092. Atlantis Squarepantis

Is this a bad time to say that I actually like this episode? The songs, while not great, aren't too bad. Yes, some of the lyrics seem forced. So what? There are PLENTY of worse songs out there. Plus the plot is really cool, I like some of the jokes, and the climax is intense. Atlantis SquarePantis, while not perfect, is nowhere near as bad as others make it out to be.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. The Krusty Plate (A)
6. Atlantis SquarePantis (A)
7. Spy Buddies (A)
8. Sing a Song of Patrick (A)
9. Friend or Foe (A)
10. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
11. Money Talks (B)
12. Goo Goo Gas (B)
13. Picture Day (B)
14. The Krusty Sponge (B)
15. Boat Smarts (B)
16. Night Light (C)
17. Rise and Shine (C)
18. The Donut of Shame (C)
19. Slimy Dancing (C)
20. Le Big Switch (C)
21. Pat No Pay (C)
22. Fungus Among Us (D)
23. The Original Fry Cook (D)
24. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
25. A Flea in Her Dome (D)
26. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
27. Waiting (E)
28. To Love a Patty (F)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Similar to episodes such as Grandma's Secret Recipe and I Was a Teenage Gary, most of this episode is just nothing. However, it does have a neat climax and it at least has some effort put into it unlike those two so this one isn't as bad.

Bad Episode (2.5/10)

coft

happy hopping moron
I love how the episode end with everyone in tears.

It’s how I felt.

1/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
So so so so SO boring. I swear the only interesting thing in this entire episode was the climax, and it only lasted like 5 minutes. Also, none of the songs are really good at all, apart from the first one, which I found to be decent at least. There was also almost no jokes, makes it even worse considering this episode is 45 minutes long. The Patchy segments were also really bizarre and felt so out of place from everything else. If there's one thing I can say positively about this episode, it's the visuals. Some of them were pretty creative and it made the episode interesting to look at at least. Other than that, though, this episode is a slog. It may not be as bad as Spongebob You're Fired, but it's still not any fun to watch.

Bad episode (3/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (8)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
5. The Krusty Plate (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. The Krusty Sponge (7)
9. Goo Goo Gas (7)
10. New Digs (7)
11. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
12. Money Talks (6)
13. The Donut of Shame (6)
14. Night Light (5)
15. Boat Smarts (5)
16. Rise and Shine (5)
17. Slimy Dancing (5)
18. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
19. The Original Fry Cook (5)
20. Le Big Switch (5)
21. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
22. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
23. To Love A Patty (3)
24. Waiting (3)
25. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
26. Fungus Among Us (2)

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
4.5!? IT IS AMAZING GREAT SONGS ITS FILLER DOESN'T FEEL LIKE FILLER AND LOVELY PATCHY SEGMENTS!

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
So so so so SO boring. I swear the only interesting thing in this entire episode was the climax, and it only lasted like 5 minutes. Also, none of the songs are really good at all, apart from the first one, which I found to be decent at least. There was also almost no jokes, makes it even worse considering this episode is 45 minutes long. The Patchy segments were also really bizarre and felt so out of place from everything else. If there's one thing I can say positively about this episode, it's the visuals. Some of them were pretty creative and it made the episode interesting to look at at least. Other than that, though, this episode is a slog. It may not be as bad as Spongebob You're Fired, but it's still not any fun to watch.

Bad episode (3/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (8)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
5. The Krusty Plate (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. The Krusty Sponge (7)
9. Goo Goo Gas (7)
10. New Digs (7)
11. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
12. Money Talks (6)
13. The Donut of Shame (6)
14. Night Light (5)
15. Boat Smarts (5)
16. Rise and Shine (5)
17. Slimy Dancing (5)
18. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
19. The Original Fry Cook (5)
20. Le Big Switch (5)
21. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
22. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
23. To Love A Patty (3)
24. Waiting (3)
25. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
26. Fungus Among Us (2)
I hate how it has no jokes too.

