122a. Chum Bucket Supreme

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 6

Episode: Chum Bucket Supreme

This episode was good. The plot was nice. There were some funny jokes. 8/10

Supmandude

Squog
I didn't realize this was an episode people agreed with me on. I thought this was another one where I had an unpopular opinion. In any case, this episode is 1000000% perfect!!! ;)

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Some people think that it's sister episode is better than this. However, I strongly prefer that one instead of ''Single Cell Anniversary'' , wish that this episode was season finale so it could end good...Anyways, pretty funny quotes here, interesting plot and nice ending ..10/10

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
Good to see I'm not the only one with a positive opinion on this episode. :sbthumbs:
While I unfortunately don't think it's one of the best Season 6 episodes, I do think this episode is well done overall.
I really like Patrick in this episode (even if his stupidity feels exaggrated -but not annoying at all). His dynamic with Plankton was also fun.

My only real complaint is: I feel a bit bad for Mr. Krabs. At least it's a good thing Patrick wasn't aware that he was affecting Spongebob's job. It's also good how the writers didn't show Spongebob being sad due to no customers at KK.

Best parts:
CHUM IS FUM
Patrick's thinking department
Patrick trying to create a new slogan
Situation Alert (Spongebob)
3 DAYS LATER
Ending

This is also the first, and only, episode with Sean Charmatz as a sole storyboard director. I'd say he did very well. This might even be one of his best episodes.

8/10 :sbdance:

I love this episode. Comedy-wise and story-wise, it's just as good as Patty Caper, but the difference is that this one is so much more memorable. I love it, and it deserves much more recognition.

Ranking so far:
1. Chum Bucket Supreme (A+)
2. Patty Caper (A+)
3. Krabby Road (A)
4. Not Normal (A)
5. Sand Castles in the Sand (A)
6. Krusty Krushers (A)
7. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
8. Overbooked (A)
9. No Hat for Pat (B)
10. The Slumber Party (B)
11. A Life in a Day (B)
12. Gone (B)
13. Ditchin' (B)
14. Komputer Overload (B)
15. No Nose Knows (B)
16. Toy Store of Doom (B)
17. Slide Whistle Stooges (B)
18. Shell Shocked (C)
19. House Fancy (C)
20. Grandpappy the Pirate (C)
21. Giant Squidward (C)
22. To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (C)
23. Spongicus (C)
24. Plankton's Regular (C)
25. Gullible Pants (C)
26. Nautical Novice (C)
27. Professor Squidward (C)
28. SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One (C)
29. Porous Pockets (C)
30. Shuffleboarding (D)
31. Squid's Visit (D)
32. Penny Foolish (D)
33. Grooming Gary (D)
34. The Krabby Kronicle (D)
35. Sun Bleached (D)
36. Dear Vikings (E)
37. Cephalopod Lodge (E)
38. The Splinter (F)
39. Boating Buddies (F)
40. Pet or Pests (F)
41. The Card (F-)
42. Choir Boys (F-)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Excellent Episode indeed!!!!! Chum is Fum is a memorable quote. Its very fun to watch and has many funny jokes! Easily in my top 3 of season 6!

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Grandpappy the Pirate (Perfect)
Chum Bucket Supreme (Perfect)
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
No Hat for Pat (Amazing)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Boating Buddies (Great)
A Life in a Day (Great)
Grooming Gary (Great)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Overbooked (Great)
To SquarePants or Not To SquarePants (Good)
No Nose Knows (Good)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Porous Pockets (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Shell Shocked (Good)
Giant Squidward (Okay)
Professor Squidward (Alright)
SBSP Vs. The Big One (Alright)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
Sand Castles in the Sand (Meh)
Dear Vikings (Meh)
Squid's Visit (Mediocre)
Plankton's Regular (Mediocre)
Toy Store of Doom (Bad)
Komputer Overload (Bad)
Cephalopod Lodge (Bad)
Patty Caper (Bad)
Krusty Krushers (Bad)
The Slumber Party (Bad)
House Fancy (Bad)
Sun Bleached (Bad)
Gullible Pants (Bad)
Shuffleboarding (Inferior)
The Card (Inferior)
Pet or Pests (Facepalm)
Choir Boys (Terrible)
The Krabby Kronicle (Terrible)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This is definitely one of the more memorable episodes of the season, due to the incredible "Chum is Fum" catchphrase that Patrick comes up with (like seriously, how would you NOT wanna eat at the Chum Bucket after seeing that) Aside from that, though, the episode is all around solid and manages to create some pretty good chemistry with Patrick and Plankton. I don't think it excels at anything per se, but manages to be pretty good in all aspects. I think there are some improvements to be made with the pacing and such, but other than that, I can confidently say that this episode is fum.

