Re-Evaluating my opinions on SpongeBob Season 1-8

hippythehippo

Banished
Something about Two Thumbs Down makes it feel slow, and it kinda drags at places. That said, I enjoyed the thumb war, and some other scenes amuse, so it's ok.
QOTD The Whole Tooth is one of my favorites of the series.

Said my thoughts on Sharks vs Pods. So much fun with great humor.
QOTD idk

I still can't believe Copybob was once considered pre movie caliber. Most of the episode plays out generically, and has a dumb twist ending. That said, I enjoy it. Eps were just Spongebob and Plankton interact by with themselves are nice to me. One of the better Plankton plots of 9b, as most of the others are bland or boring.
QOTD idk

Some great eps ahead for you, excited to hear your thoughts!

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
Hey! I love your reviews. I'm only on Season five of your reviews right now though. Just to not look dumb, I'll answer the last QOTD. My favorite episode dealing with clones would have to be Split Personality from Phineas and Ferb. If clones include robot clones, then Imitation Krabs.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Sold! (Season 9, Episode 21a)
Original Airdate: May 6 2016 (Episode 379)
Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick move out of their houses after seeing a confusing commercial
Written by Kaz and Kyle McCulloch

[titlecard]199A[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Unknown Track 1

Ever since I first saw the plot synopsis for this episode, I rightly assumed that this would try to be an old school STP (Squidward Temper/Torture Plot for those catching up), with Squidward doing a lot of running around, and SpongeBob/Patrick’s naïveté happening to cause him problems. I was unsure what to make of it until it came out. Would it be great or another misstep in the formula? It seems to be one of the most popular Post-Sequel episodes, and I remember finding it to be good, though a bit problematic given they haven’t tried an episode like this in years. Let’s return to see its selling points.

It’s a boring afternoon and Patrick’s at home watching sitcoms, when a real estate commercial suddenly appears and freaks him out. A guy named Nick Fishkins is a house-flipper and says he wants to buy the viewer’s home, which gets Patrick upset that his house has been taken away from him. That’s all well and good, but when he goes to stay with SpongeBob, he too gets the idea that the commercial comes on to steal homes. I think SpongeBob’s a bit too dumb here to be fooled by such a nonsensical idea, and I’m convinced that’s the point of his and Patrick’s roles, being dumb. It’s not a bad way to start the episode, as it’s rather funny, but it’s a mild case of making the duo a hivemind of idiocy.

Things don’t pick up when they decide to live in the Krusty Krab’s trash. It’s got some creative visuals and gags, like them building a 19th century house out of all the garbage, but it’s got that sort of “gross for the sake of gross” attitude that the series can’t quite abandon. I feel like it even goes against the sense of the show, because SpongeBob showers in garbage before going to work, for a job where he has to be clean no less. Sure Squidward’s happy song before realising SpongeBob and Patrick are doing something stupid again is fantastic, but the rest of this portion of the episode is a turn-off for me. Aside from Squidward’s minor part to play, it doesn’t even have much to do with the rest of the story. New Digs it ain’t.

Because Squidward enjoys living in a peaceful neighbourhood for once, he’s shocked when SpongeBob and Patrick say they’re going to revisit it to see the new owners. He quickly makes up the phony lie that busy people are the new owners, namely a German family of 14 and a rock band. They head back to Conch Street anyway, so Squidward has to whip together disguises to fool them. I feel like this should’ve been the meat of the episode instead of being reserved for the third act, because the pace is brought up drastically. Still, I think the routine of Squidward putting on these acts and disguises is great. All this trouble is what he gets for lying I suppose.

After a while, Squidward gets fed up with inventing electric clarinets and getting 12 German sock puppets to provide dinner entertainment, and just tells SpongeBob and Patrick what’s going on. Like Lost in Bikini Bottom, the episode gets a bit educational as Squidward explains what flipping a house means. After this, he says he wants to flip his own house, but SpongeBob and Patrick do it literally for him, making Nick Fishkins not want to buy it. The episode unfortunately goes right back too being dumb here, with SpongeBob and Patrick not actually learning the concept of flipping. The episode may be entertaining, but the story goes to several different places and doesn’t really stick to a specific theme and just jumps around finding the funniest position for the characters to be in. Some of them work, others don’t.

