Every Episode of SpongeBob Reviewed: A Video Series

BrutalWreckage

New Member
I'll admit: I will definitely be VERY shocked if Pieguy somehow enjoys the atrocity known as "Ink Lemonade". Of course, I'd accept his opinion and go on with my life at the end of the day, but him liking that one would be very unreal. I know Intrancity likes it, but he's known for having ridiculously controversial opinions, ESPECIALLY that one!

Sadly, it'll be a long time before we finally find out that opinion, given the fact that Season 11 is still airing and also because of the fact that there are so many episodes once again, AND the fact that Pieguy probably will need a break from SpongeBob. I'm gonna predict that Season 11 won't be out until 2020, late 2019 at the earlier IF we somehow get lucky.
 

Klu

Well-Known Member
I'm not even sure if it's right to post here... But I wanted to say that I really didn't like s10 review. And this is not the matter of "Sportz" being called good or something. PieGuy can have his own opinions.
The thing is, in the past videos, even if I disagreed with PieGuy (on how he disliked "Back to the Past" or "Patrick: The Game", for instance), his arguments were so good that I easily could accept that and could easily get his point of view. But in this video most episode reviews seem shallow and rushed. PieGuy almost never go in-depth about how episode wasn't good enough. I heard too many times during this video about how that or that episode wasn't funny, but how exactly this episode wasn't funny? Apparently "The Getaway" now is lesser version of "SpongeBob meets the Strangler", despite not having ANYTHING in common besides the fact that SpongeBob interacts with the criminal. "Lost and Found" was too disturbing somehow, despite time and time again PieGuy said that SpongeBob is a comedy that viewers shouldn't take seriously. And background were distracting. Gee, I hope Nick never re-realese Wet Painters on HD, because PieGuy wouldn't be able to watch it. You know, BACKGROUNDS are too detailed here.
And I didn't understand why PieGuy even liked "Sportz". He didn't explained his opinion well, at all. He never adressed glaring issues with this episode, like having all main characters being in this episods pure OOC. He just said that it was kind of funny... and how it was funny? In this review I almost didn't see any examples on how this episode was, apperently, funny, or funnier than "Unreal Estate" and "MermaidPants" combined.
Welp, I even got the feeling that some of reviews in thise video were controversial on purpose, to get more views, but I really hope that this isn't the case.

I really liked this series of reviews, I really did. But this video was too shallow and rushed for me to enjoy it. It's kind of funny how PieGuy analyzed 9B much more, while having more episodes to work on.
 

BrutalWreckage

New Member
Klu said:
I'm not even sure if it's right to post here... But I wanted to say that I really didn't like s10 review. And this is not the matter of "Sportz" being called good or something. PieGuy can have his own opinions.
The thing is, in the past videos, even if I disagreed with PieGuy (on how he disliked "Back to the Past" or "Patrick: The Game", for instance), his arguments were so good that I easily could accept that and could easily get his point of view. But in this video most episode reviews seem shallow and rushed. PieGuy almost never go in-depth about how episode wasn't good enough. I heard too many times during this video about how that or that episode wasn't funny, but how exactly this episode wasn't funny? Apparently "The Getaway" now is lesser version of "SpongeBob meets the Strangler", despite not having ANYTHING in common besides the fact that SpongeBob interacts with the criminal. "Lost and Found" was too disturbing somehow, despite time and time again PieGuy said that SpongeBob is a comedy that viewers shouldn't take seriously. And background were distracting. Gee, I hope Nick never re-realese Wet Painters on HD, because PieGuy wouldn't be able to watch it. You know, BACKGROUNDS are too detailed here.
And I didn't understand why PieGuy even liked "Sportz". He didn't explained his opinion well, at all. He never adressed glaring issues with this episode, like having all main characters being in this episods pure OOC. He just said that it was kind of funny... and how it was funny? In this review I almost didn't see any examples on how this episode was, apperently, funny, or funnier than "Unreal Estate" and "MermaidPants" combined.
Welp, I even got the feeling that some of reviews in thise video were controversial on purpose, to get more views, but I really hope that this isn't the case.

I really liked this series of reviews, I really did. But this video was too shallow and rushed for me to enjoy it. It's kind of funny how PieGuy analyzed 9B much more, while having more episodes to work on.
Three points:

1) He said in his Sportz? review what jokes he found funny
2) He gave more reasons for not liking Lost and Found than the background. He also stated how he didn't like the crying baby, the dark nature of the fact that the elderly people have been there forever, and how it wasn't too funny to him (I personally enjoyed the episode, but I can respect and understand Pieguy's opinion on it).
3) Like I've stated before, his Season 10 review was going to be controversial no matter what. It is too polarized of a season and even if he had rated Sportz? ScumBob or gave more Good ratings, many still would've been upset (I.E. random YouTube commenters).