Good episode (7/10)

1. No Hat for Pat (9)
2. Not Normal (8)
3. Overbooked (7)
4. Ditchin' (7)
5. The Slumber Party (7)
6. Chum Bucket Supreme (7)
7. Sand Castles in the Sand (7)
8. Komputer Overload (7)
9. Krabby Road (7)
10. Grandpappy the Pirate (6)
11. Porous Pockets (6)
12. House Fancy (6)
13. Patty Caper (6)
14. A Life in a Day (6)
15. Sun Bleached (5)
16. Spongicus (5)
17. Spongebob Squarepants vs. The Big One (5)
18. Nautical Novice (5)
19. Krusty Krushers (5)
20. Toy Store of Doom (5)
21. Plankton's Regular (5)
22. No Nose Knows (5)
23. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
24. Grooming Gary (4)
25. Shuffeboarding (4)
26. Gullible Pants (4)
27. Cephalopod Lodge (4)
28. Dear Vikings (4)
29. The Krabby Kronicle (4)
30. Shell Shocked (4)
31. Penny Foolish (4)
32. Gone (4)
33. To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (4)
34. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
35. Giant Squidward (3)
36. Professor Squidward (3)
37. The Splinter (3)
38. The Card (3)
39. Boating Buddies (3)
40. Choir Boys (2)
41. Pet or Pests (2)
42. Squid's Visit (2)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I don’t believe it…a season 6 episode that actually has different characters interacting??? It’s a miracle! Yeah, you best believe that’s a trend I’ll be talking about in the upcoming season overview. But anyway, “Chum Bucket Supreme” shows Plankton and Patrick interacting, which we’ve seen a little bit of in “Bucket Sweet Bucket” and “Krabby Road”, but here it’s expanded on slightly. I actually mixed this episode up with "Chum Fricassee" at first, so I'd actually typed out this whole paragraph about Plankton and Squidward until I realized lol.

Speaking of interactions, I love the one we get between Karen and Plankton at the beginning of this episode. I will never cease to be amused by Karen’s constant roasting of Plankton. Never. And then I love the way Plankton pretends to eat the chum in his sales pitch to the two fish, like that was really funny. So this episode is starting off pretty great, which is always nice to see. And I also loved the visual gag with Plankton’s anger.

One thing I like about this episode is that it uses a kind of plot I really like, which is the Krusty Krab business practices type of plot, only this time, it’s using it for Plankton. To me, there’s two types of plots involving Plankton (usually, especially in this era). There’s the Plankton Plot, which is the prototypical trying to steal the formula type of episode. And then there’s this kind, which I suppose I’ll call the Chum Bucket business practices plot. “Spongicus” was an example of this. But I just find it very amusing to see the ways that Plankton (or Mr. Krabs in his version of the plot) try to drum up business and get customers, because it’s usually just a very fun episode. And this time, it looks like we’re going the advertisement route.

Honestly, Plankton’s first advertising campaign would definitely work on me. I’m kidding, but I do love how completely out of touch Plankton is with the way people regularly speak and think. We saw it in “Plankton’s Army”, and it’s nice to see the return of that bit of his characterization here. My question is, do kids know what “metabolic fuel” means? Like how deep does this joke go for them? Does it just seem like big words? I can’t remember what I thought when I was a kid, so I don’t know lol. This has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the episode, but I am curious.

