Nick Animation Studios behind-the-scenes week

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HGdVpTB43w

They talk mainly about new shows in the promo but there's also a few glimpses of SpongeBob. I'm not sure what the deal is now that the series is on hiatus (Are the SpongeBob crew making the movie from Nick studios or do they have a special movie studio somewhere else?) but there's a chance they might show some behind-the-scenes for SpongeBob so it's probably worth checking out.

The Tide and Seeker

Balloon Traveler
BAD SHOW ALERT! BAD SHOW ALERT!

tumblr_m9t31sX4ER1qgcra2o1_500.gif

AlexaStar

Floating Shopping List
Yeah, I bet they all thought that clip was REALLY funny. :I

Either way, it looks horrible.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
New SpongeBob clip! :pattongue:

It's only been one day and they've already been behind the scenes of a bunch of different shows. Maybe we will get a couple of different segments?

Cha

I love SBM
I like how the people at the end laugh. Because laughing at SpongeBob's sorrow is a great thing.

TropicalNards112233

Krabby Patty Burglar
I'm just glad that a couple of Nick's new shows are 2D instead of 3D. And that clip honestly looks like a step backwards for season 9. Then again, the promos for nearly every S9 episode have been horrible, and the episodes themselves have turned out great. So I don't know what to expect. But those Nick Studio 10 kids make me want to tear off my ears. I can't stand that horrible fake laughter and dialogue they had with the "Spongebob Expert".

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
I called it right! SpongeBob was a pretty big crybaby in that clip... welp, my interest level has been brought down by a huge margin. If the special isn't good, I will go on to say that they could of done so much things to make it good. We'll see though. But that clip isn't funny and the fact they're laughing at it makes me question them.

I know though, they could of made that a more heartfelt moment in that clip. Like instead of trying to make it humorous, cue that sad music and just have SpongeBob standing there with a blank confused look, feeling sad inside. But nah, it's all got to be dumb humorous moments that feel rushed. Stuff likes this makes me cringe at SpongeBob more and more, makes me think of him less of a great character. What has gone so wrong, it truly does makes me quite sad. I know this is a kids show, but why does it have to be 100% comedy? To me, that's not a great show. Even ''Have You Seen Gary?'' had more emotion in it than this clip. When you can connect with the characters and relate, that makes a good show. I think they could of done that scene a bit better and hopefully (but I doubt it) that the rest of the special is way better than that clip. We'll see though...

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
BubbleBud said:
I called it right! SpongeBob was a pretty big crybaby in that clip... welp, my interest level has been brought down by a huge margin. If the special isn't good, I will go on to say that they could of done so much things to make it good. We'll see though. But that clip isn't funny and the fact they're laughing at it makes me question them.

I know though, they could of made that a more heartfelt moment in that clip. Like instead of trying to make it humorous, cue that sad music and just have SpongeBob standing there with a blank confused look, feeling sad inside. But nah, it's all got to be dumb humorous moments that feel rushed. Stuff likes this makes me cringe at SpongeBob more and more, makes me think of him less of a great character. What has gone so wrong, it truly does makes me quite sad. I know this is a kids show, but why does it have to be 100% comedy? To me, that's not a great show. Even ''Have You Seen Gary?'' had more emotion in it than this clip. When you can connect with the characters and relate, that makes a good show. I think they could of done that scene a bit better and hopefully (but I doubt it) that the rest of the special is way better than that clip. We'll see though...
I dunno. Blank/feeling sad inside wouldn't be very in character, since SpongeBob has always been very open with his emotions, and being fired is one of the few circumstances where it's actually justified. Look at the other times he was fired (Karate Choppers, Squid On Strike) ... he was a mess.

I do kind of agree with you though. I think the trouble is that they didn't push it very far in either direction. Direction #1 being either oblivious or internally sad and #2 being complete meltdown. He's just stood there crying; there's no wacky body language or sight gags. Still, it's only a short clip. It might be better in context (I hope).

PS: Regarding the laughing kids, they were obviously just told to laugh and I doubt they actually saw the clip (it was a similar situation for all the sneak peaks) so I wouldn't read too much into it.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
DadMom AngryPants said:
I dunno. Blank/feeling sad inside wouldn't be very in character, since SpongeBob has always been very open with his emotions, and being fired is one of the few circumstances where it's actually justified. Look at the other times he was fired (Karate Choppers, Squid On Strike) ... he was a mess.

I do kind of agree with you though. I think the trouble is that they didn't push it very far in either direction. Direction #1 being either oblivious or internally sad and #2 being complete meltdown. He's just stood there crying; there's no wacky body language or sight gags. Still, it's only a short clip. It might be better in context (I hope).

PS: Regarding the laughing kids, they were obviously just told to laugh and I doubt they actually saw the clip (it was a similar situation for all the sneak peaks) so I wouldn't read too much into it.
Over-crying like that is not his character ether, in my opinion. Showing realistic emotions is his character, however. In Home Sweet Pineapple, when his house was destroyed and he almost had to move, he never acted like a overly crybaby, he kept his emotions under control and it felt real to me, not like a comedic point for laughs. Patrick was the one who overreacted but SpongeBob didn't. I mean if he was fired and shown that his life tears apart, okay, but he always finds happiness. In Missing Identity, he didn't overly cry while he lost his name tag, which was very important to him. In Can You Spare a Dime?, he even kept his feelings under control until the end where he got fed up with it and got mad at Squidward & Mr. Krabs. In those episodes he wasn't that open with his emotions as in overly crying, he could keep his emotions under control. The way they played this off though, I feel, was just for laughs. A comedic point. I want to connect with SpongeBob losing his job, not laugh at his pain. I think he should of kept it under control, a little bit. It would be so much better if it was actually meant to be a heartfelt moment, that would make for a memorable episode. That's just me though. I don't mind SpongeBob crying, if it feels real to me... if it's just pointless crying like it was in that clip, then it makes me cringe. And the way he cries in that clips is a big turn off.

And yeah, it just felt lifeless to me. Like it was meant for laughs, it wasn't very heartfelt. I hope the same for the rest of the special. But like I said, my interest level has gone down by a huge margin.

I kinda thought the same about the laughing kids.

Cha

I love SBM
I do agree they could have done without the gags there. We don't know how long that firing scene will be. Hopefully they will have more heartfelt in the episode. I hope he doesn't just go straight to working at another place. I know he will do so but I hope he gets time to really reflect on his life.

Back