I respect your opinion on the review, I just wanted to make a few points here. I'm glad you at least acknowleged that Pieguy liking Sportz? is not a crime.
 

Klu

Well-Known Member
SpongeNicko said:
Three points:

1) He said in his Sportz? review what jokes he found funny
2) He gave more reasons for not liking Lost and Found than the background. He also stated how he didn't like the crying baby, the dark nature of the fact that the elderly people have been there forever, and how it wasn't too funny to him (I personally enjoyed the episode, but I can respect and understand Pieguy's opinion on it).
3) Like I've stated before, his Season 10 review was going to be controversial no matter what. It is too polarized of a season and even if he had rated Sportz? ScumBob or gave more Good ratings, many still would've been upset (I.E. random YouTube commenters).

I respect your opinion on the review, I just wanted to make a few points here. I'm glad you at least acknowleged that Pieguy liking Sportz? is not a crime.
1. Just rewatched for sake of the argument, he mentioned two gags, that's it. Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno. Though, this is still not helping the case, since obviously comedy isn't strong enough, especially compared to his favorites in season 10, to save this episode from mediocrity. He just glossed over every flaw the episode has. If he likes it, that's okay, I'm asking for not blind "praising", but more or less objective perspective, which this video clearly lacks most of the time.
2. I already said that "dark nature" of kids being in Lost and Found is just strange to me. It's not the first time SpongeBob has dark implications in his comedy. If we over-analyze everything, everything can become dark and twisted. Wooo, Mr.Krabs doesn't pay SpongeBob, SpongeBob is a slave, this is really dark, literally unwatchable. Really, only one point I understood is kid's crying, but he over-exaggerated presence of crying in the episode. It could've been better if episode never did more than scene one about it, but this is not the worst thing in the world.
3. I'm fine with opinions if they has good reasoning. If I say "lol band geeks is terrible episode" this would've been just controversy for sake of it. If I said the same opinion with somewhat strong arguments, then it's okay. PieGuy already did that in the past numerous times. It wasn't the first time he defended or liked the episode I didn't care for or criticized the episode I was fan of. The difference in the reviews themselves. They were elaborated and in-depth, even when episode itself didn't offer that much of a substance.

That's how I feel about this review. I hope his season 11 video will be miles better than his season 10 video.
 

BrutalWreckage

New Member
1. Just rewatched for sake of the argument, he mentioned two gags, that's it. Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno. Though, this is still not helping the case, since obviously comedy isn't strong enough, especially compared to his favorites in season 10, to save this episode from mediocrity. He just glossed over every flaw the episode has. If he likes it, that's okay, I'm asking for not blind "praising", but more or less objective perspective, which this video clearly lacks most of the time.
2. I already said that "dark nature" of kids being in Lost and Found is just strange to me. It's not the first time SpongeBob has dark implications in his comedy. If we over-analyze everything, everything can become dark and twisted. Wooo, Mr.Krabs doesn't pay SpongeBob, SpongeBob is a slave, this is really dark, literally unwatchable. Really, only one point I understood is kid's crying, but he over-exaggerated presence of crying in the episode. It could've been better if episode never did more than scene one about it, but this is not the worst thing in the world.
3. I'm fine with opinions if they has good reasoning. If I say "lol band geeks is terrible episode" this would've been just controversy for sake of it. If I said the same opinion with somewhat strong arguments, then it's okay. PieGuy already did that in the past numerous times. It wasn't the first time he defended or liked the episode I didn't care for or criticized the episode I was fan of. The difference in the reviews themselves. They were elaborated and in-depth, even when episode itself didn't offer that much of a substance.

That's how I feel about this review. I hope his season 11 video will be miles better than his season 10 video.
1) When it comes to the number of gags you find funny, you have to take into consideration a couple of things. Namely, how funny were those gags, and whether or not those gags got in the way of your enjoyment of the story. For Pieguy, both criteria seemed to be met just fine. Also, he DID say the episode almost got a meh and wasn't even near his Top 5 of the season. It's not like he stated it was the greatest episode of the show since Chocolate With Nuts. Now if he said that, THEN I'd understand the backlash to a small extent. Also, Pieguy has made it clear from the beginning that he is NOT some objective reviewer. Pieguy has always stated that his reviews are purely his opinions and are by no means godsend. Pieguy's always been the guy you watch because his videos are entertaining and you're curious to hear his perspectives on episodes. He's never been the type of critic to just flat out say, "Yep, this is objectively a bad episode".

