144a. That Sinking Feeling

SquiddlyPie

random gal
This episode ISN'T BAD AT ALL...It's a really GOOD episode , IDK I really liked it...and it was funny too (when Squidward puts the jello as a hat :P ) Don't let other people control you with their opinions...I mean OK Pieguyrulz thinks that this is the worst S7 episode but you don't have to think so if you don't...For me it was a great episode...I don't change my mind.. 9/10!

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: That Sinking Feeling (S7-E144-A)

THIS IS MY FAVORITE EPISODE!!! Perfectly paired with Karate Star (also my favorite episode). The jokes, and the sinking of houses are very funny to me. But Squidward Abuse here in this episode is mildly bad.

Final Score = 10/10

I kinda love this episode. I know not much happens, but I can help but enjoy myself every time I watch it. It's not very annoying, I like the jokes, and I don't consider it a Squid abuse episode considering he's the main antagonist. I think this episode could easily compete with the pre-movie seasons.

Ranking so far:
1. That Sinking Feeling (A+)
2. The Inside Job (A+)
3. The Great Patty Caper (A)
4. The Bad Guy Club for Villains (A)
5. Squidward in Clarinetland (A)
6. Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (B)
7. Growth Spout (B)
8. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
9. Greasy Buffoons (B)
10. A Day Without Tears (B)
11. I Heart Dancing (B)
12. SpongeBob's Last Stand (B)
13. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
14. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (B)
15. Kracked Krabs (C)
16. Gary in Love (C)
17. The Cent of Money (C)
18. Model Sponge (C)
19. The Curse of the Hex (C)
20. Sponge-Cano! (D)
21. Back to the Past (D)
22. The Play's the Thing (D)
23. Tentacle-Vision (D)
24. The Main Drain (D)
25. Gramma's Secret Recipe (D)
26. Summer Job (E)
27. Rodeo Daze (E)
28. Trenchbillies (E)
29. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
30. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
31. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
32. A Pal for Gary (F-)
33. One Coarse Meal (F-)

The Tough Sponge Man

Floating Shopping List
I think it's alright.

There isn't much of a story, and Squidward gets abuse a bit, but I find a lot of the jokes they tell pretty funny (especially the Dig Dug reference). Not the best of the season, but not the worst either.

6 Shovels out of 10, would rather watch Chum Caverns and Wishing You Well

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Some funny jokes, but nothing else is that memorable.

Eh Episode (6/10)

Rex

Floating Shopping List
Pretty underrated and overhated if you ask me. I get the hate but there is some funny moments and also in terms of STP i wouldn't even call it bad. I do like this episode

7/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I forget about this episode a lot, but whenever I watch it again I realize that I like it. It's definitely underrated, and for some reason it's forgettable (it feels similar to other episodes to me, I think that's why I forget about it). In my opinion this episode is funny and at the very least entertaining. I know this is technically one of those "Squidward Torture" episodes or whatever, but it really isn't that bad. Definitely one of the better episodes of season 7. On my season 7 review back at the beginning of 2018, I rated this as an 8/10, and while my opinion on the episode hasn't really changed, the standard that I grade episodes on has, so the rating is a bit lower now.

7.3/10

phantomsponge1148

Imitation Krab
I really do like the concept of this episode though they kind of go a little far is Squidward‘s torture.

6/10

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
It's just your run of the mill annoy Squidward episode, and although I don't hate watching it, i don't like watching it either because there is very little that would make me want to watch it. Aside from the mildly entertaining portions of Spongebob and Patrick's mining sessions, and ironically humorous design of Jellyhead Squidward, this episode is basically nothing.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Okay let me come right out and say it, I’ve always liked “That Sinking Feeling”. Is this an unpopular opinion? Yeah probably, but I stand by it after rewatching the episode.

I’m always a sucker for a good trio plot. "Trio" here referring to SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward of course. And that’s exactly what this episode is all about, using the formula we established all the way back in “Bubblestand”. It’s a formula for a reason, it simply works. And that’s how it is here, it simply works. This beginning bit of the episode is probably the weakest part of the whole thing for me, as watching SpongeBob and Patrick run around laughing doesn’t quite get me as annoyed as Squidward, but it isn’t exactly entertaining. Truthfully, the most entertaining thing about this sequence is that its the source of a pretty funny meme haha. But in all seriousness, this is just a pretty cool shot. SpongeBob and Patrick smiling in the brightness, showing their carefree and happy nature, while Squidward is shrouded in darkness, presumably having a frown on his face. This is their characters to a T. Okay, I’m done over-analyzing now.

