Re-Evaluating my opinions on SpongeBob Season 1-8

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
QOTD: Now this doesn't have to be an episode that I dislike, I see episodes like A Pal For Gary or SB You're Fired making at least decent sense. An episode like SpongeHenge, doesn't make a lick of sense, and they don't do anything about it. It is really dumb, that's how I'd describe it in 1 word.

hippythehippo

Banished
I like Snail Mail, I found most of the jokes good. Not amazing, but certainly something I liked.
QOTD no

Pineapple Invasion is one of my favorites from the Season. Such a creative concept, and it really is hilarious. The beginning and the ending are especially great, and the fight between Gary and Plankton, no lie, is one of my favorite scenes in the whole show (though memes may have something to do with that).
QOTD maybe

Salsa Imbecilicus is really terrible, worst of 9b. The more I think about it, the worse it gets. Who thought it would be a good idea to make he townsfolk dumb in a really paththic and infintile way? Add that with Season 10-11 problems of slapstick being excessive and the overall loudness of it, it might be one of the worst in the series.
QOTD Main Drain is really pointless and stupid. Don't remember much else of the top of my head.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Mutiny on the Krusty (Season 9, Episode 26a)
Original Airdate: October 8 2016
Episode 388 in standard order, Episode 386 in airing order
Plot: A rip current causes chaos in the Krusty Krab, and everyone except SpongeBob loses their minds
Written by Kaz

[titlecard]204A[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Salty Squid Jig

What would you say is the best thing about Season 9b? For many, it’d be the characters being reworked into more likeable incarnations. It was refreshing to see the stories become more character-driven, and to see more unique stories coming out of their strengths and weaknesses. The reason this episode’s my least favourite of 9b, worse than Sanctuary! and Salsa Imbecilicus, is that it’s centred around making Mr Krabs and the others unlikeable. I’ll admit, Mr Krabs has had some bumps in the road already, so it’s no surprise he’s one of the most inconsistent characters of the Modern era, but centring an episode around the idea that he’s a jerk only feels right if he improves by the end. Spoiler alert, this episode doesn’t do that.

Stormy winds hit Bikini Bottom again (remember SpongeHenge? I sure don’t), but in a much more cartoony way. For one thing, it’s a rip current, since the show’s set underwater again, but that’s hard to fully admire when a live action cow’s stuck in the current. Whether it be despite or because of the trouble it causes, Mr Krabs is much grumpier today than normal, to an unpleasant degree. He cancels payday and forces everyone to spend all the money they bring in, no matter the literal cost. Disregarding the high likelihood some of them brought credit cards with them, this is just greedy and mean behaviour that doesn’t ease into the episode due to conflict. It’s just “okay, Mr Krabs is a massive jackalleck today”. I don’t like seeing that in real life with my friends, and I don’t like seeing it in a cartoon I have no control over.

Things don’t get any better when the Krusty Krab gets caught on a ship in the current, leaving the customers trapped in a shaky restaurant with three idiots for authority. The only one who values his life, SpongeBob, steers the ship to safety, and Squidward’s considered the new “captain” of the vessel. For some reason, the characters keep referring to whoever’s in charge as the captain. Whether it’s just insanity or the story trying to have more of a pirate vibe is up in the air. Even more confusing is the lack of reason for the Krustomers to side with Squidward, since SpongeBob was clearly the one who saved their skins. That’d require them to have common sense though, and you’re stuck with them for a majority of the episode.

Because they randomly elect Squidward as the new captain, they rebel against Mr Krabs until SpongeBob lists all the things he made, making them shift sides again. This could in theory make Mr Krabs more likeable, showing his good attributes, but all SpongeBob does is list the different kinds of Krabby Patties he seemingly invented. Anyway, the current gets worse, and Mr Krabs falls out, and Squidward gets attention for it for no reason again. This story is just so unnecessarily complicated and confusing, that I’ve seriously had to look up its ESB episode guide to understand what went on in what order. There doesn’t need to be 3-4 shifts in whose side the Krustomers are on, especially since it doesn’t matter and just serves to pad out the time we spend in the air.

Speaking of which, the Krusty Krab lands on a distant plane where a giant monster starts attacking. The Krustomers throw Squidward at it, and it predictably eats him. Mr Krabs comes back unscathed, and as second in command, doesn’t want to fight the monster. Would he seriously rather let everyone die than be helpful? SpongeBob pushes his loyalty to money to the absolute extreme just to get him shocked, by doing horrible things to his first dime, including trying to spend it. It scares Mr Krabs enough to end the episode on an interesting note, where he beats up the monster and saves the day. He still hasn’t learned anything and still isn’t a nice guy, but at least it’s cool to see him take down a beat. It doesn’t save the rest of the plot from being one of Season 9’s worst at large.

It should be no secret that most of the jokes rely on Mr Krabs being a meanie and the Krustomers being morons who can’t make up their minds, but there are others that work or fail in different ways. There are some weak gags scattered throughout the episode that go on for too long, or don’t have a punch, like SpongeBob preparing to face the monster by using mouthwash, and the reaction to Squidward getting eaten by the monster, “Well that was anticlimatic”. The fish makes the exact same observation again when Mr Krabs dives in later, as if they wanted the honest reaction to be resonant as a punchline. There are some pretty good jokes though, like Mr Krabs thinking his barometre’s busted because of his arthritis, and SpongeBob trying to spend Mr Krabs’ first dime at a vending machine. They’re funny, but not enough to make up for the terrible or subpar jokes.

In terms of animation, I can’t quite tell what they wanted the mood to be, due to the drastic change in settings in the beginning and end. It’s at first set in a rip current, then on some barren, exotic land. The designs of these locations aren’t that bad, but it really teases you with the latter, as it would’ve provided a more interesting story. Sure we already had a wilderness episode recently in the form of Food Con Castaways, but imagine the possibilities with this parituclar setting. I’m even more bummed by the monster here, because he just looks uninspired. Sure it can make the design more threatening, but adding as many eyes, limbs and layers of fat as possible doesn’t make it very memorable. Another mild thing I can nitpick is Mr Krabs’ first dime being rather small. Remember, he’s been in the business a long time.

The characterization here is all over the place. As I’ve already complained, Mr Krabs’ portrayal brings the episode down and makes it more cynical. From a presentation standpoint, it also has the same theme as Rule of Dumb, where a downer track plays to accentuate his meanness. The other characters don’t bring the episode up to snuff by any means. The Krustomers are all this hivemind that can’t make up their mind on which “captain” to prefer, and Squidward just feels like he’s thrown in, in the same way he was thrown into the monster’s mouth. At least SpongeBob’s fine here again, and there’s even some visible character development in him tying his shoe.

