Nick Animation Studios behind-the-scenes week

AlexaStar

Floating Shopping List
Yeah, that clip is case-in-point for why I no longer feel for SpongeBob in post-movie episodes. They play EVERYTHING for laughs, and when they do that, they seriously lower the quality of the episode. :/

Ugh.

Cha

I love SBM
I would expect something like from the first movie but even greater.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YmlHnb_Ptng

Oh the possibilities they COULD have done if this was in the second movie. But we still don't know what else lies in store for this special.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
BubbleBud said:
Over-crying like that is not his character ether, in my opinion. Showing realistic emotions is his character, however. In Home Sweet Pineapple, when his house was destroyed and he almost had to move, he never acted like a overly crybaby, he kept his emotions under control and it felt real to me, not like a comedic point for laughs. Patrick was the one who overreacted but SpongeBob didn't. I mean if he was fired and shown that his life tears apart, okay, but he always finds happiness. In Missing Identity, he didn't overly cry while he lost his name tag, which was very important to him. In Can You Spare a Dime?, he even kept his feelings under control until the end where he got fed up with it and got mad at Squidward & Mr. Krabs. In those episodes he wasn't that open with his emotions as in overly crying, he could keep his emotions under control. The way they played this off though, I feel, was just for laughs. A comedic point. I want to connect with SpongeBob losing his job, not laugh at his pain. I think he should of kept it under control, a little bit. It would be so much better if it was actually meant to be a heartfelt moment, that would make for a memorable episode. That's just me though. I don't mind SpongeBob crying, if it feels real to me... if it's just pointless crying like it was in that clip, then it makes me cringe. And the way he cries in that clips is a big turn off.

And yeah, it just felt lifeless to me. Like it was meant for laughs, it wasn't very heartfelt. I hope the same for the rest of the special. But like I said, my interest level has gone down by a huge margin.

I kinda thought the same about the laughing kids.
Not really understanding your logic here. While I too want more emotion in the episodes, SpongeBob was never one to show realistic emotions, especially now. SpongeBob is basically Overreaction: The Character. When he was fired in Karate Choppers (a Season 1 episode), all he did was run around and cry. The only difference here is that SpongeBob was nowhere near as animated in that clip. In Missing Identity, he didn't cry about losing his name tag, no, but he did overreact by hyperventilating and screaming "POR QUAAAAA" before passing out. It's not that he wasn't open with his emotions in "Missing Identity" or "Can You Spare A Dime", but it just doesn't make sense for SpongeBob to cry over losing his nametag or over Squidward being a jerk. Hyperventilating and screaming, though, definitely. In every Season, every characterization, SpongeBob overreacts to situations because it's what he does and who he is. Fools In April is the only episode where SpongeBob being sad was ever really played seriously, and the show never took that route again until the movie and Where's Gary. As for your Home Sweet Pineapple analogy- Keep in mind that the SpongeBob in Season 1 is a very different person from what he is now, and by mid-Season 2 he had already changed into a more nuanced version of what we have now. The Season 1 Bob is a whole different gorilla compared to Season 9 Bob.

I'm really not seeing what the difference is in any of those situations. If anything, SpongeBob crying here is better than in those examples because SpongeBob going totally insane and strangling Mr. Krabs ("Dime") and passing out because he lost his name tag ("Identity") are much less realistic than SpongeBob crying over his job. His job is his life, of course he'd cry over it. The only problem I saw with the clip is, as DMAP said, they didn't push it far enough in one direction. It wasn't funny, but it wasn't sad. It was just there. Him crying just....happened. Now, if that was your problem with the clip, it'd make sense. But saying that over crying isn't in SpongeBob's nature? That's just not right. :p