Much of the episode’s comedy relies on absurdity, and that’s why I feel it’s much looser than others. The idea of Squidward imitating a rock musician is funny, as is the presentation, but never in a million years would I have come up with him trying to be a German couple. The German accents aren’t even that racist, as they’re all in good fun. Unfortunately, some parts can get a bit too random, and that can bleed into the story as I’ve already said. Sold! is more in my good books however, as it deserves some props for hosting one of my favourite lines in the series, “Well aren’t your 12 little German children going to sing for me while I eat?”.

This trend of hits and slight misses continues into the animation, where there’s some gross-out. SpongeBob bathing in trash and Patrick eating a chunk of it’s pretty off-putting to say the least, but at least there aren’t any close-ups and it isn’t too detailed. That’s faint praise, but it goes a long way in making the show apealling. Also, there’s a little animation error I noticed, and that’s the portrait of Gary that still hangs in SpongeBob’s house after he’s moved. As for what I like about the animation, a lot of it surrounds Squidward, including his Grinch face, his fantasy of getting a rainbow to destroy his neighbouring houses and his German/rock costumes. Furthermore, I like the design of Nick Fishkins. He look like a young, plucky entrepreneur, and he’s got a matching personality.

That’s all I have to say about Nick as a character, except for not being as harsh on Squidward as other one-offs, and denying him in his own zany way. The main characters are all pretty loose here, but funny all the same. SpongeBob and Patrick aare made to be a bit dumber here, definitely so the audience relates more to Squidward, but SpongeBob’s still kind-hearted, wanting to meet the new German family. Patrick’s more ignorant, but you can tell he’s just simple-minded. Squidward was quite a treat here. I like his initial unexplained happiness, and I especially enjoy the lengths he goes to to prevent SpongeBob and Patrick from finding out they still own their houses. I unfair nonsense he goes through isn’t totaly justified, but this is a case where his suffering’s funny enough to not make you worry about it.

Sold! was very much a bargain. You get a lot with it, even if it’s not totally trustworthy. I have my problems with the story, though for others they may not be that big a deal. What is going to sell you on the episode however is that it’s really funny. Most of the jokes hit bullseye, though a few others don’t quite work. If there’s something to take from this episode, it’s that they’ve got the old “Squidward hates his neighbours” formula on the right course. It hardly deserves the title of torture. That’s all I have to say about it really, I’ll let the rating speak for itself.

Final Verdict: Good 7/10 (solid but not top notch)
It Came From Goo Lagoon < Sold! < Larry’s Gym

Question of the Day: Would you want 12 German children to sing for you while you eat?

I really hope tomorrow’s episode turns out to be more fortunate. Until then, sing me out Squidward.
:sbthumbs:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I agree that Sold! was a pretty solid episode, but I don't think it's even worth that 7.

EmployeeAMillion said:
Question of the Day: Would you want 12 German children to sing for you while you eat?
Um no thanks

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
QOTD: Nah, I don't like children singing. So 12 children singing in accents that I can't understand is too much for me.

I'm going to follow the new season 9+ reviews while also reading the ones I missed. You might have to slow down though. I heard that Nickelodeon barely airs new episodes.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Lame and Fortune (Season 9, Episode 21b)
Original Airdate: July 11 2016 (Episode 380)
Plot: A box of fortune cookies falls from the sky, and all the fortunes come true
Written by Mr Lawrence

[titlecard]199B[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Salty Squid Jig

This is an episode idea that I feel was realised with the good old fashioned noun game. Essentially, early stories on the show would be made up by pulling random nouns out of a hat and letting your imagination run wild. Try to see what you can do with “box”, “TV” and “racecar”. This is a much more recent episode that I think was made in the same spirit, as fortune cookies wouldn’t be able to find their way into the show otherwise. The noun game goes to show how different SpongeBob is from other shows, as the goal during writing is to get as crazy as possible while still making sense, and this episode does that with flying colours.

