58a. Missing Identity

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Not too big of a fan of this episode. It's very repetitious with Spongebob retracing his steps and some of the jokes are repetitious. Not the most funniest but at least has jokes that work. 6.5/10

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
I like Gary's feeding time. I also like the parts where Squidward mutters about him being a genius and Patrick saying his 'hellos' aren't a tape recording.

CJO5050

Floating Shopping List
Factoid: Zeus Cervas was credited as one of the four storyboard artists on this episode. The others were Carson Kugler, Caleb Meurer and William Reiss.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 3

Episode: Missing Identity

This episode was very good. The plot was original. Some scenes were repetitive, but still funny in my honest opinion. There were many funny jokes. 8.5/10

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
Very funny episode. This is a perfect example of something SpongeBob does best: a very simple plot, taken to ridiculous levels, and making it absolutely hilarious.

HI-LITES:
SpongeBob tasting Gary's food.
"I feel a disturbance."
Patrick saying "SpongeBoob" instead of "SpongeBob", and his reaction towards that
"Well, you managed to kill 11 minutes."

Bobby792003

Imitation Krab
Even without the Gary's feeding time part, this episode would've still been amazing.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I hate it when the animators don't have consistency within episodes. Stuff such as the rug gag in Party Pooper Pants and the
name tag behind SpongeBob
bother me since you don't see them throughout the episode. I think it would've been clever to just show the front side of SpongeBob until the reveal, nitpick aside this is a great episode with a really fun plot that had me laughing throughout. A fine example of what late season 3 can accomplish. My favorite parts include Patrick trying to say hello and SpongeBob thinking someone could rob a bank with his name tag. Those are great season 3 type jokes.

9/10

This episode had been pretty funny, but the ending where SpongeBob finally finds his name tag just feels lazy and pretty anti-climatic. It is mediocre as the ending really brought this down, what I found clever though was the writing throughout the most of the episode. 6.5/10

CheesePudding

Part Computer or Something
This one is great. I love the Atmosphere of it, especially at the beginning with the music. This has plenty of great jokes, mainly with when SpongeBob continues doing what he did in the Morning, just to find his Name Tag, and when SpongeBob and Patrick go in the Dumpster. There is also tons of funny quotes thrown in there. Example: Patrick: Here, let me get that. Hey, look! A Stingray 5000 single. Hey, these guys rock. Why would anybody throw this away? Spongebob: Have you forgotten what we're looking for knee-deep in yesterday's Top 40 songs? Patrick: Yes. Also, :sbdisappointed: . 9.5/10.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
This episode has a different tone to it that I really appreciate. I like how it starts, ends, and interrupts at this diner. It makes it really stand out, and when someone says "Missing Identity" I think of that scene. Besides that, it's a pretty fun episode. I like the twist ending, because it makes sense, SpongeBob had a crazy reunite, so it's only natural for him to have his pants on wrong. It's not like him to forget it, so it totally works in my mind. Besides that, some really funny one liners with Patrick, and some great lead up, one of the last few classics of Pre-Movie.

It's funny, has a decent plot, and good action. But the ending isn't anything too special, plus this episode bored me a little at times.

Ranking so far:
1. Chocolate With Nuts (A+)
2. Snowball Effect (A+)
3. Wet Painters (A+)
4. Krusty Krab Training Video (A+)
5. Can You Spare A Dime? (A+)
6. The Camping Episode (A+)
7. Idiot Box (A+)
8. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (A)
9. Just One Bite (A)
10. No Weenies Allowed (A)
11. Nasty Patty (A)
12. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV (A)
13. I Had An Accident (A)
14. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (B)
15. The Bully (B)
16. Doing Time (B)
17. Ugh (B)
18. Squilliam Returns (B)
19. The Algae's Always Greener (B)
20. Born Again Krabs (B)
21. Krab Borg (B)
22. Missing Identity (B)
23. One Krab's Trash (B)
24. Clams (B)
25. My Pretty Seahorse (C)
26. Club SpongeBob (C)
27. SpongeGuard on Duty (C)
28. New Student Starfish (C)
29. As Seen On TV (D)
30. The Great Snail Race (D)
31. Party Pooper Pants (D)
32. Krabby Land (D)
33. Mid-Life Crustacean (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
A good one, but it's kinda boring. The only part that really stuck out to me was the montage of Spongebob getting ready, which was pretty funny. There was some other jokes and clever writing I liked, but as I said they don't stick out too much. The resolution was also kinda stupid and didn't really feel satisfying to me. I can't really complain too much though, because the rest of this episode is relatively solid and is also pretty funny, despite it being dull at times.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Chocolate With Nuts (10)
2. Krusty Krab Training Video (10)
3. Idiot Box (10)
4. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V (10)
5. Wet Painters (9)
6. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
7. The Camping Episode (9)
8. Snowball Effect (9)
9. Can You Spare A Dime? (9)
10. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (9)
11. Just One Bite (9)
12. Krab Borg (9)
13. As Seen On Tv (8)
14. One Krabs Trash (8)
15. I Had An Accident (8)
16. Nasty Patty (8)
17. Mid-Life Crustacean (8)
18. New Student Starfish (8)
19. No Weenies Allowed (8)
20. My Pretty Seahorse (7)
21. Squilliam Returns (7)
22. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV (7)
23. Missing Identity (7)
24. The Great Snail Race (7)
25. Clams (7)
26. The Bully (7)
27. Doing Time (7)
28. Ugh (6)
29. Spongeguard on Duty (6)
30. Club Spongebob (6)
31. Born Again Krabs (5)
32. Party Pooper Pants (4)
33. Krabby Land (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This ones bad in my opinion. Sure the plots nice but its ragingly boring and i mean REALLY REALLY RAGINGLY BORING! Its not terrible but it is definitely poor.

