101a. House Fancy

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I actually kind of like this episode. The plot is great, and there were a few jokes that actually made me chuckle. Granted, some of the jokes don't hit, like the toilet crawling into Squidward's arms, but overall it's a mildly funny episode. I don't really like Spongebob in this episode; he's mostly just there to make the situation worse and I don't really think he needed to be in this episode. He's not too bad, but yeah, it's not too great. And, of course, I can't talk about this episode without mentioning the infamous toenail scene, and let me just say, it's as bad as everyone says it is. Despite all that, I still think this episode is pretty entertaining.

Average episode (6/10)

Pstar

A helicopter (formerly an idiot)
6/10

Why is everyone upset about a 5+ seconds scene

Last edited:

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Honestly, if it weren't for the toenail scene, I don't think anyone would discuss this episode anywhere near as much. Aside from the mixed humor, and Squidward's victory at the end, nothing else about the episode is memorable; it's just Spongebob and Patrick messing up Squidward's house once again.
It's very mediocre in my opinion

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I have to admit this one was AWFUL! The word scumbob is all over it! I hated the whole episode. SpongeBob was ragingly unlikable and that toenail scene was mega disgusting!

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
House Fancy (Bad)

Last edited:

Vemsa

Imitation Krab
this episode is a pretty great way to start off season 6. the concept is a nice parody of those real estate tv shows you see on HGTV. squilliam's house being portrayed as all "fancy" in contrast to squidward's is a nice way to set up the plot, and allows for some good jokes along the way, such as the gags with the "gilded doorknob." many people hate the toenail scene in this episode, and while it is unnecessary, it doesn't really bother me. squidward's victory in the end is also a good surprise.

rating: great

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well, it’s the start of a new month, and y’all know what that means—new season to review! And we’ve got a fun time ahead of us, because this month I’m reviewing season 6, which is one of the most disliked (if not the most disliked) seasons that this show has to offer, with infamous episodes all over the place, and middling episode quality (according to others). Just looking at the episode list, there’s some real juicy stuff in here, and I already know I’ve got some unpopular opinions on a couple of these, so this will be fun. I’m also excited for this season because like I’ve been saying these last couple months, I like to revisit these infamous episodes to see if they’re really as bad as they seem. And what do you know, with the beginning of season 6 we’re thrown right into one of them with “House Fancy”!

The way this episode begins brings to mind “Good Neighbors” which…probably isn’t a good thing lol. If you remember, I put that episode in my “Tolerable” tier, and even if you didn’t remember that, that episode has quite the reputation. Right up there with this episode, actually. But see where that episode and this episode differ is that this episode has a reputation because of one scene and basically nothing else, while that episode (while it does have a standout scene I suppose) is more infamous because of multiple reasons and scenes. Anyway, it’s cute to watch Squidward get all ready for his favorite TV program, because that’s very me-core. Literally that’s me preparing to rewatching this episode for the review. I’ve got snacks and everything. And the intro to House Fancy is just hilarious to me, I love all the kinda bad 3D animation, and the tune in the background is very pleasant to listen to. Of course Squidward can’t enjoy his show for long, as we get the entrance of one Squilliam Fancyson! Man, it’s been a while since we’ve seen him. And honestly Squilliam is hilarious to me because he’s the one who’s obsessed with Squidward, not the other way around (and you can especially see this in the Perch Perkins YouTube series that’s been going on for a couple months now). Like he called Squidward telling him about House Fancy and then is like “oh I gotta go” like bro you called! Anyway, I thought that the shot of the teacup falling on the floor was really nice, a good tension-filled shot that’s the epitome of symbolic shots lol. And then I love all of Squidward’s reactions to what he’s seeing on TV, they’re pretty funny, and the tour of Squilliam’s home is really fun to watch.

That’s one thing about this episode I like, I love how it’s just basically an HGTV parody (even though that channel is mostly about finding homes or fixing them up or whatever). As an HGTV fan I appreciate that. And also as an avid rich people house looker I appreciate this a lot too. But anyway, Squilliam’s house is perfectly gaudy and pretentious. And I love how weird Nicky is, it’s great. I also like the recurring “hello” bit. It’s not super funny on its own but the repetition really helps it out here.

