07a. Hall Monitor

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
I have a hard time watching this episode and you know why. If I had only known there was more to Cyborg than Teen Titans Go back then, I could've been watching this episode fine. But noooo. Instead I made that thread while crushing on fishin' Bass from Mega Man; and that's saying something when you like a humanization of Shadow from Sonic Boom and he led you to see how hot Cyborg was.

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
Also I'm so glad you never mentioned me at all in this thread. Imagine if I had posted in this thread...

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I used to think this episode was a lot better before I re-watched it. That being said, it's still a pretty good episode. I really like the plot, and while there isn't much comedy, the jokes and gags this episode tell are really good and also really memorable. The best part of this episode by far though is the part where Spongebob is running away from the "maniac". That part is just gold and one of my favorite parts in the whole show. Not much else to say here, just a really solid and enjoyable episode.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Pizza Delivery (10)
2. Plankton! (9)
3. Naughty Nautical Neighbors (9)
4. Help Wanted (9)
5. Pickles (8)
6. Hall Monitor (8)
7. Ripped Pants (8)
8. Tea at the Treedome (7)
9. Home Sweet Pineapple (7)
10. Boating School (7)
11. Bubblestand (7)
12. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy (7)
13. Reef Blower (6)
14. Jellyfishing (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
4/10

Patrick was pretty funny, but that's about it. SpongeBob was an absolute dumb-butt. The police were absolutely delusional. Mrs, Puff was okay at best. I would give this an easy 2/10 without Patrick. The only thing I really even like about this other than Patrick was the beginning. Other than that, this is a pretty bland and infuriating episode.

Naughty Nautical Neighbors: (10/10)
Ripped Pants: (10/10)
Tea at the TreeDome: (10/10)
Help Wanted: (9.5/10)
Pizza Delivery: (9/10)
Plankton!: (9/10)
Boating School: (8.5/10)
Bubblestand: (8.5/10)
Reef Blower: (7.5/10)
Pickles: (7/10)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy I: (6.5/10)
Home Sweet Pineapple: (6.5/10)
Hall Monitor: (4/10)
Jellyfishing: (1.5/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
If Patrick didnt save this episode it would have been bad. This episode barely has humor and the jokes were just just just downright flat.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Pizza Delivery (Amazing!)
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Pickles (Amazing!)
Plankton! (Amazing!)
Naughty Nautical Neighbors (Amazing!)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
MMABB (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Boating School (Okay)
Hall Monitor (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)
Home Sweet Pineapple (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
"Hall Monitor" is one of those episodes that I've seen exalted like a classic, but talked about so infrequently (other than a meme or two) that I have to wonder what the audience consensus actually is. Looking through this thread, I see a lot of "goods" and upper-middle reviews (like 7 or 8/10). So it seems to me that this episode is just stuck in a sort of ambivalence, where some people think it's one of the all-time greats, others find it mid, and still others find it to be a good, solid episode. Personally, I find myself identifying most closely with the last group. So let's talk about it.

I think something that puts people off about this episode is that it's a boating school episode that really doesn't have all that much to do with boating school. And especially so early into that setting, it's a bit jarring to not see much of Mrs. Puff or the location. On the other hand though, this works nicely with the plot of this episode, with SpongeBob causing chaos throughout Bikini Bottom, so I'm going to let this slide. It doesn't really bother me all that much anyway.

This episode is funny. The beginning of the episode is hilarious to me. The ending (or second-to-last scene, I guess) always cracks me up, even if it is the beginning of Mrs. Puff going to jail for increasingly unreasonable causes. I think where this episode really draws its ambivalence is the whole sequence with Patrick and the maniac. If you find it funny all the way through, this episode is amazing. If it drags at any point, well then the episode drops down a few tiers. Which group I fall into varies depending on the day, to be honest.

"Hall Monitor" is also a good exploration of SpongeBob's "geekiness". Watching the little square dude get geeked up about being the hall monitor is adorable. Once again, we also see Patrick being a supportive best friend, which is always a win in my books.

Because of everything I said above, such as my wavering in whether I find parts of this episode to be dragging, and how funny this episode is regardless, I'm situating it firmly in my "Great" tier. I just think it's a cute, funny episode, but I have to be in the right mood for it to really resonate with me, which means its rewatchability is not the greatest.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.5/10

SuperSponge1234

Dead Inspector
a
"Hall Monitor" is one of those episodes that I've seen exalted like a classic, but talked about so infrequently (other than a meme or two) that I have to wonder what the audience consensus actually is. Looking through this thread, I see a lot of "goods" and upper-middle reviews (like 7 or 8/10). So it seems to me that this episode is just stuck in a sort of ambivalence, where some people think it's one of the all-time greats, others find it mid, and still others find it to be a good, solid episode. Personally, I find myself identifying most closely with the last group. So let's talk about it.

I think something that puts people off about this episode is that it's a boating school episode that really doesn't have all that much to do with boating school. And especially so early into that setting, it's a bit jarring to not see much of Mrs. Puff or the location. On the other hand though, this works nicely with the plot of this episode, with SpongeBob causing chaos throughout Bikini Bottom, so I'm going to let this slide. It doesn't really bother me all that much anyway.

This episode is funny. The beginning of the episode is hilarious to me. The ending (or second-to-last scene, I guess) always cracks me up, even if it is the beginning of Mrs. Puff going to jail for increasingly unreasonable causes. I think where this episode really draws its ambivalence is the whole sequence with Patrick and the maniac. If you find it funny all the way through, this episode is amazing. If it drags at any point, well then the episode drops down a few tiers. Which group I fall into varies depending on the day, to be honest.

"Hall Monitor" is also a good exploration of SpongeBob's "geekiness". Watching the little square dude get geeked up about being the hall monitor is adorable. Once again, we also see Patrick being a supportive best friend, which is always a win in my books.

Because of everything I said above, such as my wavering in whether I find parts of this episode to be dragging, and how funny this episode is regardless, I'm situating it firmly in my "Great" tier. I just think it's a cute, funny episode, but I have to be in the right mood for it to really resonate with me, which means its rewatchability is not the greatest.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.5/10
are you trying to review season 1 as a whole

Back