In conclusion, it should be pretty obvious why this is my least favourite Season 9b episode, and that’s because the plot doesn’t know what it wants to do. It has a backbone of pirate heirachy/cabin fever, but everything flip-flops to the point of nonsense. Mr Krabs and the Krustomers are unlikeable, and since they’re a source of the majority of the conflict, it feels like a plot that hinges on antagonism. Sure there are funny moments, and I can see how they were trying to make Mr Krabs more of an antihero at the climax, but this is an episode I wouldn’t want to rewatch at large.

Final Verdict: Bad 4/10 (not worth your time)
Yeti Krabs < Mutiny on the Krusty < Don’t Look Now!

Question of the Day: Who do you think was the character that changed the least after Sponge Out of Water?

Today’s episode was rather soft, but tomorrow’s has some bite to it. Until then, play me out, Leitmotif of a Krabby Krab.
:sbthumbs:

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
The Whole Tooth (Season 9, Episode 26b)
Original Airdate: December 3 2016
Episode 389 in standard order, Episode 390 in airing order
Plot: One of Patrick’s baby teeth starts aching, but he doesn’t want it pulled out
Written by Kyle McCulloch

[titlecard]204B[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Hawaiian Train

It seemed like Season 9 would never end by the time 2016 ticked over, but then we finally got the last couple titles for 9 and more information on 10. As it turned out, the season finale would be called “The Tooth, the Whole Tooth, and Nothing But the Tooth”, a big fat title that got the point across that it’d be about teeth. It was eventually shortened to just “The Whole Tooth”, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is the actual contents of the episode, and this turned out to be a pretty good one. When you think of Patrick and teeth, chances are his bulging bucktooth that appears every once in a while is what pops to mind. I’ll say that I thought this episode would be about getting rid of it, but I can’t imagine the current Patrick without that tooth in hindsight. Anyway, enough stalling, time for Season 9’s last episode!

The story opens with SpongeBob and Patrick at what appears to be a carnival of sorts. There are various confectionary tents set up around the area, and they’re having fun chewing on taffy and make shapes with it. It’s a pretty gross joke in practice, but just making it look like purple plastic lessens the squick factor. This causes problems for Patrick as he soon gets a toothache. He briefly tries to null the pain by covering himself in mouse traps, and this is one of the things I like about this episode- pain isn’t that big a deal. Sure that may seem wrong to say about comedy, but the idea of pain and it slightly affecting the characters is enough, it doesn’t need screaming and bruises. For example, the mousetraps covering Patrick, then SpongeBob, doesn’t sound pretty, but it just looks like they’re covered in very dangerous sticky notes, not something that’ll damage their skin.

SpongeBob wants to take Patrick to the dentist to see what’s wrong, but Patrick doesn’t want to go, as he’s too scared. Another reason I like Patrick here’s because he’s rather innocent. This ache’s befallen him, and the only way to get rid of it is to do something really scary, see the dentist. The waiting room alone creeps him out, and he bails on his appointment with Dr Beige Mundane. The ache is being caused by a baby tooth being pushed by an adult one, causing pain whenever Patrick bites. He falls into a horrible dilemma, either never enjoy food again, or have his teeth get poked at by sharp tools. Throughout this however, SpongeBob does everything he can to make Patrick comfortable, like a cheerful parent always making its child look at the positives in life. It’s rather touching seeing how good of a friend SpongeBob is here.

In a way to make Patrick feel more comfortable with his baby tooth, SpongeBob personifies it as an actual baby that’s crying to be let out. Although the crying gets a bit annoying, it pushes Patrick to further consider getting it removed, as it keeps him up all night. Other teeth are personified throughout the episode, mainly at the end, but Patrick’s baby tooth is the cutest and easily the best. SpongeBob then tells Patrick about the tooth ferry, and how it’ll take his tooth away to a magical island where it can be happy. Squidward overhears this and believes it all to be a tall tale, which upsets SpongeBob as he believes what he’s saying. As I’ve always said, it’s uncommon for SpongeBob to be miffed at Squidward, but this is a special case where Squidward’s just being ignorant, and only making Patrick’s time harder. I’m fine with the level of angry SpongeBob gets here; it’s something, but not over-the-top like Can You Spare a Dime?.

Patrick gets confused by Squidward having a different opinion over the tooth ferry’s existence and runs away. A bit too childish for me, but it’s not hurting anyone but himself. SpongeBob chases him down, but ends up taking some poor old woman’s worms for a dramatic “police guard” effect. It’s a cool visual, and the chase scene’s one of the coolest in years. Things soften up however when SpongeBob whips out a photo album of him and all his baby teeth, showing Patrick he can still keep the memory of them. I adore how they’re going with the Two Thumbs Down approach to parody and exaggeration, but I’m a bit confused over why SpongeBob’s showing Patrick the emotional side to letting go of teeth instead of the healthy side. It comes roaring back when the old woman shows how she’s kept her baby teeth, so there’s that.

The appointment’s over and done with in a matter of seconds, as all Dr Mundane has to do is extract it very lightly. With the anxiety-based A plot out of the way, the B plot’s then wrapped up. Patrick brings his tooth home, and SpongeBob tries to steal it in the night for the tooth ferry, only to be caught by Squidward. SpongeBob’s able to save his skin by proving to the three of them (including the baby tooth) that the tooth ferry exists and is departing that morning. Of course, Squidward’s dumbfounded because he thought SpongeBob was talking about the Tooth Fairy, due to how similar they sound. It’s a good pun with a good payoff.

What I’m confused by is, if SpongeBob wanted to prove the existence of the tooth ferry to his friends, why didn’t he just take them there instead of stealing Patrick’s tooth from under his pillow like a parent? There are kids departing with their own teeth, so it makes no sense. It’s fine however, because the whole tooth ferry departure scene is very heartwarming, and tugs at my heartstrings personally due to Hawaiian Train playing. It was the first piece of production music the show ever used, so it works for a nostalgic scene like this. Even the very ending joke where Squidward’s almost forced by SpongeBob and Patrick to eat chum isn’t that bad, as he doesn’t eat it, and his teeth fall out and try to swim for the tooth ferry. For such a simple episode idea (Patrick has a toothache), the story’s deep, engaging and whimsical in the right ways.

While this isn’t an exceptionally funny episode, it’s an exceptionally cute one, and those always manage to make me smile. The anthropomorphic teeth here are both a funny idea and an adorable one, and I can’t help but grin at the tooth island paradise SpongeBob talks about. The episode has its share of good jokes though, like the dentist radio playing the background music (which the crew knows by now the SpongeBob fanbase has a boner for), and Squidward calling his neighbours “molar morons”. I bet that’s what this episode would be called if it were made now. All in all, The Whole Tooth has some fun jokes, but its heart lies in the storytelling, and I’m glad they made it entertaining.

