207b. House Worming

DigDugtrio

Floating Shopping List
Felt very similar to Jellyfish Jam, as a creature moves inside spongebob/his house and SpongeBob lets him stay, and then the creature invites his friends, etc. But I still enjoyed this episode, I liked many of the jokes, like Plankton trying to get the worms out of SpongeBob and getting absolutely demolished, and the "3,000 wah-poos later".

Overall, while it was not as good as Mimic Madness, it was still an enjoyable episode. Plus the short was enjoyable. Also really enjoyed the music choices in this one. (Used House of Horror again and a longer version of SpongeBob History Song!) Thanks to Nick Carr! :sbthumbs:
8/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 10

Episode: House Worming

This episode was good. The plot was decent. The ending shorts reminded me of older cartoons, and I liked that. There were few funny jokes. 7/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I liked this over all. Instead of being disgusting the worms were very cartoony and the whole plot was enjoyable going at a decent pace, unlike Jellyfish Jam which took up way too much time on the rave. I liked the short at the end too, it was a nice touch. This wasn't incredible but it was a good episode and better than expected.

7.5/10

eltsterious

Part Computer or Something
This is an episode that made me legitimately sick to my stomach. I think the quality of Spongebob's starting to improve compared to other seasons, but the scene where there's worms in Spongebob's eyes and body (where he freaks Squidward out) made me squeamish, to say the least. I don't know, maybe it's a thing with me and worms, but this was not a good episode to me. 4/10, and probably will go down as the worst of Season 10 for me.

Hazmart

Moby Dollar
It's just a good episode, a simple plot, with a simple development, and not very much happens in this episode, however, it has some very good gags, visual jokes and creative stuff. I think the short was better than the entire episode. And for me, Richard is in the same level of writing as the past seasons, the single difference is that in this case there were not disgusting or annoying things.

8/10

SecretBox

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I've been really enjoying the new episodes as of the beginning of Season 9B, but this is one of the weaker post-second movie episodes and wasn't quite as engaged with it as some people on here. I was skeptical when I saw Richard Pursel's name in the credits and like others I had a Pet or Pests vibe going into it. Luckily it didn't turn out that way, but at the same time it felt like I was watching a mishmash of previous episodes. It just felt like a mix of Jellyfish Jam, Spongehenge and Sanctuary to a lesser extent and I just failed to care what was going on that much. I mean, it's pretty much the standard "SpongeBob wants to go to work, but something is stopping him from doing that" trope that's been done quite a few times before.

Still this episode had some decent humor like Plankton's cameo, Mr. Krabs reaction to the worms, the ending with Squidward and a few facial expressions. It seems like no matter how underwhelming a post-second movie episode can be, the facial expressions will alway be great. I wasn't too crazy about the short at the end either, but it was fine. All in all, this episode was just OK. Not a real stand-out or anything, but it's watchable. 6/10

I wouldn't call this one of Pursel's best episodes though. It's definitely no Single Cell Anniversary and I'd even say that I liked his previous episode Chum Fricasee more than this one.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Original thoughts:

Well, well, well. House Worming. I wasn't so sure about this episode. After watching how fantastically done Mimic Madness was, and seeing an episode from one of the more infamous SpongeBob writers, I was skeptical on this episode
11.png
. But in the end, I was very entertained indeed!
7.png
It's not as perfect as Mimic Madness
15.png
, but it's still a nice little episode to watch
3.png

First off, the plot is pretty original, and very creative. We've never really had an episode focus on worms before. Heck, the only time the show actually focused on worms were in the apple scene in Rock-a-Bye Scallion. Now sure, Pets or Pests does come to mind, but that's a different type of worm. Those were much larger worms, and these are much smaller, worm counterparts, so I consider them to be different. Really, this plot is very creative, having a bunch of worms live inside SpongeBob's body, and the way it's done is really good. It's pretty impressive, to be honest, how this episode succeeded in executing this plot, because the writer did a really good job at executing it. Next, there was the comedy.

There wasn't as much comedy in this episode as Mimic Madness, but still a really good amount of comedy. Like Plankton getting beat up by the worms, or SpongeBob looking like a used apartment building in the city, or Squidward spraying SpongeBob with the hose, but the absolute REAL highlight is when the worm family first inhabits SpongeBob, and tons of lights go off in him, with dance music playing. And SpongeBob joining along dancing, it was HILARIOUS, and was really the highlight of the episode! Really, this episode did very well in comedy. Not too well, but still very well.