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
I LOVE IT WHY DOES IT HAVE A 4.5 ON HERE WHY I LOVE THE SINGING THE ABURDITY WORKS ITS FILLER DOESN'T FEEL LIKE FILLER ESPECIALLY THE SONGS AND THE PATCHY SEGMENTS WERE GREAT!

This deserved to be the 100th episode in airing order. Nice job, Stephen.

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
This episode isn't that bad. The new character designs are lazy and the songs and animation suck, however I can find ironic enjoyment in this episode. It is boring but it's not the most boring, and I can at least enjoy it from a "so bad that it's good" standpoint. Also, Patchy is kind of funny in this episode. I love the parts where he screams at Paul Tibbitt for no reason, and I actually like the Back in Encino song. Now is the Patchy stuff good? No, not really, and it's far from his best appearance, but I wouldn't call it bad/the worst thing ever.

Without Patchy, it's a long slog which only brings slight ironic enjoyment. However, with Patchy it's not the worst. I give it a 3/10, because it wasn't too frustrating and had some alright moments.

Season 5 Specials RANKED:
1. Friend or Foe (7/10)
2. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob? (5/10)
3. Pest of the West (4/10)
4. Atlantis SquarePantis (3/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This is an unpopular opinion but i actually thought this episode was good. Another unpop is that i actually liked every song. This one wasnt boring. But the actual SpongeBob episode ending could have been better.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Goo Goo Gas (Amazing!)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
Atlantis SquarePantis (Great)
Sing a Song of Patrick (Great)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
The Donut of Shame (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
The Krusty Plate (Great)
Le Big Switch (Great)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
A Flea in her Dome (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
There was no reason for this to have been made into a special. The biggest problem that I have with it is that almost all of it is pointless and adds nothing to the overall plot. Spongebob's bubble song moves at a snail's pace and doesn't give off the best first impression, and the majority of the other songs just sound bad, with no charm and very little effort, clearly trying to make the episode feel longer than it should've been. The only song that was halfway-decent was Plankton's song, because the lyrics were at least given a little more thought than the others. Speaking of Plankton, he's another problem of the special. He's just randomly shoehorned into the adventure, with a lame reason. Even a couple of his good lines can't save him from criticism.
The majority of the jokes told in here do not work, either because the characters explain them right after they are told (which takes away any merit they actually could've had), or they are just the lowest-hanging fruits of comedy. Patrick not knowing what he likes is a prime example, because the writers knew he was dumb, and just decided to throw him in the "going to atlantis" song with the most cookie-cutter lines I've ever heard him say.
The only elements of the TV-movie that I enjoyed were some of the jokes, such as Plankton saying it's no wonder the Atlanteans got lost by leaving their equipment unguarded, as well as the very brief action sequence that happens towards the end, but nowhere near enough to improve a horrible episode.

The Patchy segments were honestly fine for the most part. I did enjoy Patchy getting stuck in traffic, and yelling at the guy behind him, who was played by Paul Tibbitt, who ran the show back then. The main problem I have with the segments are how disconnected they feel. It cut from Patchy discovering that his homeland has shrunk, to him struggling to survive in a desert, to aliens coming and unshrinking his land back. There's a clear lack of focus in these segments, thus making them hard to follow at some points.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well, well, well, "Atlantis SquarePantis"...when I saw that this was the episode I was slated to review today…my oh my. Here we go. Today we’ve got yet another infamous episode (though I think opinions have improved over the years?). Whatever the case, I’ve always found myself having an unpopular opinion about Atlantis SquarePantis—I like it. Always have (I was just blinded by popular opinion for a while). And maybe it’s the nostalgia talking, because I do have a lot of nostalgia for this episode. I remember there was this one game on nick.com I’d always play, and my favorite SpongeBob computer game of all time (may it rest in peace, I can never play it again), Atlantis SquareOff, is clearly based on this episode. Also, a Minecraft map (a different one from the one I talked about in my “SB-129” YouTube review) I used to play had an Atlantis map too! So I’ve got lots of nostalgia. But even then I still like this episode without factoring in the nostalgia, and I’m excited to talk about this show’s very first TV movie! Now, to figure out how I’m gonna structure my review lmao.

