214b. Out of the Picture

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
JerryTheSnail said:
This episode was just unpleasant to watch. I had no problem with the plot, I just didn't find any of it entertaining or funny. I understand why people like this episode but I am not one of those people.
My opinion is almost like yours, I was very happy to see Rock Bottom again, though. It didn't feel shoehorned in! :D
Continuity is a great thing. I love how SpongeBob told Squidward that they were his friends. It makes his memory seem more sharp.
But then there are many negatives for me. I know Squidward can't sell his art very easily at all and he's often a failure, but am I the only one who felt he was being too aggressive at the beginning? I don't know, it's not the Squidward I know.
The ending where they were destroying the Krusty Krab didn't have much substance and, to me, it all felt a little silly. Especially when they weren't considering the consequences!
I definitely don't like it. It dragged on and how I should have been feeling was wanting it to go on for much longer, but really I just wanted this one to end. Shh...it's my possibly unpopular opinion.

Reactions: Reg

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
After Ink Lemonade I'm pretty sure everyone will forget about this episode lol.

I'm still a little conflicted on some aspects of it, but I stand by it being okay. Might even be close to good.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Here's my thoughts on the episode and my take on its controversy:

Amphitrite said:
I think it was a good episode believe it or not. It doesn't take itself too seriously and played out a bit like some classic cartoon in which one character tries to get another out of their sight, but they keep coming back. Also, yes Mr. Krabs did try to off Squidward with a mallet later on, but at first he was just trying to get Squidward far away from the Krusty Krab and pass it off as if he was "out of the picture". And he even made it clear that he felt bad for Squidward whenever he thought he really was "out of the picture". There was also a lot of blink-and-you'll-miss-it visual and dialogue gags and location variety. Plus, Krabs and Squidward were turned into art by the end. If anything, this episode definitely does the "X tries to get X killed/hurt" plot better than Demolition Doofus.
My rating for the episode is 8/10, but I won't argue if anybody thinks it's bad.

I liked this episode. I loved the Rock Bottom cameo, and I feel like some of the jokes land, but once again, not an episode that really stands out.

Ranking so far:
1. Unreal Estate (A+)
2. Plankton Gets the Boot (A+)
3. Mimic Madness (A)
4. Burst Your Bubble (A)
5. Mermaid Pants (A)
6. SpongeBob's Place (A)
7. Plankton Retires (B)
8. Lost and Found (B)
9. The Incredible Shrinking Sponge (B)
10. Out of the Picture (B)
11. Life Insurance (B)
12. The Getaway (B)
13. Code Yellow (B)
14. Trident Trouble (C)
15. Whirlybrains (C)
16. House Worming (C)
17. Sportz? (C)
18. Krusty Katering (C)
19. Patrick's Coupon (D)
20. Snooze You Lose (D)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is really funny, which is good because season 10 isn't a very funny season (aside from a few episodes.) It is a little repetitive, but the environments Squidward is sent to are creative and allow me to really enjoy this episode, and the ending was hilarious.

Great Episode (8/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one might have the usage of killing. But its at least fun and interesting in concept! Also lets not forget the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery funny ending!

Rating: Tolerant

Rankings:
Burst your Bubble (Golden)
The Getaway (Perfect)
Trident Trouble (Perfect)
Code Yellow (Perfect)
Plankton Retires (Perfect)
Mermaid Pants (Amazing!)
Mimic Madness (Superb)
Out of the Picture (Tolerant)
The Incredible Shrinking Sponge (Great)
Sportz? (Great)
Whirly Brains (Good)
Patrick's Coupon (Good)
Plankton Gets the Boot (High Okay)
SpongeBob's Place (Flat)
Krusty Katering (Dull)
House Worming (Meh)
Life Insurance (Sucky)
Unreal Estate (Bad)
Lost and Found (Stupid)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well now, this is a divisive episode, isn’t it? At least, I think it is. As per usual, I haven’t really read the discussion posts for this episode prior to reviewing it, but I swear that at some point in the past few years I’ve heard some people talk about this episode being “squid torture” and an example of Mr. Krabs at his worst, or close to it. I disagree with both of those accusations vehemently, and hopefully I’m not just making up their existence.

