21a. Your Shoe's Untied

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Good episode.

Moments:
- Squidward accidentally eating the Krabby Patties every time SpongeBob trips.
- SpongeBob's "Do you know how to tie your shoes?" montage.
- Loop De Loop song.

8.5/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
The episode is a great start to another great season. It had excellent moments such as:

- The opening scene with SpongeBob watching... something, and Gary bursting in.
- Patrick with his shoes on his hands.
- SpongeBob falling (It never got annoying)
- Squidward accidentally eating the Krabby Patties ("It's *burps* SpongeBob's fault!")
- SpongeBob asking various characters how to tie shoes, but each has a problem.
- The Flying Dutchman's appearance.
- And finally... The song, obviously!

Great episode and funny gags. 9/10

Just realized I posted earlier! Sorry!

Not a bad way to start off Season 2. This episode is decent in terms of comedy and story, but it also teaches a valuable life lesson: Never forget how to tie your shoes.

Ranking so far:
1. Your Shoe's Untied (B)

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
A good episode, that's exactly how I'd sum it up. I almost called it mediocre, but with a great song and interesting setting, I'll just call it good.

GuyAtWalmart

Banished
While I'll don't consider this the best episode of Season 2, it's certainly not a forgettable one. Taking a simple everyday thing, like tieing your shoes, and creating an entire episode based around the concept, is something that the Golden Age of Spongebob could master. This is also how my little brother learned to tie his shoes.

Also, any episode with the Flying Dutchman is better by infinity

1. Help Wanted (10/10)
2. Your Shoes Untied (8.5/10)
3. Patrick's Coupon (7.9/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one was okay. There were some good jokes, and the plot is decent, but it ultimately isn't very memorable and it isn't too interesting. It also sort of drags near the end. The song is pretty good though.

Average episode (6/10)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9/10
It's a start to my favorite part of the series (seasons 2-4), and what a way to start it off. It's not as good as the episodes coming up, but it is good for what it is. I had a good laugh at some of the jokes, the song was alright, and the plot was pretty good. Honestly, pretty good episode.

1: Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)

Supersponge456

Floating Shopping List
this episode is great the part where spongebob was trying to get the patty to squidward was funny and the loop de loop song was amazing

10/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
The song was great and all but the plot is weak and this is a somewhat boring episode to watch hopefully i can finally tie my shoes the right way after seeing this...

Final Rating: Dull

Rankings:
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)

season2ftw

Imitation Krab
The actual plot itself is good, but the character designs in this episode (as well as early season 2 in general) still throw me off a lot. Much prefer later S2/early S3 animation in this regard. Granted, this is the first episode to use digital ink and paint.

Overall, I'm gonna have to give it a 7/10 brcause it's not one of the stronger S2 episodes imo.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
First episode of season 2, here we go! I'm hoping to get this season completely reviewed within the month, so let's see how that pans out.

"Your Shoe's Untied" is a really great episode, and I enjoy it quite a bit, and I think it's a great start to the second season of the show. The plot is an excellent example of how sometimes simple is better. It's also a good example of SpongeBob's simultaneous existence in the child and adult spaces. Because let's be real, tying your shoes is typically a problem that children have. But our boy still has a job he needs to go to, and go he does, to humorous effects.

But I'm getting slightly ahead of myself. Before we talk about the Krusty Krab, let's talk about the beginning of the episode. Right off the bat, we've got a good gag with SpongeBob and Gary that's a delightful, now iconic, bit of adult humor. And yes, I'm sure that teenagers, if not even slightly younger children, get the joke, but the fact is that it's for an audience older than the intended, so I'm going to call it adult humor. Anyway, that gag leads us straight into the episode as Patrick enters only a few seconds later, kick-starting the plot. This episode does a good job at showing a slightly different side to SpongeBob's characterization, with his reaction to potential embarassment being frustration, and I love it. SpongeBob trying and failing to tie his shoes is pretty funny, and so is the cutaway image of him pre-birth with tied shoes, just because of how random and absurd it is. SpongeBob tripping over his laces is also a good bit of slapstick that manages to not get old.

I find all of the jokes taking place at the Krusty Krab to be hilarious, but I think my favorite two are SpongeBob hyping himself up to give the patty to Squidward (only to not have moved an inch), and the little inching out of the door thing SpongeBob does. In fact, that's the funniest part of "Your Shoe's Untied" for me, because it lasts just long enough and the drawing of SpongeBob is just hilarious.

SpongeBob's panicked running around trying to get someone to teach him how to tie his shoes is similarly great, as it leads to a lot of funny interactions, including some possible fourth-wall breaking depending on what you want to classify Painty the Pirate as. We also get a surprise appearance by the Flying Dutchman, which is an absolute win for me because I love that guy.

I think my favorite part of the episode is the ending. And I'm not just talking about the song, though I'll get to that in a second. First off, Gary has a great showing in this episode, from the first joke to the ending. Gary tying SpongeBob's shoes for him is a small wholesome moment, the random gag of Gary wearing shoes is once again a great bit of absurd humor. And then of course we have the song, which is one of my favorites. The visuals are great (SpongeBob dancing at the start is so cute) as is the song itself, and I just really love the ending of it, it feels very closed-book and wholesome.

Clearly, I have no problems with this episode whatsoever. The only reasons it's not in my top 5 (for now, it's possible my opinions could change as I review season 2) of the season are because even though I love it, it is somewhat lacking in jokes, and it also has some stiff competition. The episode feels very season 1 in how slow and purposeful it is with its humor, which as I've said before, worked for that season (and it does work for this episode), but that does mean it's a little hard to compare it to some of the fast-paced showings we'll be seeing as this season goes on. But all of that is to say that this episode has a well-earned spot in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.2/10

Last edited:
Back