It’s a smooth, uneventful day for SpongeBob and Gary, as they lay out in their backyard until a giant box falls from the sky and crushes SpongeBob. This box is actually a crate containing fortune cookies that fell into the ocean, as presented with some very noticeable CGi. I’ll talk more about that and the new opening sequence later on. Right now, SpongeBob and Gary eat some and their fortunes seem to have come true, with SpongeBob receiving a fortune and a trail following Gary. Of course this is just SpongeBob’s optimism clouding his common sense, but it’s soon revealed that these fortune cookies actually do come true for those who read them. I love how this is similar to the pencil in Frankendoodle, where common objects on the surface are more magical in Bikini Bottom. That’s got to be an allegory for something.

SpongeBob’s so excited about the cookies that he asks Mr Krabs if they can be sold at the Krusty Krab for free. He refuses at first, but upon seeing Squidward’s obliged fortune come true, he changes his mind, thinking they’ll bring in money. Said fortune is being rewarded with cash for being the most miserable cashier in Bikini Bottom, only for it to be taken away by Mr Krabs. This is a pretty good Squidward joke. It’s exciting, not too sour and he’s happy then grumpy again in a snap. This good luck works on the rest of the Bikini Bottomites as well, though it’s much more long-lasting. A man and woman fall in love by eating hats and a random fish gets his legs broken (notably not Fred). It’s all harmless, silly fun, though I have to wonder what use these fortunes would be to humans.

Since the Krusty Krab’s doing something right, Plankton finds out about it and thinks up a way to ruin it. He’s the villain after all, and the way they use it as a launchpad into his lust for the secret formula’s pretty clever. He makes his own sample of them containing cruel or insulting fortunes, gets Karen to vapourise the others. That’s well and good, it’s an effective plan and uses the newfound belief in fortune cookies against the main characters, but then things get a bit darker. He plants one for the now-distraught Mr Krabs which is essentially a death threat. It says to give the Krabby Patty secret formula to a copepod or he’ll die. It’s such a great idea, because Mr Krabs now pretty darn low without customers, and Plankton’s doing something genuinely evil.

Mr Krabs is so distraught that he pictures his own funeral, where Pearl takes his wallet from his cold, meaty claws. That’s enough to convince him and SpongeBob that handing over the secret formula is the right thing to do. Sure they don’t question if Plankton made this fortune up, but they’d need evidence. They go to the Chum Bucket, which is now overcrowded because of another fake fortune that said eating chum will make you live forever. It’s another bogus fortune, but the background fish make for a great scene where SpongeBob and Plankton fight the sealike current to exchange the formula. Eventually after the customers kick the formula around long enough, Plankton snaps and tells the customers his fortunes were all fake, which I guess breaks the magic because Mr Krabs is no longer scared. Everything’s back to the way it was, and Plankton gets his comeuppance by being stuffed in a fortune cookie, which is sold at a Chinese joint. It’s nothing too crazy, they did something similar for Wishing You Well.

So yeah, this is a really solid story that holds together, and the jokes aren’t too bad either. This is one of those episodes where I laugh at the jokes instead of just finding them amusing. Stuff like SpongeBob mistaking the box for a growing cloud and Plankton’s accidental description of his marriage never fail to entertaing me, and they keep the story flowing, which is what I like to see in comedy. However, it’s not the funniest episode out there to me. Sure its jokes are great, but they’re not as common as in something like Pull Up a Barrel. It makes up for that with a more captivating story, so that’s a plus.

Now the animation’s also great here, and a strong suit of the episode in my opinion. There are some visual gags I’m very fond of, sich as Squidward’s mouth printing his fortune out like a receipt dispenser, and the dollars in Mr Krabs’ eyes turning into cents and dropping off. They’re creative and silly, and aren’t long or distracting. The piles of fortune cookies aren’t that pleasing to look at, they’re generally cracked lumps of beige, but I can tell the effort placed into them. Speaking of piles, the crowd at the Chum Bucket’s pretty cool. When it turns into a sea, the characters are fluid enough to be easily distorted, even if it comes at the cost of their designs being oversimplified. I also really like the addition of Mr Krabs’ family in his funeral nightmare, including Grandpappy and the KrabTales nephews. I can’t praise the Post-Sequel seasons enough in terms of world-building.

