Have the accusations of SpongeBob cancelling other shows stopped?!

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
I'm sure everyone knew about this...Some people always blamed SpongeBob for cancelling other NickToons such as:

-Rugrats (it was already losing popularity)
-Invader Zim
-Danny Phantom
-Jimmy Neutron

Do you think that if the Fairly OddParents has their official series finale, do you think that some of the fans will bash SpongeBob and blame him for ending it?

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
Rugrats wasn't losing major popularity. The ratings were declining, yeah, but merchandise still sold. Was it as popular as SpongeBob at the time, no, let's be realistic... SpongeBob was more popular than Rugrats. But it was popular enough to not be canceled, in my opinion. It should have stayed on Nick a little bit longer. Why you automatically call out Rugrats, I don't know? SpongeBob also has had decline in ratings, as well as Fairly OddParents.

But I do agree with you. I never blamed Rugrats, or any other NickToon's cancellation on SpongeBob. It's silly how they claim it. It just happens.

I do wish Nickelodeon will go back to the idea of multiple Nicktoons, not just one dominating cartoon.

And when FOP ends? I doubt it, FOP came on after SpongeBob and it's lasting nearly as long. It could happen though, I do not know. Great topic though.

hfjs

What I think is all those Nicktoons were cancelled, because after three or four seasons, the shows lose their flavor. Rugrats, though, got ,majorly popular during the first three seasons, which give it it's long run, helped up by the many possible scenarios you could put these babies into. Rugrats was probably cancelled because it started to decline, or Nickelodeon thought it had ran long enough, so they just cancelled it. Spongebob was just doing it's thing. It could be the reason, though..........

Spongeo

Professional Mayo Player
Well first some of them are older than SB so may have lost popularity with the audience and second the reasons why Invader Zim had a short run was because some parents probably thought it was a bit scary for children to watch. But, I believe SB did cancel other toons because since SB ran a long time and a lot of people love SB more than any other show and the other shows would basically loose audience and end the run.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
Spongeo said:
Well first some of them are older than SB so may have lost popularity with the audience and second the reasons why Invader Zim had a short run was because some parents probably thought it was a bit scary for children to watch. But, I believe SB did cancel other toons because since SB ran a long time and a lot of people love SB more than any other show and the other shows would basically loose audience and end the run.
What is so bad about Nick having multiple Nicktoons? So what if one show doesn't have as good ratings as the dominate cartoon... Doesn't mean nobody likes that show.

If it has steady ratings, appeals to the crowd, and steady profits... why cancel it? Nick needs more Nicktoons on the channel, in my opinion. Good cartoons.

Spongeo

Professional Mayo Player
What is so bad about Nick having multiple Nicktoons? So what if one show doesn't have as good ratings as the dominate cartoon... Doesn't mean nobody likes that show.

If it has steady ratings, appeals to the crowd, and steady profits... why cancel it? Nick needs more Nicktoons on the channel, in my opinion. Good cartoons.

Oh I did not mean to say that there should be less nicktoons I want more I am just saying that some are not as popular ad others which caused them to get cancelled.

Sorry for confusion!

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
BubbleBud said:
Rugrats wasn't losing major popularity. The ratings were declining, yeah, but merchandise still sold. Was it as popular as SpongeBob at the time, no, let's be realistic... SpongeBob was more popular than Rugrats. But it was popular enough to not be canceled, in my opinion. It should have stayed on Nick a little bit longer. Why you automatically call out Rugrats, I don't know? SpongeBob also has had decline in ratings, as well as Fairly OddParents.

But I do agree with you. I never blamed Rugrats, or any other NickToon's cancellation on SpongeBob. It's silly how they claim it. It just happens.

I do wish Nickelodeon will go back to the idea of multiple Nicktoons, not just one dominating cartoon.

And when FOP ends? I doubt it, FOP came on after SpongeBob and it's lasting nearly as long. It could happen though, I do not know. Great topic though.
I agree...but they have more variety now because they show SpongeBob a little less...however, I really think that they are trying to make SpongeBob the "Mickey Mouse" of Nickelodeon because the show is still successful and the ratings actually went up. :coolio:

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
TheOneAndOnly543 said:
I agree...but they have more variety now because they show SpongeBob a little less...however, I really think that they are trying to make SpongeBob the "Mickey Mouse" of Nickelodeon because the show is still successful and the ratings actually went up. :coolio:
I think it's cool you have that faith in Nickelodeon to have a mascot, maybe Cartoon Network will also if you're lucky. But honestly, at the end of the day, we just don't know what the plans are. We don't know if Nick is trying to make SpongeBob a mascot or not. If it does become a mascot, I'll be disappointed. The concept of Nicktoons were better in my opinion. Time will tell. Now, I don't think SpongeBob will become a mascot... but I don't know. We'll see, I guess.

And Sanjay & Craig is now a strong competitor for the Sponge. Pretty similar ratings from what I saw... even beat SpongeBob in K6-11. Nick also has three other Nicktoons that have ratings over 3 million. Anything can happen to SpongeBob, the ratings for SB could still go down in upcoming months, as for the other shows. We don't know.

