Popeye's Top 30 Worst SpongeBob Episodes Ever (with some honorable mentions)

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Spongetron Robotpants said:
*applauses* Wow great list, Popeye. Hope you'll do more of these. :)
Thanks! Much appreciated.

When I actually have some more time, I'll get started on posting the honorable mentions. Stay tuned.

And with that out of the way, here's the first honorable mention I wanna talk about a bit because I alluded to it in my review of "Squid Wood."

2.png

For something that's supposed to be disturbing, I felt bored the entire time watching this. Seriously, there aren't many jokes here and some of the scenes take too long but the thing that honestly makes this more tolerable for me than "Squid Wood" was that in a way, Squidward actually kinda wins at the end. He gets to sleep in the replica of his house that SpongeBob made as a way for Squidward to actually visit him while SpongeBob just sleeps outside with Gary. That's probably the best part about the episode here and it didn't try to be as stupid and mean spirited as "Squid Wood" did after rewatching this again. I even think SpongeBob wasn't trying to deliberately trying to make Squiddy's life miserable like he tried to in that episode but that's just my interpretation of this. Not saying this episode is good or anything which I still don't think it is, but yeah.

Anyway, I'll probably try to have some more honorable mentions up. Don't feel like posting about them all at once and I kinda still wanna do it the way I did with my other reviews due to college and stuff.

SpongeRoadie UK said:
Brilliant. Although I kinda expected the top 2. But, I can't blame you. These are really poor episodes.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I never thought I'd get to this point because doing the reviews themselves can take me a little while to do. I actually had to go back and rewatch all these episodes I talked about (except A Pal for Gary, but I have no interest in watching that episode again ever) just to be sure I knew what I wanted to say and also try as hard as I could to look at these in my own way rather than trying to copy someone else. Also I think the truly bad episodes on my list really start with "Sponge-Cano" in terms of me reacting strongly to them. The other ones are either mediocre (for me), boring, or stupid yet a lot of the other stuff on the countdown I talked about was like that too but worse and in a much greater degree. I'd say like 90% of this list was really boring to try to watch.

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
30. Good Neighbors, Tentacle Vision and Cephalopod Lodge The first and third episodes are guilty pleasures. The second one, however, I agree with. Poor Squidward. :(
29. Squid Baby I'm surprised at how bad this is, yet I can tolerate it, despite it parodying the "love" for adults in babies' diapers.
28. Gullible Pants I don't remember this one.
27. Professor Squidward BORING!
26. Sponge-Cano! Ugh... I despise this episode, mainly for the slap in the fact ending.
25. The Play's The Thing Again, BORING! Also, it's a rehash of Culture Shock.
24. A Day Without Tears This one was meh. The crying's less unpleasant to listen to than All That Glitters, at least.
23. Night Light There's a difference between being a child at heart, and acting like literal 3 YEAR OLDS.
22. All That Glitters Stupid stupid stupid...
21. Squid Wood For me, this is actually the worst Squidward Torture Episode. It may not physically abuse him or kick him out of his own house, but it literally REPLACES him with a PUPPET and everyone seems to enjoy that!
20. Penny Foolish To me, this is creepy, but not horrible. I've seen worse performances by that red penny-pincher (Spongebob You're Fired).
19. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy Mean, hypocritical, and RACIST!
18. Pet or Pests DEEEEEAAAUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
17. The Cent of Money I used to despise this one, but now I like it, mainly for the fact that Spongebob finally gives a barnacle about Gary, and Krabs gets his comeuppance (THANK YOU).
16. Yours Mine and Mine New Patrick. I HATE you......
15. The Main Drain Stupid, boring, and nonsensical.
14. Trench Billies This... creeps me out a little. Good choice.
13. Summer Job Way to dump on Krusty Love, writers!
12. Rodeo Daze (same as my thoughts on The Main Drain)
11. Hide and Then See What Happens This one was mediocre, but I wouldn't put it this high, honestly. I can see why several people would, though.
10. Dear Vikings I don't remember this one.
9. The Clash of Triton WORST SPECIAL EVER!!!
8. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob Second to worst special ever!
7. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom Patrick enters the concert out of nowhere to mess up Squidward's best night ever. DOES HE HOLD A GRUDGE AGAINST HIM OR SOMETHING?
6. Choir Boys Ugh... This really annoyed the heck out of me the first time I saw it. I'm glad it's on the list. Also, that face The Cubic Creeper makes disgusts me.
5. Stuck in the Wringer Again, New Patrick. I hate you.... I also hate the message it gives. Not the "Crying solves your problems" message, the other one that implies that you are a bad person if you call someone out for screwing up your life (Seahorse Seashell Party, much?).
4. To Love a Patty I really don't think it's that bad anymore. I thought it was creepy, but I find the obsession more amusing than disturbing.
3. Boating Buddies and Shuffleboarding The first one's okay. It had a few funny moments at least. The second one, however, ticks me off a LOT.
2. One Coarse Meal I know Plankton is the villain, but he really didn't deserve to be scared to the point of contemplating SUICIDE!
1. A Pal For Gary Worst episode ever, and it always will be.