On the subject of alterations to the show after the sequel, this is the first episode to feature the new CGi Bikini Bottom island. It was rather controversial when it was introduced, but I don’t mind it. It’s not really fake or that distracting, as it only appears in the intro for 3 seconds, which I skip anyway. Gosh I’m on a roll with connecting me points, as for the new intro the island was made for, it’s a faithful recreation. Aside from that mild cosmetic upgrade, it does a great job at remaking the classic intro in widescreen. My only problems are that the new colour palette doesn’t match with the old design, and that there’s a very brief glitch at the start of the morphing sequence. It’s a single frame, but some kids are going to watch that everyday, and have done so for 2 years now. It’s bothered the heck out of me.

Because the story’s more dramatic than Sold!, I feel like the characters are more engaging. SpongeBob’s just doing his best to spread joy again, and Mr Krabs is seeking a profit and not much else. What I like about them though is how this translates into the more serious tone the story picks up. They have to seriously debate over whether Mr Krabs should hand over the formula. It’s all thanks to Plankton being more evil than normal, which isn’t that hard to digest since he’s a villain. As for the Bikini Bottomites, sure they may be dumb for flocking to the Chum Bucket, but remember they believe in the power of the fortune-telling just as much as SpongeBob and Mr Krabs, and they don’t know about Plankton’s scheme.

I feel pretty fortunate to have rewatched this episode. It sets itself apart from others by dealing with a very unique food, and it makes a “steal the formula” plot that’s much original than using a faulty robot for the 50th time. It helps that it’s got a couple clever jokes, though only a couple. That isn’t any barrier to my enjoyment though, I was fully enticed by what was going to happen next, what the next fortune was, and how the characters were going to deal with their problems. I don’t know if this’ll encourage kids to buy fortune cookies more often, I mean you can get a pack of them at the store, but it gets the magic of it across like the show’s done before with pencils and wishing wells. You will find happiness with this new episode.

Final Verdict: Good 8/10 (an enjoyable if not mildly flawed episode)
Pull Up a Barrel < Lame and Fortune < Plankton’s Pet

Question of the Day: What voice do you read my reviews in?

Nothing says a milestone episode like this vibe, but until then, hope you had a fortunate day.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Factory Fresh (Season 9, Episode 22)
Original Airdate: February 20 2017*
Episode 381 in standard order, Episode 391 in airing order
*produced in 2016
Plot: SpongeBob invents Frozen Krabby Patties, but things soon start smelling like big business
Written by Kyle McCulloch

[titlecard]200[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Sailor’s Sting 28

200 half-hours! It’s a pretty big milestone, and I feel like I’ve gotten over the biggest hurdles in this project. On top of that, not only is this the first review to be just a year behind the episode, but this is the first (chronological) episode to air after I started this project! I’ve covered a great deal of SpongeBob history, and my personal history surrounding the show, so now I can finally get to episodes I was too “behind” to cover when they came out. With that, I really dislike how they changed this episode’s title at the last minute to Goodbye Krabby Patty?/Krusty Krab, to make it honestly feel like this’ll be the end of so many years. I’m thankful to say this isn’t the end of my enjoyment of the show, as this is a pretty good special.

Segment 399 begins with SpongeBob and Patrick having a nice day, they get stung by jellyfish, brush each other’s teeth and wear a pair of jeans together. It’s an all-around simple, feel-good opening that lets you in on what their friendship is like. It’s pretty silly, but they’re happy with the free time they have. Their great day ends with a trip to the grocery store to get some ice cream, where they spend more time than they need to in the frozens section. After all, ice cream choosing is a serious and time-consuming job. There they meet Mr Krabs picking up some frozen dinners, and SpongeBob comes up with the idea of frozen Krabby Patties, which Mr Krabs takes credit for. It’s one of the problems people might have with this episode, that SpongeBob’s pushed aside in favour of the rich and glamourous, but to me, it symbolises that he, a kid, can’t fit into this big business lifestyle.

Once again, Mr Krabs makes a cheap, unprofessional commercial promoting Krabby Patties featuring Pearl and SpongeBob in the background, though this time it’s so bad that the executives don’t want to air it. This group of executives includes Don Grouper, voiced by Mad Men star Jon Hamm and is Mr Krabs’ new husbando. He’s got a very swave, on-the-dot view on how the Krabby Patty should be marketed, and although he takes the new slogan from some yellow box, he’s got a good idea in getting the average joe to be the spokesperson. This is one of the times in this episode that I find SpongeBob being pushed to the sideline justified, as Patrick’s much more of an average joe, and has probably eaten more Krabby Patties in his lifetime. That’s not to say SpongeBob shouldn’t be completely pushed to the sideline, but a fry cook being the spokesperson wouldn’t be as relatable of an idea.

