205b. MermaidPants

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I thought this was fantastic! I loved the announcer and the general vibe of this episode, the story was really great and they took great advantage of it. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs fighting with the announcer going "Mediocre" and "Sub-par" was hilarious. My only problem was I think they could've punished SpongeBob and Patrick a little bit. I get they had to get the Krusty Krab empty somehow and even then it's a minor nit pick but they way they got away with everything kinda rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Still an awesome episode though, I loved it! Yeah sure it was flawed in the beginning but the rest of this episode more than makes it one of my favorite newer episodes.

9/10

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This is a very interesting one. It's really good that i'm hearing the narrator again in the episode. This isn't the first time seeing Spongebob and Patrick roleplay Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, but I still think this episode is a good one. I has funny jokes and a very interesting plot. It definitly got more interesting once Mr. Krabs started to appear in this episode. Overall I think it's really enjoyable.This one gets a 9/10.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
I really like the idea of this episode and they managed to execute it very well. The good thing about this episode is that they made it quite funny, I especially liked the announcer saying things like "Pathetic" or "Mediocre" because it ties in with the idea of mocking superheroes but they didn't make it insulting they made it funny and to me that checks all the boxes. However I have to dock this episode points because they were a bit harsh towards Squidward in the beginning but it was only a short part and didn't contribute to the episode that much, I also wish they used more zany animation like Whirly Brains did but oh well apart from those two nitpicks it was a solid episode.

8/10

kev

innit
What an episode. The pacing felt odd and unbalanced I'll admit. I wasn't really invested or interested in the story during the opening sequence of the episode (sorry Mr. Waller - i see you reading this lol don't hate me), but the episode really picks up by the revelation of Mr. Krabs as a comic book fan. The ridiculous evil plan/final act makes up so much for the lackluster first half, even if I saw that ending coming. All of the evil props SpongeBob n Patrick had placed made me realize how stupid and engrossing this whole roleplaying game had become. And so I wore a stupid grin while everything unfolded.

edit: word

Vincent Waller

Floating Shopping List
What an episode. The pacing felt odd and unbalanced I'll admit. I wasn't really invested or interested in the story during the opening sequence of the episode (sorry Mr. Waller - i see you reading this lol don't hate see), but the episode really picks up by the revelation of Mr. Krabs as a comic book fan. The ridiculous evil plan/final act makes up so much for the lackluster first half, even if I saw that ending coming. All of the evil props SpongeBob n Patrick had placed made me realize how stupid and engrossing this whole roleplaying game had become. And so I wore a stupid grin while everything unfolded.

You never need to worry about having an opinion. The only thing I'm a hater of is rudenesss.
We will be laying down many varying flavors as we work through the new seasons.
Hopefully a lil'something here and there for everyone.
The only returning critique I would give to those watching,(this is not directed toward you, but in response to many of the notes about characters actions, being disappointing to some audience members) is to remember, a story without conflict, isn't much of a story. Again IMO.
Thanks everyone for watching. I enjoy reading your thoughts, even the ones I don't particularly agree with.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 10

Episode: MermaidPants

This episode was very good. I don't get it why people are complaining about the first half of the episode. Yes, SpongeBob and Patrick were bothering Squidward but they were just playful (remember how playful they were towards Squidward in the first Mermaidman & Barnacle Boy episode). The action packed scenes were fun and there were some funny jokes. 8.5/10

spongebobforever12

Imitation Krab
Vincent Waller said:
You never need to worry about having an opinion. The only thing I'm a hater of is rudenesss.
We will be laying down many varying flavors as we work through the new seasons.
Hopefully a lil'something here and there for everyone.
The only returning critique I would give to those watching,(this is not directed toward you, but in response to many of the notes about characters actions, being disappointing to some audience members) is to remember, a story without conflict, isn't much of a story. Again IMO.
Thanks everyone for watching. I enjoy reading your thoughts, even the ones I don't particularly agree with.
I love your work so I don't want to disagree but when you say a story needs conflict does that mean it needs to a good character and a bad character generally. So for me in this episode was spongebob and patrick mean't to be the bad characters or is mr krabs and squidward? Because to me spongebob and patrick : destroyed the krusty krab, got them beat up, used mr krabs money, and fried them. I'm just wondering when you worked on this episode did you intend for them to be the enemies or did you see it as kids taking it too far?

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
I love your work so I don't want to disagree but when you say a story needs conflict does that mean it needs to a good character and a bad character generally. So for me in this episode was spongebob and patrick mean't to be the bad characters or is mr krabs and squidward? Because to me spongebob and patrick : destroyed the krusty krab, got them beat up, used mr krabs money, and fried them. I'm just wondering when you worked on this episode did you intend for them to be the enemies or did you see it as kids taking it too far?
That was kinda the whole point of the episode, the sweet irony...

TheArabicArowana

First of all, I really love the re-designs of their Mermaid Man And Barnacle Boy costumes. Just awesome. Seeing them play around at the beginning made me really excited to see what was next..but then gross-out. Not to sound judgmental, but what is it with the writers and feet on this show? BLEGH. I know it doesn't last long but why does it feel like post-movie episodes (even the good ones) can't go on without some of of detailed injury or gross closeup?

