153a. Accidents Will Happen

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Few highs and few lows. The only notable thing is Squidward's story, which I liked.

6/10

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
Much like many season 8 episodes, I'm very indifferent to this one. Not a good episode and there's nothing I would say I really enjoyed here, but it's also not bad and there's nothing that bothered me.

6/10

Matt0417

Floating Shopping List
It was pretty boring, but Squidward's story was mildly fun to watch, especially since it's so funnily out-of-character for him to grab a new bun for a customer without someone ordering him to. Most of it was kinda dull though.

6/10 (Okay)

RDSP

Banished
I... actually kinda like this episode. I wouldn't call it great but I personally thought it wasn't too bad. There were some gross moments but there were also some funny lines (like the reference to "Finland", someone mentioning the "special sauce" after Mr. Krabs... pops barnacles off of Squidward's back :patgross: and there are some other funny lines thrown throughout) and... yeah, unfortunately, not too much else. I'd give this a 7/10, though it is a bit close to being a 6/10.

It's pretty okay. Squidward and Mr. Krabs are kinda jerks here, but it's passable, and there are a few funny lines here and there.

Ranking so far:
1. Accidents Will Happen (C)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well, well, well, here we are at the beginning of season 8! Can you believe we’ve made it here? I can’t. May was very hard lol, and honestly this whole summer of reviews is gonna be hard, but we’re gonna get through them. If I could get through May, I can get through the rest of the year. I hope. Let’s get to focusing on the episode, though.

“Accidents Will Happen” is an episode that I’ve always had a soft spot for, so I felt pretty positive about things when going into this rewatch. And that’s not a set-up either, because I felt positive after rewatching the episode too.

There’s a lot of things to like in this episode. Firstly, we’ve got the title card, which both looks cool and has a cool backing track. And then more relevantly, I love Squidward in this episode. Although TrollBob is what I like to see, I can’t help but love Trollward as well. Especially after all the trials and tribulations we’ve seen Squidward endure (at the hands of Mr. Krabs), it’s nice to see him get one over on Mr. Krabs, at least for much of the episode. And I really love how he doesn’t even take it out on SpongeBob either. This episode is like “Krusty Towers” in that way, which is similarly an episode with Trollward, particularly where Mr. Krabs is concerned. I just adore Squidward’s smugness as the episode goes on, especially in the “fluff it” bit, like that has been rolling laughing.

Mr. Krabs is similarly great. The bit when Squidward first gets injured is hilarious, because even though the punchline can be seen from a mile away, it still lands and lands hard. That’s how you know you’ve got a good joke going for you. Also, Mr. Krabs’ dialogue in this episode is especially great, especially during the first few minutes. And as always Clancy Brown gives excellent deliveries, further elevating the dialogue. I love the relationship between him and Squidward in this episode, with both of them trolling each other at least once, and I feel like this episode is helped a lot by the previous history these two characters have shared. Though this also does make Mr. Krabs’ repeated insulting of Squidward at the beginning of the episode feel out of place, at least at first. Considering how Mr. Krabs insults basically everybody, I don’t think we should take too much stock out of the insults he hurls Squidward’s way, you know? It’s basically an expression of care at this point.

SpongeBob himself plays a relatively minor role in this episode (as compared to the other two big players), but he’s also great. His stringent following of the OWS code is so very him, and I love his enthusiasm and eagerness to give first aid. His extra tall hat in that scene is absolutely adorable too. SpongeBob’s naivety is on full display in this episode, and its endlessly endearing here, especially because it lends itself to the quasi-father-son relationship between Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob. And of course, I love that. SpongeBob’s investigation of the incident is also a fun little plotline, which surprisingly brings Patrick into the fold for a funny gag. And then I love how in the end, he calls up OWS anyway because he can’t get to the bottom of the investigation. It’s a funny way to lead to the predictable result that the OWS would show up.

This episode is also a “Krusty Krab Business Practices” plot, and y’all know I love those. Yeah, this time it’s more internally facing, what with OSHA (or OWS) violations and such, but I actually love those kinds of episodes even more than the attracting customers kind. I don’t know, something about seeing how lowdown Mr. Krabs can be is fascinating to me, and he isn’t even that bad in this episode considering how Squidward manipulates him.

The dramatics in this episode are also in top form, from Mr. Krabs…entire being, to Squidward’s fabricated tale. And then of course we have the ultimate reveal that Squidward is a dirty liar once Mr. Krabs remembers that he has security cameras. Honestly, rookie move Squidward, you should’ve made sure that there was no way you could’ve been found out. And this of course means that Squidward gets his comeuppance in the end, leaving us with a very satisfying ending.

“Accidents Will Happen” is a great start to this season. I have no problems with this episode, like at all. I’ve been working on making sure I’m not inflating my reviews too much, but I mean this has always been an episode I enjoyed rewatching, so I don’t think me putting it in the Amazing tier, along with giving it a good score, is me inflating anything. This is simply a fantastic episode. If there’s anything bad to be said about it, it’s that it’s somewhat lacking in jokes, though I honestly didn’t really notice that? I think the plot itself is inherently funny, so that keeps me laughing throughout the entire episode.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.4/10

distinctincident5624

Imitation Krab
In my opinion, it's...kind of bad. The back barnacle and grease scenes were quite disgusting, The characters were kinda unlikable and it's boring.

4/10

Sponge64

New Kelp City's Mayor
That's it? That's the first episode of the season? That was just Can You Spare a Dime 2!

This episode is very been there, done that. Didn't hate it though. Don't love it, either. It's okay. The only thing that could be worse than a Squidward torture episode is a Squidward pleasure episode, in which the kind where he gets extremely uncaring and only really cares about his benefit. It makes him seem like such an unlikable character, when he really wasn't suppose to be.

Back