03a. Jellyfishing

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Not the biggest fan of this one, it's not bad Squid torture or anything, but I just think it doesn't make for a decent plot. That's just me though.

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Without the jokes, this probably would've been an easy bad, or even terrible. But with those, it escapes that range.

Mediocre Episode (5/10)

Octavionknox888

Moby Dollar
The 1st half is pretty good. I enjoyed the beginning part where spongebob and Patrick get ready to go jellyfishing. The second half is kinda boring, but it's decent. Overall, this one is good. But there are much better jellyfishing episodes out there, like jellyfish Hunter.
70/100 Good

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I'm not really too fond of this one. People say that the Squid torture is justified in this episode, but why? All he did was make a sarcastic comment about wanting to go jellyfishing with Spongebob and Patrick. He barley has any lines in this episode after that point because he's in a full body cast for the entirety of it, which makes it even worse because he can't even say anything that would make him guilty. The Squidward torture in this episode isn't too heinous, (I'll get to those later) and atleast Spongebob and Patrick are well meaning here, but it still isn't any fun to sit through for the most part. This episode is also very slow and not much is accomplished in the end, which makes it feel just kind of pointless. Some good jokes, but overall a pretty bland episode.

Average episode (5/10)

1. Help Wanted (9)
2. Ripped Pants (8)
3. Tea at the Treedome (7)
4. Bubblestand (7)
5. Reef Blower (6)
6. Jellyfishing (5)

Last edited:

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
1.5/10

This is an absolutely TERRIBLE episode. In-fact, I think this is so bad, it hits a spot on my least faves. Undeserving Squidward torture ::dolphin noise::, unfunny gags (other than FIRMLY GRASP IT), and a terrible and weak plot. Do you wanna know why the Squidward torture ::dolphin noise:: is undeserved? It's because HE LITERALLY DID NOTHING OTHER THAN SARCASM. And about the sarcastic comment that Squidward makes, I find it boring as frick. I can literally fall asleep in 2 minutes if there was an extended version of that comment. Overall, very weak, boring, infuriating, unfunny episode.

Ripped Pants: (10/10)
Tea at the TreeDome: (10/10)
Help Wanted: (9.5/10)
Bubblestand: (8.5/10)
Reef Blower: (7.5/10)
Jellyfishing: (1.5/10)

Last edited:

Snails

Floating Shopping List
I originally gave this a 7.5/10. I think that was too high. My new ranking is 5.5/10

Snails

Floating Shopping List
Current Season 1 Ranking.

#6. Tea At The Treedome (D)
#5. Jellyfishing (
C)
#4. Ripped Pants (
C)
#3. Reef Blower (
C)
#2. Bubblestand (
A)
#1. Help Wanted (
A)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Now, I don't want to be TOO harsh on this episode, since it's one of the first to be made, and the show was still trying to find its true footing, but.. this episode is dull. REALLY dull. There is very little that goes on in the story. Squidward gets injured, Spongebob and Patrick try to cheer him up, the plan doesn't work. Now this wouldn't be THAT big of a problem if the jokes were good. I personally didn't find the jokes to be funny. Spongebob licking his lips for about 20 seconds on end ate up the time that the episode could use to show off some actual variation on Spongebob and Patricks' "best day ever".
The only things I liked about the episode were:
  • The animation of Squidward exploding after riding off the cliff
  • Spongebob and Patrick's cover of Blue Danube Waltz
  • "Firmly Grasp It"
That's it.

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I kinda like this one quite a bit. Sure Squidward got tortured but the jokes were neat. But what really struck me the most was the ending. Thats because SpongeBob and Patrick got the karma they deserved.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)

CanuckChum

Baby Clam
There are some funny moments here ("FIRMLY GRASP IT!" is amazing), but I feel like this one leans too hard on the Squidward torture. He didn't do that much to warrant it, and all he did was make a few snarky comments. At least SpongeBob and Patrick's behavior comes from a place of ignorance and not maliciousness.

Episode Rating - 6/10

1. Help Wanted (9/10)
2. Bubblestand (8/10)
3. Ripped Pants (7/10)
4. Tea at the Treedome (7/10)
5. Reef Blower (7/10)
6. Jellyfishing (6/10)

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
this is the first instance of ''squidward torture'' but i still enjoy the episode alot

10/10

i find it weird that patrick was able to notice that squidward doesnt like them

''maybe he doesnt like us''

''he doesnt wanna play with us''

it's quickly brushed off, with spongebob giving a quick remark disproving what patrick is saying

SuperSponge1234

Dead Inspector
this is the first instance of ''squidward torture'' but i still enjoy the episode alot

10/10

i find it weird that patrick was able to notice that squidward doesnt like them

''maybe he doesnt like us''

''he doesnt wanna play with us''

it's quickly brushed off, with spongebob giving a quick remark disproving what patrick is saying
Idk i feel bad for squidy

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got the introduction to one of the most iconic parts of the show, jellyfishing! A few days ago I wrote a comment about how one of my favorite things about SpongeBob is its atmosphere, and I think that this episode is a good example of that. I mean jellyfishing instead of butterfly catching, who comes up with this stuff! It's great.

