199b. Lame and Fortune

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
Really good episode the plot was pretty good with some funny moments like the face expression and Mr Krabs catching SpongeBob with a fishing rod but the best part was the funeral scene it was hilarious

Grade: 8.5/10

Best Character: :sbx: :krabsx:

Best Line: My Legs

Best Moment: The Funeral scene

And we get another My Leg joke :D

testmacoroni

Baby Clam
I thought this episode was pretty good except the beginning and endings seemed to rip off "Wishing You Well". For example, SpongeBob was trying to convince Mr. Krabs that the cookies were magical, just like how he tried to convince Mr. Krabs that the well was really magic. Also the endings in each episode had a live action part.
I made a blog review on this episode in detail if anyone is interested. :sbthumbs:

Kelvorado

Imitation Krab
Pretty good episode but felt a little rushed towards the end. It did remind me of "Wishing You Well" too, especially the ending where a character is eaten in a live action sequence, it's a bit surreal to be honest. The funeral scene was also a little shocking though funny for the way Pearl mourns over him and then just takes his wallet (and the cameos like Grandpa Redbeard and one of Krabs' mystery solving nephews from "Stanley S. Squarepants"). Overall decent episode.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 9

Episode: Lame and Fortune

This episode was pretty good. The plot was nice. It was kinda predictable, but that doesn't make it bad. There were some funny jokes. 7.5/10

LeElephantMonster

Moby Dollar
I liked this episode, besides the rushed ending and the fact that Mr. Krabs had to be the one to take Squidward's prize money. Otherwise I really enjoyed this episode. 8/10

Pikablu183

Imitation Krab
I thought the concept was really creative. It had some good jokes but others fell flat. And I just kinda felt sad for Squidward.
The magic fortune cookies kind reminded me of the pencil from Frankendoodle. Average objects above the water that suddenly turn magical in Bikini Bottom. I wonder if all above-water objects could work like that.
Also, I loved the My Leg joke.
A few weak points, but overall a decent episode.

toasterstrutel

Krabby Patty Burglar
This episode has a bid for a top 50 of all time. I was very impressed with this one, needless to say.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
While this one wasn't my favorite of the week, something about it gave it that pre-movie charm. I'm not even sure what it was, it just felt more like Spongebob than the rest of the season has. The dialogue felt very natural, everybody was in character, this was a solid episode.

Hazmart

Moby Dollar
Pros: The story is interesting, and once again this season manages to be harnessed and developed to the fullest, which I love, and fortunately the rhythm is stabilized and pleasant. The animation again returned with his beautiful and graceful fluency expressions. Visual gags and jokes are no more; He turned gag "My leg" and the fact that the live-action sequences are used more often in the series is appreciated. Again we are shown an intelligent plan by Plankton, which has always been since this season and his performance in this episode reminded me why it's my favorite character of the series. Another thing I liked was the fact that they knew the comedy mix well with the drama when Mr. Krabs thinks he will die, besides this shows us the change he had; valuing his life more than the money he make with the secret formula. Not to mention the fact that small cameos of characters not seen for several seasons as the grandfather of Mr. Krabs and one of his nephews.

Cons: The end was a bit predictable.

Conclusion: This episode was the opposite of "Sold!" and obviously much better, another thing I want to mention is the fact that Mr. Lawrence was the one who wrote this episode, and who we unfortunately gave very poor work in past seasons as "Face Freeze" and I feared that this episode was boring or mediocre due that simple fact, but to my surprise was very good, making me remember their old episodes of seasons 1 and 2.

Final Rating: 9.0 / 10 (Very Good)

11th

Moby Dollar
Slowly catching up on things, and I just watched this episode. While the plot was pretty straightforward, it worked. It's always nice to see Plankton actually posing a kinda' legitimate threat.The pacing in the second half of season nine as a whole has been kinda' wonky from what I've seen, but this felt okay until the end where they ran out of time. Visually, the 2D was very solid, as with the majority of season nine, but the opening CG wasn't very appealing... It's not just because it was "bad" CG, because it has been intentionally used elsewhere in the show and worked, but maybe because the layout kinda weak? I'd need to watch it again to make a more specific comment. /:

But, in all honesty, I'm just commenting because they used the word "copepod" twice. (One of my science classes in high school ended up turning me into a copepod nerd. I thought of that class a few years later and decided to look some things up and my brain cells started churning and ahhh.)