2) See, for you this comes down to a different perspective than him. You personally aren't bothered by the dark nature (Neither am I quite frankly, just wanted to point that out), while he personally is. He's complained about unfortunate implications before in other episodes I.E. Sun Bleached. And that fact combined with the crying baby (which he explained he didn't like not just for being annoying, but also for taking time away from the main story) and the fact that it was boring enough to him that he found himself searching for easter eggs was enough for him to not enjoy the episode.

3) I honestly think Pieguy reasoned most of his opinions well enough. He did explain how he wasn't a fan of the rehashing of certain ideas in episodes (Heck, he EVEN acknowledged that he can understand why people might like the episodes if they're more forgiving of rehashed ideas), and how he simply just wasn't a fan of the humor due to how dumbed down it was. I doubt he's being controversial for the sake of being controversial. Do you really think he is aware of the infamy Sportz? has as well as the warm reception to Unreal Estate or Burst Your Bubble? Unless he somehow secretly browses these SpongeBob boards 24/7, I highly doubt it.

That's all I've got to say.
 

Pieguyrulz

One Coarse Me
Not at all surprised that some of my opinions are controvertial. Season 10 is still recent, for such a long time we were stuck with season 9. The latest two seasons of SB are always hotly debated in terms of quality, before eventually people reach a general consensus about the qualjty of the season and episodes. This usually happens because people haven't seen the episodes many times and just go with their gut in loving or hating an episode. As for Sportz, no matter how many rants I read, I will never understand that level of hate for the episode.
 

BrutalWreckage

New Member
Not at all surprised that some of my opinions are controvertial. Season 10 is still recent, for such a long time we were stuck with season 9. The latest two seasons of SB are always hotly debated in terms of quality, before eventually people reach a general consensus about the qualjty of the season and episodes. This usually happens because people haven't seen the episodes many times and just go with their gut in loving or hating an episode. As for Sportz, no matter how many rants I read, I will never understand that level of hate for the episode.
Me either. I still believe that people only are bashing on it because they wanted to have a new infamous episode in Season 10. The episode to me was merely a slightly lesser, but still good, version of Skill Crane or Snowball Effect.

I just think the level of hate you've gotten from liking Sportz? is absurd. One guy on SBC (Known as Honest Slug here on SBM), got so triggered over your opinion that he literally changed his username to "Godly Sportz Originality". I mean come on, seriously? Why does everyone have to agree with each other on the worst SB episodes?

Thanks for liking my comments BTW. I hope you go more into detail with your Sportz? defense when you do the Season 10 commentary video.
 
I said I was done with this forum for the time being, but there are some egregious statements in here that blatantly put some of the reaction to the video in a negative manner with completely misguided merit.

Perry The Platypus said:
I really don't see what the big deal with Sportz is. It's not great but far from bad enough for people to freak out over him liking it.
It's not solely because he likes the episode, and the complaints aren't even solely against Sportz as some of the issues with that segment highlight issues with the video in general. Klu already made some good points before so I'll highlight those

Klu said:
The thing is, in the past videos, even if I disagreed with PieGuy, his arguments were so good that I easily could accept that and could easily get his point of view. But in this video most episode reviews seem shallow and rushed. PieGuy almost never go in-depth about how episode wasn't good enough. I heard too many times during this video about how that or that episode wasn't funny, but how exactly this episode wasn't funny? Apparently "The Getaway" now is lesser version of "SpongeBob meets the Strangler", despite not having ANYTHING in common besides the fact that SpongeBob interacts with the criminal. "Lost and Found" was too disturbing somehow, despite time and time again PieGuy said that SpongeBob is a comedy that viewers shouldn't take seriously.
And I didn't understand why PieGuy even liked "Sportz". He didn't explained his opinion well, at all. He never adressed glaring issues with this episode, like having all main characters being in this episods pure OOC. He just said that it was kind of funny... and how it was funny? In this review I almost didn't see any examples on how this episode was, apperently, funny, or funnier than "Unreal Estate" and "MermaidPants" combined.
Klu said:
1. Just rewatched for sake of the argument, he mentioned two gags, that's it. Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno. Though, this is still not helping the case, since obviously comedy isn't strong enough, especially compared to his favorites in season 10, to save this episode from mediocrity. He just glossed over every flaw the episode has. If he likes it, that's okay, I'm asking for not blind "praising", but more or less objective perspective, which this video clearly lacks most of the time.

