202b. Snail Mail

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
This was a good episode! My thoughts of the episode:
-The French Narrator is back?!! Wow.
-Did not expect "Hawaiian Cocktail" to be used.
-I could see that twist ending a mile away.
-I actually did not get the running gag with the pair of underwear. Was it some sort of poop joke? :patgross:
-I liked the flight simulator gag a lot. Anyone know the name of the video game music used in that scene?
-I did not expect Patrick to be the pen pal, like everyone else.
-Steve the Scythe Guy. That is all.

9/10

Growlie

Best Boy
I'll say that this episode was Waaaaaay better than Whirlybrains, for sure! They brought back the joke of Spongebob being in the mailbox like Chocolate with Nuts, But they didn't have the mailfish react like Chocolate with Nuts, that was disappointing.

And Patrick being the Penpal was lame and, yes.., wasted potential. The Penpal could've been anyone other than Patrick! (Please don't overuse Patrick!) Like some random Bottomite, Mr.Krabs, Squidward, Larry, some tough guys, Plankton or heck, even Squilliam could've been SpongeBob's Penpal! But no, Patrick's the obviously easy choice.

Okay writers, fine! Be that way.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 9

Episode: Snail Mail

This episode was kinda good. The plot was nice. I liked the few references to older episodes. There were some funny jokes. 7.5/10

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
MasiHosseini said:
Season: 9

Episode: Snail Mail

This episode was kinda good. The plot was nice. I liked the few references to older episodes. There were some funny jokes. 7.5/10
I don't remember any references to older episodes in this episode....

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
The Creepytizer said:
-I liked the flight simulator gag a lot. Anyone know the name of the video game music used in that scene?
It's probably original music.

Growlie said:
I'll say that this episode was Waaaaaay better than Whirlybrains, for sure! They brought back the joke of Spongebob being in the mailbox like Chocolate with Nuts, But they didn't have the mailfish react like Chocolate with Nuts, that was disappointing.
This would be pretty obvious for him to react, so they changed his reaction. Nobody likes the references like "Hey, you remember this?! Well, we are reminding you this by doing THE EXACT SAME GAG!". Yeah, we are not morons.

The Creepytizer said:
-The French Narrator is back?!! Wow.
He was narrating in Food Con Castaways, so it's not a case of a "long time no see".
About the clean underwear joke: SpongeBob is nervous, and you can never tell when he's gonna get scared so much. After the plane crash, he definitely needed them.

Amphitrite said:
Not to mention that this episode seemingly borrowed story elements from Bulletin Board: a "mystery" character writes a message, another character misinterprets it, the character was Patrick the whole time.
I don't think Claire O'Kane watched the episode written by some other guy she probably doesn't know...

Smaher

Moby Dollar
RomNick said:
I don't think Claire O'Kane watched the episode written by some other guy she probably doesn't know...
What? She's apart of the writing staff, lol. They're supposed to know each other.

Reactions: Reg

TheArabicArowana

Note To Self: Never EVER judge an episode by it's title.

This was the first time I assumed an episode of SB would be bad/boring just by the title. And I'm happy to say I was proved to be dead wrong.I thought it was just gonna be another Gary episode, and yet, he's barely in it.

This is probably one of my favorite season 9 episodes. The story is unique, the jokes are funny, and it flows very nicely. There wasn't a second of the episode that felt like a waste of time. Every single minute was taken advantage of. The premise of Spongebob lying and feeling guilty about it is a cool idea. And I like that it started out as just a white lie and mistake. Also, "I'm not a flyer, I'm a liar!" is just one of the many memorable lines from the episode. Spongebob listing off directions as he's about to take off and occasionally adding in "don't die" is also pretty funny.

9/10 would watch it again.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
What? She's apart of the writing staff, lol. They're supposed to know each other.

Yes. And besides, when I said that the episode "seemingly" borrowed from Bulletin Board, I meant it had a similar twist.