The debut of S&C nearly brought in 4 million viewers... I think it's gonna stay a little while and compete with SpongeBob. Very similar ratings on the debut.

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
BubbleBud said:
I think it's cool you have that faith in Nickelodeon to have a mascot, maybe Cartoon Network will also if you're lucky. But honestly, at the end of the day, we just don't know what the plans are. We don't know if Nick is trying to make SpongeBob a mascot or not. If it does become a mascot, I'll be disappointed. The concept of Nicktoons were better in my opinion. Time will tell. Now, I don't think SpongeBob will become a mascot... but I don't know. We'll see, I guess.

And Sanjay & Craig is now a strong competitor for the Sponge. Pretty similar ratings from what I saw... even beat SpongeBob in K6-11. Nick also has three other Nicktoons that have ratings over 3 million. Anything can happen to SpongeBob, the ratings for SB could still go down in upcoming months, as for the other shows. We don't know.

The debut of S&C nearly brought in 4 million viewers... I think it's gonna stay a little while and compete with SpongeBob. Very similar ratings on the debut.
Well, actually, Bugs Bunny is *technically* the mascot of Cartoon Network, since it was made by Warner Bros.

And I don't understand why you would be upset...SpongeBob could just be 1 of Nickelodeon's mascots, not the main one. Look at Nintendo for example. Even though Mario is the head of Nintendo, Pikachu, Luigi, and some others are mascots of Nintendo as well. ;)

Even though Sanjay and Craig did beat SpongeBob in ratings for right now, other shows did too. The Fairly OddParents, iCarly, Penguins of Madagascar, etc...SpongeBob is the type of show that takes a break from the spotlight so to speak, letting other shows receive their "15 minutes of fame." That happened to all of those shows, but SpongeBob came back into the limelight to stay on top. I think it's a good idea of refreshing SpongeBob so that people won't get completely sick and tired of him, thus making the show last longer! :rofl2:

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
I find blaming one show for the demise of another illogical. If a show declines, it's because of something going on within itself, not with it's competing sister shows on the network.

Rugrats of course, had quite a long run, and by the time SB premiered it was huge. Fact: they are the only Nicktoon to get a Hollywood Walk of Fame star. And it reached its prime. It created 3 movies, had a spinoff, and finally burned out. That doesn't mean SpongeBob was the cause of it. It just ran its course. And one day. SpongeBob will do the same. That doesn't mean we can blame shows like Big Time Bogus or Marvin Marvin for it. Or that new Sanjay and Craig show. Heck, I'll just admit it now, the only reason I watch Nick is because of SpongeBob.

cwn

Porous Freak

No, S&C won't live much longer. For example, Legnd If Korra had ratings higher than Spongebob, Robot And Monster surpassed the sponge, Fanboy and Chum Chum passed Spongebob, and where did they end up? Critics are (obviously) judgmental, I believe Nick is paying the critics for higher ratings. I don't know anyone in to groos-out humor, so I think it's run is almost over already.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
cwn said:
No, S&C won't live much longer. For example, Legnd If Korra had ratings higher than Spongebob, Robot And Monster surpassed the sponge, Fanboy and Chum Chum passed Spongebob, and where did they end up? Critics are (obviously) judgmental, I believe Nick is paying the critics for higher ratings. I don't know anyone in to groos-out humor, so I think it's run is almost over already.
Except, S&C appeals to the masses. You should take a tip and make it clear that YOU think it won't live much longer. I think it will, does it mean it will? No. I don't see the future. I'm not a fortune teller unlike you are.

You believe Nick is paying the critics?...
conspiracy-theory-meme-300x300.jpg

And I know a ton of younger people who like gross and stupid humor. In my opinion, it's probably the reason why SpongeBob is still on.

TheOneAndOnly543 said:
Well, actually, Bugs Bunny is *technically* the mascot of Cartoon Network, since it was made by Warner Bros.

And I don't understand why you would be upset...SpongeBob could just be 1 of Nickelodeon's mascots, not the main one. Look at Nintendo for example. Even though Mario is the head of Nintendo, Pikachu, Luigi, and some others are mascots of Nintendo as well. ;)

Even though Sanjay and Craig did beat SpongeBob in ratings for right now, other shows did too. The Fairly OddParents, iCarly, Penguins of Madagascar, etc...SpongeBob is the type of show that takes a break from the spotlight so to speak, letting other shows receive their "15 minutes of fame." That happened to all of those shows, but SpongeBob came back into the limelight to stay on top. I think it's a good idea of refreshing SpongeBob so that people won't get completely sick and tired of him, thus making the show last longer! :rofl2:
I never considered Bugs Bunny to be the mascot of Cartoon Network though. Plus, I'm not sure a company like Viacom would enjoy a mascot. We know Disney has one... but does The Hub? (That's a honest question by the way)

So you are saying multiple mascots for Nickelodeon? See, I support that. I actually wouldn't mind that.

