YouTube on from time to time and actually enjoyed personally. My opinion, despite the fact I'm not too big on smooth jazz myself, would have been the same. The song is pretty much at the end of the movie and not slapped in the middle or beginning of it and wouldn't have affected my enjoyment of the movie much at all. I also still really like the Garfunkel and Oates songs that were used for the film, given how I was already a fan of theirs before and had some familiarity with their work.
Obviously, they should have Kelpy G do it instead.

TheuglyBarnacle

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I've been thinking and I've concluded my expectations should have been different. As pointed out, the first movie was supposed to be the end of the series, so they had to go out with a bang. Before seeing any footage for the film, I thought it was gonna be more like an adventure, like the first movie. I realized that this is what I should have expected, a funny comedy with adventure elements and something that is just there to be fun, and the movie is all of those things. I thought it was very funny. Sure there are cringy moments, but it was a decent film. I'd give it 3/4. But I would have liked it better, but not by much. I love film and I am on board 100%. I hope they get into development in a year or two at least and make it great!

Edit: I just realized that this movie actually has a great sense of adventure, at least for most of it. The reason this movie isn't better is because of the CG scenes. The whole movie builds up to this epic climax and then it just takes a break to tell some jokes without having any sense of danger or fun. It's just so calm and nonchalant. If they fixed the climax, the movie would have been better.

SarahGiraffe

Giant Clam
I finally got to see it last night. I mostly enjoyed the plot, and thought the animation was great. I thought the rap battle was pretty lame and cheesy. It felt out of place. I also could've done without the ketchup/mustard joke. They don't really do that type of humor in the show, so it didn't need to be in the movie, either. It's just embarrassing.

One thing that upset me was when Mr. Krabs thought Spongebob had betrayed him and was working with Plankton all of those years. I felt bad for Spongebob losing Mr. Krabs' trust, even though they didn't touch on that again once that scene was over.

I will have to say that the first movie was better, though, and it had more of a plot (an actual adventure) than this one.

I don't mean to repeat what everyone else has been saying. These are my actual personal opinions.

I would watch the movie again, though. It's not the best, but it's still Spongebob and I think the good parts outweigh the bad parts.

ScumBob

sicko m0de
I think some of the people who worked on The Mighty B! could have worked on the sequence where SpongeBob and Plankton try to get the key off of Patrick's neck. Can someone tell me if this is correct or not?

Mistake: Burger Beard says, "There's no magical talking dolphin in this story" when he clearly was. He read it himself.

Supmandude

Squog
SpongeCob said:
Mistake: Burger Beard says, "There's no magical talking dolphin in this story" when he clearly was. He read it himself.
No, he'd stopped reading it by that point, right? The page falling into the water affected the outcome of the story so things that he hadn't originally read happened. At least that's the way I remember it. I still haven't had the chance to watch it a second time yet.

ScumBob

sicko m0de
Supmandude said:
No, he'd stopped reading it by that point, right? The page falling into the water affected the outcome of the story so things that he hadn't originally read happened. At least that's the way I remember it. I still haven't had the chance to watch it a second time yet.
I've seen it more than once. He stops reading the story after SpongeBob and Plankton get the fake formula back, and they meet Bubbles before they get it back.

Back