Do you think the movie caused a division between fans?

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
I really think that it did, even though it was an extremely awesome film!! =] Imagine if there were no

SpongeBob movie ever created yet, and the show

still managed to last for at least 10 years, with Paul Tibbit and other executives producing. Would

there be such a divide as the old/pre movie and new/post movie fans? Will there be people who hate

or love the show for what it becomes?

*EDIT* I however have always LOVED this show. I enjoy all the seasons. I'm just curious to what u guys

think. :rofl2:

ALSO: If the show continues after the 2nd movie, will there be another divide, like Post post movie

fans? :|

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Well the movie itself didn't cause any division between fans... it's just used as the dividing point... which I think is what you're getting at anyways.

I really feel like anyone who complains about new episodes just stopped watching the show because they grew out of it. Really seems like people are trying to come up with some excuse for why they stopped watching the show... so this hate for post-movie episodes bandwagon formed.
I remember I was still actively watching SpongeBob on TV when season 4 and season 5 were on, and I never separated the post movie episodes. I think that just sort of came later when kids got older and quit watching the show. Everyone just started blaming Paul Tibbitt for "ruining" the show.
I feel like if the exact same staff as season 1-3 was working on the show today making these exact same episodes, people wouldn't complain.
It's all in everyone's heads.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I think the divide would have been less clear. Right now it's easy to classify as "pre-movie/post-movie" but if the movie hadn't happened I think people would see it as a gradual drop-off rather than "everything after the movie is horrible". If the series had continued without the movie, that is.

I also agree with and identify with what Abney said. When I began to really get into the show (seasons 1-5 were the ones in circulation at that point) I had no idea that there was a divide. I just liked watching the episodes.

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
DadMom AngryPants said:
I think the divide would have been less clear. Right now it's easy to classify as "pre-movie/post-movie" but if the movie hadn't happened I think people would see it as a gradual drop-off rather than "everything after the movie is horrible". If the series had continued without the movie, that is.

I also agree with and identify with what Abney said. When I began to really get into the show (seasons 1-5 were the ones in circulation at that point) I had no idea that there was a divide. I just liked watching the episodes.
I agree. I think many people thought that way about Ed Edd n Eddy though (I still love that show). The TV movie however was the series finale.

abney317 said:
Well the movie itself didn't cause any division between fans... it's just used as the dividing point... which I think is what you're getting at anyways.

I really feel like anyone who complains about new episodes just stopped watching the show because they grew out of it. Really seems like people are trying to come up with some excuse for why they stopped watching the show... so this hate for post-movie episodes bandwagon formed.
I remember I was still actively watching SpongeBob on TV when season 4 and season 5 were on, and I never separated the post movie episodes. I think that just sort of came later when kids got older and quit watching the show. Everyone just started blaming Paul Tibbitt for "ruining" the show.
I feel like if the exact same staff as season 1-3 was working on the show today making these exact same episodes, people wouldn't complain.
i agree. i don't compare episodes either. =] :rofl2:

tvlover

Moby Dollar
Here, There, Somewhere, Anywhere, Who Cares?
I agree with everyone so far - the movie itself did not cause a divide, but rather serves as a convenient buffer zone between the eras. Personally, I have always enjoyed Seasons 1-3, and they will continue to be my favorites. I kept watching into Season 5 or 6, at which point I began to only watch periodically, then sporadically; however, even though I do feel the quality lowered, my changes in viewing habits were because I began watching other shows yet less TV in general rather than as a result of the quality decline.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
I have to say I disagree with some of the above points - I was 8 when the movie came out and 9 when season 4 started, only really stopped watching the kids networks at 13/14. So I don't think growing out of it had anything to do with it.

I put it down to a new team of animator and writers and so on. The overall feel of the show just changed. I was actually even disappointed with the first eps of season 4, although that may be because I hyped them up so much in my head.

Obviously nobody else noticed because the show is still running today xD

tvlover

Moby Dollar
Here, There, Somewhere, Anywhere, Who Cares?
I noticed the difference in the first episodes of Season 4, but I can't really remember if I was disappointed with them or not. With summer beginning after this week (for me, at least - I can't believe how many people get out in late June!), I actually hope to see some of the newer episodes of SpongeBob and catch up on all of my other series I've neglected because of loads of schoolwork.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
The only difference in the first few episodes of Season 4 is that the pacing is faster and the animation is better. The first few episodes are written by pre-movie writers. :P

Like what's been said earlier, the movie itself didn't cause a divide- it's just what people use as the "point where the series went downhill". While internally (crew wise) the movie is why the original crew left (the movie was supposed to be a finale to the show- the show was essentially cancelled and revived after Season 3, and that's why the crew that didn't work on it left), it's not what divided the fans. DMAP is right- Without a movie to seperate things, the drop-off point would have been less clear, since Season 4 really isn't TOO big of a drop off. People would just eventually find a gradual decline.

As for the second movie bit....You never know. Season 9 is already kinda like what a Post-Post Movie era would be like. Half of the artists have left the show. Key people like Aaron Springer, Dani Michaeli, Sean Charmatz, and Tuck Tucker have left for other projects. Season 9 is basically a skeleton crew season. And yet, it's good. I think that perhaps more of the newer crew would stay on this time around (this crew has a lot less success with making shows, as compared to the success the pre movie crew had), and that could be good.

but I really hope we come up with a better name than "Post-Post Movie", that's a mouthfull. :P

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
Jibbix said:
The only difference in the first few episodes of Season 4 is that the pacing is faster and the animation is better. The first few episodes are written by pre-movie writers. :p

Like what's been said earlier, the movie itself didn't cause a divide- it's just what people use as the "point where the series went downhill". While internally (crew wise) the movie is why the original crew left (the movie was supposed to be a finale to the show- the show was essentially cancelled and revived after Season 3, and that's why the crew that didn't work on it left), it's not what divided the fans. DMAP is right- Without a movie to seperate things, the drop-off point would have been less clear, since Season 4 really isn't TOO big of a drop off. People would just eventually find a gradual decline.

As for the second movie bit....You never know. Season 9 is already kinda like what a Post-Post Movie era would be like. Half of the artists have left the show. Key people like Aaron Springer, Dani Michaeli, Sean Charmatz, and Tuck Tucker have left for other projects. Season 9 is basically a skeleton crew season. And yet, it's good. I think that perhaps more of the newer crew would stay on this time around (this crew has a lot less success with making shows, as compared to the success the pre movie crew had), and that could be good.

but I really hope we come up with a better name than "Post-Post Movie", that's a mouthfull. :p
I guess so...maybe a better name for the episodes after the 2nd movie would be adv. post movie? :rofl2:

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
abney317 said:

DadMom AngryPants said:

Jibbix said:
The only difference in the first few episodes of Season 4 is that the pacing is faster and the animation is better. The first few episodes are written by pre-movie writers. :p

but I really hope we come up with a better name than "Post-Post Movie", that's a mouthfull. :p
Couldn't said it better myself.

Back