I feel like this is the first episode where a sizeable number of people actually dislike it, and that's mostly because of what happens to Squidward. Where do I stand on this? Well, I think it's freaking hilarious, if at times running the risk of being dull. I quite like this episode. This episode is also the first instance of one of my favorite SpongeBob gags, which is things randomly exploding. Literally, that will never get old to me. The episode has many iconic moments, from the aforementioned random exploding to "firmly grasp it", meaning that for some this episode is a classic.

This episode is another great example of the Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick dynamic, and the first time we really see them all interacting in non-strictly neighborly capacity (though of course, a significant portion of the episode takes place on Conch Street), and I think it's all really funny. Even though poor Squidward is basically being tortured, there's something heartwarming about Patrick and especially SpongeBob trying to share one of their favorite hobbies with him. And as I've said before, neither Patrick or (more importantly) SpongeBob are being malicious here, which I think makes the "torture" much easier to watch. They're trying to do something nice for the poor squid, but they're just not very good at it. And the torture really isn't all that gratuitous, a complaint of much later episodes (which I will hopefully get to one day).

"Jellyfishing" is not an episode I find myself rewatching too often, but it's not an episode I skip if I do a season 1 rewatch. I'm placing it in the "Great" category because like many of these last couple episodes, it doesn't have the "wow" factor that pushes it up a level. I actually find the strongest part of the episode to be the beginning, and then while it continues to be very funny after Squidward is initially injured, I enjoy it more passively than actively, if that makes any sense. While I'm not a "Squidward torture" hater, having such a long portion of the episode be devoted to it can be a little draining, even if it isn't gratuitous or even hard to watch. Like any joke, there's a danger in it becoming repetitive. The writers mostly avoid this by using different forms of "torture", but it gets dull for me on some rewatches.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.4/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
"Jellyfishing" is not an episode I find myself rewatching too often, but it's not an episode I skip if I do a season 1 rewatch. I'm placing it in the "Great" category because like many of these last couple episodes, it doesn't have the "wow" factor that pushes it up a level. I actually find the strongest part of the episode to be the beginning, and then while it continues to be very funny after Squidward is initially injured, I enjoy it more passively than actively, if that makes any sense. While I'm not a "Squidward torture" hater, having such a long portion of the episode be devoted to it can be a little draining, even if it isn't gratuitous or even hard to watch. Like any joke, there's a danger in it becoming repetitive. The writers mostly avoid this by using different forms of "torture", but it gets dull for me on some rewatches.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.4/10
again i do agree, i would rewatch season 2-3 any day, but i wouldn't go back to rewatch season 1, it's not like it's bad, it's a great season, but it has a weird feeling to it

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
again i do agree, i would rewatch season 2-3 any day, but i wouldn't go back to rewatch season 1, it's not like it's bad, it's a great season, but it has a weird feeling to it
I think season 1 just has a different vibe compared to the rest of SpongeBob. The show was just getting its footing, and so its humor is slightly different, and it's a lot...calmer than future seasons. I mean, compare "Pizza Delivery" to "Chocolate With Nuts" (they're both relatively similar, kinda). "Pizza Delivery" has more moments of calm and quiet, while "Chocolate With Nuts" is a barrage of jokes one after the other. So I think that's a big part of it.

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
I can see why season 1 is good but it’s pretty slow and has a dull feeling to it and the cel animation is also a little bland

SuperSponge1234

Dead Inspector
I can see why season 1 is good but it’s pretty slow and has a dull feeling to it and the cel animation is also a little bland
Yeah also its so organic and idk spongebob feels the most mature and Feel less of a mean guy He is kind of mean or a jerk in season 3 but that gives more layers to him just being happy

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
The first "Squidward torture" episode. Also the introduction of another one of SpongeBob's important hobbies, jellyfishing. Overall it has been well liked, but in more recent years it has gotten some hate. I understand some, because Squidward doesn't do a whole lot to deserve the torture though in this episode. For the first episode of this kind, I think it does pretty well. The episode isn't too harsh on Squidward unlike certain later episodes. I think there's good gags and is overall pretty funny. Not all Squidward torture episodes are bad, and this formula can work. It is an important part of the series after all. Overall, not the best episode imo, but pretty funny.

Back