211a. Plankton Retires

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Amphitrite said:
I thought this episode was pretty good and felt way better than New Leaf. The fail montage at the beginning went on for a while and wasn't exactly needed since we've already seen Plankton fail many times before, but it was still entertaining, so I'll give it that. I also thought Dullville was an interesting new location and I liked the little callback to Krusty Katering. I also loved how the twist ending was pulled off rather than the typical use of "status quo". And the very ending with robot decoys was hilarious and unexpected and didn't feel rushed. I'll give this a 7.5/10. Not bad for the second Plankton-themed episode of the season.
Alright, looking back at this episode, my thoughts have changed, but not in a very good way. I now find this episode rather mediocre, dull, and kind of pointless. It had funny moments, but at the end of the day it's basically just a dragged on remake of New Leaf. My rating is now 5/10. Snooze You Lose is no longer my least favorite season 10 episode.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
Brilliant ending. I love episodes that end differently to others. The twist that Plankton had a robot decoy going to the retirement home was completely unexpected to me. And the Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob decoys were funny as well and it was original that they actually got on with each other. SpongeBob, I relate to you so much for the ceiling fan thing, God!

Klu

Moby Dollar
You know, I'm kinda warmed up to this episode. While it's not a masterpiece, I think it's quite good.
I actually never liked New Leaf, because episode was pointless. It wasn't funny and because the movie is finale, we all know that Plankton isn't going to reform. So, while this episode uses very similar concept it's not that similar and actually funny with very good ending.
Also, montage of Plankton's schemes in the beginning while not necessary, quite entertaining. It's reminded me of several early episodes, Karate Choppers in particular, where actual plot and conflict didn't start until the middle of the episode, but contained enough entertaining scenes in the beginning, without making feel like it's some kind of padding.
All in all, 7/10.

A good episode. Nothing too special here, but it does its job and it does it well. It may be lacking on the joke department, but it has a good story so I can forgive it. I also like the twist ending.

Ranking so far:
1. Unreal Estate (A+)
2. Plankton Gets the Boot (A+)
3. Mimic Madness (A)
4. Burst Your Bubble (A)
5. Mermaid Pants (A)
6. SpongeBob's Place (A)
7. Plankton Retires (B)
8. Life Insurance (B)
9. Code Yellow (B)
10. Whirlybrains (C)
11. House Worming (C)
12. Krusty Katering (C)
13. Snooze You Lose (D)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like this one a lot idk why though

Rating: Perfect (again idk why)

Rankings:
Burst your Bubble (Golden)
Code Yellow (Perfect)
Plankton Retires (Perfect)
Mermaid Pants (Amazing!)
Mimic Madness (Superb)
Whirly Brains (Good)
Plankton Gets the Boot (High Okay)
SpongeBob's Place (Flat)
Krusty Katering (Dull)
House Worming (Meh)
Life Insurance (Sucky)
Unreal Estate (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Everyone clap, because for once I’m not mixing up an episode with one that is seemingly very similar to it! Yeah, that’s right, despite all the similarities between “Plankton Retires” and “New Leaf”, my memories for each of these episodes is quite distinct. Considering how often I get episodes mixed up, this is an achievement.

I think it’s funny that for once, Plankton’s schemes of trying to get the Krabby Patty secret formula are considered newsworthy. But almost like he’s just another one of the funky things that happens in Bikini Bottom. Well, I guess he is one of the funky things that happens in that town. Anyway, this segment is pretty entertaining, and then it moves over into funny once Plankton realizes he’s being broadcast. What’s funny is that watching this scene as it was felt weird to me, as I’m so used to hearing the sparta remix version of it lol. Moving on, the fact that Plankton’s scheme seemingly relies on him acting like a cowboy is funny to me. It gives Mr. Lawrence another chance to show off that hilarious Plankton with a Southern accent.

As the episode goes on, we see more of Plankton’s plans being foiled in funny ways. I just like Mr. Krabs being one step ahead of him, because it’s usually funny, and it means that he never loses. The episode also takes care to show why Mr. Krabs is always a step ahead of Plankton, and that’s because Plankton is an idiot LMAO. It’s the Tom & Jerry of it all. Or Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote lol.

Finally, Plankton decides it’s time to throw in the towel. But Mr. Krabs won’t let him go so easily, so he hitches a ride on the bus along with SpongeBob. SpongeBob is cute in this episode, and plays a good minor supporting role. That is all. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs follow Plankton around in a sequence that reminds me fondly of “Spy Buddies”. And then when Plankton reaches the retirement home, I love his little retirement outfit, it’s hilarious. Plankton approaching retirement like a scheme is also really funny.

Upon rewatching this episode, the Plankton twist is rather obvious for one reason and one reason alone: where tf is Karen? Plankton didn’t bring Karen with him on his retirement excursion? Really? Now, I’d believe it if this was season 8 (cough cough “Frozen Face Off” cough), but it’s not so…yeah. But less obvious (well, not really considering this was the pattern of the episode) was the twist with Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob. But I love all of these twists, they make the plot interesting, and they’re just funny. Not to mention, I love all the robot designs. Again, SpongeBob’s is so adorable. And then the ending of the episode with the robots hanging out is quite wholesome (until they all blew up LMAO). I also like the ending with the real versions of everybody getting into a brawl. Poor Squidward, couldn’t even sleep on the job in peace.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.3/10

Back