092. Atlantis Squarepantis

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 5

Episode: Atlantis Squarepantis

This episode was bad. The plot was decent. Spongebob & Patrick were obnoxious. Plankton's cameo was useless. There were few funny jokes. 5/10

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
It's pretty much almost a carbon copy of Willy Wonka. 3/10

Supmandude

Squog
Bl4zeTMG said:
It's pretty much almost a carbon copy of Willy Wonka. 3/10
I keep hearing people say this, but it isn't even remotely true. In Willy Wonka, the kids go away because they did something stupid that had negative repercussions. In this they just want to stay in the rooms that they're in, because they like it and nothing bad happens. It's not anything like Willy Wonka.

Giant Clam
This episode is not as bad as people make out. 4/10. Just kinda mediocre.

DarknessDG

Imitation Krab
update: >me complaining about the shortness of plot
>me being feed with mr enterism
>me trying to be a reviewer

lol stupid summer 2015 me you can't be a reviewer

Before we get on to this, the actual Spongebob plot is only 23 minutes long.
The songs? 9 minutes. Everything else? 13 minutes. That's 22 minutes of wasted plot, about half the "movie." They had 45 minutes but the end result was terrible. Literally, the team goes to see a bubble, but I'm here to talk about what was wasted and what would've saved this episode.

This is basically a ripoff of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. However, the closest we get to a problem in each character segment is Sandy's and all that happens is a song that is also bad, like the rest. We could've had Mr. Krabs adoring the money so much that he tries to steal it, Sandy actually fighting the germs with things other than video game references, Squidward getting stuck in one of the paintings, and the Plankton subplot being important! But no, it was rushed and what did we get? Songs. Songs, songs, songs, songs, songs.
:fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail:

A musical is not bad but when the songs are horrible, then what's the point? And the lyrics are stale:
I bet we can figure out how to make wondrous things, like melons with edible rinds!
And that's not all, listen to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLYClihmka8

giphy.gif

OH WHAT WAS THAT? WE HAVE SONGS LIKE THE IF I WAS BACK IN TEXAS, FUN SONG, THIS KITCHEN IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT YOU, AND THE CAMPFIRE SONG SONG AND THIS EXIST? THIS A DISGRACE! :fail:
There's most of the songs are upbeat(which isn't bad but when the singing sounds like that...) and have no purpose than to just be there. I think the voice actors didn't want to try, they knew it was going to be bad anyways.

ok i know i shouldn't interupt this but this line so horrible wth me be more nice jesus

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PgXXJUOsmY
Sounds better than the songs. AND WHEN THAT SOUNDS BETTER YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG!
(clears throat) So, what would've saved it? Better lyrics, better instruments, more importance, and better singing.

The writers didn't even try, didn't they? It was just a ratings trap. A twisted ratings trap.

also the songs being worse than the french very first christmas to me can be debated

Flabby Patty

Flabby Patty > Krusty Krab
To be honest, I'm a fan of this special. Patchy was pretty cool in this special (compared to a lot of others), the songs were actually decent, and I liked the plot as well. Even if the special has some "unfinished business" and some stupid goofing off, at least it had clever jokes and more that outweighed those two things. Otherwise, it was a neat special that I thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend. :) 8.5/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Atlantis Squarepantis: Let's get this straight: The episode is not as bad as a lot of people think. I actually enjoy some of the songs, and there we're a few funny jokes. 6/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
CakeCup said:
Atlantis Squarepantis: Let's get this straight: The episode is not as bad as a lot of people think. I actually enjoy some of the songs, and there we're a few funny jokes. 6/10
Looks like I need to give a more detailed review.