Let’s begin by talking about the Patchy segments, since I like to give them their own paragraph or two before talking about the SpongeBob plot. Well firstly, I must say I always always always love the horribly yet hilariously low-budget production of the Patchy segments. The so very obviously green-screened scene of him stuck in traffic is amazing. I’ve been thinking about this lately, but like the only reason I can stand to be in traffic when it happens is my own music, so I can completely understand Patchy’s reaction here. Especially when he reveals he’ll be missing the new SpongeBob SquarePants episode. Patchy is literally just a riot because I’m always cracking up during his segments. It really helps that they only happen a few times a season at most. The whole part where he yells at the flabbergasted guy behind him (played by Paul Tibbitt, fun fact), is great. The way Patchy always ties his horrible tragedy of a life to a SpongeBob episode is so me-core (as I’ve said before). Patchy being stranded in the desert is hilarious, especially once he starts hallucinating. It’s all just so bizarre I love it. And once again Patchy is so me because I hate mayo too. And then the aliens show up and things continue to be bizarre, and I love it.

Now, let’s get to talking about the real star of the show, the SpongeBob plot! So apparently this was originally going to be an 11-minute episode, but I’m glad it got bumped to TV movie status, because that extra air of gravity really belongs with this episode, I’d say. The whole triumphant music of the title card gets us right into that mood. This beginning part of the episode is alright, with SpongeBob blowing bubbles and Patrick trying to capture them on camera. It gives a good set up to what we’ll be seeing later at least. It also gives us our first song, which is definitely my least favorite out of all of them so at least that means we’re only going up from here! I’ve definitely heard this song…many times, because of that dang greatest hits album I had as a child. It’s not a bad song at all, I even like it a bit, but the other songs are even better. BUT, I will say that the visuals are really fun and improve things immensely vs. just hearing the song. And Tom Kenny and Bill Fagerbakke are pretty good here in terms of their singing ability, so that’s always nice to see. Another thing I like to see is the plot getting moving real quick when the first segment is beginning to slow, and this episode understands that it needs to do that, so when SpongeBob and Patrick get trapped in the bubble, they float on over to the lost fragment of the medallion real quick. When Patrick says “squarepantis”, I get reminded that even though it’s simple, I kinda really like the title to the episode lol. It just flows off the tongue, what can I say? Also I think it’s funny that they read “antis” as “Ant-isss”, because I feel like nowadays “Antis” has a different meaning, one that I hate btw because proshippers are nasty okay moving on.

As we move over to the museum, we see the introduction of our other characters of this episode, as because it is a special, this episode involves all 5 of our big 5, plus Plankton. Honestly I love when Mr. Krabs does something so, so illegal just to get money, I always think it’s pretty amusing, and this whole ticket booth scheme doesn’t disappoint. I also really like how each characters introduction kind of shows what their main goal in Atlantis is gonna be. Mr. Krabs is money, as always. As for Squidward, he’s interested in art (I can’t believe he’s allowed to paint in the museum lol). I also like that we get an answer to what SpongeBob and Patrick found pretty quickly. I also really like that Squidward is kind of an expert in what people know about Atlantis, it’s nice to see him have knowledge about something and take that place of importance in an episode. And then we get our last character, Sandy, who comes basically out of nowhere but that’s fine, and she’s here for science! Another thing I’m excited for with seeing our big 5 together is some character interactions. And while I don’t really get them, I do get Sandy saying Squidward’s name so that’s basically the same thing lol.