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
I really enjoyed this episode, but it seemed to end too quickly for me. I thought using fortune cookies made for an interesting plot. It was funny when Squidward was named 'most miserable cashier' and given an award for it, and Mr. Krabs' thoughts about his funeral. I also really liked how Mr. Krabs and Plankton called each other by their first names - that was a nice touch. 8/10

mitchellthespongebobfan

Imitation Krab
I really, really enjoyed this episode for numerous reasons. First off, a lot of the times when shows get into later seasons there's a lot of repeated ideas, which has been shown in the Spongebob episode plots lately. This episode felt completely unique as nothing with fortune cookies has been done on the show. Yes, the beginning was a little cheesy with yet another item from above finding its way to Bikini Bottom, but I personally loved the scene where Spongebob recognizes that the box is getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger, AND BIGGER, AND BIGGER! As far as jokes go this episode has a lot of good ones, especially the fortune that read, and I quote, "You will soon injury your legs" followed by the ever-so iconic "My legs!!! Hey, I was looking for an excuse to get our of jury duty." The scene of the two customers who eat their hats and fall in love was, while disturbing, still really funny. Later in the episode Plankton gets involved, as he switches out the original fortune cookies with ones that tell customers the Krusty Krab is bad and Chum Bucket is good. I enjoyed the Mr. Krabs funeral scene after he read the fortune about himself dying, as it showed the reappearance of Grandpa Redbeard and Betsy Krabs (Also it was reassuring to know Krabs cared about his own life more than a formula). Now as far of the ending goes, there were things I liked and things I didn't. I liked the scene where Plankton had to row through the "sea" of fish and was then forced to chase the Krabby Patty formula around the restaurant. Now, what I didn't like was how easy he gave up. I mean, I get that he wanted the customers out of his restaurant but still. Anyways, this episode was amazing and one of my favorites from all of season 9.

This episode was very enjoyable. Plankton's plot is so creative, and there are many gags that simply work in this episode (my personal favorite being the "most miserable cash register in Bikini Bottom" joke.) Another gag I liked was the funeral scene (it's way funnier in the episode than it would seem on paper.) As a whole, this was a fun episode. 9/10

I like it. What's with the hate this episode is getting? I found it quite funny, and, c'mon, you all knew Mr. Krabs wasn't actually going to die. It tells a good story, too. Not the best episode ever, but still good.

Ranking so far:
1. CopyBob DittoPants (A+)
2. What's Eating Patrick? (A+)
3. Larry's Gym (A+)
4. License to Milkshake (A)
5. Tutor Sauce (A)
6. Evil Spatula (A)
7. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
8. Patrick! The Game (A)
9. Pull Up a Barrel (A)
10. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
11. Sharks vs. Pods (A)
12. Lame and Fortune (B)
13. Bumper to Bumper (B)
14. Plankton's Pet (B)
15. Jailbreak! (B)
16. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
17. Patrick-Man! (B)
18. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (B)
19. Yeti Krabs (B)
20. Sold! (B)
21. Extreme Spots (B)
22. Mall Girl Pearl (B)
23. Squid Plus One (B)
24. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
25. Gary's New Toy (B)
26. Company Picnic (B)
27. Don't Look Now (C)
28. Squirrel Record (C)
29. The Executive Treatment (C)
30. Two Thumbs Down (C)
31. The Fish Bowl (C)
32. Seance Shmeance (C)
33. SpongeBob LongPants (C)
34. Sanctuary! (D)
35. Squid Defense (D)
36. Kenny the Cat (D)
37. Married to Money (E)
38. Squid Baby (E)
39. Little Yellow Book (F)
40. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one was good. The plot is really interesting, and while the story is pretty simple and predictable, it still has some good comedy sprinkled here and there to keep it from getting boring. I also really like the ending.