This episode is no way near as bad as some other members say. Bandwagoners everywhere, lol. Even though some of the songs get on my nerves after a while, I still don't hate them. In fact, I loved the Bubble Song, and Goodbye Atlantis (.....I can explain). The problem with the songs is, they play too many of them and its certainly not their best singing. The art styles used in the episode were pretty eye-catching (in a good way), I liked the 8-bit video game style used during Sandy's song, and the animation used during Mr. Krab's song (even though his song wasn't that good, not very good singing). Plankton's subplot seemed useless because the writers could have cut it from the episode, and there was no loss of meaning. Filler, much? Anyway, I loved how David Bowie played Lord Royal Highness, but why was he selected not to sing a song. It just confuses me a bit. Nevertheless, I pretty much loved the Spongebob scenes in here. Why? Because the plot was actually a great plot. It was pretty simple and bare, but there was a lot of creativity put into this episode, despite it being similar to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The design of the rooms were creative and fun to look at. While the songs are not the best, I liked the background art. There were some jokes that were actually hilarious, like the ice cream toward the end and the fight scene. I dig the Willy Wonka parody of this

Ok, on to the Patchy scenes. Yes, I hate them. They seemed wayyyy too weird, and it wasted half of the episode. Way to go, Patchy. I was confused on the way they did the Patchy scenes? Were they trying to make it funny? it didn't really seem that funny to me, at all. Patchy can do way better segments, but these segments were awful :trash:.

Whoa. This is going to be hard to give a rating too. Thanks to wasted Patchy scenes that took up half the episode, I can't give it a good rating. But the Spongebob segments had a lot of creativity and thought put into their background art, despite the plot-o-filler. Not to mention, I love David Bowie, so I can't give this episode a bad rating. This is going to be kinda hard for me to give a rating, but I would say this is an okay special as a whole. But I am leaning toward it being debatable. I am on the fence with my rating here, but I will give this special a........

here it comes!

6.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
An awful episode in an otherwise mostly solid 5th season. This episode's plagued with many problems but the biggest ones are with the story, it's just abysmally told. It begins with some promise but it's just they like something and they find it in Atlantis when they reach the lost city. This episode could've had wondrous visuals but Atlantis looks very forgettable, and sterile. All of the styles they do try are fairly half-baked and feel very forced. There is little to no substance or adventure and the thing is padded out with terrible songs and Patchy segments. This episode couldn't have the decency to be funny either. All of the jokes are simple and just character traits ala Truth or Square. Nothing was funny and the story was completely awful. When this came out it was a new low for this show. A low that wouldn't be topped until Boating Buddies. The best I can say about this TV movie is that it's interesting to analyze and imagine how it could have been good, still this episode's a train-wreck and my least-favorite episode of season 5 1.5/10.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This one isn't very good, the songs are bad, it's a rip-off of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and it's not that funny. It's not the worst episode out there.

4/10

Invincibubble

Krabby Patty Perfectionist
I honestly don't see why people hate on this episode so much, this episode was great! It had a solid and interesting plot, great and memorable songs(this episode came out 9 years ago, yet I still remember all the songs by heart) and great jokes. A solid 9/10 in my opinion. The only negatives I have about this episode is the Patchy the Pirate parts, even then they weren't that bad.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Patchy's segments made it slower but it didn't bother me , I love this episode and I think it's quite underrated...Also, IDK if you guys heard but David Bowie passed away...it feels so strange to me :( ! Anyways, there were some good quotes and funny, some GOOD songs I am in love with...and some scenes that they are so creative...9.5/10 !

Invincibubble said:
I honestly don't see why people hate on this episode so much, this episode was great! It had a solid and interesting plot, great and memorable songs(this episode came out 9 years ago, yet I still remember all the songs by heart) and great jokes. A solid 9/10 in my opinion. The only negatives I have about this episode is the Patchy the Pirate parts, even then they weren't that bad.
SAME, SAME, SAME :D