Moving on, a bus appears basically out of thin air, and the interior looks…so weird. It’s just odd to look at in this show. Probably because it’s 3D. Also I think it’s funny that everyone pushed the bus to the gas station only to find out that they need to sing to fuel the vehicle lol. And then we really get the musical aspect of this episode rolling, as we move into our next song, which I thought was cute. I also am always reminded of Fred’s jellyfish jelly song from “Jellyfish Hunter” when hearing this song (which is apparently called “Fueling the Bus”). I also think it’s funny that this is the first time we see Plankton all episode and he really just appears out of nowhere. Lots of sudden appearances in this episode. I also like that everyone brought their own spin to the song.

And then we finally reach Atlantis, which looks gorgeous (but I would never want to live in that architecture). The whole part with the king was a bit amusing not gonna lie. David Bowie did a good job voicing the king. And if anyone ever wondered why LRH never got a song, it’s because the casting happened too late into the production process to give him one. I also think it’s funny that the king is super hospitable to a bunch of strangers who want to take advantage of Atlantean resources, but whatevs. It’s nice to see everyone getting along anyway, even when Mr. Krabs is unbelievably rude. The king even just lets Mr. Krabs take the money, that’s heaven for him. And it also moves us into our next song, which I really liked. I love how they always give Mr. Krabs’ songs a kind of sea shanty vibe. It’s a nice character touch, just like how they country-fy Sandy’s songs. And this song also has some fun visuals (all of them do, let’s be honest). As for Sandy’s heaven on earth (or underwater), I love love love the whole gaming aspect of hers, with everyone getting pixelated and fighting germs. Sandy’s song is really good too, and also that whole scene is pretty funny. Speaking of songs, Plankton’s is also really good. As you can see I like all the songs in this episode lol, they’re just good what can I say? Plankton’s weapon fixation is…new, but I like it well enough. Let me just round off this segment by talking about Squidward’s part too. I love how LRH just throws Squidward into the painting lmao. And then after that, Squidward’s song is also really good, and full of some fun visuals as he goes from painting to painting.

Moving on, SpongeBob and Patrick finally get the spotlight back on them as they finally get to see the bubble they’ve been coveting. I like the lowkey reveal that the Atlanteans are aliens too lol, and that art was really cool. I just wish they didn’t say colonize, like major eyeroll. Now of course, things end in disaster for ol’ SpongeBob and Patrick, and it’s pretty amusing. But it gets absolutely hilarious when they take a picture and end up popping it, because their panicked smiles, followed by their reactions are amazing. Definitely the funniest moment in the episode for sure. Also when Sandy shows off her invention, a super rare but very good track, Happy Bells, plays. This track has only played twice, and I need it to play more! Anyway, I love the tension when SpongeBob and Patrick enter the room, their faces are just great and so expressive. And we get a Gary surprise appearance so you know I have to point that out. Now, this king is really stupid because why would you show off the real bubble…anyway, the ensuing action sequence is fun, poor Sandy gotta do everything around here smh. And then of course Plankton gotta show up and ruin everything by covering everyone in…ice cream. This episode continues a trend of things ending kind of abruptly and anticlimactically with Plankton becoming the new treasure of Atlantis.

And then of course, we can’t escape without one more song, which again, is really great. SpongeBob’s enthusiasm about returning home is just so cute and wholesome. And I love how he’s the only one who’s happy. The background of Bikini Bottom is also really nice-looking too, and a great shot to end our episode, along with the fading vocals.