This season just loves Patrick’s mouth doesn’t it? It goes back to being cute again like What’s Eating Patrick?, instead of disgusting like Salsa Imbecilicus. Instead of taste buds, it’s teeth that are the focus here, and they’re designed to be precious. Can’t really complain about living teeth, they’re not hard to animate. As for the rest of the episode’s animation, it can rely a bit on gross-out, like with the old lady’s decimated yellow teeth, and the bucket of chum Squidward’s almost forced to eat, but it serves purposes- to show what Patrick’s mouth would look like without proper care, and to punish Squidward for not believing in SpongeBob. Oh yeah, and like I said, the “pain” in this episode isn’t that hard to sit through. I’m referring to the mouse traps at the start, and Patrick finally getting his tooth extracted. It’s relieving to say that this sort of imagery and subject matter can work on the show with the right timing and purpose.

I really like the dynamic between SpongeBob and Patrick here, with SpongeBob serving as a sort of parental figure. It works in context, and makes him seem like a really nice guy who wants his best friend to learn this fact of life he’ll have to put up with again. Patrick himself is particularly innocent here to match this. It’s much better than him being “the stupid one”, because although he has his moments of naïveté, he just seems to have a childlike worldview. Squidward’s also great here, trying to rain down harsh reality in a show where there clearly shouldn’t be any. His mean words against the idea of a tooth fairy could even help kids to understand the perspective of it not existing, and be a vital part of them growing out of it. As for other characters, there aren’t many who are notable. The baby tooth’s cute, the old woman’s certainly not, and Dr Mundane’s living up to his family’s namesake.

I don’t think I’m stretching much truth when I call this one of Season 9’s best episodes, and a strong way of going out. Not only is it funny, cute and well-animated, but it’s a helpful episode for kids. It deals with the fear of dentists, and any sort of doctor to an extent, and presents it as the best and safest option for injuries. This sort of story could be implemented into any show, but SpongeBob got it down packed with silly overtones of a tooth ferry and island, and the peak of SpongeBob’s more mature personality traits. After over 4 years of waiting for the double digit seasons, fans awaited the fact that “Season 9 was over”. Even still, it’s hard to believe that it ended a while ago and we’re now in Season 11, but it’s episodes like The Whole Tooth that keep Season 9’s flame burning forever.

Final Verdict: Good 8/10 (an enjoyable if not mildly flawed episode)
The Sewers of Bikini Bottom < The Whole Tooth < Mall Girl Pearl

Question of the Day: Have you had any notable memories with the dentist?

Join me tomorrow as I wrap up Season 9, and don’t forget to brush your teeth with outdated YouTube Poop sources.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
The Whole Tooth is a great episode.

EmployeeAMillion said:
Question of the Day: Have you had any notable memories with the dentist?
Yes. When I was a child back in 2004 or 2005, my first visit to the dentist was in Manila. My baby tooth removal was so painful, I only cried for 10 minutes.

https://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=QeZuo%2B%2BlG953Z19pMi9iyQOUH6dktzL%2B%2BBsXOMKpZgI%3D

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Season 9b Final Thoughts and Statistics
2015 and 2016 were finally a good time to be a SpongeBob fan again. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water did all it could to reinvigorate the franchise, even if it had to cheat its advertising. Regardless, it was a fun movie in its own right that couldn’t have been possible without Stephen Hillenburg. While not the only man to thank for making SpongeBob great in the first place, he was the one who created the world of Bikini Bottom, and knew how to bring it to the big screen once again. (Maybe twice with It’s a Wonderful Sponge on the way) It must’ve been such a thrill working directly with the writers, animators and cast again that he decided to get back onto the show full time as a creative consultant, and his input really shines through in the last 15 episodes of the ninth season.
This batch of episodes make for a GOOD Half-Season, not just because they’re the funniest since Season 3 or 4, but because they’re some of the most likeable. In every episode (well, a majority of episodes considering the penultimate one), you get the earnest sense that Bikini Bottom’s a nice world with quirky people, each with their own lifestyles and perspectives. Squidward’s an antisocial shut-in (Squid Plus One), Larry thrives on exercise (Larry’s Gym), Pearl wants to be cool and popular (Mall Girl Pearl) and Patrick’s too dense to deliberately cause trouble, yet manages to get out of it with SpongeBob (Bulletin Board). Not only are the characters good, but the jokes are bigger yet more light-hearted. There’s some wordplay here and there, a lot of creative visual gags, and the punchlines effect the story and the characters most of the time. Nothing says a good comedic story like the jokes being worked into the plot.
So with SpongeBob seeming pretty good again (not really great, but quality enough to see continue for a couple more years), it could fit in line with the TV animation landscape surrounding it. It was rather mixed throughout this time period, in that for every good show a network had, there was another that was poor. Disney XD had Star Vs and Milo Murphy’s Law, but also Pickle and Peanut and Future-Worm!. Cartoon Network had We Bare Bears and Mighty Magiswords, but also their infamous Powerpuff Girls 2016 reboot. As for Nickelodeon itself, does Pig Goat Banana Cricket ring a bell? No? How about Harvey Beaks or The Loud House? Yes to the last two? I guess because they didn’t rely on gross-out or yelling every 10 seconds to hold your attention, they weren’t just cartoons (they were NickToons!). So with the state of TV animation in general hitting a bit of a snag, more SpongeBob didn’t seem so bad.

So in terms of ratings, Season 9b averages out at 196/290 (6.76/10), or 204/300 (6.8/10) when Factory Fresh is counted as double-length. I wasn’t expecting those sorts of ratings given how many good episodes there were, I mean they’re really not a far cry from Season 4’s, but despite a lot of episodes being great, there were very few that were fantastic. SpongeBob’s in a comfortable zone again, and it tried not to do anything mind-blowing this time around.

The Spongy Scale should fill you in:
Scummy: 0
Bad: 4
Average: 6
Good: 16
Spongy: 3
Thank goodness there are no Scummy episodes, but the amount of Spongies isn’t super impressive. I’m glad we got what we got though, due to how much Good there is.

The Numerical Scale says:
1: 0
2: 0
3: 0
4: 4
5: 3
6: 3
7: 9
8: 7
9: 2
10: 1
That 7s and 8s were very common. Only 7 episodes aren’t good, but hey that’s just a quarter of the season, wheras before it was three quarters.

