66. Dunces and Dragons

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
Alex Squarepants said:
Ok, im going to make a whole lot of you very, VERY mad , but i dont like this episode. I dont think its bad, but at the same time, its not very fun to watch either. I really wanted to like this but I am just not in to this episode like all the rest of you. Why dont I love this episode like everyone else? Well, I didnt find a whole lot of jokes very funny. I'll admit I did get a couple laughs out of me, but thats it, only a couple, but the rest of the jokes aren't funny. I come to watch spongebob for the humor, but I didn't really laugh a lot in this episode. Also, the characters are bland too. Overall this episode is just a big mess. I am very sorry to say this but this gets a...

4/10

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to hide in the corner while the rest of you bash on me.
Yeah, I have the same opinion as you, it's not a very funny episode to me, actually I laughed more in the first half of Have you seen this snail?

Birds858

Floating Shopping List
I really liked Dunces and Dragons but i still don’t get it why and how Spongebob and Patrick go back in time and suddenly land on a mediaval Bikini Bottom without any explaination ? And mostly, what happens to Squidly after he’s accidentally went on the present Bikini Bottom at the end of the episode ?

I love this episode to pieces. As a fan of medieval stuff (I play Gardens of Time a lot) I can really appreciate this episode. Not only was this episode really funny, it also told an amazing story and Squidly's songs are great. This episode is fantastic, and it can definitely compete with the first 3 seasons.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. The Lost Mattress (A)
3. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
4. Skill Crane (A)
5. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
6. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
7. Selling Out (B)
8. Shell of a Man (C)
9. Funny Pants (D)
10. Good Neighbors (E)

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
Squidly was terrible in this and I really hate this special. 2/10
Gawd, he was amazing in it.<333 Watching this episode all the way back in January of this year made me love Squidly and medieval times. He was always a great character along with this great episode. Maybe it is a little short, but I gotta give them points for a great scenery. The yellow skies are probably my favorite part. Seriously what is there else to say about it? It's one of my favorite specials and even though it felt a little short, it was quality. I also liked the Medieval Moments parody of Medieval Times. I've actually been to MT a few years ago, so it warms my heart. It's a great way to start an episode. The names for the characters were great, even Princess Pearl and King Krabs. PP and KK heh, plus a king crab is a real type of crab.

Overall 9.5/10
Joke review funny

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
Yeah, I have the same opinion as you, it's not a very funny episode to me, actually I laughed more in the first half of Have you seen this snail?
Those are some unfunny jokes if you laughed more in the saddest episode ever made!

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This. This is my favorite special of the entire series. Everything in here is perfect, from the story, to the visuals, to the characters to the comedy; just EVERYTHING. I really wouldn't be doing it justice trying to explain it here, so I'll leave you with this: If you haven't seen this episode yet, I implore you, do it NOW :)

Perfect episode (10/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)

2. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
3. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
4. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
5. Selling Out (8)
6. Shell of a Man (7)
7. The Lost Mattress (7)
8. Skill Crane (7)
9. Funny Pants (6)
10. Good Neighbors (4)

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I really like Dunces and Dragons. It is a very good special. 9/10.

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I don't think I need to state why this special is phenomenal. Lemme just summarize it in simple, non-fluent english. Story good. Atmoshere good. Conflict good. Ending good. Characters good. Most importantly, comedy gold.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
PERFECTION! PURE PERFECTION RIGHT HERE MY GOOD FRIENDS! THE JOKES WERE AMAZING! THIS EPISODE WAS ALSO ACTION-PACKED!

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Not me already getting behind on my season 4 schedule for the month...let's see how much I can fix that. Today we're here with "Dunces and Dragons", a very popular episode that I...somewhat agree with the majority on. Let's talk about it!

First off, this episode is just weird. Like the plot is weird lol. Like we get no explanation for anything that happens in this episode and I can appreciate that. But the part of me that overthinks everything does not lol. But we're not listening to that part of me today.

This special is pretty funny. I think the best joke for me was that part at the very beginning where the worker literally wanted to k!ll himself, like that's dark as H and also extremely relatable for workers who are forced to do embarrassing things for the job. Also the whole setting of this episode, as in the setting in the modern day, I'm wondering if it's just a spoof on that Medieval Times restaurant. I still own the plastic cups I got from there the one time I went. Do I remember much else from that visit? No lol, but I remember the cups. Speaking of spoofs, I guess I should say that I recognize that the title of this episode comes from Dungeons & Dragons. I've only played D&D a couple times before, not my type of game.