So yeah, I like "Atlantis SquarePantis", and I stand by that opinion. Out of all the "infamous" specials in the show, I think this is one of the best. I won't say the best, since I haven't gone through all of them yet, but it's up there for sure. It's better than "Party Pooper Pants" and "The Sponge Who Could Fly" already. This episode has its high and low points, of course, but it's pretty enjoyable throughout. The pacing was probably the biggest issue, since the climax resolved pretty anticlimactically, and with absolutely no real time taken for it, but hey, what can you do? Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna shelter in place from the pitchforks and torches.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.5/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Well, well, well, "Atlantis SquarePantis"...when I saw that this was the episode I was slated to review today…my oh my. Here we go. Today we’ve got yet another infamous episode (though I think opinions have improved over the years?). Whatever the case, I’ve always found myself having an unpopular opinion about Atlantis SquarePantis—I like it. Always have (I was just blinded by popular opinion for a while). And maybe it’s the nostalgia talking, because I do have a lot of nostalgia for this episode. I remember there was this one game on nick.com I’d always play, and my favorite SpongeBob computer game of all time (may it rest in peace, I can never play it again), Atlantis SquareOff, is clearly based on this episode. Also, a Minecraft map (a different one from the one I talked about in my “SB-129” YouTube review) I used to play had an Atlantis map too! So I’ve got lots of nostalgia. But even then I still like this episode without factoring in the nostalgia, and I’m excited to talk about this show’s very first TV movie! Now, to figure out how I’m gonna structure my review lmao.

Let’s begin by talking about the Patchy segments, since I like to give them their own paragraph or two before talking about the SpongeBob plot. Well firstly, I must say I always always always love the horribly yet hilariously low-budget production of the Patchy segments. The so very obviously green-screened scene of him stuck in traffic is amazing. I’ve been thinking about this lately, but like the only reason I can stand to be in traffic when it happens is my own music, so I can completely understand Patchy’s reaction here. Especially when he reveals he’ll be missing the new SpongeBob SquarePants episode. Patchy is literally just a riot because I’m always cracking up during his segments. It really helps that they only happen a few times a season at most. The whole part where he yells at the flabbergasted guy behind him (played by Paul Tibbitt, fun fact), is great. The way Patchy always ties his horrible tragedy of a life to a SpongeBob episode is so me-core (as I’ve said before). Patchy being stranded in the desert is hilarious, especially once he starts hallucinating. It’s all just so bizarre I love it. And once again Patchy is so me because I hate mayo too. And then the aliens show up and things continue to be bizarre, and I love it.

Now, let’s get to talking about the real star of the show, the SpongeBob plot! So apparently this was originally going to be an 11-minute episode, but I’m glad it got bumped to TV movie status, because that extra air of gravity really belongs with this episode, I’d say. The whole triumphant music of the title card gets us right into that mood. This beginning part of the episode is alright, with SpongeBob blowing bubbles and Patrick trying to capture them on camera. It gives a good set up to what we’ll be seeing later at least. It also gives us our first song, which is definitely my least favorite out of all of them so at least that means we’re only going up from here! I’ve definitely heard this song…many times, because of that dang greatest hits album I had as a child. It’s not a bad song at all, I even like it a bit, but the other songs are even better. BUT, I will say that the visuals are really fun and improve things immensely vs. just hearing the song. And Tom Kenny and Bill Fagerbakke are pretty good here in terms of their singing ability, so that’s always nice to see. Another thing I like to see is the plot getting moving real quick when the first segment is beginning to slow, and this episode understands that it needs to do that, so when SpongeBob and Patrick get trapped in the bubble, they float on over to the lost fragment of the medallion real quick. When Patrick says “squarepantis”, I get reminded that even though it’s simple, I kinda really like the title to the episode lol. It just flows off the tongue, what can I say? Also I think it’s funny that they read “antis” as “Ant-isss”, because I feel like nowadays “Antis” has a different meaning, one that I hate btw because proshippers are nasty okay moving on.

As we move over to the museum, we see the introduction of our other characters of this episode, as because it is a special, this episode involves all 5 of our big 5, plus Plankton. Honestly I love when Mr. Krabs does something so, so illegal just to get money, I always think it’s pretty amusing, and this whole ticket booth scheme doesn’t disappoint. I also really like how each characters introduction kind of shows what their main goal in Atlantis is gonna be. Mr. Krabs is money, as always. As for Squidward, he’s interested in art (I can’t believe he’s allowed to paint in the museum lol). I also like that we get an answer to what SpongeBob and Patrick found pretty quickly. I also really like that Squidward is kind of an expert in what people know about Atlantis, it’s nice to see him have knowledge about something and take that place of importance in an episode. And then we get our last character, Sandy, who comes basically out of nowhere but that’s fine, and she’s here for science! Another thing I’m excited for with seeing our big 5 together is some character interactions. And while I don’t really get them, I do get Sandy saying Squidward’s name so that’s basically the same thing lol.