It’s been a minute since we’ve tapped into the artist side of Squidward, so I’m happy that this episode is all about that. I also like how we begin with Squidward holding an art show in the Krusty Krab. Even if Mr. Krabs is a skin-flint, I think it’s wholesome that he still allowed Squidward to do this in any capacity. And it’s more wholesome that SpongeBob was the one behind Mr. Krabs doing this. As for the comedic value of this scene, it’s pretty funny. There’s all sorts of great visual gags when Squidward’s trying to get people to buy his art. I love how in the end it’s like “Something Smells”, but with eyes instead of noses. SpongeBob’s support of Squidward in this scene continues to be wholesome and cute.

Of course, the only thing that convinces Mr. Krabs to buy all of Squidward’s paintings is money, or, rather, the possibility of making it. Squidward’s joy upon selling the paintings is really sweet too. So much wholesomeness in this episode! Probably to make way for the less-than-wholesome things we’ll be seeing later lol. And his joy does lead to ego, which leads to him getting hilariously beat up by a customer. So. Anyway, a self-important art appraiser comes through and says that Squidward’s paintings ain’t worth a darn…unless Squidward dies. The appraisers gesture for death is hilariously dark.

Mr. Krabs immediately tries to get Squidward “out of the picture” by using a variety of insane deliveries. Of course, these all fail because Squidward has plot armor in the form of one SpongeBob SquarePants. I love the environments of the places Squidward goes, so that’s a win. Not to mention, the return of Rock Bottom!!!! I love that SpongeBob has apparently befriended the people of Rock Bottom now. A fitting story thread following “Rock Bottom”. And these scenes are at their worst entertaining, and at their best really funny. So no losses there. Finally, Mr. Krabs seems to have gotten Squidward out of the picture for good by sending him to Mars…at least until he gets dropped back off by the aliens, traumatized but in one piece.

Mr. Krabs then embodies the spirit of “if you want something done right, you’ve gotta do it yourself”, as he starts trying to personally ensure that Squidward is out of the picture. This part of the episode is chaotic and hilarious, and I love how SpongeBob has to play both sides (this reminds me of how I wish “One Coarse Meal” was…in fact, SpongeBob here acts exactly like how I thought he’d act in that episode, until it was slightly ruined by him fully helping Mr. Krabs in the end). Eventually, Squidward decides he needs to destroy his paintings to preserve his own life, and so he reluctantly does so. Which, as it turns out, is praised by the art appraiser as performance art. Once Mr. Krabs hears wind of this…well, looks like we’re getting “Squid on Strike 2”, because Squidward and Mr. Krabs destroy the whole Krusty Krab in the name of art (and money). Of course, can’t put a price on performance art (that’s a lie, but true for this episode). The ending of this episode is perfect too, with Squidward and Mr. Krabs both winning and losing, and SpongeBob completely winning. Just perfection.

Yeah, “Out of the Picture” is easily one of the best episodes of this season so far. It’s absolutely hilarious from start to finish, and I have no problems with it at all. I also just like the plot. And I like that it’s about Mr. Krabs and Squidward, with SpongeBob playing a perfect supporting role. Now, I suppose I should mention how I feel about Mr. Krabs’ treatment of Squidward in this episode. Well…I think it’s completely in character. We already know that when money is on the line, Mr. Krabs will turn his back on any friendship or relationship of his. How much he turns his back is up to debate. But obviously in this episode, he has no qualms about killing Squidward. But I think this is hilarious, so I don’t have a problem with it. This show is a comedy, as long as it makes me laugh, I generally don’t have a problem with any of the writing decisions. It’s only when I don’t laugh that I have to then start interrogating the writing. I feel like this is something I’ve stood by in all of my reviews.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.5/10

Back