The worms themselves were a bit annoying, but not too annoying, giving them a well balance. All the characters were really well done in this episode, especially Squidward, I do believe he was really well done. The animation was pretty good in this episode, and I all in all enjoyed this episode.

All in all, it's a Great Episode. It's not the greatest episode I've ever seen, but it has a solid, creative plot, likable characters, and a lot of funny moments.

I all in all give it an 8.5/10.

I still think it's a really solid episode. Probably funnier than Mimic Madness if you ask me. While the plot is silly, and nonsensical, it fits right on in with the show, and I think this episode was really well done. Still a Great Episode in my opinion.

Squidy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The fast food restaurant that only sick people eat
Which is the real worm Wormy or this worm? So this is not at all one of my favorites but the plankton part and the little short made it up. So... This episode gets a GOOD episode. Yeah very close to a meh but those two part made it good. 8/10

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
Right...so, I have multiple things to say here, some good, some bad. First of all, generally pleasant animation. The generally put in there for a good reason. Because that brings me on to a reason which I find to be bothersome and bad. Too much screaming (especially from Squidward, oh dear >_< ) and it was just upsetting imo. The short: a fairly creative idea. Mmm, I'll just describe my overall verdict: "I did not need to see that." At least it's over with.
I mainly disliked it because it was a bit disgusting and too loud. The worms did not have truly horrible designs, thankfully. I just don't like the writing: the way I see it, it's not right for SpongeBob. Sorry.

Sunshinecandies

Imitation Krab
I agree with the earlier comment. I totally got a Jellyfish Jam sort of vibe from this episode.

Overall I enjoyed it. It was a little...wierd to see all the worms inside Spongebob. But I wasn't that bothered by it. It was just...wierd.
My favorite joke has to be Spongebob asking Squidward for a hug. Lol

Pretty meh if you ask me. I feel like there could have been more jokes and more substance. Plus, too much time was spent on that Clam Up! short. Admittedly that wasn't too bad but it overstayed its welcome.

Ranking so far:
1. Unreal Estate (A+)
2. Mimic Madness (A)
3. Mermaid Pants (A)
4. Code Yellow (B)
5. Whirlybrains (C)
6. House Worming (C)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is pretty much Jellyfish Jam except worse and more uninteresting.

Bad Episode (4/10)

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
I hate this episode. The worms are unlikable, and Spongebob has to stop work, have no friends, and even stay out of his own home. And why? Thanks to the worms. However, the 8-minute runtime says "NO FILLER PLEASE". 2/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode is the high definition of the first season 10 episode i was neutral with still the plots nice and all! But the concept is similar to fellow season 1 episode Jellyfish Jam but its at least a better version of it!

Rating: Meh

Rankings:
Code Yellow (Perfect)
Mermaid Pants (Amazing!)
Mimic Madness (Superb)
Whirly Brains (Good)
House Worming (Meh)
Unreal Estate (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Fresh off the heels of a very memorable and famous episode, we have “House Worming” which is very much not that. Well, I remember it just fine. But I never see this episode get talked about, so it’s easy to say that it’s far less famous than “Mimic Madness”, and probably less-liked too.

The first thing I gotta say about “House Worming” is that it instantly reminds me of “Home Sweet Pineapple” and “Jellyfish Jam” combined. That’s a fun coincidence that it’s similar to two season 1 episodes lol. But anyway, while I see these similarities instantly, let’s not forget that I do not subscribe to the term rip-off unless absolutely necessary. And it’s not needed here.

This is one of those episodes where the plot is…”spurned on” instead of “developed from”. Here’s what I mean by that: remember how last episode I said that I really liked how the plot got started, because it felt very in-character? Well I meant that the plot was character-driven, the plot is like a consequence of certain characters being put together. So that’s a “developed from” type plot. Hopefully I’m making sense. As for a “spurned on” type plot, this is more events happening to the characters that they then have to react to. And these are the plots that most typically can be seen as forced (unless a “developed from” plot is done poorly in terms of character writing). I’m pointing all this out because I kinda think that the plot here is forced. Like why did this random worm go straight to SpongeBob’s house to live in his body?? We can make assumptions, but it’s also very easy to assume that the worm could’ve found a home in a much easier place. So there’s just this glaring feeling of there’s no reason for this plot to be happening. I’m hopefully making sense here. I only write all this because it’s for once diminishing my enjoyment of the episode.