Bad 4/10
29. Mutiny on the Krusty
28. Sanctuary!
27. Salsa Imbecilicus
26. The Fish Bowl
Average 5/10
25. Company Picnic
24. Food Con Castaways
23. Married to Money
Average 6/10
22. Patrick! The Game
21. Snail Mail
20. The Executive Treatment
Good 7/10
19. Tutor Sauce
18. SpongeBob LongPants
17. Sandy’s Nutmare
16. Sold!
15. Larry’s Gym
14. Pineapple Invasion
13. Lost in Bikini Bottom
12. CopyBob DittoPants
11. What’s Eating Patrick?
Good 8/10
10. Factory Fresh
9. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom
8. The Whole Tooth
7. Mall Girl Pearl
6. Sharks VS Pods
5. Pull Up a Barrel
4. Lame and Fortune
Spongy 9/10
3. Bulletin Board
2. Squid Plus One
Spongy 10/10
1. Two Thumbs Down

As for Season 9’s ratings as a whole, it’s an AVERAGE Season, though much better than most due to the boost. Its ratings are 301/490 (6.14/10) and 318/520 (6.12/10)
Scummy: 1
Bad: 9
Average: 16
Good: 19
Spongy: 4

1/10: 0
2/10: 1
3: 2
4: 7
5: 8
6: 8
7: 12
8: 7
9: 3
10: 1

Scummy 2/10
49. SpongeBob You’re Fired!
Bad 3/10
48. Squid Baby
47. Little Yellow Book
Bad 4/10
46. Yeti Krabs
45. Mutiny on the Krusty
44. Don’t Look Now
43. Sanctuary!
42. Salsa Imbecilicus
41. The Fish Bowl
40. Eek, An Urchin!
Average 5/10
39. Kenny the Cat
38. Company Picnic
37. Patrick-Man!
36. Food Con Castaways
35. Married to Money
34. Seance Shmeance
33. Extreme Spots
32. Bumper to Bumper
Average 6/10
31. Jailbreak!
30. Squirrel Record
29. Patrick! The Game
28. Squid Defense
27. Evil Spatula
26. Snail Mail
25. The Executive Treatment
24. Safe Deposit Krabs
Good 7/10
23. Gary’s New Toy
22. Tutor Sauce
21. SpongeBob LongPants
20. It Came from Goo Lagoon
19. Sandy’s Nutmare
18. Sold!
17. Larry’s Gym
16. Pineapple Invasion
15. Lost in Bikini Bottom
14. CopyBob DittoPants
13. What’s Eating Patrick?
12. License to Milkshake
Good 8/10
11. Factory Fresh
10. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom
9. The Whole Tooth
8. Mall Girl Pearl
7. Sharks VS Pods
6. Pull Up a Barrel
5. Lame and Fortune
Spongy 9/10
4. Bulletin Board
3. Plankton’s Pet
2. Squid Plus One
Spongy 10/10
1. Two Thumbs Down

As for where Season 9 fits in with the rest of the series, it’s dead centre in terms of quality. It definitely raises hopes and opportunities, but still doesn’t have the same zing as the older seasons. I’ll never expect the show to have it again, but it can be good in a new way.
1. Season 2 (8/10)
2. Season 3 (7.49/10)
3. Season 1 (7.46/10)
4. Season 4 (6.55/10)
5. Season 9 (6.14/10)
6. Season 5 (5.54/10)
7. Season 8 (5.15/10)
8. Season 6 (4.74/10)
9. Season 7 (4.36/10)

Ugh, finally done with one of the longest seasons of the show (longest counting the movie). All that researching of what ratings I’d given has made me lightheaded. Well, goodbye Season 9. It was nice seeing you again.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
QOTD: Yeah one dentists cause me to choke so much, that we never came back.

Pretty much agree with you completely on Season 9, overall about Season 4 quality, both could go ether way in my opinion.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
EmployeeAMillion said:
New vid to tire you guys over until Season 10 (tomorrow).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdh2A6aa5c
Looks like you may be able to change the title to 1-9 since all of 9 is over, just a thought, unless you don't since it's "Re-Evaluating".

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Whirly Brains (Season 10, Episode 1a)
Original Airdate: October 15 2016
Episode 390 in standard order, Episode 387 in airing order
Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick get propellers that allow their brains to fly
Written by Mr Lawrence

[titlecard]205A[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Unknown Track 2

Whether it be joy, dread, or the smug feeling I’m ahead of PieGuyRulz in his own race, it’s certainly an event that I’ve gotten to the double digit seasons. I was very excited to see what Season 10 had in store back in 2016. Season 9b was hitting all the right notes for me, and I was hoping they could emulate their success for the next batch of episodes, only 13 this time, though soon shortened further to 11. Then the title for the premiere episode caught me off guard, Whirly Brains. I was a little weirded out, though still confident, then the episode actually aired and I was dumbfounded. Not in an overtly bad way, but it felt like another show, specifically Ren & Stimpy. I guess the crew members were turned off by fans saying the show was picking up the wrong notes from that show, so they went ahead and made the animation more in “that vein” than the cruel tone and gross-out. Give this review a whirl and I’ll tell you what I mean.

SpongeBob and Patrick get bored of playing a game where you hit a stick with a cup. I can tell why it seems like no fun to play, that’s the only objective and the rules are very strict. You can’t even use two sticks. They then see a commercial for a new toy called the “wirly brain”, and are mesmorised by it. They drool, get swirly eyes, fight kver the TV and break it, and in this opening scene, you can see all the differences Season 10 has from 9, and practically every other season of the show. The characters move differently, have new sorts of reactions with the ol’ long top lips, and are louder than ever. This gives the show a new identity to say the least, and there are times in these new seasons where it works well. This is not one of those times unfortunately, it’s overstimulating at best.

So SpongeBob and Patrick get their propellor thingies, and scare each other into popping their lids (craniums) off. Now this is a pretty clever gag, making fun out of a visual gag that pops up in these sorts of cartoons and making it a necessary part in putting these crazy new devices on. After this, their brains lift off into the sky, and they can be flown around with remote controls. This raises way too many questions to dwell on, such as how SpongeBob and Patrick are still conscious. Dwelling on them would make you look like the madman though, so it’s best to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Even then, I could cheat and explain it by saying these were prototype perhipherals for the Switch, and Nintendo just crammed that much technology into them.