After the commercial’s filmed Don talks to Mr Krabs about making adjustments to the Krabby Patty’s formula to mass produce it and make more money, but the mouthwatering amount of digits they’re discussing clouds Krabs’ common sense and he accepts. SpongeBob is very much upset with the decision, but things only get worse as the Frozen Krabby Patties get their own production factory. It’s a busy yet soulless place where sand is used as filler to make the patties seem complete, and the testing area is rigged. A side effect is pointed out here, where the frozen burgers cause one’s own buns to expand. It’s a bit immature, but a cartoony way of showing side effects. At least they don’t get pimples or aneursyms like they would’ve 9 years ago.

When SpongeBob and Mr Krabs eventually get back to the Krusty Krab, Krabs informs SpongeBob that they won’t be cooking Krabby Patties anymore. Instead the Krusty Krab’s being converted into a museum, as it’s old news now. SpongeBob’s devastated by the news, getting fired for the sixth time in one season, but Squidward’s ecstatic, declaring his resignation and reading his overzealous memoirs. It’s dramatic and over-the-top, but it’s pure Squidward. As time goes on, SpongeBob gets less happy, Mr Krabs gets richer, Patrick more famous and the Frozen Krabby Patties are a phenomenon. It’s a good way to end the first half, with a lot of changes that you’d like to see undone.

Segment 400 begins with Patrick and his crew gearing up for his 400th commercial. I like this little nod to the fact the show’s now got roughly 4,400 minutes of material, though I’d question just how long a timeframe the story takes place across. If it’s years, most likely decades, then that’s worrying, but I digress. Patrick’s evidently grown tired of his stardom, as it means less hanging out with SpongeBob, and the Krabby Patties he eats for them keep tasting worse. Perhaps my favourite scene in the episode is where SpongeBob heads to Patrick’s new mansion for a party with ice cream in tow, but is pushed aside by all of Patrick’s new “friends”. It ends with his agent telling him that he’s a star, he doesn’t need friends, which while not true in this day and age, I can let slide for dramatic purposes. This scene isn’t that funny, but it shows how distant SpongeBob and Patrick have become.

SpongeBob’s job at the Krusty Krab museum remains miserable, with Squidward returning because his dreams can’t be achieved with just 17 years of cashier experience. I like how this is another nod, this one to the fact that this episode was produced 17 years after the show began airing. Even Plankton can’t find any joy in obtaining the secret formula anymore, as they’re being sold as souveniers. This is what you call depression, when all emotion’s sucked out of the room, even anger and dread. Plankton takes a Frozen Krabby Patty to go, and SpongeBob also eats one, only to find it tastes disgusting, due to it being filled with sand. I would’ve liked it better if Plankton analysed his Krabby Patty and came to that conclusion, as it would make his role in the episode more useful, but this is fine too.

After filming the 400th commercial, Patrick gets completely fed up with his fame and the horrible food he has to eat, and shoos everyone out of his lounge, before SpongeBob runs to his mansion and calls out to him. They reunite and SpongeBob tells him the patties are made of sand, and then gives his friend a real Krabby Patty. It’s such a sweet scene after how far the distance between them had gotten, and seeing Patrick’s friendship and faith in Krabby Patties restored is awesome. It makes him feel like he’s gone through something, and that SpongeBob’s a great friend for bringing him back to his senses. He has to choose what’s right for the Krabby Patty, so he spills the beans that they’re made of sand at the sales conference he attends. It’s the same plot element as in Selling Out, I’ll get that out of the way, but it’s got a new meaning and weight to it.

Because the truth’s now revealed, sales of the Frozen Krabby Patties plummet, Krabs and Don’s partnership’s broken, and everyone vomits the sand back out when they hear the news. Like many others, I consider it the worst scene in the episode, not just because it’s gross, but because it adds nothing except turning everyone’s butts back to normal. Things pick up again though for the ending, where Mr Krabs is shocked to see the Krusty Krab back in business. This is due to the warmth and taste of the original Krabby Patty and its formula, cooked for the past 200 episodes by SpongeBob SquarePants. 298 frozen patties later, I’ve gotta say this is a pretty big story. It feels like a great expansion of the Post-Sequel era’s identity into 22 minutes, having shades of mindless nonsense, but being character-driven and relatable. It just feels like they had a more elaborate story to tell, and they went through with it without resorting to using too much filler.