And then of course we move to the next part of the episode, which is Squidward talking out the side of his neck about his house being fancier than Squilliam’s, before of course having to actually make his house fancy. Honestly, Squidward’s house is pretty nice…just not fancy. And then I honestly love SpongeBob’s absolutely random appearance in this episode, spying on Squidward for no reason. The dialogue between the two of them was great. Yeah we’re leaning fully into SpongeBob being creepy but I’ve never not liked that characterization…he’s always been a weird little dude. From here, we get SpongeBob doing an impression of “Wet Painters” but he’s a lot less careful here than he was in that episode. Where some might see this as evidence of “flanderization” or whatever, I see it as making perfect sense because Squidward did not instill the fear of God in SpongeBob before doing this so…(i’m kind of halfway joking…maybe). Squidward’s reaction to the mess SpongeBob makes is hilarious though, like that dialogue was actually perfect. Honestly, Squidward is fantastic in this episode, a real standout.

It is here that we move onto the infamous toenail scene. This is the scene that drags this episode down into the trenches for people. And all I have to say to that is…are y’all serious? I respect other people’s opinions, I truly do, but my god the way some people act about this scene makes me think I’m about to get something like “The Splinter” or the gross-up in “Whatever Happened to SpongeBob” or even something like what we saw in “To Love A Patty” (which also, now that I’m thinking about it, how come those gross-ups are always complained about, but never the one in “Nasty Patty”?? smells like favoritism). See, when I sit here and watch this scene, yeah the toenail ripping off is painful, but it doesn’t really feel that gross to me? People really oversell how graphic the scene is. Also, it literally lasts like...20 seconds. And the scene is still plenty enjoyable to me. Maybe I just like Squidward’s screaming I don’t know. But most importantly, SpongeBob is not being malicious here, so like there’s really no frustration for me to have watching this scene, and there’s no disgust either. With You’re Nice playing in the background it actually makes the scene somewhat humorous.

From there, we get some chaos as the vacuum SpongeBob brings down starts going crazy, vacuuming everything. And then surprise Patrick appearance! I love how he just goes there to take a dump lmao, and the way he’s like “no questions” is hilarious. And then I love how dramatic the literal toilet ends up being, that was super funny. I like how this episode really builds up all the stressful things Squidward has to deal with, it’s a great interplay of tension and humor that of course just has to end in my favorite thing, which is stuff randomly blowing up. And what I really love is that after all of these trials and tribulations, Squidward wins in the end, with his artfully blown up house being crowned the most fancy of them all. It’s super satisfying to see him win not only over Squilliam, but also over all the chaos that befell him in the last 2 hours.

I’m not even gonna leave y’all in suspense—I like “House Fancy”. This is a good episode! And the hate’s gotta go. Because other than the toenail scene, please tell me a real and legitimate complaint about this episode. The only one I can think of is that it’s not especially funny, which I agree with. That’s why this episode is in my “Great” tier (which means that season 6 is the first season to not start with an Amazing-tier episode). But seriously, what is there to actually hate here? I’m curious.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.7/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Well, it’s the start of a new month, and y’all know what that means—new season to review! And we’ve got a fun time ahead of us, because this month I’m reviewing season 6, which is one of the most disliked (if not the most disliked) seasons that this show has to offer, with infamous episodes all over the place, and middling episode quality (according to others). Just looking at the episode list, there’s some real juicy stuff in here, and I already know I’ve got some unpopular opinions on a couple of these, so this will be fun. I’m also excited for this season because like I’ve been saying these last couple months, I like to revisit these infamous episodes to see if they’re really as bad as they seem. And what do you know, with the beginning of season 6 we’re thrown right into one of them with “House Fancy”!

The way this episode begins brings to mind “Good Neighbors” which…probably isn’t a good thing lol. If you remember, I put that episode in my “Tolerable” tier, and even if you didn’t remember that, that episode has quite the reputation. Right up there with this episode, actually. But see where that episode and this episode differ is that this episode has a reputation because of one scene and basically nothing else, while that episode (while it does have a standout scene I suppose) is more infamous because of multiple reasons and scenes. Anyway, it’s cute to watch Squidward get all ready for his favorite TV program, because that’s very me-core. Literally that’s me preparing to rewatching this episode for the review. I’ve got snacks and everything. And the intro to House Fancy is just hilarious to me, I love all the kinda bad 3D animation, and the tune in the background is very pleasant to listen to. Of course Squidward can’t enjoy his show for long, as we get the entrance of one Squilliam Fancyson! Man, it’s been a while since we’ve seen him. And honestly Squilliam is hilarious to me because he’s the one who’s obsessed with Squidward, not the other way around (and you can especially see this in the Perch Perkins YouTube series that’s been going on for a couple months now). Like he called Squidward telling him about House Fancy and then is like “oh I gotta go” like bro you called! Anyway, I thought that the shot of the teacup falling on the floor was really nice, a good tension-filled shot that’s the epitome of symbolic shots lol. And then I love all of Squidward’s reactions to what he’s seeing on TV, they’re pretty funny, and the tour of Squilliam’s home is really fun to watch.