Squidward being the villian is also a really cool idea. And him actually turning evil and crazy at the end was a good climax, I wish they took more time on this part though. It really feels like nothing happens until the end. In the beginning, they could have just made Squidward the villian and SB and Patrick trying to defeat him, and then maybe Krabs would come in RIGHT after. You don't really need to spend all this time at the Krusty Krab establishing that Squidward is obviously annoyed at their game, and that Mr. Krabs is...a MM & BB fan? Don't get me wrong it was fun seeing him get into the game, but I think it would have been funnier if he actually thought that they were the real heros or took it more seriously. Or if they were gonna have them play-fight why not just make that the climax instead of them going from here to there and stopping and talking and trying to establish different things. Again, I like the idea of Spongebob having this moral code of not wanting to fight them until they actually do something wrong, but it just slows the episode down IMO.

Aside from all of this, the episode does have a charm to it and it was nice seeing just how into Mermaid Man and Barnacle boy they are, but I think they didn't take advantage of it. It's an awesome premise with some great ideas that reeaaaaally could have used one more re-write.

I know it sounds like I'm being too hard, but gosh...when I read the premise I really thought this was going to be 10/10..like to the point of rivaling some pre-movie episodes. Oh well.

6/10

Edit: Something I forgot to mention...(especially after re-watching it.) The animation is fantastic. The expressions, movements and fluidity make me have just a bit more than a soft-spot for this episode.

nortonstime

Floating Shopping List
So a bunch of people are dissing this episode and not giving any coherent reasons as to why. But I thought it was amazing, and a sure sign of more good things to come in Season 10.

+ I didn't think Spongebob and Patrick annoying Squidward was going overboard. His poor vegetable garden, though -- for that alone I think Spongebob and Patrick deserved some comeuppance. I don't know why they didn't get punished for their actions at all.
+ The moment they showed Squidward's nails I was terrified he was going to lose them again.
+ Spongebob landing in Patrick's navel was too Ren and Stimpy-esque for me. But other than that I thought the episode was a nice blend of classic and silly, whereas Whirlybrains seemed like a test run for making the characters as cartoony as possible, which was off-putting at times.
+ Squidward breaking each of his legs has got to be one of my favorite gags in the show.
+ The part with Sponge and Patrick singing the theme song got a lot of laughs out of me. Their dancing was priceless
+ The peroxide joke is how you do gross-out humor right: subtle and quick.
+ Mr. Krabs being a secret comic book nerd is great. I don't normally say this but he injected a lot of energy into the episode.
+ Not even gonna ask why Mr. Krabs randomly sews outfits for Squidward.
+ That fight scene was fantastic even with the squidbob vibes.
+ I don't get, though, how on earth Spongebob was able to convince Squidward and Mr. Krabs to play along and even rob a bank.
+ Squidward going straight up evil was awesome and imo, the episode would've been better if he had done it earlier and the crew really had to stop him.
+ "No, Mr. Bob, I expect you to FRY!" is now one of my favorite lines.
+ Patrick chomping off Squidward's hand is also how you do gross-out humor properly, and Squidward's deadpan look is what sells the joke.
+ Are characters not allowed to be naked anymore? I have a feeling there was more Nickelodeon censorship at play.

Overall, a really funny and enjoyable episode. No character felt wasted or unnecessary. I loved it.

Supmandude

Squog
Just like Whirly Brains, this episode is pure PERFECTION!!!!!!! Not quite as good as Whirly Brains, but still really good and hilarious!!! Mr. Krabs being into comics was unexpected and awesome!!!

TheArabicArowana

nortonstime said:
"No, Mr. Bob, I expect you to FRY!" is now one of my favorite lines.
Haha same! Squidward as a legit evil villian is awesome. I wish it lasted longer. =/

nortonstime said:
+ Are characters not allowed to be naked anymore? I have a feeling there was more Nickelodeon censorship at play.
wat, seeing them nude is gross.

nortonstime said:
So a bunch of people are dissing this episode and not giving any coherent reasons as to why. But I thought it was amazing, and a sure sign of more good things to come in Season 10.

+ I didn't think Spongebob and Patrick annoying Squidward was going overboard. His poor vegetable garden, though -- for that alone I think Spongebob and Patrick deserved some comeuppance. I don't know why they didn't get punished for their actions at all.
+ The moment they showed Squidward's nails I was terrified he was going to lose them again.
+ Spongebob landing in Patrick's navel was too Ren and Stimpy-esque for me. But other than that I thought the episode was a nice blend of classic and silly, whereas Whirlybrains seemed like a test run for making the characters as cartoony as possible, which was off-putting at times.
+ Squidward breaking each of his legs has got to be one of my favorite gags in the show.
+ The part with Sponge and Patrick singing the theme song got a lot of laughs out of me. Their dancing was priceless
+ The peroxide joke is how you do gross-out humor right: subtle and quick.
+ Mr. Krabs being a secret comic book nerd is great. I don't normally say this but he injected a lot of energy into the episode.
+ Not even gonna ask why Mr. Krabs randomly sews outfits for Squidward.
+ That fight scene was fantastic even with the squidbob vibes.
+ I don't get, though, how on earth Spongebob was able to convince Squidward and Mr. Krabs to play along and even rob a bank.
+ Squidward going straight up evil was awesome and imo, the episode would've been better if he had done it earlier and the crew really had to stop him.
+ "No, Mr. Bob, I expect you to FRY!" is now one of my favorite lines.
+ Patrick chomping off Squidward's hand is also how you do gross-out humor properly, and Squidward's deadpan look is what sells the joke.

Overall, a really funny and enjoyable episode. No character felt wasted or unnecessary. I loved it.
Squidward was naked in Whirlybrains.

Back