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
When me and my brothers were anticipated to Fairly Odd Baby, we got real phyced about the movies before this, especially Alantis Squarepantis. And guess what? Only one of us were happy, and it was our 3 year old bro. Jody and I... well, here's the reaction:
Jody: Mila, is this a joke? Is this the movie?
Me: Uh... I dunno... all they did was sing and play and... it was just ... GAWD!
Jody: What the heck was it again?
Me: (reading on a TV guide) It's supposed to be the best SP eppie ever. No it wasen't! Do you know what's better than this? Snails!
Jody: C'mon, Mila! At least there should be one good point.
Me: No. There. Isn't! The Characters are being stupid, they don't act right, they just... blow! The music is more mind-numbing than HSM! THe storiline is screwed up. What was the writers' on?!
Jody: Mila, it wasen't that bad...
Me: (glare) Really, do you like it?
Jody: (braking) No! Thanks for this, Mila!
Can't belive Stephen Hillibege didn't finish this. I hate you for this! You reallyhave two choises:
1. You make all the episodes better...
OR
2. You stop the show for eva!

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
Overly long snooze-fest of an episode. The Patchy stuff is annoying and the Spongebob parts are easily some of the most boring stuff I've seen on the show. The songs are terrible (outside of "The Bubble Song" at the beginning, I actually thought it was good), all it does is shove everyone's favorite activities in our face, which we see in just about every episode they appear in, and there's nothing I enjoyed here.

2/10

PinkPearl

insert title here
Having listened to Pieguy's review, I feel like I should give my own thoughts.

Cons:
Main problem of the episode: half of it is taken from Willy Wonka. I don't mind little references to things here and there. But when half the episode is just based upon another work with little deviation in plot points (minus the characters), it's hard to enjoy it as something original. It's almost a ripoff at that point.

Slow and formulaic, as Pieguy said. Nothing really happens. Characters go somewhere, love it, and don't want to leave. By the time that Patrick almost causes issue, even that's not interesting and it's "solved" too quickly and randomly.

Too. Many. Songs. And the songs just didn't sound good, or were boring, or repetitive. Mr. Krabs loves money? Yeah, that's been done. I found myself, even years ago, wishing for the songs to be done so we could move onto the plot...of course, I wasn't missing much there.

The story was just too long for nothing to have happened.

Pros:
I did enjoy the Sandy video game scene. That was cool.

Like House Fancy, I enjoyed seeing the various aspects of a new place. But unlike House Fancy, there wasn't really an accompanying storyline.

Final score: 2/10

Atlantis Squarepantis was O.K. , the musical numbers were actually pretty catchy and fun tunes for me to listen to! It had the most beautiful visuals and smoothest animation, so this is visually nice. But in terms of telling a story was O.K. The beginning was smooth in both visuals and story, but the idea of a song-fueled bus felt somewhat abrupt and out of nowhere.l It was creative but needed explaining. Story felt rushed and not as climatic as I though it would be. Patchy segments were boring, but again, creative. Also, I see what people mean by saying it ripped off Willy Wonka. So, overall I think Atlantis Squarepantis had potential: creative and clever ideas, but were executed poorly. 6.5/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Why did they choose to rip off Willy Wonka? Why did they have David Bowie in a musical where he doesn't sing? Why are the songs' lyrics so forced? Why? Why?? Why??? It honestly feels like they thought about it once and went with the first idea that would fit the run time. It's really boring, really annoying, and the art styles are very tacky. The songs are dreadful for me, the lyircs feel so half-aced, you look at other SpongeBob songs (not even Pre-Movie) and this it just pales in comparison.

I wanted a story similar to Dunces and Dragons, where there is an adventure through Atlantis, that would have been interesting and cool. But it goes full Willy Wonka for no reason at all, it really doesn't fit, and they could've made it much better. Plankton's involvement in this is also tedious, his only purpose is to fill that popped bubble, but why? They traveled millions of years with this bubble how could this fulfill it so easily?

It's just rushed, I don't like watching it, it's what I call a filler 44 minutes. This isn't even talking about the bizarre, almost stupid Patchy segments crammed in between. I won't give a rating just yet, because I need to be sure, but oh man is it bad, really bad.

Back