207b. House Worming

babydoll

Bomb-Selling Pirate
oh man this episode was funny and i liked it a lot, even though i really didn't expect to. it might have been more forgettable except the scene with squidward freaking out at the end was *so* hilarious and the short made it feel really unique and old school cartoony.

Sailor Mouth

Floating Shopping List
I didn't like this episode as much as Mimic Madness. I don't know.. I just found it kind of creepy, but not in a comfortable way. Those worms were disgusting and while I'm sure that's what they were going for, I personally don't like those kind of episodes. It just gave me a weird feeling after watching it. :/

At first, I thought this was going to be a rehash of Pets or Pests, but I was wrong. Anyways, this episode did not have as much gags as Mimic Madness, but, it was O.K.! The worms had been a tad cute at first, but had slowly got annoying as they were affecting SpongeBob (in a negative way). Best gag IMO was when SpongeBob had been getting ready for work (outside in his underwear and with his pants on his head) and someone had passed by and said, "Ugh! I did not need to see that!" A short featuring Prickles had played after the episode, which was a new and fresh feature; besides that, there is not much to say about this episode.

FINAL RATING: O.K.! 6/10

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This episode is meh. I didn't find this episode very funny and I have seen this plot from somewhere else before. This is so far my least favorite epsiode of season 10. This episode isn't gross, which was what I thought this episode would be like because of Richard Pursel writting this episode. The worms are somewhat funny. I also kinda liked the 3 minute short at the end, kinda, it wasn't super funny. Overall, this gets a 6.5/10.

Amiaprettygirl

I love the sponge! I need the sponge! ;)
This was a weird episode, but in a good way. I loved everyones reactions to the worms. I like that Plankton actually tried to help Spongebob (obviously because he wanted something out of it) but in all very good 10/10

This wasn't as good as Mimic Madness but nevertheless, it was so much better than I thought it would be. The premise sounded way too much like Pets or Pests and this was written by Richard Pursel who wrote that crappy episode. Now I don't think this was one of his better works in this show. There are some gems of his in season 5 and there were a few episodes he wrote in season 6-8 I loved. That being said, this is his first solo episode and I thought it was well-done. The worms didn't look disgusting at all. They were ugly but in a tolerable way, so it was easy to watch them for sure. The comedy was still there. I loved reactions of characters made when they saw those worms. Plankton's cameo was definitely thhe highlight of the episode. It still involved his goal was the secret formula but it was used in a rather interesting way and it was so funny. It was funny how the worms managed to stop living in SpongeBob because of his annoying laugh. I like when the show makes fun of SpongeBob's laugh for sure. And that short at the end was so clever man. Not only it gave us the main worm's sad backstory, it was a Looney Tunes parody and it was so amusing. I usually prefer this show to not parody stuff but this parody was so well-done. Overall, this was such a nice episode from Pursel.

Grade: B+

Amphitrite said:
For Richard's only season 10 episode, this was fantastic. This episode didn't feel repetitive or disgusting like everyone thought it would be. The worms were funny, and I loved each of the characters' reactions to them: Gary growling at them, Mr. Krabs making SpongeBob leave work ("Dad Krabs" anyone? ;)), Plankton trying and failing to get rid of them, Patrick mistaking them for a monster, Squidward freaking out, it's all comedy gold! xD And, as usual, there was great visual humor! :lol: I also loved the short/epilogue at the end. I don't think the writers EVER done anything like that before! :lol: Overall, this episode was great from start to finish and had me laughing throughout. 9/10 for me! Good job again, SpongeBob crew! :D
tbf Mr. Krabs asked SpongeBob to leave Krusty Krab because he didn't want costumers to get sick because of this. This wasn't that "dad krabs" but I think it was an alright characterization from him. He at least cares about costumers' health.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
As this forum's resident writers guy, the past two years of this show have been cool for me because I've finally been able to actually analyze writers down to a science rather than just kinda assuming a lot of facets about their styles based on some stuff we know about production. Through these last seasons, we've seen a fair share of writers show their true colors, ranging from the fantastic to the mediocre, but nothing truly bad. The show has risen to a quality where even the worst episode of the season's (Fish Bowl) biggest offense is being just boring, as opposed to the offenses of some of this show's worst outings. However, even back in the day where the writing was nowhere near these standards, I always had a soft spot for the writers for some reason. Casey and Zeus have always been overhated in my opinion, especially since Mr. Enter and that Pie Guy crap on them relentlessly. They've written a lot of garbage, but they still together penned Friend or Foe, which is in my personal top 10. Aaron Springer has also written a LOT of trash too, but he's the man responsible for Have You Seen This Snail (my personal favorite episode... ever), Dying For Pie, Krusty Krab Training Video, and even later greaters like Treats. However, as much as I've tried to conceal it, one writer I've always had trouble defending has been Richard Pursel.