Amphitrite said:
Yes. And besides, when I said that the episode "seemingly" borrowed from Bulletin Board, I meant it had a similar twist.
I disagree with you on that. the twist in Bulletin Board was meant to be so obvious. the twist in this episode was pretty unpredictable, yet disappointing to me. I dunno. I don't think she borrowed it from Bulletin Board.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I disagree with you on that. the twist in Bulletin Board was meant to be so obvious. the twist in this episode was pretty unpredictable, yet disappointing to me. I dunno. I don't think she borrowed it from Bulletin Board.

Meh. It didn't work well in Snail Mail for me, though. I think it would have been better if they used a one-off character instead of Patrick... again...

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Pretty good episode, the plot felt fresh, some good jokes and overall another nice episode added to season 9 :)

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
I enjoyed both Food Con Castaways and Snail Mail, but in terms of scoring they're both pretty close together for me. The twist at the end, though, was definitely disappointing. I would've liked SpongeBob to have a proper pen pal... Jokes-wise, I loved how Patrick got all the things he wanted on his list when the plane was out of control, and the French Narrator kind of helping SpongeBob along by giving him hints. Also, SpongeBob was so cute when he was writing his letter. :)
I think I might prefer this one to it's sister, both had predictable endings but this one felt more unique - and we got to see Norton the mailman again at the beginning, so that's a plus!
8/10

I like this episode. The plot is cool, and the episode has so many fun gags. I also like that everything in the letter is incorporated nicely into the story. In the end, it's one of my favorite season 9 episodes. 9/10

I like it. It's funny, unpredictable, and even though we've seen the concept of SpongeBob flying in The Sponge Who Could Fly, it was executed a lot better here. Definitely one I'd recommend.

Ranking so far:
1. CopyBob DittoPants (A+)
2. What's Eating Patrick? (A+)
3. Larry's Gym (A+)
4. License to Milkshake (A)
5. Tutor Sauce (A)
6. Evil Spatula (A)
7. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
8. Patrick! The Game (A)
9. Snail Mail (A)
10. Pull Up a Barrel (A)
11. Bulletin Board (A)
12. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
13. Sharks vs. Pods (A)
14. Lame and Fortune (B)
15. Bumper to Bumper (B)
16. Plankton's Pet (B)
17. Jailbreak! (B)
18. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
19. Patrick-Man! (B)
20. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (B)
21. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (B)
22. Yeti Krabs (B)
23. Sold! (B)
24. Extreme Spots (B)
25. Mall Girl Pearl (B)
26. Squid Plus One (B)
27. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
28. Gary's New Toy (B)
29. Company Picnic (B)
30. Don't Look Now (C)
31. Squirrel Record (C)
32. Sandy's Nutmare (C)
33. The Executive Treatment (C)
34. Two Thumbs Down (C)
35. The Fish Bowl (C)
36. Seance Shmeance (C)
37. SpongeBob LongPants (C)
38. Food Con Castaways (D)
39. Sanctuary! (D)
40. Squid Defense (D)
41. Kenny the Cat (D)
42. Married to Money (E)
43. Squid Baby (E)
44. Little Yellow Book (F)
45. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This episode is really weird. The plot was all over the place for the most part, and while the episode for the most part is semi-enjoyable, it did get a little convoluted at times. The part with Spongebob flying was pretty entertaining, and there were some funny moments here and there, but not enough to where I would call it good. Still, it was semi-entertaining.

Decent episode (6/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Bulletin Board (8)
5. Sold! (8)
6. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (8)
7. Squid Plus One (8)
8. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
9. Pull up a Barrel (8)
10. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
11. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
12. Tutor Sauce (7)
13. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
14. Lame and Fortune (7)
15. Larry's Gym (7)
16. Jailbreak (7)
17. Copybob Dittopants (7)
18. Sandy's Nutmare (7)
19. License to Milkshake (6)
20. Patrick! the Game (6)
21. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
22. Snail Mail (6)
23. Extreme Spots (6)
24. The Executive Treatment (6)
25. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
26. Squid Defense (6)
27. Gary's New Toy (6)
28. Bumper to Bumper (6)
29. Squirrel Record (5)
30. Séance Schméance (5)
31. Two Thumbs Down (5)
32. Patrick-Man! (5)
33. Married to Money (5)
34. Evil Spatula (5)
35. Company Picnic (5)
36. Kenny the Cat (5)
37. Sanctuary! (5)
38. Spongebob Longpants (4)
39. Food Con Castaways (4)
40. The Fish Bowl (4)
41. Yeti Krabs (4)
42. Don't Look Now (4)
43. Squid Baby (3)
44. Little Yellow Book (2)
45. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Bulletin Board (8)
4. Sold! (8)
5. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (8)
6. Squid Plus One (8)
7. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
8. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
9. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
10. Tutor Sauce (7)
11. Lame and Fortune (7)
12. Larry's Gym (7)
13. Copybob Dittopants (7)
14. Sandy's Nutmare (7)
15. Patrick! the Game (6)
16. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
17. Snail Mail (6)
18. The Executive Treatment (6)
19. Two Thumbs Down (5)
20. Married to Money (5)
21. Company Picnic (5)
22. Sanctuary! (5)
23. Spongebob Longpants (4)
24. Food Con Castaways (4)
25. The Fish Bowl (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I CHANGED MY OPINION!