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
Jibbix said:
Not really understanding your logic here. While I too want more emotion in the episodes, SpongeBob was never one to show realistic emotions, especially now. SpongeBob is basically Overreaction: The Character. When he was fired in Karate Choppers (a Season 1 episode), all he did was run around and cry. The only difference here is that SpongeBob was nowhere near as animated in that clip. In Missing Identity, he didn't cry about losing his name tag, no, but he did overreact by hyperventilating and screaming "POR QUAAAAA" before passing out. It's not that he wasn't open with his emotions in "Missing Identity" or "Can You Spare A Dime", but it just doesn't make sense for SpongeBob to cry over losing his nametag or over Squidward being a jerk. Hyperventilating and screaming, though, definitely. In every Season, every characterization, SpongeBob overreacts to situations because it's what he does and who he is. Fools In April is the only episode where SpongeBob being sad was ever really played seriously, and the show never took that route again until the movie and Where's Gary. As for your Home Sweet Pineapple analogy- Keep in mind that the SpongeBob in Season 1 is a very different person from what he is now, and by mid-Season 2 he had already changed into a more nuanced version of what we have now. The Season 1 Bob is a whole different gorilla compared to Season 9 Bob.

I'm really not seeing what the difference is in any of those situations. If anything, SpongeBob crying here is better than in those examples because SpongeBob going totally insane and strangling Mr. Krabs ("Dime") and passing out because he lost his name tag ("Identity") are much less realistic than SpongeBob crying over his job. His job is his life, of course he'd cry over it. The only problem I saw with the clip is, as DMAP said, they didn't push it far enough in one direction. It wasn't funny, but it wasn't sad. It was just there. Him crying just....happened. Now, if that was your problem with the clip, it'd make sense. But saying that over crying isn't in SpongeBob's nature? That's just not right. :p
I disagree with you on so many levels except for one thing, that he isn't the one to show realistic emotions NOW. Yeah, I agree with that. I do also agree that Season 1 SB and Season 9 SB is different. Season 9 SB is a shadow of Season 1 Bob and completely went the wrong direction, in my opinion. In my opinion, SpongeBob matured over the course of those first three seasons. To me, that was great character development. And why shouldn't it matter? I've seen the Sponge cry over other pointless things in recent seasons, why not something as stupid as his name tag or being overly angry over Squidward being a jerk? He's doesn't though. Because, in my opinion, SpongeBob was just a better character then. To me. Have You Seen This Snail? is a great episode because of that route they took, I should say. To me, that's what makes an episode memorable. And I can not relate Season 2 SB to what we have now in any way. In my opinion, SpongeBob grew as a likable character during the course of those first three seasons. Yeah, I like Season 4 and half of Season 5, but I think the growing kinda stopped after Season 3. The character development was at it's highest during the course of the first three seasons, and sort of heading into the movie.

That's the thing though, Jibbix. To me, those moments feel more realistic. SpongeBob wasn't blank when giving those emotions. SpongeBob felt more real to me, when he got angry at Mr. Krabs and Squidward. The way they pulled that off was awesome. That clip though was lifeless to me. I wouldn't mind him crying, like I said before, if it was felt more real. If the tone of his crying wasn't annoying. The crying clip felt more of a comedic point than anything. To me, it felt like it was *trying* to be funny but it failed for me... I think it would of been better if they took the serious realistic route. If this upcoming special is just comedy like this, that would be disappointing for me, because it's a waste of an special. How can I relate to that? How could I connect to that? It just seems stupid the way they did it. They could of made it where he haves a shocked sad face after Mr. Krabs lets him go gently (to not hurt his feelings so bad), then it could show SpongeBob walking out of the Krusty Krab with tears in his eyes... but did they have make it where Mr.Krabs acted like a jerk and did all of that comedic stuff to him and then having him cry so lifeless just to get a laugh? No. I disagree. Again, it's just a clip and I reserve full judgement until the special is out. This special can be memorable and I hope it is. They made it a comedy point and that's disappointing. They could make this special a memorable special like ''Have You Seen This Snail?'', which would be great.