That’s one thing about this episode I like, I love how it’s just basically an HGTV parody (even though that channel is mostly about finding homes or fixing them up or whatever). As an HGTV fan I appreciate that. And also as an avid rich people house looker I appreciate this a lot too. But anyway, Squilliam’s house is perfectly gaudy and pretentious. And I love how weird Nicky is, it’s great. I also like the recurring “hello” bit. It’s not super funny on its own but the repetition really helps it out here.

And then of course we move to the next part of the episode, which is Squidward talking out the side of his neck about his house being fancier than Squilliam’s, before of course having to actually make his house fancy. Honestly, Squidward’s house is pretty nice…just not fancy. And then I honestly love SpongeBob’s absolutely random appearance in this episode, spying on Squidward for no reason. The dialogue between the two of them was great. Yeah we’re leaning fully into SpongeBob being creepy but I’ve never not liked that characterization…he’s always been a weird little dude. From here, we get SpongeBob doing an impression of “Wet Painters” but he’s a lot less careful here than he was in that episode. Where some might see this as evidence of “flanderization” or whatever, I see it as making perfect sense because Squidward did not instill the fear of God in SpongeBob before doing this so…(i’m kind of halfway joking…maybe). Squidward’s reaction to the mess SpongeBob makes is hilarious though, like that dialogue was actually perfect. Honestly, Squidward is fantastic in this episode, a real standout.

It is here that we move onto the infamous toenail scene. This is the scene that drags this episode down into the trenches for people. And all I have to say to that is…are y’all serious? I respect other people’s opinions, I truly do, but my god the way some people act about this scene makes me think I’m about to get something like “The Splinter” or the gross-up in “Whatever Happened to SpongeBob” or even something like what we saw in “To Love A Patty” (which also, now that I’m thinking about it, how come those gross-ups are always complained about, but never the one in “Nasty Patty”?? smells like favoritism). See, when I sit here and watch this scene, yeah the toenail ripping off is painful, but it doesn’t really feel that gross to me? People really oversell how graphic the scene is. Also, it literally lasts like...20 seconds. And the scene is still plenty enjoyable to me. Maybe I just like Squidward’s screaming I don’t know. But most importantly, SpongeBob is not being malicious here, so like there’s really no frustration for me to have watching this scene, and there’s no disgust either. With You’re Nice playing in the background it actually makes the scene somewhat humorous.

From there, we get some chaos as the vacuum SpongeBob brings down starts going crazy, vacuuming everything. And then surprise Patrick appearance! I love how he just goes there to take a dump lmao, and the way he’s like “no questions” is hilarious. And then I love how dramatic the literal toilet ends up being, that was super funny. I like how this episode really builds up all the stressful things Squidward has to deal with, it’s a great interplay of tension and humor that of course just has to end in my favorite thing, which is stuff randomly blowing up. And what I really love is that after all of these trials and tribulations, Squidward wins in the end, with his artfully blown up house being crowned the most fancy of them all. It’s super satisfying to see him win not only over Squilliam, but also over all the chaos that befell him in the last 2 hours.

I’m not even gonna leave y’all in suspense—I like “House Fancy”. This is a good episode! And the hate’s gotta go. Because other than the toenail scene, please tell me a real and legitimate complaint about this episode. The only one I can think of is that it’s not especially funny, which I agree with. That’s why this episode is in my “Great” tier (which means that season 6 is the first season to not start with an Amazing-tier episode). But seriously, what is there to actually hate here? I’m curious.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.7/10
slightly off topic but there's something in seasons 6-8 that makes it look really off, it has a weird blur to it so it makes the characters look much more ugly, i think it makes squid look really ugly

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
slightly off topic but there's something in seasons 6-8 that makes it look really off, it has a weird blur to it so it makes the characters look much more ugly, i think it makes squid look really ugly
I know exactly what you mean. It's like they thinned the lines or something, it's just very weird. There are some definite exceptions to this (especially in season 6. seasons 7 and 8 kind of standardized the style from what I remember...those seasons were quite stiff), but yeah I agree.

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
would give a 10 because its funny and squidward wins oh yeah I guess there was something about a toenail?

Last edited:

Jovanaspongebobfan88

Floating Shopping List
I like this episode but the Toenail scene is just GOD,I don't wanna talk about that scene.The toenail scene will always make me sick but the rest of good 6/10

Back