They mess around for a bit, destroying SpongeBob’s house and playing pranks on their friends, and it’s literally mindless fun for the most part. The Squidward stuff gets too unnatural for my tastes, but I like Gary having his nap disturbed, and Mr Krabs and Mrs Puff dating. Eventually, all the other kids on the block get whirly brains, and eventually get into a race against one of them. How do I feel about this “neighbourhood delinquents” motif? It frankly makes the idea feel less stupid, as it feels like the rest of Bikini Bottom’s in on the jokes now, not just SpongeBob and Patrick. It doesn’t appear for long, but at least it adds a layer of self-awareness to how cheesy the plot is, particularly with the joke of a kid asking his Dad to get one, and him refusing due to his brain being valuable.

Unfortunately, SpongeBob and Patrick’s brains get stolen during the race by an old coot, and they’re left blind and confused. There are a couple painfully dumb jokes where they think other things close by are their brains, despite them being hundreds of metres away from them, but then they call Sandy. She helps them out with her contrived brain detector and locates their brains, and many others, at the old man’s home, and gets into a fight with him. The old man’s played by Ed Asner, who’s a fantastic actor by the way, so I have no trouble believing the old man’s off his meds. He argues with Sandy for a bit, then when all the brains are released he cries saying he just wants to play again. They’re mood swings, but this is a creepy senior we’re dealing with.

At least he gets a happy ending where SpongeBob and Patrick give their whirly brains to them, and they promise not to play with toys that’ll have bad effects on their organs. At least it would be a fine ending if Squidward didn’t scream into my face about how the martians are coming. There’s a lot to take from this episode, not all of it comfortable. There’s too much energy here, too many story beats, and not enough time spent on character development. I’ll give props to the ideas though, they’re all very interesting, and places are gone with them.

An insane amount of the comedy here is physical, as in the way a character says something or just general slapstick. Some of it’s fine, like SpongeBob and Patrick scaring each other with a mask, and Squidward letting his nose hang out. Other jokes are too juvenile for my liking, like SpongeBob and Patrick picking up a loaded diaper and mistaking it for their brains, or Squidward’s mindless screaming over the “martian invasion”. It’s not easy to draw a distinction between what’s “too crazy “ for this episode, or any episode from Season 10 and 11 for that matter, it all comes down to whether the individual finds it funny or not. When the jokes are good here, they’re fine for me. When they’re not, they’re a massive regression from Season 9b’s humour, and possibly even the entire show’s.

The first thing you’ll notice with the animation’s the Ren & Stimpy influence. The way bodies distort, and even the general concept of flying brains fits into that sort of back-alley surrealism. The detatched brains themselves aren’t as scary as they sound on paper, with the eyes for vision being a neat touch for the toy’s intent to “let your mind soar”, and giving the brains more familiarity when disconnected from their owners’ bodies. Furthermore, the design of the old man (who has no name, so just call him the old man voiced by Ed Asner) is creepy and wrinkly, but he can fit any old wily emotion, as seen when he gets grumpy, sad or happy. When the animation here fails, it’s when it gets overambitious. Some movements and visual gags just seem unnatural on a TV animation budget, like Squidward using his tongue as a propellor to fly away.

What this episode fails spectacularly with compared to Season 9b is with characters. SpongeBob’s no longer a well-meaning oddball and Patrick’s no longer ditzy oaf, they’re both mindless idiots. That may have been the intention, but they’re insane even before they get the whirly brains. I can see them being normal at the end when they give away their whirly brains, and I admire that and their pledge to not be no-brainers, but their portrayal here’s still inconsistent. What did they do to Squidward? He only has two scenes, but I’ve never seen him act this mentally unstable. Even if he’s supposed to be afraid of martians, it’d be more interesting and in-character if he tried to adapt them into his culture, by playing them clarinet or showing them his paintings. Instead, he behaves the way Patrick would in this situation, and that’s baffling to say.

As for the Old Man, he’s a genuinely good character. Sure he’s just another plot point thrown in for tension, but I like his old-fashioned hatred for fun, and the justification that he’s sad to be too old for it. The voice acting’s good, as is his design, and despite being shoehorned in, they have fun with him. The neighbourhood kids are also just in this episode for the sake of it, acting like they’re out of the 50s. It adds some flavour to them, as the whirly brains are advertised with that sort of aesthetic, but they come and go a bit too quickly. It’d be cool if SpongeBob and Patrick had to work with them to find their brains again, that way they’re more connected to the Old Man stuff.

We’re barely over with characters, this episode’s jam-packed with them. Sandy’s in this episode for the last few minutes to help SpongeBob and Patrick out, but that’s about all she does. Sure she gets into an entertaining fight with the Old Man, and compliments the boys on giving away their new toys, but she doesn’t really add to the story. Lastly, there’s Mr Krabs and Mrs Puff (Bubble Bass is on the road in the race, though he’s more an obstacle). I really like how they’re dating when SpongeBob and Patrick prank them. It’s good knowing they’re still going at it after 16 years (16 years ago when this episode came out was 2000, when Season 2 started, but now it’s 2002, when Krusty Love actually premiered). I like references like that, and I’m super happy they picked a particularly sweet plotpoint to tease. We all know how much modern animation fans love their shipping.

If you couldn’t tell already, I’m very conflicted on what to think of this episode. It was a shock to the system to see this as the direction they wanted to head in, but we’ve had dozens of episodes since then, each less shocking than the last. Whether that’s because they learned to be more conservative again or if this style’s run its course is up for me to decide over the next couple months. Regardless, I like the creativity in Whirly Brains and what it tried to say. This was a bold statement that they couldn’t play it safe forever. Unfortunately, this episode gets too crazy too often. I like some of the stuff it throws at me, but what am I supposed to make of it after it’s finished? It’s chaotic, but that’s not always a compliment.

Final Verdict: Average 5/10 (a mixed bag)
The Fish Bowl < Whirly Brains < Company Picnic

Question of the Day: What are your thoughts on Season 10?

Get ready for some action tomorrow! Until then, have some brain music. I used a sample of it in my recent video when talking about Squid Wood, and although it wasn’t the piece that episode focused on the most, it’s still great music.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Mermaid Pants (Season 10, Episode 1a)
Original Airdate: October 29 2016
Episode 391 in standard order, Episode 389 in airing order
Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick play Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy, and get Squidward and Mr Krabs roped in
Written by Kaz

[titlecard]205B[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: MM/BB Action Theme

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the Mermaid Pants (& Barnacle Star) episodes are a good idea. They’re not always good episodes (you’ll see when I get to Man Ray Returns), but their heart’s in the right place. Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy episodes are out of the question now due to the death of Ernest Borgnine, and cosplay and roleplay have become a much bigger staples of fandom since the 1990s. It only makes sense to preserve the superhero theme that’s become second nature to the show, while evolving to fit with what fans of media do nowadays, minus all the yelling on computers. Care to see what I think of this mind-rotting adventure?