Good episode (7/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Sold! (8)
5. Squid Plus One (8)
6. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
7. Pull up a Barrel (8)
8. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
9. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
10 Tutor Sauce (7)
11. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
12. Lame and Fortune (7)
13. Larry's Gym (7)
14. Jailbreak (7)
15. Copybob Dittopants (7)
16. License to Milkshake (6)
17. Patrick! the Game (6)
18. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
19. Extreme Spots (6)
20. The Executive Treatment (6)
21. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
22. Squid Defense (6)
23. Gary's New Toy (6)
24. Bumper to Bumper (6)
25. Squirrel Record (5)
26. Séance Schméance (5)
27. Two Thumbs Down (5)
28. Patrick-Man! (5)
29. Married to Money (5)
30. Evil Spatula (5)
31. Company Picnic (5)
32. Kenny the Cat (5)
33. Sanctuary! (5)
34. Spongebob Longpants (4)
35. The Fish Bowl (4)
36. Yeti Krabs (4)
37. Don't Look Now (4)
38. Squid Baby (3)
39. Little Yellow Book (2)
40. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Sold! (8)
4. Squid Plus One (8)
5. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
6. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
7. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
8. Tutor Sauce (7)
9. Lame and Fortune (7)
10. Larry's Gym (7)
11. Copybob Dittopants (7)
12. Patrick! the Game (6)
13. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
14. The Executive Treatment (6)
15. Two Thumbs Down (5)
16. Married to Money (5)
17. Company Picnic (5)
18. Sanctuary! (5)
19. Spongebob Longpants (4)
20. The Fish Bowl (4)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Lame and Fortune” is an episode I’ve barely seen. I don’t know why, but it’s like the one season 9 episode I’ve only watched like…twice. I must’ve missed the original premiere or something. Anyway, this means that a rewatch was sorely needed. This is a small thing, but I love how they animated the beginning, live action portion of this episode. Obviously it’s not real, hence I say animated. I don’t know, just something about the style is…nice?

Okay, let’s get into the normal chronological look at the episode. I like that the beginning of this episode shows SpongeBob and Gary just chilling in the backyard watching clouds, y’all know I love seeing SpongeBob and Gary’s relationship. And they’re just cute. Also, I love how this episode completely ignores the fact that SpongeBob and co. are supposed to be much smaller than regular humans, because the fortune cookies are now hand-sized to them. Ehhh…let me just say it’s because of the pressure and call it a day. Yes, I know that’s in no way scientific.

The plot of this episode is pretty different. I like when stuff from the “human world” falls down to Bikini Bottom, it usually makes for an interesting episode, like “Frankendoodle”. And also, I would’ve never expected this show to make an episode about fortune cookies of all things, like that’s pretty new and interesting to me. And I like what this episode does with it. I mean, having the fortunes come true and fun ways isn’t a new concept, but we don’t always need new. Sometimes we just need tried and true. This episode is pretty simple as that basically describes most of the plot.

Of course, Mr. Krabs takes these fortune cookies and makes them a business opportunity, as he does. And hey, it ends up being pretty fun to watch too. But of course, we can’t have a Krusty Krab business plot without a little bit of conflict, and who better to bring that conflict than Plankton? After a funny scene between Plankton and Karen, Plankton comes up with a plot to run Krabs out of business, as always. Plankton’s little idea here reminds me a lot of “Naughty Nautical Neighbors”, except on a much bigger scale. I love how Plankton ends up giving Mr. Krabs one too. So I guess “never say die” doesn’t exist anymore?

Mr. Krabs dream funeral is hilarious, and I definitely spotted a couple great easter eggs in there! I love when this show does easter eggs and background details. I know that’s been used as a big complaint for modern episodes, but I truly do not care lol. It’s fun to see a show be self-referential. Anyway, I love how this episode basically again confirms the quasi-father-son relationship between Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob. I mean…”your life is worth more than a scrap of paper in a bottle”??? SpongeBob being the one to cry the most at the funeral?? Just walk with me guys.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

Back