Moving on, a bus appears basically out of thin air, and the interior looks…so weird. It’s just odd to look at in this show. Probably because it’s 3D. Also I think it’s funny that everyone pushed the bus to the gas station only to find out that they need to sing to fuel the vehicle lol. And then we really get the musical aspect of this episode rolling, as we move into our next song, which I thought was cute. I also am always reminded of Fred’s jellyfish jelly song from “Jellyfish Hunter” when hearing this song (which is apparently called “Fueling the Bus”). I also think it’s funny that this is the first time we see Plankton all episode and he really just appears out of nowhere. Lots of sudden appearances in this episode. I also like that everyone brought their own spin to the song.

And then we finally reach Atlantis, which looks gorgeous (but I would never want to live in that architecture). The whole part with the king was a bit amusing not gonna lie. David Bowie did a good job voicing the king. And if anyone ever wondered why LRH never got a song, it’s because the casting happened too late into the production process to give him one. I also think it’s funny that the king is super hospitable to a bunch of strangers who want to take advantage of Atlantean resources, but whatevs. It’s nice to see everyone getting along anyway, even when Mr. Krabs is unbelievably rude. The king even just lets Mr. Krabs take the money, that’s heaven for him. And it also moves us into our next song, which I really liked. I love how they always give Mr. Krabs’ songs a kind of sea shanty vibe. It’s a nice character touch, just like how they country-fy Sandy’s songs. And this song also has some fun visuals (all of them do, let’s be honest). As for Sandy’s heaven on earth (or underwater), I love love love the whole gaming aspect of hers, with everyone getting pixelated and fighting germs. Sandy’s song is really good too, and also that whole scene is pretty funny. Speaking of songs, Plankton’s is also really good. As you can see I like all the songs in this episode lol, they’re just good what can I say? Plankton’s weapon fixation is…new, but I like it well enough. Let me just round off this segment by talking about Squidward’s part too. I love how LRH just throws Squidward into the painting lmao. And then after that, Squidward’s song is also really good, and full of some fun visuals as he goes from painting to painting.

Moving on, SpongeBob and Patrick finally get the spotlight back on them as they finally get to see the bubble they’ve been coveting. I like the lowkey reveal that the Atlanteans are aliens too lol, and that art was really cool. I just wish they didn’t say colonize, like major eyeroll. Now of course, things end in disaster for ol’ SpongeBob and Patrick, and it’s pretty amusing. But it gets absolutely hilarious when they take a picture and end up popping it, because their panicked smiles, followed by their reactions are amazing. Definitely the funniest moment in the episode for sure. Also when Sandy shows off her invention, a super rare but very good track, Happy Bells, plays. This track has only played twice, and I need it to play more! Anyway, I love the tension when SpongeBob and Patrick enter the room, their faces are just great and so expressive. And we get a Gary surprise appearance so you know I have to point that out. Now, this king is really stupid because why would you show off the real bubble…anyway, the ensuing action sequence is fun, poor Sandy gotta do everything around here smh. And then of course Plankton gotta show up and ruin everything by covering everyone in…ice cream. This episode continues a trend of things ending kind of abruptly and anticlimactically with Plankton becoming the new treasure of Atlantis.

And then of course, we can’t escape without one more song, which again, is really great. SpongeBob’s enthusiasm about returning home is just so cute and wholesome. And I love how he’s the only one who’s happy. The background of Bikini Bottom is also really nice-looking too, and a great shot to end our episode, along with the fading vocals.