Lifeless over-crying , in my opinion, is not in his nature. In my opinion, his ''nature'' changed over the course of years for the worse to me. This clip was nothing like the way I remembered him and Season 9 Bob does not relate to Season 2 Bob for me. I'm sorry, but I just disagree with you. I respect your opinion though and your view, I think some of your views are very good and I can understand your points on your side of the fence. But I just don't agree with them.

Over-reacting to things doesn't have to be bad if they do it in a serious route. But I don't think that's a key point in the SpongeBob I loved. I think it's a key point for him now.

And the clip above with him walking into the sunset, feeling hurt inside because he didn't get the position, is a good way to do it. The way they did it in this clip, was silly, in my opinion. Two completely different things and I don't quite enjoy it...

tvguy347

thissitesux12
I don't know who's to say what's in SpongeBob's nature, and what's not. His emotions are very erratic, if you take a closer look. Some of the time, he's completely immune to things he previously would've cried about. He flips out over simple things, yet has (for nine seasons) been resistant to the dislike Squidward's had for him. I think there should be a clean balance between emotion and comedy in the show because that's the kind of show this is... it has heart and it has humor. As of right now, Season 9 Bob is returning to the way he was in Season 1. He was just fired, I don't think it's really "over crying" in this situation.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
Legalize Dylan said:
I don't know who's to say what's in SpongeBob's nature, and what's not. His emotions are very erratic, if you take a closer look. Some of the time, he's completely immune to things he previously would've cried about. He flips out over simple things, yet has (for nine seasons) been resistant to the dislike Squidward's had for him. I think there should be a clean balance between emotion and comedy in the show because that's the kind of show this is... it has heart and it has humor. As of right now, Season 9 Bob is returning to the way he was in Season 1. He was just fired, I don't think it's really "over crying" in this situation.
I disagree on some points. I think SpongeBob has shown good enough to keep his feelings under control before. Another problem though, is continuity... but that's for another rainy day. And in my opinion, Season 9 Bob is not returning to the way he was in Season 1. I don't buy into that, at all. I'm not going to argue, because it's all opinions. It's not really fact that he's returning to his previous self, it's how people sees him. I think it's cool that you see that, but I don't. Like for me, SpongeBob felt more stable then than now. Actually, I've seen where people said it every season (even Season 6), but I just never see it.

And just fired or not, it still felt lifeless. It needed to have more thought into the situation. Like I said, the clip felt more of a comedic point than something heartfelt. I think it should have a clean balance between emotion and comedy too, but here's the thing... that clip had none of that balance. That's the kind of show it is now, that relies on pure comedy, in my opinion. Mr. Krabs was a jerk in that clip. The format is different now than before, to me. They could of made that clip more memorable. I still think it's over crying in this situation because it doesn't feel real to me. It's trying to get laughs. I think that clip should be trying to tug on heartstrings, make it a memorable moment in SpongeBob history. This is a big thing, SpongeBob losing his job and in my opinion, it should be treated as such. Hopefully the complete special actually has that clean balance, which seems to be missing for me, here lately.

tvguy347

thissitesux12
BubbleBud said:
I disagree on some points. I think SpongeBob has shown good enough to keep his feelings under control before. Another problem though, is continuity... but that's for another rainy day. And in my opinion, Season 9 Bob is not returning to the way he was in Season 1. I don't buy into that, at all. I'm not going to argue, because it's all opinions. It's not really fact that he's returning to his previous self, it's how people sees him. I think it's cool that you see that, but I don't. Like for me, SpongeBob felt more stable then than now. Actually, I've seen where people said it every season (even Season 6), but I just never see it.