I like this list. :) Besides a few disagreeable choices (To Love A Patty, The Cent of Money, that's it), I thought it was good.

Thanks for commenting Gordok! Really glad you liked it. I'm so glad I did this list because I'm really able to see what kind of things tend to bother me about the bad episodes and it's pretty interesting to me that other people are able to interpret some of these episodes differently than I did. I tend to be really bothered by bad storytelling, off characterizations of characters, mean spirited kind of humor, Mr. Krabs shoving his greed down my throat, shoehorned Patrick, and bad animation is one of my biggest pet peeves ever in any cartoon I watch, with some exceptions here and there. Also even with some of these bad episodes I talked about, there was always at least one thing I could like about them, at least until we got to the stuff after "Stuck in the Wringer" amazingly enough so I tried my hardest to give even the bad episodes credit where credit is due to be fair.

Kerdem

Banished
Excelent List IMO.My Only Problem Demolition Doofus Wasn't In It.I Guess You Don't Hate It.But Still Great List.

Kerdem said:
Excelent List IMO.My Only Problem Demolition Doofus Wasn't In It.I Guess You Don't Hate It.But Still Great List.
Don't worry. That one's gonna be one of the honorable mentions when I get around to it. It left me so conflicted when I first watched it and I can see why a lot of people think it's a pretty messed up episode.