For such a big story, I’m glad that it’s filled with comedy. Listing all the jokes would be useless, but I’ll point out the ones that are my favourite, or benefit the story the most. I like SpongeBob picking Rocky Road ice cream at the start, because his friendship with Patrick has never been rocky, as if Naughty Nautical Neighbours, The Fry Cook Games and Yours Mine and Mine among others don’t exist. The Frozen Krabby Patties slogan “they taste so nice that they taste nice” is simple yet effective, and I like how the museum’s filled with animatronics. As for character jokes, Don Grouper and Squidward get them the best, with Don being so chill yet powerful and Squidward always getting the short end of the stick, yet not quite giving up hope on his future.

The running “yellow box” gag, where SpongeBob’s mistaken for a yellow box by the media, isn’t something I find as bad as other people do. It’s quite repetitive, but I like how these people see SpongeBob as nothing, and that’s what pushes him to hate his own creation. As for the jokes that aren’t very good, I’m not a fan of the “sandy cheeks” either. It’s pretty immature, and leads to one of the grossest scenes in Season 9b. While not really bad, I feel like a punchline was missing. Still, I’m impressed by the good jokes that this episode’s littered with. A good 22 minute story’s one thing, but making it fit the show’s tone is an extra treat.

With the animation and art direction, you can tell Factory Fresh wanted to be bigger and grander than a typical episode, and it works. Most of the newly-introduced rooms and buildings like the conference room, frozen patty factory and Patrick’s mansion are exquisite, with great colour combinations and enough characters to seem busy. Another thing that seperates it from other episodes in the first 9 seasons is the modern technology used. The conference room has a sci fi hologram projector (don’t pretend your business doesn’t have one), and there’s a gag where a baby uses a smartphone to go on social media. For such a business-centric episode, I’m good with it depicting business in the modern day. Besides, there was already a much smaller cell phone joke in Fear of a Krabby Patty, so there’s a mild sense that technology’s marching on. There is some mild gross-out with the sand-puking scene and SpongeBob and Patrick getting stung by jellyfish at the beginning, but they feel in-line with the Pre-Movie seasons.

As another character-driven episode, Factory Fresh nails many of its characters, especially Patrick. He’s the strongest link in the episode for me, as he has to deal with a world that slowly loses its glamour, and that makes him sad and nostalgic for his time with SpongeBob. It’s an emotional arc that I’m surprised fits his character. My second favourite character here is Don Grouper. Hamm really brought all his sophistication to the table here, as he can make anything sound cool and marketable. Sure he ditches Mr Krabs in the end, but that’s showbiz for you. It may sound nice, but it’s got consequences.

Also pretty good here is SpongeBob, as not only does he have to watch his work life crumble at the hands of big business, but he finds a way to restore everyone’s faith in the Krabby Patty, by cooking them right. It goes to show how capable he’s gotten as a fry cook, and as a fan of Krabby Patties. Squidward’s also got a lot of funny lines and jokes, even if he doesn’t contribute much to the story. I’m a bit iffy with Mr Krabs, as he tosses away everything he liked about the Krabby Patty for money, but it’s for more than 62¢. The digits are in double digits, it’s an unrealistic profit he’s turning over. Another character I don’t like but don’t mind is Plankton, because he just seems obligatory. Again, I would’ve been more sold in his personality and customs if he examined the frozen patty and found it full of sand.

I don’t ask for SpongeBob to be too serious or epic, but it’s more welcome for a special, a milestone celebration no less. I feel like the advertising pushed the intended impact of the episode too far though, which is why I’ll always call it Factory Fresh. The Krusty Krab and Krabby Patty aren’t even let go, they’re just reworked. Still, I think this is a really good example of a SpongeBob special. The story’s got weight to it, the jokes are plentiful and most of the characters have a purpose. They even snuck in a guest star without it feeling out of place. The second hundred episodes may be the show’s all-around worst in terms of quality and consistency, but it’s good to see it go out so well.