But here is the thing... we don't know if Sanjay & Craig will remain or not. It could actually keep getting high ratings and last longer than 15 minutes of fame. I think S&C appeals to the mainstream crowd. I don't like it... but I think it's here to stay. We'll see though. :p SpongeBob can't last forever, I don't think it can go as long as The Simpsons. Networks could change over the course of three years, meaning, they could change their minds and cancel The Simpsons. Who knows, I do not know. We really will just have to wait and see.

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
BubbleBud said:
Except, S&C appeals to the masses. You should take a tip and make it clear that YOU think it won't live much longer. I think it will, does it mean it will? No. I don't see the future. I'm not a fortune teller unlike you are.

You believe Nick is paying the critics?...
conspiracy-theory-meme-300x300.jpg

And I know a ton of younger people who like gross and stupid humor. In my opinion, it's probably the reason why SpongeBob is still on.

I never considered Bugs Bunny to be the mascot of Cartoon Network though. Plus, I'm not sure a company like Viacom would enjoy a mascot. We know Disney has one... but does The Hub? (That's a honest question by the way)

So you are saying multiple mascots for Nickelodeon? See, I support that. I actually wouldn't mind that.

But here is the thing... we don't know if Sanjay & Craig will remain or not. It could actually keep getting high ratings and last longer than 15 minutes of fame. I think S&C appeals to the mainstream crowd. I don't like it... but I think it's here to stay. We'll see though. :p SpongeBob can't last forever, I don't think it can go as long as The Simpsons. Networks could change over the course of three years, meaning, they could change their minds and cancel The Simpsons. Who knows, I do not know. We really will just have to wait and see.
Yes S&C does appeal to the masses...even though I like that show...But SpongeBob still appeals to the masses too, appealing for more than 10 years (and counting).

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
TheOneAndOnly543 said:
Yes S&C does appeal to the masses...even though I like that show...But SpongeBob still appeals to the masses too, appealing for more than 10 years (and counting).
Completely right, I agree. SpongeBob does indeed appeal to the masses. That's why I think both shows will strongly compete each other.

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
BubbleBud said:
Completely right, I agree. SpongeBob does indeed appeal to the masses. That's why I think both shows will strongly compete each other.
Yay! We FINALLY agree on something, haha. :p :shades:
But even though I still love The Fairly OddParents, I think that their competition with SpongeBob is just about done. The Fairly OddParents might get a spin off once it ends however, but I don't think that will last long. @_@

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
TheOneAndOnly543 said:
Yay! We FINALLY agree on something, haha. :p :shades:
But even though I still love The Fairly OddParents, I think that their competition with SpongeBob is just about done. The Fairly OddParents might get a spin off once it ends however, but I don't think that will last long. @_@
I've agreed with you on several things, I just didn't point them out. :P While I think FOP is just as good as SpongeBob is now (that's not saying much for both shows, for me), I don't know why Nick has kept it going this long. Maybe it's a bright future for FOP. Who knows?

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
BubbleBud said:
I've agreed with you on several things, I just didn't point them out. :p While I think FOP is just as good as SpongeBob is now (that's not saying much for both shows, for me), I don't know why Nick has kept it going this long. Maybe it's a bright future for FOP. Who knows?
True, true...but I strongly doubt that FOP will last longer than SpongeBob...I agree with the others. SpongeBob has a much more stable fan base than FOP. The way I see it...SpongeBob's fan base is like failed liposuction/Jenny Craig, hahaha!!! :rofl2: :p Someone loses some weight...but they gain more than they lost. So in comparison, when SpongeBob loses some fans, he always ends up gaining MORE fans than he lost. :w00t: Isn't that awesome?!! It doesn't matter what age you are, even though kids and teens make the most of the SpongeBob audience right now, SpongeBob is still amazing.

It's not the same with FOP or even Rugrats, however. They kept losing more fans than gaining. FOP though MIGHT have a turn around, since it's still on, but the future of it doesn't look as bright as it does for :solute: .

Just for clarification in this discussion: FOP will NOT last longer than SB. We can't guarantee things, but it is almost guaranteed.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
TheOneAndOnly543 said:
True, true...but I strongly doubt that FOP will last longer than SpongeBob...I agree with the others. SpongeBob has a much more stable fan base than FOP. The way I see it...SpongeBob's fan base is like failed liposuction/Jenny Craig, hahaha!!! :rofl2: :p Someone loses some weight...but they gain more than they lost. So in comparison, when SpongeBob loses some fans, he always ends up gaining MORE fans than he lost. :w00t: Isn't that awesome?!! It doesn't matter what age you are, even though kids and teens make the most of the SpongeBob audience right now, SpongeBob is still amazing.

It's not the same with FOP or even Rugrats, however. They kept losing more fans than gaining. FOP though MIGHT have a turn around, since it's still on, but the future of it doesn't look as bright as it does for :solute: .
Now this, I do not agree on.

Back