02b. Ripped Pants

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I feel like this is the first true hit episode of the show. The episode teaches a good moral, and tells some good jokes along the way. It's not the best story ever written, but I believe Spongebob playing pranks on others is pretty hilarious to watch, not to mention the song at the end was absolutely beautiful.
"I need a tailor.. BECAUSE I RIPPED MY PANTS" has always been, and will remain to be, my favorite Spongebob line of the season.

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
a classic. the song is so good tho, i think it's a parody of an existing song tho

10/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Fresh off the heels of its sister episode, we've got the episode with SpongeBob's first (original) musical number! Like "Help Wanted" and especially "Bubblestand," this episode has stood the tests of time and is labeled as a classic. It's funny, thinking of how SpongeBob is a children's cartoon, because the show doesn't actually have many of these fable-like episodes with a moral at the end. At least, there aren't many that make it explicit like this episode does. Sure, children can learn that if they want to enjoy life, they should act more like a SpongeBob rather than a Squidward, but usually the show doesn't get explicitly moral about it. So in that way, "Ripped Pants" is a special case.

This is the first time we see SpongeBob doing something we as the audience might see as "bad". Now, of course, SpongeBob isn't malicious here (a line I personally think he should never cross), but he does make a mistake in this episode, a big one. And it's nice to see more depth to both his character and the show's storytelling. We care about SpongeBob learning from this mistake because we care about SpongeBob.

The episode is pretty funny throughout, and it gives us a good look into another part of the Bikini Bottom world—Goo Lagoon. We're also introduced to fan-favorite Larry the Lobster, as well as Sandy's weight-lifting hobby. This episode is also the first time background fish (other than the anchovies) have played a supporting role in the show. It's also the first time we see a secondary character too. So all of this expands the world of SpongeBob just a bit more.

The last thing I want to talk about in this episode is the song, which is excellent. It's an iconic moment for good reason. I don't think I'm speaking too broadly when I say that most people who've seen SpongeBob know at least a good chunk of the lyrics. And the song itself makes the episode's message very clear, speaking to good songwriting.

Fun fact, one of my first forays into meme culture as a kid came from this episode. Probably around a decade ago at this point, the lifeguard in this episode became a meme (completely with impact font top and bottom text). I just looked it up and yep, it's got a knowyourmeme page. I specifically remember one of the memes I had saved onto my computer was one of those "In Soviet Russia" ones. I also looked this up and I think this was it?

Personally, I find this episode to be the weakest of the first five. It's still a very funny and enjoyable episode, but it drags for me a little bit as I get tired of the ripped pants jokes a bit quicker than the Goo Lagoon goers do. So, this episode sits firmly in the "Great" category.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Fresh off the heels of its sister episode, we've got the episode with SpongeBob's first (original) musical number! Like "Help Wanted" and especially "Bubblestand," this episode has stood the tests of time and is labeled as a classic. It's funny, thinking of how SpongeBob is a children's cartoon, because the show doesn't actually have many of these fable-like episodes with a moral at the end. At least, there aren't many that make it explicit like this episode does. Sure, children can learn that if they want to enjoy life, they should act more like a SpongeBob rather than a Squidward, but usually the show doesn't get explicitly moral about it. So in that way, "Ripped Pants" is a special case.

This is the first time we see SpongeBob doing something we as the audience might see as "bad". Now, of course, SpongeBob isn't malicious here (a line I personally think he should never cross), but he does make a mistake in this episode, a big one. And it's nice to see more depth to both his character and the show's storytelling. We care about SpongeBob learning from this mistake because we care about SpongeBob.

The episode is pretty funny throughout, and it gives us a good look into another part of the Bikini Bottom world—Goo Lagoon. We're also introduced to fan-favorite Larry the Lobster, as well as Sandy's weight-lifting hobby. This episode is also the first time background fish (other than the anchovies) have played a supporting role in the show. It's also the first time we see a secondary character too. So all of this expands the world of SpongeBob just a bit more.

The last thing I want to talk about in this episode is the song, which is excellent. It's an iconic moment for good reason. I don't think I'm speaking too broadly when I say that most people who've seen SpongeBob know at least a good chunk of the lyrics. And the song itself makes the episode's message very clear, speaking to good songwriting.

Fun fact, one of my first forays into meme culture as a kid came from this episode. Probably around a decade ago at this point, the lifeguard in this episode became a meme (completely with impact font top and bottom text). I just looked it up and yep, it's got a knowyourmeme page. I specifically remember one of the memes I had saved onto my computer was one of those "In Soviet Russia" ones. I also looked this up and I think this was it?

Personally, I find this episode to be the weakest of the first five. It's still a very funny and enjoyable episode, but it drags for me a little bit as I get tired of the ripped pants jokes a bit quicker than the Goo Lagoon goers do. So, this episode sits firmly in the "Great" category.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8/10
i like how this episode shows an aspect of SpongeBob's character that you don't see much

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
This one is definitely a classic. It's funny and has a good story. The song is amazing too! Interesting that this episode seems to play with the idea that Spongebob is romantically interested in Sandy a bit more than other episodes do. It is said that it was originally the intention for Spongebob and Sandy to be a couple, but that was dropped. So in a couple of earlier episodes, there are traces of that, with this being the biggest example of all. This episode is very memorable too with the humorous ripped pants, and the nice song at the end. A true classic

Back