It wasn't the first time he defended or liked the episode I didn't care for or criticized the episode I was fan of. The difference in the reviews themselves. They were elaborated and in-depth, even when episode itself didn't offer that much of a substance.
His criticisms are half-baked or self-contradictory. For example, he hammers in on episodes for being too similar to past ones with leaps in logic that are stretching, while completely ignoring how the same could be said for others. For the Sportz review he's completely lax as he's fine with this concept being done despite there being other sporting episodes done before, including The Fry Cook Games and Krusty Krushers which he oddly left out in favor of one small reference in Don't Look Now of all episodes. So even when not talking about the flaws of the episode itself, the flaws which he judges most of the season by lack any consistency. If I wanted to use this logic, I could also bash this episode for the "memorable stadium setpiece" that he praised as holding the episode together...despite us not really getting a look at it as opposed to Sewers of Bikini Bottom which blatantly focuses on the structure of a football stadium. It feels like there's no good structure to the reviews which make this come across as a sloppy mess.



BrutalWreckage said:
People were just hungry for a new episode to bash on in Season 10, and thus they ganged up on Sportz? ... It's not like Ink Lemonade which actually genuinely deserves the flack IMO.
BrutalWreckage said:
I just think the level of hate you've gotten from liking Sportz? is absurd. One guy on SBC (Known as Honest Slug here on SBM), got so triggered over your opinion that he literally changed his username to "Godly Sportz Originality". I mean come on, seriously? Why does everyone have to agree with each other on the worst SB episodes?
When you do the Season 10 commentary, I hope you go into a bit more detail about Sportz? to hopefully stop the whiners from whining further.
............

Let me make the following clear
  1. If I oh so desperately wanted to bash an episode for the sake of bashing something, then why wait until the middle of season 10? There were other season 10 episodes that are more hated than Sportz, so jumping on that bandwagon would be what would happen if this statement was remotely true and not an overreactionary defensive take. If this were true, then it would also be happening to episodes such as Snooze You Lose and Krusty Katering. Heck, why not even do the same thing for 9B and 11? Don't even dare try to push this narrative further, because there is no merit to it and absolutely no modicum of proof.
  2. I'm not the only one who's explained my hate for Sportz in detail. People have posted their opinions in the episode topic for everyone to see
  3. Slug's name change was an obvious joke because he thinks that Sportz is the very opposite, and also did not think that Pieguy's review succinctly explained an opposing viewpoint. Out of everyone, you're the one who's getting so triggered by automatically lumping in everyone who hates Sportz as eager to bash it just because it's season 10.
  4. Further commentary won't stop me from giving the episode "flack", there are flaws that I find in the episode which Pieguy didn't talk about at all, which exist completely outside of the disagreements on the points that he already made. If he sees something that genuinely can make us think better of the episode, he'd need to find something that nobody else has in the entire year since the episode came out.


Pieguyrulz said:
As for Sportz, no matter how many rants I read, I will never understand that level of hate for the episode.
I've made a few separate rants on the episode, however some were condensed and I don't know if you've seen the complaints on everything that make it horrendous to me and others as I don't know where exactly you have looked before. As someone who has it as their personal worst, if you're still curious and willing I will be glad to go into further details on why I loathe this episode, for reasons stated in your video and ones that I think that you didn't touch upon at all.
 
Eh, I guess I'll start up predictions for Season 11 too.

Cave Dwelling Sponge: Meh
The Clam Whisperer: ScumBob
Spot Returns: Good
The Check-Up: Meh
Spin the Bottle: Meh
There's a Sponge in My Soup: Good
Man Ray Returns: ScumBob
Larry the Floor Manager: Good
The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom: Good
No Pictures, Please: Meh
Stuck on the Roof: ScumBob
Krabby Patty Creature Feature: ScumBob
Teacher's Pests: Good
Sanitation Insanity: Meh
Bunny Hunt: Good
Squid Noir: Good
Scavenger Pants: Meh
Cuddle E. Hugs: ScumBob
Pat the Horse: ScumBob
Chatterbox Gary: Meh
Don't Feed the Clowns: Meh
Drive Happy: Meh
Fun-Sized Friends: ScumBob
Grandmum's the Word: Good
Doodle Dimension: Good
Moving Bubble Bass: Meh
My Leg!: Good
Ink Lemonade: ScumBob
Mustard O' Mine: Meh
Shopping List: Good
Whale Watching: Good
Krusty Kleaners: Good
Patnocchio: ScumBob
ChefBob: Meh

