Sonic The Hedgehog

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
When it comes to Sonic Mania, the gameplay is basically a modified version of the Sega Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog video game engine, known as the Retro Engine, developed by Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead and originally made for his fan game, Retro Sonic.

Another thing that I like about it, is the music, which was composed by Tee Lopes. My favorite pieces of music from the game include Studiopolis Zone, Mirage Saloon Zone and Titanic Monarch Zone (the dial-up modem sample in that theme tune brings backs memories of hearing that sound while logging into dial-up internet, something I'm glad will never happen again, especially now that broadband is all the rage, and is a thousand times better).

My favorite zone in the game is Mirage Saloon Zone, which takes the form of a Wild West-themed pinball level which takes place in a desert modeled after the desert of the Southwestern United States, with the first act for Sonic and Tails being a Wild West-themed tribute to Sky Chase Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (with part of theme tune to Act 1 of Sonic and Tails' adventure plays a few notes from Sky Chase Zone), while Knuckles' version (and the Encore Mode's design) of that act is more subterranean in design, with Knuckles being knocked off of the Tornado bi-plane into the canyons below, where his gameplay begins.

Another thing I liked about Mirage Saloon zone, was that it was based on the design of two prototypical American-style Desert Southwest-themed zone design concepts: a scrapped Sonic the Hedgehog 2 zone, Dust Hill Zone (a.k.a. Sand Shower Zone) and a zone scrapped from the Sonic CD remake, Desert Dazzle, all of which had Saguaro cacti, canyons, mesas, and of course, lots of sand as far as the eyes can see!

Last edited:

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
When it comes to Sonic Mania, the gameplay is basically a modified version of the Sega Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog video game engine, known as the Retro Engine, developed by Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead and originally made for his fan game, Retro Sonic.

Another thing that I like about it, is the music, which was composed by Tee Lopes. My favorite pieces of music from the game include Studiopolis Zone, Mirage Saloon Zone and Titanic Monarch Zone (the dial-up modem sample in that theme tune brings backs memories of hearing that sound while logging into dial-up internet, something I'm glad will never happen again, especially now that broadband is all the rage, and is a thousand times better).

My favorite zone in the game is Mirage Saloon Zone, which takes the form of a Wild West-themed pinball level which takes place in a desert modeled after the desert of the Southwestern United States, with the first act for Sonic and Tails being a Wild West-themed tribute to Sky Chase Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (with part of theme tune to Act 1 of Sonic and Tails' adventure plays a few notes from Sky Chase Zone), while Knuckles' version (and the Encore Mode's design) of that act is more subterranean in design, with Knuckles being knocked off of the Tornado bi-plane into the canyons below, where his gameplay begins.

Another thing I liked about Mirage Saloon zone, was that it was based on the design of two prototypical American-style Desert Southwest-themed zone design concepts: a scrapped Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Dust Hill Zone (a.k.a. Sand Shower Zone) and a zone scrapped from the Sonic CD remake, Desert Dazzle, all of which had Saguaro cacti, canyons, mesas, and of course, lots of sand as far as the eyes can see!

you dare try to tell a sonic fan new information, i know all of these and more ''i am 10 parallel universes ahead of you''

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
you dare try to tell a sonic fan new information, i know all of these and more ''i am 10 parallel universes ahead of you''
With all due respect, I have to admit that it's a really fun game to play that pays homage to many of the Sonic games that came before it...to quote TV commercial for a fast food chain: "This is how you Sonic!"

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
With all due respect, I have to admit that it's a really fun game to play that pays homage to many of the Sonic games that came before it...to quote TV commercial for a fast food chain: "This is how you Sonic!"
if i could rank the 2d games it'll be:

sonic 2

sonic mania

sonic 1

sonic 3

sonic and knuckles

sonic cd

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
My rank of all the 2-D Sonic games I've played that were actually great, including the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic Trilogy
(unfortunately, I've never played Knuckles' Chaotix outside emulation on the Gens emulator, due to the poor sales of the 32X add-on.), my top 5 2-D Sonic titles have some form of connection:
  • Sonic Mania Plus
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles/Sonic 3 Complete romhack (I bought myself a Sega Genesis cartridge of this hack from a seller on AliExpress a few years ago, and I consider both games one and the same, with Complete being a modification of the original S3&K game with a slew of new features and a title screen menu that allows for gameplay customization)
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
My rank of all the 2-D Sonic games I've played that were actually great, including the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic Trilogy
(unfortunately, I've never played Knuckles' Chaotix outside emulation on the Gens emulator, due to the poor sales of the 32X add-on.), my top 5 2-D Sonic titles have some form of connection:
  • Sonic Mania Plus
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles/Sonic 3 Complete romhack (I bought myself a Sega Genesis cartridge of this hack from a seller on AliExpress a few years ago, and I consider both games one and the same, with Complete being a modification of the original S3&K game with a slew of new features and a title screen menu that allows for gameplay customization)
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
i actually dont like sonic 3 and knuckles, and i despise sonic cd

Back