201a. Sandy's Nutmare

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.

Plot:
"Sandy creates the latest acorn-based food sensation, but her tree pays a price for her greed."

Some clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Wjp2M2kuk

Discuss the second episode of the premiere week when it airs on July 12th.

Cha

I love SBM
remember kids, steriods are the way to go

I like how zany Sandy has been lately, like in The Fishbowl as well. Didn't think the episode would go this direction of Sandy selling her nutty butter, but cool. And we got to see SB's unicycle again and a few classic Patrick dangerous stupidity moments. I liked the story the Shalmon made, this was a decent episode I guess. It reminded me of an innocent SB book.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
I generally liked this but it does have a problem like yesterday where the pacing feels a bit off. I'm just generally not sure where it is though, nothing seemed to really drag on too long yet it felt like they had to speed up the last 3-4 minutes to get the ending in, although it was more subtle this time. Still wasn't too much of a positive from this as Lame though, 8/10 for now. Likable, but still could've been better, and I'm unsure exactly how. This half season has been a real mystery at points, but that's what you get with a completely new format of doing episodes.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Pretty good episode. These episodes are really going an entirely new direction, which is great! 8.5/10

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
It was pretty meh. Not as good as yesterday's episode but alright. Might need to watch a second time to make a judgement.

Noah Spongy

FIRETRUCK CLOWNS
The episode, while it didn't have many noticeable jokes, was pretty fun to watch. I like the Shalmon, and his voice actor did a great job with his role, Sandy was very entertaining to watch, and it all took a very interesting turn. It was definitely better than expected though, but there just seems to be something wrong about it, like there were a couple filler scenes, some parts moved kinda slowly...I'll probably need a second viewing where I actually HEAR WHAT THEY'RE SAYING BETTER (thanks a lot family -_-) to get some more clear thoughts. But it still wasn't horrible.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
I thought this was a fun episode as well. The highlight of the episode was the animation in that one part. I thought it looked really cool. I thought this episode was pretty funny as well. 8.5/10

Smitty

Part Computer or Something
Another good episode!
To me, Patrick was really funny in this episode. I really enjoyed the story that the Shalmon showed.
Once again, the pacing felt pretty fast at times as if it wasn't able to fit in 11 minutes.
Other than that I didn't notice too many problems.

8.5/10

Favorite Quote:
"It's like Sandy said, something something something science. And who are we to argue with science!" ~Patrick

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I again missed it -_- ! The title card music is one of my favourites though I hope the episode is also good :wub:

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
Really good episode. Although jokes were low, the episode was a load of fun. The story the Shaman told was the best part, due to its unique animation style. A pleasant surprise! Patrick was pretty good, also.

Perry The Platypus

....What?
It was good. I like seeing Sandy plots, and this was a good story fot her. It is a bit like Jellyfish Hunter but it stands out enough and has some decent jokes too.

chances14

Imitation Krab
decent episode overall.

the shalman story was the best part of the episode for me. anyone else think at the beginning of the story that the moon (AKA squidward) looked like a butt lol

J-444

Floating Shopping List
@chances14 That's the joke, silly.

The topic at hand: Again, half-baked. Seeing it twice, I can dissect it clearer:

TL;DR:
This episode is pretty pleasant in the first third, starts to falter in the second third, and when we get to Sandy's tree auto-producing Nutty Butter, it becomes downright dull. There's a distinct lack of jokes, instead opting for story all the way.

The opening picnic is easily the best part of the episode, with fun gags (Keep the very first with Patrick in mind for later) and a nice Karate scene with Spongebob and Sandy. :sbyes: (Nitpick: Sandy's gloves are now pink. IMO, they looked better green, contrasting Spongebob's red gloves. The sudden change also seems a bit feminist. :squidannoyed:)
This is swiftly followed by Patrick dropping to his Season 6 mindset, having no care in the world for Sandy's tree and well-living. Thankfully, there's nothing like this in his other appearances, but he still has that mindset.
:patno: Yes, Pat, you did switch corals. Admit it. At least you weren't smug.
Anyways:
More laughs come by way of Sandy trying different fertilizers (The best, of predicted consensus, being the third one). This is followed by a grossout moment with Sandy stuffing nuts in her cheeks. If it weren't for that drool! (Note: Like Patrick's dumbness above, none are "WhoBob" levels of bad grossout.)
Also of particular notice is Spongebob calling the titular pun (Roll credits) and Sandy reacting negatively (To overstate it), an interesting choice (In a good way). Gushing, I know, but it's a first!
The Shalmon scene -- for me, marking the end of the first third -- is also nice to view, with grossout done correctly. :whoo:
The second half feels about as good as a lesser Season 4 episode, with non-aggrivatingly-but-still-annoying PatDumb and Grossout. Remember what I said about the opening gag with Patrick? He could put his Nutty Butter in his helmet to eat it!
(But then I would drink all the water, and dehydrate! Or, worse, drown!)> :patuhh: Nice observation, Season 2 Patrick. This epiphany has come to make me not state the obvious problem with your theory.

Anyways, this bit of PatDumb leads to public notice about Nutty Butter, leading then to the worst grossout with a baby. Birds do it better, y'know?

It then leads to the mass-production of Nutty Butter -
(Self: That word combination feels like the phrase "Skunk Butt Rug" rolling out of my mouth.)
- and a distinct lack of jokes AND bad moments. It's just that dull! When Sandy's tree falls apart, Spongebob tries stapling the leaves back (Har Har) and Patrick... makes more Nutty Butter, as he apparently has a natural supply of lard. " :planet: " is all I can say, not counting
" :patgross: ".
The shalmon then reappears, with a moral clenched tight in his fist and a beautiful (Animation-wise) tale to tell, with Spongebob making a pretty good miniature Sun-God Frith and Squidward not getting bashed by every inch of universe again. Yes, YES, :sbyes:!
(GUSH: The sun really does "interact" with the stars during the day. The latter category just isn't visible due to the bright sky.)
After that, the shalmon shows us how splinters are handled correctly (to a smiling PieGuyRulz and fanbase) before giving Sandy the moral to unleash upon us. The episode then ends with flat joke which I shall not comment on.

Overall:
FIRST HALF: 7/10
SECOND HALF: 5.5/10

Tomorrow: Let's have a "Stuck in the Woods" plot krazy-glue to an Any-Con plot with "Food Con Castaways".
And I just had the thought of the Sea Bears(/Rhino, maybe) returning again (Food + Woods = Wild Animal Fest).

Back