13 Good
12 Meh
9 ScumBob

Top 5 Prediction:
5. Doodle Dimension
4. Squid Noir
3. Teacher's Pests
2. My Leg!
1. The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom

Bottom 5 Prediction:
5. Patnocchio
4. Cuddle E. Hugs
3. Krabby Patty Creature Feature
2. Pat the Horse
1. Ink Lemonade
 
I don't mind people not caring for Sportz (it's far from one of the best of the season, lol) I just feel like it doesn't do enough to warrant full hatred. You can not agree with someone on something without acting like their "blind to obvious flaw" or whatever. I didn't see him doing this when giving Back to the Past a negative review, he just explained why he disliked it. And as for the comedy aspect, humor is subjective, so it's nothing to get worked up over.
 
Perry The Platypus said:
I don't mind people not caring for Sportz (it's far from one of the best of the season, lol) I just feel like it doesn't do enough to warrant full hatred. You can not agree with someone on something without acting like their "blind to obvious flaw" or whatever. I didn't see him doing this when giving Back to the Past a negative review, he just explained why he disliked it. And as for the comedy aspect, humor is subjective, so it's nothing to get worked up over.
Exactly. The episode has nothing really going against it. It's just not that memorable.
 
Perry The Platypus said:
I don't mind people not caring for Sportz (it's far from one of the best of the season, lol) I just feel like it doesn't do enough to warrant full hatred. You can not agree with someone on something without acting like their "blind to obvious flaw" or whatever. I didn't see him doing this when giving Back to the Past a negative review, he just explained why he disliked it. And as for the comedy aspect, humor is subjective, so it's nothing to get worked up over.
It's not merely because they're "blind to a flaw", heck he seems to start to acknowledge some such as saying that it isn't really funny and that the premise is out there for even SpongeBob, only to backtrack and praise the episode even though he's been much harsher on other episodes for reasons that I think could just as easily apply to Sportz as well if going by the same logic. I do think that there are glaring issues which he didn't seem to notice at all, but that is besides the other points. I have no idea why Sportz gets a free pass here, and it's easy to use as an example on some problems of the video in general because I have solidified my opinions on the episode more than anything else on top of it being fitting to talk about when discussing issues with the video.
 
Not at all surprised that some of my opinions are controvertial. Season 10 is still recent, for such a long time we were stuck with season 9. The latest two seasons of SB are always hotly debated in terms of quality, before eventually people reach a general consensus about the qualjty of the season and episodes. This usually happens because people haven't seen the episodes many times and just go with their gut in loving or hating an episode. As for Sportz, no matter how many rants I read, I will never understand that level of hate for the episode.
well, Squidward being out of character is ONE THING for me...
 
Sunshine Banjo Face said:
It's not merely because they're "blind to a flaw", heck he seems to start to acknowledge some such as saying that it isn't really funny and that the premise is out there for even SpongeBob, only to backtrack and praise the episode even though he's been much harsher on other episodes for reasons that I think could just as easily apply to Sportz as well if going by the same logic. I do think that there are glaring issues which he didn't seem to notice at all, but that is besides the other points. I have no idea why Sportz gets a free pass here, and it's easy to use as an example on some problems of the video in general because I have solidified my opinions on the episode more than anything else on top of it being fitting to talk about when discussing issues with the video.
It got a pass from him before he generally enjoyed it's antics. He's forgiven episodes for spotty elements before because he liked the comedy or overall plot. (I'm With Stupid and heck even Out of the Picture from the same season)
 

BrutalWreckage

New Member
Since I've already responded to Sunshine Banjo Face via a status on SBC, all I'm gonna say here is that I do apologize for at least a couple of my remarks here. Me referring to the people who hated Sportz? as purely "ganging up" on it was definitely immature and I probably could've worded it a little better.

I do, still, stand by my opinion though that it is ridiculous to bash Pieguy purely for the fact that you disagree with the fact that he enjoys Sportz? . He enjoys the comedy in the episode, and if he liked the setpiece of the episode, then let him like it. If you personally hated the comedy and didn't care for the set piece, then that's okay, just don't be immature about it. That's all I've been trying to say.
 
Top