It starts with SpongeBob and Patrick goofing around on Conch Street, playing Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy, much like they did back in the original 1999 episode. I like how it harkens back to the old days so a new path can be drawn, and I don’t mind the gags presented here. Squidward scolds them for bothering him, so they call him Dr Negative, then ruin his vegetable garden because they think he’s using the veges for evil. It’s a bit dumb of them to come to that conclusion, but I like how they just take the vegetables and turn them into a salad and promote healthy eating. Plus Squidward’s reaction to it’s priceless. If he isn’t flipping tables, I guess his garden being invaded isn’t the end of the world.

Sadly, the episode doesn’t get quite this good again for another couple minutes. It’s time for SpongeBob and Squidward to go to work now, and SpongeBob and Patrick tidy up. They get back into their costumes soon enough however, and cause more trouble than good, taping a man in bandages for little reason and beating up the garbage. This sort of behaviour is what almost got SpongeBob fired back in Karate Choppers, and there isn’t much it adds to the episode aside from emptying the Krusty Krab of angry customers. I’d even go as far as to say it reminds me of Shuffle-Boarding, but unlike that episode, an actual story materialises after this.

Instead of reprimanding SpongeBob for driving away he customers, Mr Krabs invites Squidward into his secret comic book collection. This is the sort of twist that can only work for an isolated episode, because then it raises tons of questions about why Krabs never played a big part in any MM/BB episode. At least they write it off as him loving them for their value, so there was effort put in making it work. Anyway, Mr Krabs has might a costume for himself of his favourite villain, Tightwad, and one for Squidward to wear as Dr Negative. After the rather subpar “driving away customers” thing, I like how the story flicks to something else and gets us invested in a new plotpoint. Not only that, but Mr Krabs and Squidward playing along with SpongeBob and Patrick is the right amount of crazy in my eyes. They don’t hate them, they just want to get back at them as villains.

Before they fight properly however, instead of just flipping around and splatting, SpongeBob points out they’ve got to do something evil before they can be considered villains. Since robbing the bank doesn’t work, as everyone uses ATMs these days (clever modern day joke right there), they just get some supplies and turn the Krusty Krab into an evil lair. SpongeBob and Patrick are then about to be burned in a vat of boiling oil, and Squidward really gets into his villain role, which is a much better way of making him insane than in the last episode. It’s more in-line with his character, fits his part in the episode, and it’s pretty funny hearing him speak like a James Bond villain. SpongeBob and Patrick break free however by pushing the tray around, but it ends with the Krusty Krab being destroyed. As it’s been converted into a lair, I don’t care that much, and am sorta glad that danger’s been averted. Sure Mr Krabs and Squidward end up getting fried anyway, but Krabs can take it and Squidward was getting sick pleasure out of the game towards the end.

Compared to Whirly Brains, the comedy’s also much snappier here. There are a lot of good lines that come out of the Narrator here, such as him pointing out the “evil afoot” pun, and making fun of the initial battle between Mermaid Pants and Tightwad with lacklustre descriptions. My favourite is the ending however, where he complains about his job and wishes he could go back to college. Other special mentions should go to Mr Krabs relating to Tightwad, saying he’s just misunderstood, and Squidward slowly getting into his role as Dr Negative. You also get the janitor of the bank getting ripped, both subverting your expectations and reminding you of the Hulk, due to the janitor already being green. There are some immature jokes scattered around however, like SpongeBob pulling supplies out of Patrick’s buttcheeks (or as I like to call it, the Magic Bag of Winds Dimension), but they don’t take away too much from the episode.

While this episode has its fair share of crazy facial expressions, they’re nowhere near as prevalent as in yesterday’s episode. The animation’s more focused on the detail and presentation, as can be seen in the costumes the characters wear. The MM/BB cosplays have gotten more detailed, and Tightwad and Dr Negative’s costumes are great. For characters we never actually see (only characters playing them), there’s personality in their clothes alone, with Tightwad’s penny dispenser and Dr Negative’s cross for a headlight. The best location in the episode is easily the Krusty Krab when it’s converted into a Lair. The dark green colouring is luscious, and all the computers and gadgetry surrounding the place make you wonder just how long it took the characters to hook them up before they could get back to playing. One problem I have with the animation is the gross-out in the garbage scene, but again, it’s nothing too in-your-face, except for the customers’ faces, but you know what I mean.

Characterization is another interesting case, where the heroees aren’t all that great but the villains are pretty fun. SpongeBob and Patrick are rather dumb here, causing more destruction than they should. I get that was the joke, but since they don’t do anything moral except promote eating vegetables, it’s no wonder the Narrator calls their adventures mind-rotting. At least you’re able to distinguish the two this time, with Patrick spouting more non-sequitors and SpongeBob being more of a leader. Mr Krabs and Squidward are where this episode’s at. Being older and crankier, it’s miles funnier seeing them screw up at being villains. Sure they wouldn’t go through with this playdate in other circumstances, but it’s just the nature of the episode dictating their actions, and it’s not a bad nature either.

I’m relieved this wasn’t as off-the-wall as Whirly Brains, exposing that episode as the experiment it was. How does it stand on its own, removed from the debate of seasons? I think it’s a good episode with a bunch of funny gags and ideas, worked into the story much better than I remember it to have. In terms of introducing the Mermaid Pants subseries, I think it faulters in making the main duo too childish and destructive. It’d be great if the next one (I mean after Man Ray Returns) could actually throw them into a life-threatening situation. It’s a bit weird to say, but they can’t rely on Tightwad and Dr Negative to save them.

Final Verdict: Good 7/10 (solid but not top notch)
The Executive Treatment < Mermaid Pants < Tutor Sauce

Question of the Day: Do you like the Mermaid Pants episodes?

It’ll soon be time for the show to get a bit more unreal again. What time exactly? I don’t really know. I know it’s a but rude to release just two reviews then carry on with my life, but I just wanted to get 2016 out of the way. This won’t be the last review, I’m just going on an extended break, like I did between Season 2 and 3 (which was like 4 months if I recall correctly). Also, I heard the news about Tim Conway. That’s a bummer, and I plan to do something about it. Anyway, have a good day.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
The birthday boy is back!