I love how SpongeBob and Patrick are basically immediately thrown into a dungeon, which is where we meet the medieval version of Squidward! Or Squidly, as he's called here. It's funny to watch this isekai episode because I've been playing The Cosmic Shake these last few days, and that game is like this episode but with a bunch of different worlds lol. Anyway...Squidward being a jester is something I didn't realize I needed. Also I love how a giant jellyfish is a dragon in this world. This episode does a great job of immersing us in the medieval environment (while skillfully taking us out of it for comedic moments with SpongeBob and Patrick). Like they even make a lot of the jokes fit for the time as well. I'm thinking of when Pearl tells Mr. Krabs "think of your blood pressure! You wouldn't want another leech treatment, would you?". I also love how when the duo realize they're in medieval times, Patrick's like "oh no I think I left the water running at home" lol. I really like jokes like that for some reason.

Mr. Krabs and Pearl being king and princess, respectively, is also something I didn't realize I needed to see. Pearl inclusion in an episode is always a win (not because I love her character necessarily, but because she is a main character and so it is nice to see her being treated as such). I love how Squidly is such a little menace in this episode too, especially when he starts trolling the king with his song. Why Squidly thought that would be a good idea, I don't know, as it sends all three of them to the guillotine lmao. Also I love how when SpongeBob is trying to plead their case, Patrick just deadpans like "idk what to add man", that was pretty funny. Patrick being a source of deadpan humor is something both unexpected and hilarious when done correctly and sparingly.

Anyway, from here the episode really gets rolling. I love the whole bit about SpongeBob and Patrick kicking themselves out. And then we get a real D&D-type segment as the heroes gear up for their adventure. I love that Karen is a crystal ball, and Plankton is a wizard in these medieval times. The coughing bit with Plankton is decently funny as well. And then we move onto probably my favorite medieval character aside from Squidly, Sandy! Who in these times is a knight, which I think is pretty cool. Her fight against SpongeBob is pretty fun, and I love how it ends with SpongeBob's powder self literally choking her. The part where she just turns into a stock image of a squirrel is hilarious. I love how out of all the medieval characters, Sandy is the one that speaks the most stereotypically old English. I wonder if that's because in the normal show, she's the only one with a certain speech pattern (other than Mr. Krabs, who keeps his pirate speak in this episode), so they were like "let's give her a speech pattern here as well!" Either way, I think it's cool and it makes her stand out. Anyway, this segment of the episode really makes me think of D&D as Sandy joins their party in the quest.

I love the part where Sandy sneaks everyone in, you can tell Carolyn Lawrence had fun recording that bit of dialogue. And then a little later, the slight at Squidly (calling him royal doofus) is pretty funny. The stair segment reminds me of that one part in Kung Fu Panda 2. Ah, that was a good movie. I need to rewatch it.

Anyway, I love the final battle against Plankton. That joke with the water is hilarious if only for the delivery of "sike-eth!" And I love how the dragon is "defeated" with the chekov's krabby patties from earlier. And I love how it's Squidly's terrible playing that ends up getting SpongeBob and Patrick flung back to the present. The ending stinger of the episode is highkey the most memorable part of it all to me. Like every time I think of this episode, without fail I will hear that little sound from Squidly's clarinet after being crushed by Patrick. Just hilarious.

So earlier I said I "somewhat agree with the majority" about this episode. What I meant by that is that although I think this is a really good episode, part of my "Amazing" tier, I think it tends to be overrated. I think the reason this episode is overrated is because it's in season 4, where many people lose their minds and talk about how this is the beginning of the end for SpongeBob, so whenever an episode is really good like this, they blow it out of proportion. At least that's how I see it. But like I said, this still is an excellent episode that I have no problems with, so it's definitely in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episdoe Score: 9.2/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Not me already getting behind on my season 4 schedule for the month...let's see how much I can fix that. Today we're here with "Dunces and Dragons", a very popular episode that I...somewhat agree with the majority on. Let's talk about it!

First off, this episode is just weird. Like the plot is weird lol. Like we get no explanation for anything that happens in this episode and I can appreciate that. But the part of me that overthinks everything does not lol. But we're not listening to that part of me today.