This episode doesn’t really get moving until SpongeBob and Patrick decide to use digging as their solution, though there are some really fun moments like the road, or the mailbox explosion (y’all know I love my random explosions, and they’ve been sorely missing). From there, things get really good, which is where my like of the episode stems from. Digging a tunnel between their houses is actually a decent idea, not gonna lie. But when Slide Whistle Stooges starts playing, you know something crazy gonna happen. And…it doesn’t quite happen yet, though SpongeBob and Patrick of course don’t make the tunnels easy to traverse.

How Squidward is able to hear SpongeBob and Patrick when they’re that far underground, I don’t know, but it does lead to the beginning of the great chaos we’ll be seeing later. Poor Squidward, you’d love noise-cancelling headphones. I love how this part, with those bells in the background, feels almost like “Squidward in Clarinetland”. Which makes sense considering it uses the same track, but I also mean with the whole SpongeBob laughing bit too. One thing I like about this moment is that we get to see a bunch of nice backgrounds in SpongeBob and Patrick’s houses as Squidward finds them completely empty. This is a win for me, the SpongeBob background aficionado. Speaking of wins, I also get a Gary cameo, and Squidward referring to Gary by name. Gary main character status achieved once more!

We get a hint of chaos as SpongeBob and Patrick cause Squidward’s house to sink, which of course alerts him of their location. And this part is absolutely hilarious, Squidward’s reaction has got me rolling on the floor legitimately. And SpongeBob and Patrick’s utter lack of being fazed is always a treat. I will say, though, even though I love Slide Whistle Stooges as a track a lot, I’m not a huge fan of it being used so much in this episode. Like Clownfish Capers could’ve been put in there too? Even Twelfth Street Rag coulda done it. Hawaiian Misadventures B? Honestly choices abound. Be serious. But this is a nitpick, so we move on.

The episode slows down a bit again until we get the second wave of chaos, with Squidward chasing SpongeBob and Patrick, causing them to end up sinking all of their houses, as well as Bikini Bottom as a whole. I also love that this is one of those rare moments where SpongeBob and Patrick can actually tell that Squidward is mad at them. Them being oblivious is funny, but it’s also nice to have these moments every so often too. And Squidward has that look of crazy in his eyes, I wouldn’t wanna mess with him neither. He has that “To Save A Squirrel” type look.

I honestly love the ending to this episode, where every Bikini Bottom resident is now apparently in the Fallout universe LMAO. But also, at the beginning of this last scene there’s an absolutely gorgeous shot of the underground Conch Street…this episode is such a visual treat for me!

“That Sinking Feeling” is an episode that’s hard for me to place in a tier. Because the beginning of the episode is a bit weak, and even after the greatness begins there’s another weak moment or two that brings things down. But then the rest of the episode is absolutely fantastic. So what do I do? Well, by definition, having all of these weak moments should preclude this episode from reaching my Amazing tier, meaning that it’ll be a great contender for Great. Though, of course, I’ll make it as close to Amazing as possible.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
But in all seriousness, this is just a pretty cool shot. SpongeBob and Patrick smiling in the brightness, showing their carefree and happy nature, while Squidward is shrouded in darkness, presumably having a frown on his face. This is their characters to a T. Okay, I’m done over-analyzing now.
only pugs4thugs can make a meme have a deeper much more emotional meaning lol

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like this episode not much to explain here.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
That Sinking Feeling (Great)
The Inside Job (Great)
The Main Drain (Good)
The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (Good)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
A Day Without Tears (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
The Bad Guy Club for Villains (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
The Cent of Money (Okay)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Gary in Love (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
Gramma's Secret Recipe (Alright)
The Play's the Thing (Meh)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
One Coarse Meal (Meh)
The Great Patty Caper (Meh)
Summer Job (Mediocre)
Sponge-Cano! (Mediocre)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (Bad)
Rodeo Daze (Awful)
The Curse of the Hex (Awful)
Trenchbillies (Terrible)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
Its not THAT bad the hate mostly comes from pieguyrulz which is a dumb oppinion i like the concept and i liked the digging all over town but i wish we would have seen how the town got mostly affected by it like how are the restaurants doing, what about sandy? great idea bad execution
4.5/10 i would have gave it a 2.5 but the meme makes it into a 4.5

Back