Spongebob Squarepants Divided Into Eras

Fear Of A Nerdy Patty

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I don't like Atlantis SquarePantis, but more in the way it having lots of missed potential rather than sucking throughout. The Patchy segments are fine however, the ending is pretty funny. None of my least favorite episodes of season 5 are truly awful, that kind doesn't show up until The Splinter.

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
The pre movie era(seasons 1-3) - the best era. Amazing era
Post movie part 1 era(seasons 4-5) - very good era.
Post movie part 2 era(seasons 6-9) - meh era. A lot of good episodes, a lot of bad episodes.
Post sequal era(seasons 10-13) - bad era. I just don't like the stlyle of this era

Last edited:

RangoAnimations

Imitation Krab
Pre-movie era - Golden Age (1-3)
Post Movie era 1 - Great era (4-5)
Post Movie era 2 - Trash era (6-9a)
Post sequel era - Renaissance era (9b-12)
Post Hillenburg Era - Good era (12-13)

Neon2500

Floating Shopping List
For me the eras are:
Seasons 1-5: Classic Awesomeness
Seasons 6-8: Hit or miss “Dark era”
Season 9-10: Renewed era
Seasons 11-present: Second Dark Age

SuperJasonOfficial

Baby Clam
Golden Era: Seasons 1 - 3
This era is the best era! It has funny jokes, memorable scenes, and good episodes! I don't see any bad episodes from this era! This era is beloved by many old and new fans! One of the good episodes I would say are "Help Wanted", "Ripped Pants", "F.U.N", "Bubblestand", "Pizza Delivery", "Sailor Mouth", "Band Geeks", "The Camping Episode", "Krusty Krab Training Video", and "Chocolate with Nuts"! Wow, that's a lot of good episodes right there!

Silver Era: Seasons 4 - 5
Many crew members left the show after "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" because Stephen Hillenburg planned to end the series there. But, Nickelodeon order more episodes to be produced. This era may not be as good as the Golden Era, but this era still have the same things like before! Good episodes would be "Krusty Towers", "The Two Faces of Squidward", "Friend or Foe", and "Fear of a Krabby Patty"! The bad episodes were not really bad at all! I guess continuing SpongeBob isn't a bad idea after all!

Dark Era: Seasons 6 - 9
So far, this is where the decline of SpongeBob begin. It has many bad episodes, bad jokes, bad scenes, and the characters have somewhat changed. The series is now unwatchable in this era. I would say "It's a SpongeBob Christmas", "Plankton's Pet", and "Planet of The Jellyfish" as one of the only good episodes from this era!

Returning Era: Seasons 10 - present
Many crew members who left the show after the aforementioned SpongeBob movie have returned to work on the show! The episodes start to get better and better like the Golden Era! It has tons of good episodes too! I'm looking forward what SpongeBob would have in store!

I hope you like my opinion!

Last edited:

Yummylesecond

DOWNTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY
Golden Era - Seasons 1-3
These are what made SpongeBob tremendous and such an influential show
Underrated/forgotten Era Seasons 4-5
Not many people talk about these episodes but some consider most of them to be really great even classics
Dark Era - Seasons 6-9b
These seasons have some of the worst episodes and rarely a good episode appears
Divided Era - Seasons 9b-13
People hate or love these episodes there's no in between

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
Golden Era - Seasons 1-3
These are what made SpongeBob tremendous and such an influential show
Underrated/forgotten Era Seasons 4-5
Not many people talk about these episodes but some consider most of them to be really great even classics
Dark Era - Seasons 6-9b
These seasons have some of the worst episodes and rarely a good episode appears
Divided Era - Seasons 9b-13
People hate or love these episodes there's no in between
I agree with you

Kold Pizza

Part Computer or Something
Classical Era: Seasons 1-3 - Also known as the Golden Age of SpongeBob, the humor was fresh in this era, the characters were charming, and the episodes as well as the captivating stories they told were brilliant as well as inspiring. From this era, we got episodes like Pizza Delivery, F.U.N., Something Smells, Band Geeks, Idiot Box, Krusty Krab Training Video, Chocolate with Nuts, and so much more. This era’s best episodes are absolutely golden and timeless. To this day, they are still worth re-watching. Even this era’s weakest episodes had good and entertaining moments in them. This era was full of fun and made being a kid watching SpongeBob feel so cool.

Intermediate Era Part 1: Season 4 - This is the beginning of what’s been also referred to as the Post-Movie era. Season 4 was basically designed to be like a continuation of the first three seasons. It didn’t always succeed, but it still gave us some good laughs (like the Krusty Towers episode). At the time, it still felt like SpongeBob at least on some level, even if it wasn’t exactly the same as the previous seasons as it pertained to consistency of episode quality.