This special is pretty funny. I think the best joke for me was that part at the very beginning where the worker literally wanted to k!ll himself, like that's dark as H and also extremely relatable for workers who are forced to do embarrassing things for the job. Also the whole setting of this episode, as in the setting in the modern day, I'm wondering if it's just a spoof on that Medieval Times restaurant. I still own the plastic cups I got from there the one time I went. Do I remember much else from that visit? No lol, but I remember the cups. Speaking of spoofs, I guess I should say that I recognize that the title of this episode comes from Dungeons & Dragons. I've only played D&D a couple times before, not my type of game.

I love how SpongeBob and Patrick are basically immediately thrown into a dungeon, which is where we meet the medieval version of Squidward! Or Squidly, as he's called here. It's funny to watch this isekai episode because I've been playing The Cosmic Shake these last few days, and that game is like this episode but with a bunch of different worlds lol. Anyway...Squidward being a jester is something I didn't realize I needed. Also I love how a giant jellyfish is a dragon in this world. This episode does a great job of immersing us in the medieval environment (while skillfully taking us out of it for comedic moments with SpongeBob and Patrick). Like they even make a lot of the jokes fit for the time as well. I'm thinking of when Pearl tells Mr. Krabs "think of your blood pressure! You wouldn't want another leech treatment, would you?". I also love how when the duo realize they're in medieval times, Patrick's like "oh no I think I left the water running at home" lol. I really like jokes like that for some reason.

Mr. Krabs and Pearl being king and princess, respectively, is also something I didn't realize I needed to see. Pearl inclusion in an episode is always a win (not because I love her character necessarily, but because she is a main character and so it is nice to see her being treated as such). I love how Squidly is such a little menace in this episode too, especially when he starts trolling the king with his song. Why Squidly thought that would be a good idea, I don't know, as it sends all three of them to the guillotine lmao. Also I love how when SpongeBob is trying to plead their case, Patrick just deadpans like "idk what to add man", that was pretty funny. Patrick being a source of deadpan humor is something both unexpected and hilarious when done correctly and sparingly.

Anyway, from here the episode really gets rolling. I love the whole bit about SpongeBob and Patrick kicking themselves out. And then we get a real D&D-type segment as the heroes gear up for their adventure. I love that Karen is a crystal ball, and Plankton is a wizard in these medieval times. The coughing bit with Plankton is decently funny as well. And then we move onto probably my favorite medieval character aside from Squidly, Sandy! Who in these times is a knight, which I think is pretty cool. Her fight against SpongeBob is pretty fun, and I love how it ends with SpongeBob's powder self literally choking her. The part where she just turns into a stock image of a squirrel is hilarious. I love how out of all the medieval characters, Sandy is the one that speaks the most stereotypically old English. I wonder if that's because in the normal show, she's the only one with a certain speech pattern (other than Mr. Krabs, who keeps his pirate speak in this episode), so they were like "let's give her a speech pattern here as well!" Either way, I think it's cool and it makes her stand out. Anyway, this segment of the episode really makes me think of D&D as Sandy joins their party in the quest.

I love the part where Sandy sneaks everyone in, you can tell Carolyn Lawrence had fun recording that bit of dialogue. And then a little later, the slight at Squidly (calling him royal doofus) is pretty funny. The stair segment reminds me of that one part in Kung Fu Panda 2. Ah, that was a good movie. I need to rewatch it.

Anyway, I love the final battle against Plankton. That joke with the water is hilarious if only for the delivery of "sike-eth!" And I love how the dragon is "defeated" with the chekov's krabby patties from earlier. And I love how it's Squidly's terrible playing that ends up getting SpongeBob and Patrick flung back to the present. The ending stinger of the episode is highkey the most memorable part of it all to me. Like every time I think of this episode, without fail I will hear that little sound from Squidly's clarinet after being crushed by Patrick. Just hilarious.

So earlier I said I "somewhat agree with the majority" about this episode. What I meant by that is that although I think this is a really good episode, part of my "Amazing" tier, I think it tends to be overrated. I think the reason this episode is overrated is because it's in season 4, where many people lose their minds and talk about how this is the beginning of the end for SpongeBob, so whenever an episode is really good like this, they blow it out of proportion. At least that's how I see it. But like I said, this still is an excellent episode that I have no problems with, so it's definitely in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episdoe Score: 9.2/10
the songs in this episode were bangers

FryBob PattyPants

Semi-Anthropomorphic Sponge
An incredible adventure that tops the list of Season 4's wonders, and an often overlooked episode due to the "quality slip" between Seasons 3 and 4.
Episode Score: 93/100 (A)
Episode Tier: Great

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
My 3rd favorite episode I like some stuff: the songs, medieval Gary,some of the comedy "Not the bowling alley!"

Back