So yeah, I like "Atlantis SquarePantis", and I stand by that opinion. Out of all the "infamous" specials in the show, I think this is one of the best. I won't say the best, since I haven't gone through all of them yet, but it's up there for sure. It's better than "Party Pooper Pants" and "The Sponge Who Could Fly" already. This episode has its high and low points, of course, but it's pretty enjoyable throughout. The pacing was probably the biggest issue, since the climax resolved pretty anticlimactically, and with absolutely no real time taken for it, but hey, what can you do? Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna shelter in place from the pitchforks and torches.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score: 7.5/10
i remember being super hyped for this episode

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
atleast a pal for Gary had spongebob saying enchiladas in a funny way awful just awful episode after seeing all the advertising and games and everything about it awful episode my 2nd least favorite episode of the show atleast its not choir boys the songs are all either awful or mediocre the bubble song has nice instrumentals but thats it thats all I can say on this dumpster fire please I don't want to watch these awful season 5 episodes

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
Overhated episode in my opinion. Sure it could have been better, but it's not THAT bad. It did make me mad that David Bowie never had a singing part in a musical episode, that was wasted potential, that in itself could have made the episode better. I don't really understand why people rank it so low, there are plenty worse episodes in the same season like Waiting and To Love a Patty.

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
sure while the episode is a lot hated its hated for a reason it had so much hype it got a videogame it got a ENTIRE MARATHON like the best day ever and it was hyped like it was this big adventure where there would be a big climax with songs and david bowie its just 30 minutes of nothing the song's arent that memorable its stupid it has filler like plankton who comes out of NOWHERE because plot needs to happend and the climax was dull the patchy segment's are boring and unmemorable except for the realistic spongebob part its worse than to love a patty,waiting and fungus amongus
Overhated episode in my opinion. Sure it could have been better, but it's not THAT bad. It did make me mad that David Bowie never had a singing part in a musical episode, that was wasted potential, that in itself could have made the episode better. I don't really understand why people rank it so low, there are plenty worse episodes in the same season like Waiting and To Love a Patty.

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
sure while the episode is a lot hated its hated for a reason it had so much hype it got a videogame it got a ENTIRE MARATHON like the best day ever and it was hyped like it was this big adventure where there would be a big climax with songs and david bowie its just 30 minutes of nothing the song's arent that memorable its stupid it has filler like plankton who comes out of NOWHERE because plot needs to happend and the climax was dull the patchy segment's are boring and unmemorable except for the realistic spongebob part its worse than to love a patty,waiting and fungus amongus
I see your opinion, I disagree, but I see where you're coming from. Again, everything I stated is also just an opinion. Sure, Nickelodeon may have overhyped it but I think it gets too much hate from the community in specific. Sure, parts may have been boring or tasteless and the jokes may have been stale, but I can at least stand watching this episode, unlike Waiting, which frustrated me so much. So it's a filler episode, sure. Did it deserve to be a special episode? No. Did it deserve its own game? No. Did it deserve its own marathon? No. But it's tolerable in my opinion. Sure, it's boring, but it doesn't come to mind as an abysmal episode everyone makes it out to be.

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
I see your opinion, I disagree, but I see where you're coming from. Again, everything I stated is also just an opinion. Sure, Nickelodeon may have overhyped it but I think it gets too much hate from the community in specific. Sure, parts may have been boring or tasteless and the jokes may have been stale, but I can at least stand watching this episode, unlike Waiting, which frustrated me so much. So it's a filler episode, sure. Did it deserve to be a special episode? No. Did it deserve its own game? No. Did it deserve its own marathon? No. But it's tolerable in my opinion. Sure, it's boring, but it doesn't come to mind as an abysmal episode everyone makes it out to be.
honestly it was going to be a 11 minute episode but they didn't and went for this boring episode for like 1 hour its not tolerable if i could have chosen 1 episode to be the tv movie if they went for this it should have been whobob whatpants/whatever happened to spongebob since that would have made for a better tv movie that truth or square or atlantis squarepantis also the more i watch it the weirder waiting becomes

Back