Moving on, SpongeBob tries, to no avail, to get the worm out of his body. Gary in this scene is me. Maybe it’s because I’m tired or something, but I’m not feeling what I’m watching. I haven’t been captivated, and so far I haven’t found anything funny. Not a good combination. After some persuasion through a sob story, SpongeBob lets the worm stay, “just for one night”. I’m sure we all know where this is going. Hey, this could mean we get something similar to “Can You Spare A Dime?” or “Ghost Host”! Now that, I’d like to see.

The worm then invites all of its friends to live in SpongeBob’s body. I wish the episode would’ve done more to make the worm likable or funny, because I’m simply annoyed with it the whole time. Maybe if it actually talked, that would’ve been helpful. But I mean, even Junior (”Rock-A-Bye Bivalve”) was a more likable character, and he mostly cried. So, talking isn’t necessary. Just do something to make me feel more for this worm than annoyance, because I don’t like being annoyed. Anyway, the worms decide to have a party in SpongeBob’s body, a la caramelldansen memes. At least SpongeBob is having fun. The visuals are nice, and I like the backing track. But I just don’t…care? Yeah, I just don’t really care about what’s going on. So I lack any kind of connection to this episode. I feel detached from what I’m watching.

Gary at least has enough of the worms, so when SpongeBob fails to get them out, he just kicks SpongeBob out. And when SpongeBob goes to work, he utterly fails to conceal the worms. And yes, I’m still kinda bored by this point. Maybe because I’m waitng for SpongeBob to actually do something about the worms other than nicely tell them to leave? Because I swear if this episode ends with the same solution as “Treats!”, just saying a firm “no”, I’m not going to be happy because you can only pull that off with characters that the character in question actually knows. And yes, SpongeBob is a nice person, but I don’t particularly enjoy seeing him be a doormat to random people, even though I suppose that is an established character trait of his (and I did like “The Abrasive Side”…). Ugh, I don’t know, I’m really trying to figure out what’s not clicking for me and this episode, and I feel like I’m grasping at straws. I think I simply just don’t like anywhere this plot is going.

Finally something catches my interest when Plankton enters the episode, promising to help SpongeBob if SpongeBob helps him in return. Of course, Plankton utterly fails at getting the worms out. And finally, I’m amused because Plankton’s failure is funny. Took the episode long enough. SpongeBob tries to get Patrick to help him, and that fails. Wasn’t funny that time though. And then he tries to get Squidward to help him, which actually succeeds for a second, although Squidward was only trying to help himself. And of course, the worms just end up coming back. SpongeBob basically just becomes an apartment building for these worms, and finally I’m amused again as SpongeBob starts getting hysterical. Honestly, a foolproof way to get me interested in an episode is to have SpongeBob start going insane. Works every time. And of course, it is his insanity, specifically his laughter, that ends up driving the worms away in the end. Kinda anticlimactic, but I’m okay with it.

I can’t be the only one who had never heard of this “Clam Up” short right? I guess I’ll review it since it’s technically part of the episode? Don’t worry this review is going to be short. By the time this part of the episode came on, I was already apathetic to everything it could’ve shown me. But I was actually amused. In fact these last 2 minutes were probably more amusing than the rest of the episode. And the reveal at the end that this was actually everything that happened before the episode was pretty cool. So I guess in the end they did do what I said about making the worm a likable character. Well, actually the worm still wasn’t likable (especially as after this the worm’s actions don’t even make sense…I thought it was looking for a home, not a place to party), but this short gave me more material to work with. And, more importantly, I liked this experimental approach to filling the 11 minutes. I would not mind if more episodes did something like this. Oh man, now I’m thinking of the possibility of a SpongeBob episode where it’s split up into segments following a different character on the same day. I recently read a comic issue from the SpongeBob Comics with this set-up. And “Swamp Mates” and “One Trick Sponge” used a very, very basic version of this set-up.

Okay, so! “House Worming”…did not like that very much. I was just bored throughout the whole thing, and I truly did not care. And the worms were just annoying. “Clam Up” was fun, but it came too late and it wasn’t even part of the main episode, so it hardly affects how I view this whole endeavor. This is the first real dud of an episode in a while though, so I’m happy.

Episode Tier: Mediocre
Episode Score:
5.4/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
This episode was bad but at least we got SpongeBob rocks the house back which is always a treat to hear!
  1. Mimic Madness (19/10)
  2. Unreal Estate (10/10)
  3. Code Yellow (9.5/10)
  4. Mermaidpants (9.5/10)
  5. Whirly Brains (8/10)
  6. House Worming (3.5/10)

Back