257b. Breakin'

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I like this short. I chuckled when Mr. Krabs says, I need to give you a break every 20 years, referencing how long this show is airing. 9.5/10

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Steve's name is still in the credits, this episode couldn't have been written that far ahead, I guess they're gonna credit him in every episode now

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Pretty boring, and it's one of the few bad shorts IMO. It just wasn't very funny and this concept was done a lot better in Bummer Vacation.

Bad Episode (4/10)

Glad I found the season 12 sub forum menu, because I just always waited for new episode discussions to come as notifications and I couldn’t find these 2 most recent ones :), but you may see I posted my review for them if you want to look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
I actually enjoyed this short quite a bit. Spongebob seemed more innocent and nice in this episode and less hyper and loud like he's been in other recent episodes.

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
This was a nice short. It's kinda like Bummer Vacation, but with breaks during shifts rather than entire days off of work (and this time Krabs is in actual financial danger if he doesn't comply, rather than getting a 25 cent fine). I like how SpongeBob has a hard time staying away from working, and I like seeing what he does during his break as well. However, it's just a little too similar to Bummer Vacation for my liking, and I REALLY could've done without the gross-out, and I mean REALLY could've done without it.

8/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I love a good 16-6 episode pairing. Perfect for my busy schedule. Well…the 6-minute episode is at least lol. Anyway, today’s 6-minute episode is “Breakin’”, which immediately brings to mind “Ditchin’”. Man, those titles are quite similar.

This is one of those Krusty Krab questionable business practices episodes…I love those! We begin with SpongeBob minding his business at the Krusty Krab when Mr. Krabs suddenly barges in with a very important looking fish. Turns out, said fish is from the labor authority, because they somehow found out that Mr. Krabs has not given SpongeBob a break in decades. I love how this fish says nothing but “Krabs” angrily in this first part, it’s just funny to me. Mr. Krabs forces SPongeBob to sit down at a table in the dining room and take a break for 5 minutes, but of course, this is SpongeBob, the guy who literally went insane from being forced to take a vacation for a similar reason in “Bummer Vacation”. Also I’m now realizing that this paragraph of my review for this episode started pretty similarly to the second paragraph of my review of that episode. Shows how similar these two episodes are, at least in the beginning, I suppose.

Anyway, SpongeBob can’t help but do a little bit of work when he spots dirt on the table. The way Mr. Krabs appears from under the table is hilarious to me. Needing to take drastic measures, Mr. Krabs uses a hammer to tear down the wall, revealing an employee break room that has clearly not been used in decades. SpongeBob’s enthusiasm about the break room proves to be quite cute and amusing. SpongeBob decides to eat the very moldy food for…some reason…at least he doesn’t hallucinate a giant hamster this time. But he does get real sick. I like the way the music slows down in this part.

SpongeBob makes the break room fun with his music jamming, which leads customers to assume the break room is a lounge…if Bikini Bottomites are gonna have something, it’s the audacity because can you not read? But whatever, everyone basically ends up throwing a party in there, and Mr. Krabs shuts it down. Seems SpongeBob’s 5 minutes are up. So Mr. Krabs closes off the break room once more. The last gag of the episode is obvious, but I still enjoyed it.

“Breakin’” was a fun little episode. It wasn’t particularly great or anything, and truthfully I wasn’t quite enthralled by it, but there isn’t really anything wrong with it either. I just think it didn’t quite use its 6 minutes effectively enough. It felt like more could’ve happened? I don’t know. Whatever the case, I think I’ll rate it similarly to the other 6-minute episode of this season that I’ve reviewed so far, “One Trick Sponge”.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.9/10

Back