Unreal Estate (Season 10, Episode 2a)
Original Airdate: June 3 2017*
Episode 392 in standard order, Episode 402 in airing order
*copyrighted 2016
Plot: Squidward tricks SpongeBob into thinking he’s allergic to his pineapple house, in an effort to make him move
Written by Ben Gruber

[titlecard]206A[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Coffee Bar

There wasn’t much I could really say about this episode before I rewatched it. It seemed like a typical house-hunting episode that focused too much on STP. It didn’t help that it aired much later in the season than necessary, thus feeling “out of its time period”, and it being paired with a pretty bad sister episode. I’ve grown to like it however, and consider it an example of what Season 10 does right. It uses the loose, zany animation and far-out storylines to its advantage, and ends up being very memorable and even quotable. I don’t know if it’s one of the season’s best episodes, but it’s the first time I’ve felt it’s done something all-around great, and I’m happy it did so quite early on.

It starts with SpongeBob performing his natural talent, bothering Squidward. Specifically, cleaning his pineapple of barnacles and getting out the hose. Said hose goes out of control, and douses Squidward in his house, minding his own business. He then goes outside to tell SpongeBob to turn it off, but gets the house stuck in his mouth and briefly turns into a water fountain. As far as nutty openings go, this one’s rather fun. The visuals are funny, and SpongeBob’s not intentionally doing anything wrong. Sure it’s irresponsible of him to us the hose on such a high level, but anything to make the cleaning more fun I guess.

While Squidward’s scolding SpongeBob for all the frustration he caused, SpongeBob gets the sniffles. It’s likely from the barnacle dust as he says (which is a thing I never thought would be written down), but Squidward sarcastically says he’s allergic to the pineapple house, then gets the idea to trick SpongeBob into moving out by abusing his gullibility. It’s another STP where Squidward at first plays a massive prank on SpongeBob before paying the price, and it helps Unreal Estate’s case that there are neat jokes thrown in. I particularly like Squidward using pepper to trick SpongeBob, and grinding it all over his house before being attacked by Gary. It’s early punishment that doesn’t phase him enough, so it shows how willing he is to get SpongeBob out of his neighbourhood. After all, him moving is out of the question.

SpongeBob believes he has allergies, as he can’t stop sneezing, conveniently oblivious to all the pepper that appeared in his house overnight. It’s understandable, as emotions are clouding his judgement (what little there is), and it’s a true fact that allergies can develop over time. Sad, he goes house-hunting with Squidward for a less painful house, but it turns out it’s rather hard to live in other foods. He slips on a banana peel when he comes out of the banana house, gets caught on fire in the chilli house, and can’t stop eating the chicken sandwich house. These are all shown through parodies of the SpongeBob title sequence, and that’s fine for the first two, but disturbing for the last one. There’s more to this portion of the episode than member berries however, as we also get to see how a giant drawer can function as a house (all balcony, no safety), and a fish tank in a bar that Squidward somehow got SpongeBob to. It’s a very funny joke, but was there a hidden intention behind Squidward showing off this one?

Finally, they come across the last house on sale in Bikini Bottom, which looks old and crummy on the outside, but is fancy and luxurious on the inside. SpongeBob and Squidward both love the house, SpongeBob for the amount of ways he can mess around, ad Squidward because the interior design fits his personality. Eventually, Squidward decides to buy the house and give his old one to SpongeBob, but things go wrong on his first night when he discovers it’s a rocket ship that launches in the morning. That’s a pretty clever set-up, with the untidy outside, space age dream house aesthetic and Squidward’s need for karma all coming together. It goes to show that the value of a home rests in how much your personality fits it, and Squidward’s definitely hasn’t, when he heads back to Conch Street and discovers Patrick has the pineapple, so his only option’s the rock. Don’t worry though, it’ll all be back to normal after the commercials.

There are many jokes I laughed at in this episode, including but not limited to the houses. The drawer in particular seems like a really good idea with the right design mentality, which it clearly didn’t here. I even like the intro parodies despite them being 15 years too late, well except for the sandwich one. That was just gross. I liked the rest of this episode’s jokes though, like Squidward using the pepper to trick SpongeBob into thinking he’s got an allergic reaction, and him getting beaten up by Gary while SpongeBob gently sleeps. This episode leans prretty heavy on the Squidward-based slapstick (or “Squidstick”), and it surprisingly never gets old. One minute he’s falling down a staircase by the handle, the next he’s being thrust into space at high velocity. There’s a lot of variety here without it being overbearing or quantity over quality.

How about them visual gags? They’re also pretty neat, and not “too zany” by any stretch. Sure Squidward turns into a water fountain at the start, but it’s added upon with children playing around him, meaning it’s more layered and relatable than just a dumb visual. It’s rather good when that’s the only thing that tells me I’m watching a Season 10 episode. Otherwise this feels like a holdover from 9b. All the houses, despite barely being functional for the most part, are also well-designed. The rocket one especially looks like a modern dreamhouse, with cultured decor and large surface area. You can tell why both SpongeBob and Squidward wanted it.

Speaking of whom, how does their writing fare here? SpongeBob’s great here despite being naïve, but that’s always been a part of his character and it drives the story forward in the right way. Just because he doesn’t understand how Squidward’s tricked him doesn’t mean he can’t be fun-loving and sentimental about his pineapple. As for Squidward, he does something mischevious, goes through with it despite knowing it’s a mean thing to do, then pays the price for the rest of the episode. It’s an arc Squidward’s been through dozens of times, but it’s effective here because he’s at least being elaborate and in-character. It kinda feels like him house-hunting with SpongeBob is also an excuse for him to look at other homes. The story focuses entirely on them, keeping it simple yet efficient, though a few other characters are sneaked in. Gary attacks Squidward while SpongeBob’s sleeping, and Patrick gets the pineapple house at the end. They’re not really amazing roles, but it makes the world of Bikini Bottom developed enough to not just be two people.

It’s too soon to look at Season 10 episodes and determine which ones are the most liked, but I feel like this is going to be considered one of the highlights in 5 or so years. It takes advantage of the strengths of the season, the cartoony atmosphere and emphasis on crazy ideas, as well as the strengths of the series at large, such as character relations and humour. I’d even say it’s up there with Home Sweet Pineapple, a quintessential Season 1 episode, because they’re both great and easy to compare and contrast. It really goes to show that SpongeBob will change for the better, and be here forever in some way.

Final Verdict: Good 8/10 (an enjoyable if not mildly flawed episode)
The Sewers of Bikini Bottom < Unreal Estate < The Whole Tooth

Question of the Day: Do you have any allergies?