Rating: Bad episode

Rankings:
No Weenies Allowed (Golden)
Idiot Box (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (Perfect)
Krab Borg (Amazing!)
The Camping Episode (Amazing!)
Wet Painters (Amazing!)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
Squlliam Returns (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
Krusty Krab Training Video (Astonishing)
The Great Snail Race (Great)
Ugh (Great)
Doing Time (Great)
Snowball Effect (Great)
Mid-Life Crustacean (Great)
One Krabs Trash (Good)
Can you Spare a Dime? (Good)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Rock-a-Bye Bivalve (Okay)
Born Again Krabs (Meh)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
New Student Starfish (Meh)
MMABBIV (Meh)
Missing Identity (Bad)
Clams (Bad)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)
As Seen on TV (Bad)
Party Pooper Pants (Sucky)
Krabby Land (Sucky)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got one of the many second-half of season 3 episodes that have gone under the radar, "Missing Identity"! I love the atmosphere of this episode, you already know. It's got a noir-esque feel to it, especially with the music, the rain, and the diner. And I love that this whole episode is SpongeBob telling a story to the diner worker and patron, it's just a neat set up. I just love how dramatic SpongeBob is in this first part of the episode, butting into their conversation for no reason (after making a meme of himself).

The flashback that takes place for most of the episode starts off pretty hilariously, with SpongeBob having a very hectic morning. The little dance he does when he feeds Gary is also super cute, and honestly his curiosity about Snail-Po is lowkey relatable. I would never eat pet food, let me make that clear, but I do wonder what it tastes like. SpongeBob's reaction to the snail food is hilarious, and I love the whole "there's been a disturbance" thing lol. I love the cut back to the present where we see that the people listening in are actually engaged in SpongeBob's story in some capacity, and I also like that the cut implies that SpongeBob was acting out his story lol.

Back to the flashback, I love the moment when SpongeBob figures out that his nametag, or in perfectly dramatic fashion, his identity, is gone. The hyperventilating is absolutely hilarious, and I love that he just breaks out the French to express his distress. You know, what does he do in the French dub? Anyway, I love the whole scene SpongeBob imagines with the robber, his catastrophizing is just too funny, especially when he passes out and then starts to hyperventilate again. I'm shocked that Squidward actually helps SpongeBob so quickly in this episode, but of course we do get a funny joke involving his ego and SpongeBob disappearing much like Mr. Krabs in "Krabby Land", so it all evens out.

"Missing Identity" gets one more pretty funny gag in, with Patrick starting to hyperventilate like SpongeBob (and I also like that he feels some type of way about his greetings lol), before the episode starts to slip down my sliding scale of enjoyment. The whole montage of SpongeBob retracing his steps, each with Patrick messing it up at the very end, is enjoyable enough, though it starts to get a little bit repetitive by the end. Thankfully, each reiteration of the morning takes less and less time which helps this problem immensely. Doesn't quite stop me from feeling frustrated like SpongeBob though.

Things don't get all that much better when we move to the dumpster scene. I do enjoy SpongeBob's endless kindness though, considering he doesn't seem to recognize that the people who threw him in the dumpster were huge jerks. But anyway, this dumpster scene is not that great because Patrick is once again very frustrating, first forgetting the purpose of why they were looking in the dumpster in the first place, and then by being unable to articulate that SpongeBob's name tag is on his back because he put his shirt on backwards. It's just annoying and this type of comedy rarely ever works for me (just think of what I had to say for "Wet Painters" if you need another example).

The ending of the flashback is kind of a non-ending, but I think it may be better this way because I have a feeling that if the flashback were to go on longer, we would've gotten one of those very upsetting endings à la "The Bully", so I'll take this very abrupt ending with Mr. Krabs placing SpongeBob outside, and the flashback ending.

The ending to the actual episode is much better though, and a return to form for "Missing Identity" after a few minutes of not-great material. Firstly, I like the 4th-wall-breaking with the waitress saying SpongeBob managed to "kill 11 minutes". Honestly, this episode is full of jokes like that, such as when Patrick apologizes to the audience, or both times SpongeBob looks at the camera. Speaking of SpongeBob looking at the camera, I really like the ending of this episode. SpongeBob uses the waitress's nametag to call her by name, but it turns out she's just borrowing someone else's uniform. Given how this entire episode was about SpongeBob putting stock into thinking his nametag is his identity, is it any wonder that he just looks into the camera, at a loss for words? Not to mention as a callback to the first time he did this with Patrick. The steel sting at the end really makes it too, you know I love the music and sound design in this show.

"Missing Identity" is a pretty good episode. At least, it's ending and beginning are excellent. However, the episode really gets boring and repetitive in the middle, and it doesn't feel very satisfying either. So that leaves this episode fitting snugly in my "Good" tier. Almost a step above, but that middle part...it just isn't working for me.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.8/10

Back