Final Verdict: Good 8/10 (an enjoyable if not mildly flawed episode)
License to Milkshake < Factory Fresh < The Sewers of Bikini Bottom

Question of the Day: Would you eat a Frozen Krabby Patty if it didn’t have filler?

Tomorrow’s episode is one I remember not being particularly nutmarish. Until then, congratulations on 200 episodes, SpongeBob!

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
While I ::dolphin noise::ing hate SB You're Fired with a blazing passion, Factory Fresh is the best 200 episode special in the history of the series. The sand puking scene is my most favorite of them all.

EmployeeAMillion said:
Question of the Day: Would you eat a Frozen Krabby Patty if it didn’t have filler?
Not even close. I mostly prefer both the original Krabby Patty and in real life,the fire-grilled burgers, like Burger King. It's better with FIRE!

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
EmployeeAMillion said:
I don't think so. Microwavable burgers don't seem like the best idea in the first place.

hippythehippo

Banished
I think around Sold was when I noticed the quality boost drastically. The episode itself is one of my favorites of the Season. Classic Sponge-Pat-Squid trio, along with some great humor. One of the strangest plots for a cartoon episode I have ever seen, but it works great here.
QOTD maybe

Ehhhh, not too huge on Lame and Fortune. Episode is alright, the plot is kinda interesting, some funny jokes, but it feels very generic and forced. Do love Karen's crack at their marriage tho.
QOTD Well since I know how you sound (from your yt vids), that's pretty much the voice that comes to my mind when I read your reviews (pls join sbc if your quiting here)

Goodbye Krabby Patty is really good, one of the better specials of the show (not like it's much of a contest lol). Patrick is so likeable and good here, it was a genius move to make him the spokesperson for the Krabby Patty. I feel it gets dragged down a bit for not focusing to much on the little details, along with feeling like Selling Out, but it is still very fun story.
QOTD If it's vegetarian

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Sandy’s Nutmare (Season 9, Episode 23a)
Original Airdate: July 12 2016
Episode 382 in standard order, Episode 381 in airing order
Plot: Sandy fertilizes her tree using science, but she and her friends run into sage advice to better themselves
Written by Andrew Goodman

[titlecard]201A[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Aloha Bikini Bottom

As we enter the 200s, the episodes just get more and more familiar, though I don’t know how I think of them. When I watch new SpongeBob episodes, it’s usually for the thrill of it. I turn my critical side off and just enjoy it for what it is, an enjoyable animated series. Looking at these episodes critically will be a new experience, as I don’t quite remember what I liked and disliked about them. This is an episode that I found fun, but pretty forgettable compared to what came before it, but it’s seen as another solid Season 9b episode, now with a deep meaning. Can that propel the episode into being much good?

The story opens with SpongeBob, Patrick and Sandy having Krabby Patties for lunch in Sandy’s treedome, a surprisingly new opening for the show. SpongeBob and Sandy fight over the last Krabby Patty the only way they know how, through karate, though the force starts knocking some twigs and leaves off Sandy’s house, which remember is a tree. I like how they finally address the tree, and make a story around it. The tree’s starting to suffer because of a lack of fertility, so Sandy tries to science up a solution. Although common sense should tell her to get some fertilizer from Texas, and she does so after things go wrong for science, I’m sure they meant the idea to be that she can do this by herself without the help of other mammals. I’m just a but conflicted because of the easy ending, but try not to think too hard about it at this point.

Sandy cooks up a few different fertilizing liquids, the first 3 of which fail, and the last of which succeeds with flying colours. Not only do the test subject and tree grow large, but they make tons of acorns. This eventually becomes a “nutmare” for Sandy, as she can’t store all the nuts. This is the only time in the episode that the chaos of having too many nuts is the focus, so I think the episode could’ve had a better title, or a more consistent premise honestly. Sandy asks SpongeBob to help get rid of them, but a shalmon stops him and gives him sage advice. I’m a bit conflicted on the shalmon and his role in the episode. On one hand, his voice, design and eccentricities take some getting used to, but I like his lines and the mystery surrounding him.

