156. Frozen Face-Off

Growlie

This monster business isn't my thing.
abney317 said:
I think the crazy monster was the best part
I lol'd every time I saw it

What's the deal with that monster's animation? I'd prefer 2d animation then this.

Bl4zeTMG

420 Bl4ze it
Season: 8

Episode: Frozen Face-Off

This episode was between bad and decent for me. Some parts i liked (for example, teamwork of the characters, the claymotion monster). Some parts i didn't like (for example the Gary abuse, Plankton stealing the formula AGAIN it's predictble.) There were few jokes. 5.5/10
I agree with everything you say. It's just meh for the most part.

Leedles

Leedle
I absolutely LOVE this episode. The stakes were actually high, it was entertaining action packed and funny, and the Plankton subplot was actually funny (ATOM BY ATOM). 10/10

Bl4zeTMG

420 Bl4ze it
Mr. Enter only hated this episode for GARY ABUSE.

........6/10 for me. Like any other special. It's bland while having its moments.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
One of the most underrated specials. It had a great plot with a surprising amount of action and creativity.

8.5/10

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
I'm not a huge fan of this special (It doesn't stand out to me and it's forgettable) but it does have its moments (Plankton's subplot is the highlight, and there is some decent action) and it is fairly close to being good.

7/10

SpongeBronyPH

Episode: Frozen Face-Off (S8-E156)

I LOVE THIS EPISODE!!! The mix of 2D and 3D (The Snow Mollusk only) feels like The Amazing World of Gumball. I mostly love Plankton destroying The Krusty Krab by braking two nuclear atoms. That made me laugh SO HARD!!!

Final Score = 10/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
I actually enjoyed this special a lot. What specials need to understand is the fact that they need a coherent story fill out the time. I think specials that focus more on plot than comedy tend to do better, and since Season 8 tended to do that with episodes that this came out pretty well. I love the adventure, I love the side story, and I love how it doesn't take itself too serious. Of course an episode has to be at least somewhat funny, and I think this episode does it well too, without feeling too off track. I enjoyed this one a lot, and it grows on me every time I see it.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
SpongeBronyPH said:
Me too. I always enjoy watching this special. This is the best episode of Season 8 for me.
Yeah, I don't know what your stance on It's a SpongeBob Christmas! is, but during Winter these are good episodes to chill and watch for me at least.

Birds858

My favorite special, i loved the Plankton segments, the action scene with the Snow Mollusk and the plot was interesting.

10/10

One of my favorite specials in the show. It's funny, got awesome action, and the whole thing just feels like an adventure. The crazy thing is that it works, too.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. A Friendly Game (B)
5. Sentimental Sponge (C)
6. Accidents Will Happen (C)
7. The Other Patty (D)

FutureSponge

Sorry to be a lame hater here, but this episode is genuinely difficult for me to sit through. And yes, it has everything to do with the Gary abuse.

Other than that, the episode's fine. I don't find it spectacular or anything, but I'd put it on the same level as other specials such as The Sponge Who Could Fly or Spongebob Roundpants; just "meh". Although that cgi or claymation (forgive my lack of knowledge on different animation styles) is admittedly really hard to look at for me, and honestly kind of borders on being cringeworthy.

But all in all like I said, really what kills this episode for me is the Gary abuse. I genuinely had to look away from the screen and felt sick to my stomach every time we saw Gary's strained and suffering facial expressions, especially that scene when he just falls over in the snow. We have to remember that Gary is essentially a house cat, and I know it's a cartoon and whatnot, but like The Great Snail Race and Pet Sitter Pat, the suffering just felt too... real here, and it's extremely difficult to watch, which is why I can't sit through this episode. To me Gary abuse is easily the worst in the show, just because of his inability to talk, and how small and fragile he is compared to the other characters.

Also other than that and my aforementioned distaste for the monster's design, I personally find Plankton's part in the episode to be really boring. Yeah, like other people said, the fact that this is another "plankton steals the formula" plot really drags this episode down for me. Theres so many different routes they could've gone here, and I wish they wouldve been more creative and created a new villain besides the monster for the special.

Like I said though, without the Gary abuse, I'd just be neutral on this episode mostly. The other complaints I had were really just nitpicks. I did really enjoy Mr. Krabs backstory, though. As well as just the action and the adventure of running across this giant frozen landscape in general. It's not all bad, but unfortunately just that one major issue just makes it impossible for me to enjoy this episode. 2.5/10.