Jokes You Don't Get

11th

Moby Dollar
Ugly Barnacle said:
I never understood what Squilliam meant in Band Geeks when he said to Squidward on the phone "I hope they bring lots of...ibuprofen"
I know ibuprofen is a pain reliever, but what did he mean? That his band was going to get injured?

He was insinuating that Squidward's band's music was going to be so bad that the audience would get a headache from it.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
OneHungryHippo said:
Paraphrasing here.

"I'm flattered".

"What? I don't smell anything."
I didn't understand this one either until we had a similar "jokes you don't get" topic a while ago and somebody explained it.
I still don't really get it, to be honest. I understand what the joke is supposed to mean now but I have to manually explain it to myself every time.

SarahGiraffe

Giant Clam
In Plankton's Army, when Mr. Krabs flushes Plankton, and says, "And now for the chaser.", I didn't understand what he meant at first, but now I assume he meant he was gonna use the toilet and flush whatever he did in there to "chase" Plankton, lol. Does that sound right? Or am I still wrong?

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
In Plankton's Army, when Mr. Krabs flushes Plankton, and says, "And now for the chaser.", I didn't understand what he meant at first, but now I assume he meant he was gonna use the toilet and flush whatever he did in there to "chase" Plankton, lol. Does that sound right? Or am I still wrong?
well now you know

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Woah, a decade-old bump. That's crazy.

I think the "Too loose, Lautrec" joke from "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost" was a little too niche, as I still don't understand what it's referencing (though I can easily look it up now, I suppose).

FryBob PattyPants

Semi-Anthropomorphic Sponge
I never understood what Squilliam meant in Band Geeks when he said to Squidward on the phone "I hope they bring lots of...ibuprofen"
I know ibuprofen is a pain reliever, but what did he mean? That his band was going to get injured?
He said that he hoped the audience brought a lot of ibuprofen, as in he believed the concert would be so horribly bad that they'd need it.

FryBob PattyPants

I never really got why the fish on Goo Lagoon were reacting so hard to the "Ripped Pants" joke that Spongebob cracked virtually a million times. The first time, yes, it would've been funny in some sense. But the times after that, I would just think Spongebob lost it or something--if I was in the fishes' position.

FryBob PattyPants

I also never got the joke in "Krusty Koncessionaires" where Squidward said "Food. I'm a mindless drone with food...working for the man." while passing the food out in that rich mansion. I understood the "mindless drone part, but not the whole "working for the man" thing until I realized Squidward was talking about how robots and drones are created for compulsive servitude to man. So I understand the joke well now, but I didn't really before.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I also never got the joke in "Krusty Koncessionaires" where Squidward said "Food. I'm a mindless drone with food...working for the man." while passing the food out in that rich mansion. I understood the "mindless drone part, but not the whole "working for the man" thing until I realized Squidward was talking about how robots and drones are created for compulsive servitude to man. So I understand the joke well now, but I didn't really before.
That's actually not exactly what Squidward means by "working for the man" (though this is an interesting interpretation that kind of fits what I'm about to say?). "The Man" is typically understood as "the establishment"—typically corporations and industry and figures of authority. There's a wikipedia page on the phrase here, it's pretty barebones though.

FryBob PattyPants

That's actually not exactly what Squidward means by "working for the man" (though this is an interesting interpretation that kind of fits what I'm about to say?). "The Man" is typically understood as "the establishment"—typically corporations and industry and figures of authority. There's a wikipedia page on the phrase here, it's pretty barebones though.
Thanks dude!

Nathan Shetka

Balloon Traveler
I never got the coin slot joke from Scooter in My Pretty Seahorse at all. when I first saw that scene in that episode as a kid, I was like, “I don’t think I get it.” “this is crazy.”

FryBob PattyPants

I don't get that joke in the first movie where Spongebob says Your fly is down to Squidward what does it mean?
"Your fly is down" is a common term used between friends (mostly for males) when one is trying to tell the other that their pants are unzipped and that they should--evidently--zip them. The term itself isn't a joke, but the fact that Squidward doesn't have pants in the first place is.

Back