01a. Help Wanted

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Here we are, the episode that started it all. The episode that was the foundation of our favorite animated sponge. The episode that introduced one of the most successful Nick series ever. It has one of the most simple plot set-ups in the series (basically SpongeBob applying for a job for the Krusty Krab, doesn't get more elegant than that); nevertheless, it is charming enough for me to like it. While it doesn't have the most funny jokes in the series, it sets up my expectations for future episodes to come. It's not boring, it kept me watching it, and it left me wanting more. I love the wobbly and cute animation, and I like how this episodes gives a decent feel for each of the main characters. While the episode is a bit slow in some parts, it totally works as a pilot. I LOVE the song scene where SpongeBob makes Krabby Patties for the hungry crowd of anchovies in a creative way (playing Living in the Sunlight), and I love Krabs and Squidward riding out all the customers. Overall, if it was a regular episode, this would have gotten a lower score, but I understand why the show has yet to develop from here. Great way to start off the series.

9/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
The episode is classic. From the character designs to quotes ("I want my mommy, Mr. Squidward!"), to the Tiny Tim number (that's how I first heard of him, thinking that it was Tom Kenny singing it :unsure:), otherwise, it was great and memorable. 10/10.

WhosTheRealPinheadPatrick?

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I think that this episode is probably one of the best of the season, if not the entire show! It is definitely in my top ten of the season.

My Star Rating is 3.8 out of 5.

DigDugtrio

Floating Shopping List
This episode doesn't have many jokes, but the jokes it does have stand out. This is a great way to start a show.

4/5

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
A rather charming start for such an amazing cartoon. Good introduction to some of the key members of the cast, as well as a satisfying origin story in regards to SpongeBob's occupation. In terms of what it has to offer, the episode does pale in comparison to future episodes, but regardless, Help Wanted is very much one of the more endearing episodes.

8.8/10

WhosTheRealPinheadPatrick?

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Episode 1a: Help Wanted
Spongebob gets a job at the Krusty Krab.
Here's what I thought of the episode... I love the jokes that it pulls, and (for the first episode) the story is on point! This is what I call a very good pilot. I give it a {A} for amazing! As I said, this is an amazing start to an amazing show.

Patrick B!

Floating Shopping List
I may have an unpopular opinion, but I don't think this episode is funny, I can see some jokes in the episode, but I don't like any of them. The song is also very weak, because it's not sang by a character, and is mostly in the background. With that said, all the characters are in character, and I like how they introduce them. There's also some good actions, and Patrick's speech is very heartwarming
6/10 (Okay)

Ice Dripping

Part Computer or Something
I honestly really liked this episode, especially for it being the pilot. Even though there weren't as many jokes, it was entertaining with no filler and introduced the characters very well. 9/10

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I'm not trying to dig up my previous review of this episode, but I will definitely give a more detailed one. While it's the pilot of this episode, it has to be extremely simple, just like any other Season 1 episode, but this one had to be the simplest one, not becausd it's the pilot, but because it's about SpongeBob becoming the fry cook at the Krusty Krab, a job he always wanted. I came to the realization that Mr. Krabs and Squidward weren't as bad as I thought. I actually quite enjoyed them, but Squidward was the more reasonable guy here. His character was usually the same, but not always. Mr. Krabs was bleh in this episode, but it didn't really bother me or anything. Patrick seems different in this episode, compared to the later episode. His intelligence was slightly different in this season, compared to later seasons, but that's very interesting and strange to me at the same time, but I liked it. This episode also introduced Gary, where he only appeared for 2 seconds saying his only words "Meow! Meow! after SpongeBob was claiming to him that it's the big day for him. The episode doesn't really have to be funny or emotional, because NOT every episode of the show has to be funny or emotional, even if it's intentional. Why does every episode have to be funny or emotional? I don't need that. The plot and the execution is all for me. The episode wasn't intended for those stuff and it focused on simplicity, which I really really like. It can also be memorized by everyone, of course. It's a really great episode and a nice start to the series. I have no issues with it, but there are a lot better episodes to name than this one. Like a lot of them.

Rocky Lobster

Floating Shopping List
Great episode, you don't expect pilots to look identical to the final product, but this episode still contains the comedy that makes it feel like a SpongeBob cartoon. Sure, the animation isn't as developed, and the humor isn't fully formed, but pilots are a starting point for the series, it's dedicated for the people working on the show to think to themselves, what can we improve and what can we add? Overall great episode, especially for a pilot!

Squidy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The fast food restaurant that only sick people eat
Oh boy here we go reviewing every spongebob episode.WARNING SPOILERS
Help wanted
0a
Ok so let's start off with spongebob gets out of bed and feeds Gary then heads to the krusty krab he meets Squidward and mr krabs where he applys for a job.Then gets hired then mr krabs smells SOMTHING then a bunch of customers come and start to try to get mr krabs and Squidward.Then spongebob comes and saves the day with Kraby party's. Then meeting Patrick at the end.
Over all I'll give it a 9/10

SpongeBob gets a job at the Krusty Krab. They couldn't have chosen a better plot for the very first episode. A huge staple of the series, and would lead for many more episodes to come.

Airdate: May 1st, 1999.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah, the first episode of the entire show, and I still think it holds up as one of the greats of the series. It's basically the best introduction the show could give us. Like, how many things did it introduce? It introduced: SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, the relationship between SpongeBob/Patrick/Squidward, The Krusty Krab, Barg N Mart, and Krabby Patties! That's a lot for such a short episode, and it did it all with great execution in comedy, animation, and flowing storytelling. 9/10.

Back