Tomorrow, it’s time for a Code Yellow that’s code red. Before that, here’s my Season 5 video.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Code Yellow (Season 10, Episode 2b)
Original Airdate: June 3 2017
Episode 393 in standard order, Episode 403 in airing order
*copyrighted 2016
Plot: SpongeBob gets mistaken for a doctor at a hospital, while Squidward gets prepared for a nose job
Written by Andrew Goodman

[titlecard]206B[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Hawaiian Adventures

It was only a matter of time before Season 10 screwed up. Compared to 9b, which harkened back to the old style of comedy, it’s much harder for this new direction to be consistently good right out the gate. There’s got to be some trial and error before they can understand how far is “too far” and, although that may seem like common knowledge for such a long-running series, a boundary-pushing season’s going to have to stumble about, especially when the change is so drastic. I’m rather happy that the show’s screwing up in a familiar way, by overemphasising disturbing imagery and ideas, but I’m not happy with this being a bad episode.

It starts with Squidward walking along the road to a hospital, awaiting a nose job. Why he’d need one when he can change his nose at will is beyond me, and the episode’s major problem of not taking itself seriously rears its ugly head in. SpongeBob comes around to bother him as per usual, but then helpfully takes him to the hospital. What isn’t that helpful about this deed however is that Squidward and the hospital’s front desk get completely doused in garbage. This very much sets up that SpongeBob’s help in this episode only had short-term benefits, with how Squidward gets to where he wants to be, but at the expense of looking more like a freak.

Even after this possible disruption of several sick people’s peace, SpongeBob sticks to Squidward like a wart on his bulbous nose, giving him stuffed animals and balloons and the like. This eases the pain of the previous scene a bit, but not enough to make him more sympathetic. After all, he is annoying his neighbour in a hospital of all places. Squidward eventually shoos him off by saying he should be a candy striper. For those who don’t know candy stripers are trainees for places like hospitals and retirement homes, and wear a red and white-striped shirt to make it clear they’re trainees. SpongeBob gets a job as one with no effort, and then sucks the candy stripes off his new suit, before being mistaken for a doctor. I like the little visual gag they do, but I hate how it becomes a part of the story, unlike most other jokes of this era that remain jokes.

SpongeBob’s first patient in his sudden shift to the world of medicine is a catfish with a croaky voice, who he easily fixes up. It’s not very funny, but nice of him to point out how she’s a bottom-feeder and how she accidentally ate her keys. His next positions aren’t as endearing however. One patient has broken legs, so SpongeBob shakes his entire skeleton out and replaces it with a fake one, and messes around with Mrs Puff’s iron lung. These scenes aren’t funny, don’t further the story, and are aimless with how violent they are, the Mrs Puff one especially with how they run over the marathon runner and break his legs again.

Then they get to Squidward’s operation, and Squidward only has a few seconds to know his doctor before being knocked out, SpongeBob. What follows is a ton of padding, with SpongeBob reaching for a spatula, accidentally cutting up Squidward’s entire body, pulling a rainbow string of hankies out of his nose, this hasn’t got much to do with the nose job. It’s just a bunch of gags that don’t flow or connect, except through SpongeBob cracking jokes which the observers laugh at. Eventually, he does give Squidward a different nose, but it’s not the one he wants. Heck, he gives Squidward several noses he doesn’t want until he’s begging for his old one back. After all this is done, my least favourite part of the episode occurs, where SpongeBob has to go to work, and fully admits he’s not a doctor and leaves. Just remember being a fake doctor is illegal, not just in real life, but on the show as discussed in Suds. In fact, the whole story feels like a messy surgery. You only get the aftermath for the rest of time, but you hope it could’ve been done much better with some simple incisions.

Now getting into the comedy, I have to express my opinion that it’s hard to make tasteful hospital jokes. This episode had its work cut out for it with the setting alone, and it ends up with some good and terrible jokes. I like some of the dialogue-based jokes, like SpongeBob pointing out that catfish and his friend starfish are both bottom-feeders, and him saying “Let’s get medical” like an 80s action hero. That sort of thing is what I like to see in the episode, not the excessive violence like SpongeBob shaking the bones out of the athlete, or cutting Squidward into sushi (and giving him a shrunken Squilliam head for a nose, because that’s the cameo he’s gotten). I hardly think it’s going to get kids interested in working in the field of medicine. Additionally, that ending joke of SpongeBob revealing he’s not a doctor and simply waltzing away without consequence is pretty bad for several reasons I’ve already written about.

It’s not great when the modern seasons head into gross-out territory, because having it in crystal clear HD makes the visuals way more detailed and significantly harder to enjoy. Squidward’s nose before he gets it lifted, with all the warts and pimples on it, is one of the worst things I’ve seen on the show. At least it’s the only horrible thing I remember, the rest of the animation is fine, even for jokes that are generally bad. To reiterate, I like the joke of SpongeBob sucking the candy stripes off his uniform, but it just doesn’t need to be a plotpoint. Other jokes have that problem where they’re simple and funny until they’re dwelled upon, like SpongeBob putting Squidward in a garbage can to transport him. It’s a cute gesture on SpongeBob’s behalf until he crashes into the hospital and all the junk from the can gets splattered everywhere.

The characters are starting to get more or less inconsistent again, and new characters leave less of an impact. Starting with SpongeBob, it’s obvious he’s always trying to help others, though he never does so in the right way. He mutilates Squidward when he should’ve just fixed the nose, and forced Mrs Puff out of her iron lung through hi jinks, for example. Squidward himself spends most of the episode resting or simply asleep, so despite his role in the story, it doesn’t feel like the episode’s about him. The characters that SpongeBob needs to help for gags are simply part of the gag. If it weren’t for Mrs Puff’s line about SpongeBob still not deserving his boating license, it’d be impossible for a newcomer to know she’s a recurring character. As for the doctors, a lot of them are insanely bland at best, and hardly seem to take their job seriously at worst. There’s something very wrong with SpongeBob occasionally being the most serious man in the room.

There are quite a few Season 10 episodes I remember disliking- Snooze You Lose, Patrick’s Coupon and Out of the Picture are some examples. They’ve all got something in common though, and that’s they’re not grounded enough. By that I mean the show feels senile on the lower end of Season 10, unable to take care of itself and not remembering how to. I feel like one of the reasons Code Yellow in particular stings so much is because of the setting and the jokes they make with it. This would’ve been a great Season 9b episode, back when they could’ve made more elaborate and tasteful jokes, but a hospital just isn’t a good fit for the current series’ direction. I’d say the show’s on life support with episodes like this still seeing the light of day, but that’s outright false from a financial standpoint, the show’s as alive as ever, but only in a couple ways.

Final Verdict: Bad 4/10 (not worth your time)
Mutiny on the Krusty < Code Yellow < Sanctuary!

Question of the Day: Have you ever been a candy striper/hospital volunteer?

Could Season 10 and 11 just have an identity crisis? Find out tomorrow, just as long as you have fever or the chills.

Back