The Shalmon tells SpongeBob that he and Sandy should use the nuts they already have as a thanks to nature, and they make some nutty butter out of it. It’s not that odd of a choice for them to make a variation of peanut butter, and the scenes of them making it and selling it to their first customers are some of the episode’s best. It’s a bit too silly due to Patrick and him getting the Bikini Bottomites to lick it off his back, but it’s a comfy and chill progression seeing the acorns turn from a nutmare into a fortunut miracle.

It’s a shame things have to go south though, as Sandy strains her tree to its limits, using machines to suck the life out of it to make more nutty butter, almost causing it to die. Like Squirrel Record, this is an example of Sandy overdoing science and not thinking about the consequences, though it’s admittedly less freaky here because she’s doing it for other people and their craving for nutty butter. The Shalmon comes into the dome and tells her and her friends a parable of the sun, moon and star, personified by SpongeBob, Squidward and Patrick. Essentially, the star got burnt out having to chase the Sun and Moon all the time, so it exploded into countless stars filling the night sky. It’s a decent parable with nice animation, a few good laughs and a clear moral of needing supply to meet demand. So Sandy gets some dirt from Texas for her tree and the Shalmon leaves Bikini Bottom. It’s an odd story that doesn’t have much closure, but I’m happy with the ideas and lessons it teaches.

I have to say, I laughed at this episode’s jokes, but not all of them are that great. It leans more on over-the-top visual gags, and is a sign of what’s to come in the next 2 seasons, but it does a good job at subtly preparing you for it. SpongeBob and Sandy fightin over the last Krabby Patty with their countless arms, and a kid going hungry without Nutty Butter are pretty funny, and make the episode seem entertaining, what isn’t as funny are some of the less mature jokes, like SpongeBob using a telescope to peer at the Shalmon’s garden, when it’s just an extreme close-up of his armpit hairs, and Patrick frantically making Nutty Butter by chewing acorns and spitting them into a jar. I get that there needs to be a balance in the two styles the episode wants to present, a haromious yin and yang of sorts, but it can feel bipolar at times.

Another thing that makes this feel like an early Season 10 episode (in a fairly good way) is the animation. It’s got that good old “unclean” vibe that’s been missing from the show for a while, making the gross-out more charming and less in-your-face. I’m not that good at analysing armpit hairs, but the Shalmon’s look nice. As for the rest of his design, it’s a bit out-there for my tastes, but it fits in making him look like a well-meaning weirdo. The jellyfish on his head is a nice touch, and I don’t mind/do admire that he doesn’t need a helmet in the treedome. The story he tells is also well-animated, with a unique aesthetic to the show, and it’s surreal enough to be otherworldly but not unsettling. What else can I say? The visual gags work when the jokes are funny, the tree’ss different states make it come alive (or nearly dead), and the Nutty Butter just looks like peanut butter, so not much to comment on there.

With such a simple yet crazy story, the characters are all over the place quality-wise, so I’ll start with the Shalmon (that may or may not be how you spell it, but I’m going with it because it looks like salmon). He’s entertaining, wise and has a distinctive voice that I also swore was Roger L. Jackson (Mojo Jojo). Eric Bauza definitely added something distinct. SpongeBob and Sandy are a but more enjoyable for me though. They’ve got a nice chemistry, and since they’re the ones who learn the fragility of nature, it’s more interesting seeing them use the tree to its advantage, then give it a break. Patrick feels like he’s just here to fill time. Most of his jokes aren’t funny, and he causes more of the imbalance between immaturity and seriousness. I wouldn’t totally skip out on all his scenes, but I feel like a different writer was in charge of him.

In summary, while not an especially entertaining episode, Sandy’s Nutmare really makes you think. It deals with the themes of taking things for granted, the acorns, the Nutty Butter, the tree which provides both, even the idea of a treedome to acclimated fans. It’s all about thanking the world for what you’ve got, and I can see it leaving a positive impression on parents who want to see something of substance in SpongeBob for the life of them. While not without its problems and tonal inconsistencies, this feels like another episode that had heart placed into it, which when you make ~40 of these a year, has gotta mean something.

Final Verdict: Good 7/10 (solid but not top notch)
It Came From Goo Lagoon < Sandy’s Nutmare < Sold!

Question of the Day: Would you try Nutty Butter, lard and all?

I’m going to take another break again, this board’s just getting out of hand.

Back