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
30. Good Neighbors, Tentacle Vision and Cephalopod Lodge - Cephalopod Lodge is the worst of the three. I hate that one so much. Tentacle-Vision is okay, but I hated the ending. Good Neighbors is meh.
29. Squid Baby - I don't have to say much about this one, but I always think this episode wasn't funny. It is not awful, but not a good one.
28. Gullible Pants - Squidward was a jerk in this one, SpongeBob was annoying and the Bikini Bottomies weren't good either.
27. Professor Squidward - Boring, stupid and annoying. SpongeBob and Patrick were also unlikeable in this one.
26. Sponge-Cano! - Mediocre. The Squidward Abuse was terrible, but Squidward was annoying in this one at least.
25. The Play's The Thing - I get bored when I watch this episode, and the ending is horrible.
24. A Day Without Tears - A meh episode. SpongeBob's crying isn't as annoying as it was on All That Glitters and I laughed at some parts.
23. Night Light - This one was meh, but SpongeBob and Patrick were annoying and the fight scene was terrible.
22. All That Glitters - Bottom 10 worthy. SpongeBob's crying is very annoying and it makes my wanna close my ears with pillows. Le Spatula is also one of the worst one-time SpongeBob characters.
21. Squid Wood - This episode is mean-spirited, cruel and annoying. I always felt bad for Squidward.
20. Penny Foolish - Mr. Krabs shows to be greedier than any other episode he appeared.
19. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy - The Bikini Bottomies' hypocrisy in this one is cruel, but the SpongeBob part was fine by me. However, I felt bad for Sandy in this one.
18. Pet or Pests - The worms are disgusting and SpongeBob was a weirdo in this one.
17. The Cent of Money - Mr. Krabs was a jerk in this episode, but he got some comeuppance at least. SpongeBob cared about Gary in this episode, not like he yelled at Gary and didn't cared about him in the horrific episode, A Pal for Gary.
16. Yours Mine and Mine - Patrick's worst moment is shown in this episode. He is a selfish jerk in this episode and doesn't let SpongeBob to hold the toy for a second. The moral is horrible, too.
15. The Main Drain - My least favorite Legends of Bikini Bottom episode. It makes no sense whatsoever.
14. Trench Billies - I don't have tho say that much about this one, but those trenchbillies look disturbing.
13. Summer Job - The writers ruined Kruff, and the ending makes no sense. How SpongeBob can teach Mrs. Puff, when he doesn't have a drivers licence yet?
12. Rodeo Daze - This episode is stupid with full of mean-spiritedness, but the song was okay.
11. Hide and Then See What Happens - This episode makes me sleep and the writers forgot the Wormy episode.
10. Dear Vikings - It is boring, but it had some funny moments like the Olaf joke, and the writers also forgot the Bubble Buddy episode.
9. The Clash of Triton - My least favorite special, with full of boredom and unlikeable characters.
8. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob - The main characters besides SpongeBob were unlikeable at the beginning. However, Squidward was worse in this episode. This special was a disappointment, with full of mean-spiritedness and unlikeable characters.
7. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom - This one isn't as bad as many people say, but it is still not a good one, because the Squidward abuse was terrible, Patrick came to the concert out of nowhere, and the ending was one of the most mean-spirited endings in the show. However, SpongeBob wasn't that bad in this episode.
6. Choir Boys - This episode is x1,000,000 worse than Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom. Squidward's dream was ruined by SpongeBob in this episode.
5. Stuck in the Wringer - I won't call Patrick a jerk in this episode, but he was stupid in this episode. However, I really hate this one, too. Another problems in this episode are the Bikini Bottomies which are hypocrites and the SpongeBob abuse was terrible to watch. I felt bad for SpongeBob in this episode.
4. To Love a Patty - This episode is disgusting. Do I need to say anything else?
3. Boating Buddies and Shuffleboarding - I hate both of them, but Shuffleboarding is the worst of the two making two of the main characters unlikeable, the title is misleading, SpongeBob and Patrick arrest the Bikini Bottom citizens for no reason and didn't get any comeuppance whatsoever. For Boating Buddies, it is one of my least favorite Squidward abuse episodes and they make SpongeBob creepier than in some episodes like Squid's Visit.
2. One Coarse Meal - My least favorite episode. This episode makes me wanna kill Mr. Krabs, making Plankton to commit suicide, Karen doesn't listen to Plankton, SpongeBob betraying Plankton, and the nightmare scene was disturbing. In fact, the writers executed the nightmare scene in InSPONGEiac way better than in this epipsode.
1. A Pal for Gary - I hate this episode so much. I don't need to say about this episode much, because we all know SpongeBob was a moron in this episode, Puffy Fluffy's design is ugly and the Gary abuse is horrible. I always felt bad for Gary when he gets abused, because he's the only main character to not have any OOC moments. My second least favorite episode.

A great list with many agreeable choices, though.

Honorable mentions of the day. Will probably do two a day and if I have more time and am in a good mood, you might see a third one posted. I'm not close to being done here so stick around. :)

2.png

This episode for me was just "Squeaky Boots" but done with slide whistles. Nothing much I could actually say here and I can see why the slide whistles would get annoying for a lot of people but if it wasn't for that ending, I don't think this episode would get as much hate from others. I really don't like the ending to this episode either but at the same time, most of it was really mediocre and forgettable anyway. I still like the hidden joke with the crowd where you can hear one of the fish yell that Squidward's gonna pay with interest. That honestly made me laugh every time I watched the ep. Also worth nothing is that this is supposedly one of Tom Kenny's favorite episodes along with "The Card" and "Toy Store of Doom."

554.png

I've watched this one several times and for some reason it honestly really didn't bother me nearly as much as "A Pal for Gary" but at the same time, I'm still conflicted about this episode as a whole and really I found it quite mediocre too. On one hand, I like how SpongeBob wasn't so oblivious and stupid in this episode and the plot itself compared to APG was a lot more acceptable for me but the one thing that I can really see a lot of people had a problem with was that part where SpongeBob's pineapple started to flood with water and it's after Patrick did all that stuff to Gary thinking that it would take care of him. He suddenly gets happy after that and I couldn't figure out if that was an actual plothole or not. After watching the episode a third time, I can assume that the water itself was enough to cheer Gary up or something like that and that's what the writers intended that scene to be for. Bottom line, never leave your pets at home with Patrick. He'd probably be too dumb to know what he was doing and that's another reason why this ep doesn't get more hate from me.

