• Moviebob

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Modern SpongeBob Animation

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Cheekbob (season 6 version)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Noodlebob knock-off (Season 4-5)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 2004 produced early season 4 (season 3 lookalikes)

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Greenblattbob (Dying for Pie and Fear of a Krabby Patty)

Votes: 21 16.7%

• Total voters

PizzaApple

Giant Clam
I had cable and I still watched it as a kid. My parents didn’t get rid of the cable until I was 13.
Oh. I only had cable from when I was 11 till I was 13. So PBS Kids and Qubo were 90% of what I watched on TV, until I got Netflix on the Wii when I was around 8. They were a most iconic duo in my childhood. Of course I could watch SpongeBob and other movies on DVD as well.

I was always kinda jealous of kids who had cable growing up, but now I realize if I didn't have cable I would've never watched Curious George or The Berenstain Bears or Zula Patrol or 321 Penguins or Marvin the Tap-Dancing Horse, or the great Jacob Two-Two! So I guess I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Last edited:

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Oh. I only had cable from when I was 11 till I was 13. So PBS Kids and Qubo were 90% of what I watched on TV, until I got Netflix on the Wii when I was around 8. They were a most iconic duo in my childhood. Of course I could watch SpongeBob and other movies on DVD as well.

I was always kinda jealous of kids who had cable growing up, but now I realize if I didn't have cable I would've never watched Curious George or The Berenstain Bears or Zula Patrol or 321 Penguins or Marvin the Tap-Dancing Horse, or the great Jacob Two-Two! So I guess I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I only watched Qubo at my grandma's house and at my mom's friends house since they didn't have cable.

Nowadays you don't need PBS or Qubo if you don't have cable since everyone has streaming.

PizzaApple

Giant Clam
I only watched Qubo at my grandma's house and at my mom's friends house since they didn't have cable.

Nowadays you don't need PBS or Qubo if you don't have cable since everyone has streaming.
Yeah, that was just the old days before Netflix and stuff. I had the reverse situation of you, I watched public TV at home and cable at other people's houses. You can't actually watch Qubo anymore as they shut it down on February 28, 2021, almost two years ago. I think the channel was on its way down already before then; it started having infomercials instead of Qubo Night Owl on January 7, 2019, effectively making the channel cease to be a 24-hour network. I started watching Qubo less during the day, sometime between 2012-2014, as that was the time they started adding new shows and taking old ones away. I would still watch it at night longer, until I got cable in 2016, because I thought the shows in the night were better.

In my opinion, February 18, 2012 was the turning point in Qubo's history, the one moment that would begin the wane in my Qubo viewership habits. The beginning of the end. This was when the first Dex Hamilton ads came on, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Then my favorite shows, like 321 Penguins and Pecola would become less common on the network as they had to make room for new shows. I will admit I REALLY liked some of the new shows like ToddWorld, Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs, and Archie's Weird Mysteries, and they were great additions to the network, but there were also shows I didn't really like like Denver the Last Dinosaur. Then some of the shows I watched in preschool started leaving the network entirely. Boo! and Maisy were early casualties, being removed on June 29, 2012, but other shows would get removed over the years. By the last week only two of the shows of the original lineup, Jane and the Dragon and Babar, were still around. I'd say Qubo hit the point of no return in 2019, when the channel ceased to be 24/7 and Mike the Knight got added! I hate that show's art style so much.

Okay rant over lol.

TiredandFeathered

Earl’s Revenge
Thanks to @glurtzen on Discord for finding this. It's a bunch of Color BG books that were found in Rough Draft Korea in a tour for students

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Thanks to @glurtzen on Discord for finding this. It's a bunch of Color BG books that were found in Rough Draft Korea in a tour for students

I find it interesting how late Hello Bikini Bottom was shipped compared to the rest of season 8. It says it was shipped March 23, 2012, which explains why it's final production code was signed off as 178, despite being concieved somewhere in the middle of the season. It was the only season 8 episode besides It's a SpongeBob Christmas that wasn't shipped overseas by the end of 2011.

This could explain the weird airing order of the season 8 holdovers in late 2012 airing with HD episodes.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish

A Sandy cel from season 1 as well as a timing sheet.

korea.jpg

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
''just one bite'' and "The Bully" are the first two episodes to not have the dot crawl effect, likely from being mastered on superior video formats.

I think that's because they were the first episodes to be transferred using YBPBPR as opposed to composite.

Nasty Patty/Idiot Box had dot crawl and were the last episodes to have them, they were probably completed before Just One Bite/The Bully.

Post movie has dot crawl but it's very rare.

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
I keep hearing people say cel animated shows use computers to mix the sound. That's BS.

After the cels are captured on film, they mix the sound and voices on a telecline machine, many cel animated shows as late as the early 00s used zero computers during production.
what's the first animated show to use digital animation?

Back