Intermediate Era Part 2: Season 5 - What made Season 5 different compared to Season 4 was that Season 5 attempted to be more experimental whereas Season 4 tried to be a continuation of the first three seasons. Season 5 added new characters and attempted to expand the SpongeBob world. At the time when it first aired, it was the season that felt the most different compared to the other seasons. It was a wild ride, the season had plenty of highs (like Roller Cowards) and plenty of lows (like To Love a Patty). Season 5 was also the last season that stuck with the 20 episodes per season format.

ScumBob Era: Seasons 6-7 - Also known as the Dark Age of SpongeBob. This era was when they went with the 26 episode per season format for the first time. Even though this era had some gems, this era was notorious for gross-out scenes, character derailing episodes, ratings trap specials, and dull moments as well as dull humor that seemed to drag on too long and were chores to get through (like the cough gag from Choir Boys). The best episodes of this era were usually mid at best and the worst episodes of this era earned their nicknames among fans as the “ScumBob” episodes.

Meh Era: Seasons 8-9A - This was another transitional era like Seasons 4-5, except a lot of episodes from this one tended to feel “meh” to me and many fans. This era was quite a mixed bag, you weren’t sure what you were going to get, it was either going to be a “meh” episode, something neat like “Plankton’s Pet” or something that feels like it belongs in the ScumBob era like “SpongeBob, You’re Fired” and the overall quality of this era was all over the place and rounds out to “meh.”

Renaissance Era: Seasons 9B-11 - Also known as the Post-Sequel era. The show started to feel fresh again and the characters felt like how they were in the old episodes again. Old writers from the Classical SpongeBob era came back to be involved in the productions again along with SpongeBob’s creator himself, Stephen Hillenburg. The show in this era felt charming and creative, and provided some laughs (like Mimic Madness), these are elements of what made us love SpongeBob in the first place.

Modern Era: Seasons 12-13 - This era has been hit or miss. It contains lots of over exaggerated facial expressions as well as plenty of weirdness (like SpongeBob in Randomland). This is the era that seems more self-aware than ever of many fans’ nostalgic love for old SpongeBob and has brought back characters from old SpongeBob episodes characters left and right. Sometimes, when they’re not bringing back characters from old SpongeBob episodes, they’re using a character design that hasn’t been seen in SpongeBob before or they’re attempting to make the episode as weird as possible. In this era, they have been as daring as ever when it comes to experimentation.

Last edited:

Sponge64

New Kelp City's Mayor
Seasons organized and named based off actual episode names:

Home Sweet Pineapple: S1-S3 - These are the seasons that started SpongeBob, and to some, these are the only seasons SpongeBob should've had. Seriously, there's no point talking about them. You could watch them for years on end and you'll never get bored. There's always that one scene that'll make you laugh, and heck, it's always a different one!

Imitation Krabs: S4-5(?) - How many Hillenburgs does it take to panic a Nickelodeon? Apparently one when he stepped down. How many Nickelodeons in 2005 does it take to continue where he stood? Surprisingly, maybe about 1.1 of them. Too bad there was only 1. These episodes came so far, and they're genuinely pretty good. There's some immediate classics. I'm always surprised to find Roller Cowards as a season 5 episode. For the most part, Nick did pretty good picking up where he left off, and imitated him well for a while.

Something Smells: S6-8 - Not because it stinks, but because it smells fishy. Not a fishy that reeks, but certainly salmon. These aren't bad to say, but they're bad. See my delima? This stinks. Actually, wait, it doesn't. Gah! See? Do you see? Okay, look, some great episodes, and then some... episodes. Later down the era, it just seems extremely transitional, and there's even a big design change about S8. I'd put S8 in its own era, but I personally enjoy most SpongeBob episodes, and I have about the same feelings for S8 as I do S6 or S7. This IS my list, after all.

Born Again Krabs: S9-11 - Something has changed. Well, apart from the wider view, everything looks different! It's all exaggerated! It feels like a gross out episode but without the gross, and I don't particularly have a fondness for it. It's unfortunate too, because the writing is actually really good most of the time! Some people came back to help with the show, and it took a turn for some greatness. I just wish, again, they didn't rubberhose the animation neck and bone. Also coming with the 2nd movie, it was for sure the rebirth of SpongeBob and it's popularity. Especially for this site, where it even got like 200 members online in 2016.

Missing Identity: S12-TBA - We last leave on the most modern of eras. Anything to write home about? Nah. The show refuses to give itself an identity for most of the time, as it gets really experimental. I'm sure the team has fun with it though. Rubberhose stuff is tuned up even more, and the writing can get crazy. They continuously try to bring back or reference old Spongebob characters and jokes. The show continues to get zanier and zanier the more it goes on.

Back