Also I actually kinda appreciate that the writers at least made some kind of effort to correct some of the major problems that A Pal for Gary had although it didn't turn out quite perfect by any means.

hashslingingslasher3 said:
I actually like SWS. PSP is pretty bad though.
Thanks for posting. These are honorable mentions for a reason though. I don't think any of the ones I chose are good and they still had problems too but they had worse competition in my eyes.

I kinda like PSP but maybe I should watch it again to see, If I still like that one. SWS is a guilty pleasure of mine. For some reason I prefer that one over Squeaky Boots.

SB_DW_Fan said:
I kinda like PSP but maybe I should watch it again to see, If I still like that one. SWS is a guilty pleasure of mine. For some reason I prefer that one over Squeaky Boots.
Interesting. For me, Squeaky Boots was a whole lot more memorable because of the cool animation it had. And for PSP, I really wanted to hate it much more but as of now, I just don't and I'm trying to be as honest as possible with my opinions.

By the way, I watched PSP again and realized that It wasn't godd as I remembered.It's still a lot better than APFG but PSP will be on my list as well (not on bottom 20 though).

Mantis

killer queen best stand
I guess I should be happy that nether The Great Snail Race or I'm With Stupid were not put on the list.

Spongetron Robotpants said:
I guess I should be happy that nether The Great Snail Race or I'm With Stupid were not put on the list.
Those episodes never ever bothered me. Ever. Not when I first saw them or when I'd watch SpongeBob reruns as a kid. I understand why there are people who dislike them but I'm just not that kind of person at all.

And before I get started on some microeconomics homework, here are two more entries. Enjoy.

42.png

This episode is probably the weirdest episodes I've ever seen on this show and from what I can remember, it was mostly pretty boring and mediocre. Yet another Aaron Springer credited episode as well but in my initial review of this episode, I did say I kinda liked the opera scene here. I don't feel like rewatching this episode again so I don't really have much say here again.

556.png

This was another episode I was really really conflicted on especially when I first saw it. The part where Mrs. Puff was thinking about killing SpongeBob with that tombstone scene was pretty screwed up and even scared me when I watched it but at the same time, there were other parts I kinda did like about the episode. I guess it's a bit more of a believable situation that after all the pain and suffering Mrs. Puff has been through in all those boating focused episodes that she would get tired of having to deal with SpongeBob at some point. Upon rewatching this episode a few more times, the shock value wore off for me and I found myself mostly pretty bored trying to watch this, especially with the lack of funny jokes in this. Similar problems as "Squid's Visit."

As promised, here are two more honorable mentions.

1.png

This episode I found pretty boring and forgettable for the most part. Patrick was pretty stupid in this episode for not being that aware of what his sister who has a pretty grotesque design was trying to do. Also, there was an episode where Patrick said he didn't have a sister so the plot itself makes no sense. Only a few points behind "Tentacle Vision" in that it could have been at least a borderline mediocre episode had those not been so much of an issue. Compared to other Patrick episodes that have made it onto my countdown, I didn't find it as annoying as those so that's why I didn't put this episode on the list.

3.png

This is the worst of the Spongebob shorts IMO and the stupidest one of all too. I briefly mentioned this episode in my review of "Squid Baby" because I think this episode's stupidity is on the same level as that episode but it's thankfully a lot shorter so there was honestly less of that stupidity to sit through. The plot's pretty ridiculous and the joke with that Whatistoya guy was really stupid too. I couldn't even take what happened to Squidward seriously here and after all, he was the idiot who kept stealing those wallets so yeah. I would not recommend this episode in any way if you wanna see a good episode from Season 5.

Great list.

Shuffleboarding and Boating Buddies are both awful.
I hate One Coarse Meal and A Pal For Gary a lot.
Squid's Visit is extremely boring.
Slide Whistle Stooges is very annoying.
I hate Pet Sitter Pat.
Squidward's School For Grownups is one of the worst season 8 episodes.
Demolition Doofus is as well.
Big Sister Sam and Good Ol Whatshisname can kill themselves.

Back