130b. Model Sponge

Joined
Feb 7, 2012
Messages
1,130
Location
The Internet


Ah, Model Sponge. This is Mr. Lawrence's first episode on Spongebob since Season 2. And, I'll admit, it's pretty great all the way through. From Spongebob's conversation with Squidward about being the "Little Guy" to the billboard scene (this is a job for a Sponge!) and Drinkable Sausage, it's a great episode for Season 7, and feels very much like a Rocko's Modern Life episode. IMO, it's a contender for best Post-Movie episode, but it's overlooked a lot of the time. It's some really great work from Casey, Zeus, and Doug. 10/10.

Yes, it's that spectacular. Your thoughts on the episode?
 
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
164
Now that I think about it, this episode was pretty good, and did feel like Rocko's Modern Life. 7.4/10.
 
Joined
Aug 24, 2013
Messages
11,260
Location
Hell
I liked this episode but It's not one of my favorite season 7 episodes because some parts were boring and I think this episode could have been better but It's still a great episode. Some parts made me laugh like Patrick borrowing SpongeBob's refrigerator, then SpongeBob saying "What happened to yours" and then Patrick saying "Nothing, It's just empty", SpongeBob singing, the commercial and the ending. I rate this episode 8.5/10
 

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Joined
Jan 9, 2014
Messages
1,337
Location
Ohio
Why do they always have to rip-off Karate Choppers and Squid On Strike? They almost never get it right. Same with Bummer Vacation, its the exact same formula. SpongeBob gets fired and tries to get another job and he fails and Mr. Krabs wants him back. That's what happens in every post-movie firing SpongeBob ones.
 
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
2,612
Location
Cyril Figgis Agency
Spongetron Robotpants said:
Why do they always have to rip-off Karate Choppers and Squid On Strike? They almost never get it right. Same with Bummer Vacation, its the exact same formula. SpongeBob gets fired and tries to get another job and he fails and Mr. Krabs wants him back. That's what happens in every post-movie firing SpongeBob ones.
Spongebob didn't get fired in Bummer Vacation. Mr. Krabs told him to take some time off from work, but he has difficulty staying away.
 

RedSoxFan274

Vote Democratic!!!!!!! Boston Red Sox World Champ
Joined
Feb 15, 2009
Messages
8,825
Location
L.A. or Boston: Your Choice.
Spongebob didn't get fired in Bummer Vacation. Mr. Krabs told him to take some time off from work, but he has difficulty staying away.

But in all instances, his firings/forced vacations have been for the same reason: to save Mr. K a load of cash. And considering how every time SB gets fired he comes back in pretty much the same amount of time as in Bummer Vacation, there's really not too much point in differentiating between them.

The early scenes in this where SB can't do anything except make a Krabby Patty were completely ripped off by "SpongeBob, You're Fired." These episodes are getting so repetitive it's almost insulting.
 

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Joined
Dec 25, 2013
Messages
5,668
Location
Stupidtown, Wumbo
RedSoxFan274 said:
But in all instances, his firings/forced vacations have been for the same reason: to save Mr. K a load of cash. And considering how every time SB gets fired he comes back in pretty much the same amount of time as in Bummer Vacation, there's really not too much point in differentiating between them.

The early scenes in this where SB can't do anything except make a Krabby Patty were completely ripped off by "SpongeBob, You're Fired." These episodes are getting so repetitive it's almost insulting.
I can see why that would be after 200+ episodes and what, 14+ years of being on the air. Nick just won't stop ordering new seasons so expect more reused ideas and throwaway specials to meet their quota. I also think that the "special" was another one where there was probably more than meets the eye behind the scenes wise that we don't know about but that's just my two cents on that matter.
 

MadFred

ooooooofy day
Joined
Jan 6, 2014
Messages
1,312
iyamtheman72 said:
I can see why that would be after 200+ episodes and what, 14+ years of being on the air. Nick just won't stop ordering new seasons so expect more reused ideas and throwaway specials to meet their quota. I also think that the "special" was another one where there was probably more than meets the eye behind the scenes wise that we don't know about but that's just my two cents on that matter.
Spongebob still has creative episodes in the last seasons, like Planet of the Jellyfish and Plankton's Pet. They just need to put more thought on the plot, and, as much as I hate to admit it.. Better writers.
 

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Joined
Dec 25, 2013
Messages
5,668
Location
Stupidtown, Wumbo
Ohad said:
Spongebob still has creative episodes in the last seasons, like Planet of the Jellyfish and Plankton's Pet. They just need to put more thought on the plot, and, as much as I hate to admit it.. Better writers.
To a certain extent true. Who knows what the post second movie season might hold. Maybe lots of new, fresh talent on board to make things fresher I hope and before anyone objects to that, as much as it would be cool if the even older writers returned, I don't see that as being likely at all. They all seem very busy doing other work and have long moved on from The Bob. Derek Drymon from what I heard has been working at Dreamworks for a while.
 

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Joined
Dec 25, 2013
Messages
5,668
Location
Stupidtown, Wumbo
Okay finally saw this one. Pretty average stuff, especially with the story but I gave them some extra points for bringing back that Hand guy (I think Hans is his name, I dunno). Between this and a lot of the other episodes in this season, I'll happily watch this one over any of those any day and there wasn't anything else I really had a problem with, so this one gets a 6.5/10
 

Kerdem

Banished
Joined
Mar 8, 2014
Messages
532
Location
Turkey
OK.I'm Suprised Nobody Hates This One.First Off It Directly Rips Off As Seen On Tv .Most Parts Are Boring And Pointless.And That Commercial Was Very Disgusting And Uncomfortable To Watch. 2/10
 

MasiHosseini

Moby Dollar
Joined
Aug 8, 2013
Messages
2,452
Location
Arnhem
Season: 7

Episode: Model Sponge

This episode was decent. I kinda liked the plot, and it felt indeed like a Rocko's Modern Life episodes. It had some jokes. 6.5/10
 

Bl4zeTMG

420 Bl4ze it
Joined
Feb 23, 2014
Messages
1,433
Location
Michigan
Dull and boring. While I like the plot on how simple and clever it is, it's just... Dull.. The only joke I can really find here is the very ending. That's about it. I will say that it's an upper meh episode. 6/10
 

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Joined
Jun 29, 2013
Messages
4,979
Location
Shell City
Pretty good/watchable. I'd give it around a 7.5/10 or so.

The bathroom commercial scene and the return of Hans was great.
 
Top