Over his 4 or so years on the show, I friggin tried, too. But for me, this man just never got it. Ren and Stimpy is a landmark show for animation, whatever - it's a gross show, it adheres to the style of a man who's cartoons aren't really for kids, and at times aren't really even for anybody, and regardless, it's a style that only belongs to John K. cartoons. Richard Pursel tried to bring those sensibilities (and a strange infatuation with Gary) to a show that had long abandoned most of it's Ren and Stimpy influence years ago, and it... Well. You tell me if it worked. Fungus Among Us. A Pal For Gary. Pet or Pests. Pet Sitter Pat. Growth Spout. Boating Buddies (kinda). All of his creative endeavors haven't been awful - Patty Gadget is a spirited adrenaline shot to the show, one of the only segments of that "3 episodes in one" phase in Season 5 that was ever truly great. Pest of the West is a wonderful conclusion to the once a season time episode trilogy. Home Sweet Rubble, Bucket Sweet Bucket, hell, Single Cell Anniversary is fantastic, and Mermaid Man Begins is probably one of the best episodes of Season 8. But it's just that his absolute worst episodes are so godAWFUL that it's hard to look at him outside of his failures. And at his worst, Pursel turns out some very poor work and turns all of the lovable characters on their heads into something far worse. SpongeBob toes the line between a funny optimist and a creepy, aggravating, stalker, Patrick becomes a smug plot device, Squidward gets tormented deeply, and Mr. Krabs is... Weird. A random focus on Gary and some absolutely disgusting elements roll up into what makes for very not good episodes. So when he departed at the end of Season 8, I wasn't too sad about it. And when I heard about his return for Season 10, already a season looking strange on the horizon, I wasn't thrilled.

What I am now, is surprised. I used to admire the storyboard director style, but after the success of Season 9B, I'm starting to think it may be antiquated. It pairs two directors with a plot from a writer that has a different view on the show than the directors. Mr. Lawrence's offbeat Rocko-esque style was always muddled by Casey and Zeus. Sometimes it worked in a strange way, like I Heart Dancing. But Lawrence's episodes were always bolstered by Luke and Marc. Dani Michaeli, for as strange as his plots were at times, seemed to do his best (and sometimes, his worst) when Aaron Springer helmed his episodes. And Derek Iversen... I dunno, Ghoul Fools was pretty good. Pursel's plots always had a Ren and Stimpy vibe, but he never had anyone to ever execute that. The closest he ever came was with Aaron Springer, but even when that worked (like with the hilarious (imo) Boating Buddies) it felt like a betrayal of the core values of the show. But with the script format, we get to see Pursel write an episode truly as himself, and now in tandem with a show that has reverted back to it's kinetic roots in Ren and Stimpy.

And it didn't suck.

It wasn't fantastic by any means, but the fact that it even turned out halfway decent is a testament to what this show is - or rather, has become. Pursel is a better writer than I have given him credit before. His plots are still focused on things that are kinda gross and strange (this is the 3rd plot about random foriegn invaders to SpongeBob's home or body and it's getting creepy, man), but now, the show is now less detailed, no longer has Robertryan to push the gross things to their grossest extent, and is in a place where the show is much more lively. A lot of jokes work here, the music that plays while the worms party inside SpongeBob is hilarious, and when SpongeBob opens his body up and sees, among other things, a worm doing the worm, it's genuinely funny. Plankton's cameo was great. And the random, totally Spumco segment at the end showing how Prickles got to where he was at the start of the episode was perfect context done in a creative and funny way. House Worming is no masterpiece, but it works, a million times better than I thought it would. Ya done good Pursel, ya done good.

7.5/10.

i lowkey wouldn't even mind seeing Prickles again tbh

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
The episode is just meh to me. I liked the short, however. Gary's behavior was understandable, up to the point where he kicks SpongeBob out of the house until he gets rid of the worms. Definitely don't like the idea of worms in my body. Otherwise, it's gonna be a 7.2/10 for me.

Perry The Platypus

....What?
This was episode was pretty average. It just felt the same as so many other episodes, especially Earworm and Jellyfish Jam. There some amusing moments and there was nothing bad, but it felt pretty recycled and forgettable

Back