Ugggh this was a terrible episode! I hated the plot and it was just boring and i kinda disliked Gary! I also didnt think the jokes were funny also its mostly talking its also very much all over the place!

Final rating: 0/10 Unwatchable episode
Rankings:
Pull Up A Barrel (PERFECT)
Pineapple Invasion (PERFECT)
Patrick! The Game (Amazing!)
The Fish Bowl (Awesome)
Married to Money (Superb)
Sold! (Awesome)
Company Picnic (Okay)
Food Con Castaways (Okay)
Sandys Nutmare (Terrible)
Mall Girl Pearl (Bad)
Snail Mail (Unwatchable)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Is it just me, or does anyone else associate “Snail Mail” with “Bulletin Board”? I won’t say that I mix them up exactly, but like…when I think of one, I always think of the other. I think I know why, but I'll get to that later.

This episode begins very similarly to “Toy Store Of Doom”, which scares me immediately, because that was one of the most boring episode beginnings I have ever seen. Luckily, this episode learns from those mistakes, having SpongeBob be bored for literally 5 seconds before writing a letter to a pen pal. I also really like the role of the French Narrator in this segment, he’s a lot more…present than usual. While I would get annoyed very quickly if this was the norm in SpongeBob SquarePants, it thankfully isn’t, and I enjoy it here.

“Snail Mail” is about a comedy of misunderstandings (yes, I know that’s not the phrase. No, I don’t care). And I know for some people, misunderstandings are the worst. Even I can agree with this assessment from time to time. But I think that this episode does this plot point very, very well. Especially because of the misunderstandings on both sides (Pen Pal thinking SpongeBob can fly, SpongeBob thinking Pen Pal is dying).

SpongeBob is just hilarious in this episode. I love his dynamic with Gary in the earlier parts of this one, and then I love his dramatics when he has to deal with the consequences of lying to Pen Pal. And then I loved his visit with Sandy. The way she gave him a pair of underpants was hilarious, like how often does a situation requiring clean underpants happen??? Weird thoughts aside, all of SpongeBob’s attempts of learning how to fly are also very fun to watch. I think it’s funny that he simply cannot commandeer any kind of vehicle. Other than a unicycle. Though it’s equally funny to me that SpongeBob can drive everything except a boat just fine. So basically, there’s all sorts of options for comedy in my eyes. His little pilot outfit is also adorable.

Speaking of good characters in this episode, Sandy is great as well. She’s just way too funny here, definitely one of my favorite Sandy appearances this season, legitimately. Her reassurances towards SpongeBob followed by her obvious understanding that SpongeBob cannot fly is great.

After a hilarious joke with Steve the scythe guy, and lots of nervousness, SpongeBob finally starts flying…and we finally learn the identity of Pen Pal. And see, this is probably the reason why I associate this episode with “Bulletin Board”, because Pen Pal is none other than Patrick Star! And of course, this is when we get the kind of chaos I love to see, with everything going to S lol. Very, very entertaining stuff. I think these kinds of chaos endings are something that have only gotten better with time, like a fine wine. And at the end of it all, we get the third iteration of the underwear joke, coupled with a gorgeous background. Now that’s what I call a good ending!

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.8/10

Back