And just fired or not, it still felt lifeless. It needed to have more thought into the situation. Like I said, the clip felt more of a comedic point than something heartfelt. I think it should have a clean balance between emotion and comedy too, but here's the thing... that clip had none of that balance. That's the kind of show it is now, that relies on pure comedy, in my opinion. Mr. Krabs was a jerk in that clip. The format is different now than before, to me. They could of made that clip more memorable. I still think it's over crying in this situation because it doesn't feel real to me. It's trying to get laughs. I think that clip should be trying to tug on heartstrings, make it a memorable moment in SpongeBob history. This is a big thing, SpongeBob losing his job and in my opinion, it should be treated as such. Hopefully the complete special actually has that clean balance, which seems to be missing for me, here lately.
I think several Season 8 episodes show Season 1 Bob. Ghoul Fools, Planet of the Jellyfish, Home Sweet Rubble, The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom, just to name a few... while I respect your opinion, I don't see how any fan of the show can't see the distinctive transformation SpongeBob has made from Season 1/2/3 Bob to Season 4/5/6/7 Bob, now back to a character that closely resembles Season 1/2/3. Like I said, there should be a clean balance between emotion and comedy, but I don't think trying to get laughs is really a bad thing, per se. I'd rather be the humor in the show be in top form rather than emotion be in top form. I watch SpongeBob to laugh, not cry.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I think being able to view what's next for Nick was a great idea. And, "SpongeBob, You're Fired!" looks promising. Like I said before, season 9 just gets more and more interesting. Oh, and I'm glad Nick is taking a break from adding CGI shows to their line-up. It's starting to get annoying.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
Legalize Dylan said:
I think several Season 8 episodes show Season 1 Bob. Ghoul Fools, Planet of the Jellyfish, Home Sweet Rubble, The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom, just to name a few... while I respect your opinion, I don't see how any fan of the show can't see the distinctive transformation SpongeBob has made from Season 1/2/3 Bob to Season 4/5/6/7 Bob, now back to a character that closely resembles Season 1/2/3. Like I said, there should be a clean balance between emotion and comedy, but I don't think trying to get laughs is really a bad thing, per se. I'd rather be the humor in the show be in top form rather than emotion be in top form. I watch SpongeBob to laugh, not cry.
Like I don't see how any fan of the show can see that transformation. I've seen most of those episodes, they don't remind me of Season 1 Bob. I don't see how it's another golden era. To me, Season 8 or Season 9 Bob doesn't feel like Season 1 Bob, that much. Nobody can really changed my mind on that and yeah... I did give a lot of episodes a chance, but no, sorry. The humor still seems different and a lot of characters still feel flawed for me. Is SpongeBob better than he was in Season 6 or perhaps 7? Yeah, of course. To me, he is. I liked how SpongeBob was in Safe Deposit Krabs... matter fact, I enjoy that episode. The other episodes just don't hold up to me. If all the fans saw this transformation that you mention, it would be really boring, in my opinion. Again, I just don't see it. That's me though.

And you watch SpongeBob for a different reason then. Yeah, but in my opinion, it was a terrible way to get laughs and it failed for me. It also seemed to fail for several others. You like the humor? That's awesome, good for you to find that enjoyment. But I enjoy this show for different reasons and aspects. My favorite episodes showed a nice balance and in my opinion, it makes for an memorable episode. I like the comedy aspect of it too, when it doesn't come off as lifeless or forced to me. This clip was not funny, although it felt like they tried to get laughs. It just felt lifeless and kinda forced. It would of been better if they made that clip a little bit more touchy and caring, so it could of been a more memorable scene, in my opinion. Plus, the humor they mostly used now, I don't really find it that funny. So yeah, of course I would prefer for the emotion to be top form than the comedy. But I admire you for your opinion and if it makes you happy, good! You just like the show for different reasons than I do, no problem with that. If we were all the same, this forum would get pretty stale. :P

Web Surfer

Banished
BubbleBud said:
Even ''Have You Seen Gary?'' had more emotion in it than this clip.
I'm not sure whether you're saying Where's Gary? was too based on humor, or if you were comparing them because they were both post-movie episodes. Either way, it works for me.

But yeah. The puns were sorta funny, but it felt a bit soulless, especially for an episode where Spongebob legitimately gets fired. Plus, I hate it when they get him to cry instead of making him express his emotions in a less annoying way. Hopefully, the episode will feature more of the latter.

Back