Anyway, when Patrick enters the episode, things continue to be pretty funny. The bit with Patrick’s brain is great, and calls to mind the excellent joke from “Squilliam Returns”. From a character perspective, I really like how Patrick is a sharp contrast to Plankton, but in a different way than SpongeBob. SpongeBob is a foil to Plankton’s scheming and nefariousness. Patrick is a foil to Plankton’s brains. And I love how Patrick basically instructs Plankton in friendship, that part was really funny, and a great use of Patrick’s haughtiness. Seriously, these interactions between Patrick and Plankton are hysterical. And I love that SpongeBob isn’t even a part of this at all, which I think helps immensely, because that gives Patrick more room to be more than just a complete idiot (this isn’t a knock on how SpongeBob and Patrick interact either, but that is something I’ve noticed when it’s SpongeBob & Patrick as a unit interacting with some other character. It usually works fine, but it does have this one drawback). I love how Patrick ends up being an advertising genius for Plankton. “Chum is Fum” is so dumb, yet so…perfect.

Switching our focus over to the Krusty Krab for now, I absolutely love this entire scene. The treatment of absurdity with the utmost seriousness is a formula that almost never lets me down. I love how the Krusty Krab having these alerts is such a common gag, I would love to see a meta joke about that at some point. Maybe there will be one in the future, who knows. Anyway, I love how Mr. Krabs just gets the easy conveyor belt transition to his station, while SpongeBob has to go through this extreme contraption lol. It’s hilarious, and I love how it’s so clearly spoofing spy movies and stuff like that. Makes me think of “Spy Buddies”, which is a great comparison for an episode to have. Another thing I like about this part of the episode is that it’s like “Plankton’s Regular” done far, far better. Where in that episode, Mr. Krabs couldn’t let Plankton have one customer, in this episode Plankton presents an actual threat to Mr. Krabs’ business, and he also isn’t going after Plankton because of ego but rather actual profits. So his motivation is less horrible, and it doesn’t feel bad to root for him. Additionally, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs’ attempt to get the “formula” is much more entertaining.

Really, the part with Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob feels almost like a sidenote to this episode, as we return back to Plankton and Patrick, and Patrick only being able to write “Chum is Fum”. I mean…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But this whole scene is funny and full of great comedic timing. And then later, the reveal that the slogan got changed to “Fum is Chum” is great. This really does feel like a commentary on something…. Anyway, I think it’s interesting that this episode is named after something that only appears in passing (Chum Bucket Supreme…a menu item). I would’ve thought they’d name it “Chum is Fum” LMAO.

And then we reach the end of the episode. Patrick resigning is great, and I liked the gag with him being burnt out. And I also thought that the resolution for this episode was done well, with some tight writing. I mean, that microphone has been set up for the last few minutes, and now it’s what brings everything back to the status quo. I also like that Plankton causes his own hilarious downfall. And then the very ending of the episode, with Patrick bringing his advertising “genius” to the Krusty Krab is great.

I feel like “Chum Bucket Supreme” is underrated, or at the very least it's one of those episodes no one talks about. But I feel like by definition most good episodes in seasons 5-8 are underrated, since people like to write all these seasons off as pretty bad. I suppose there are some exceptions to this though, like "Sand Castles in the Sand" or "Perfect Chemistry". But anyway, I really enjoyed watching "Chum Bucket Supreme". It was something a little different, and it was funny and interesting. A good fit for my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Chum IS fum after all!
1. No Hat For Pat (11/10)
2. Suction Cup Symphony (10/10)
3. Grandpappy The Pirate (10/10)
4. Krabby Road (9.5/10)
5. Not Normal (9.5/10)
6. Ditchin' (9.5/10)
7. Sand Castles In The Sand (9.5/10)
8. Krabby Kronicle (9/10)
9. House Fancy (9/10)
10. Patty Caper (9/10)
11. Chum Bucket Supreme (9/10)
12. Life In A Day (8.5/10)
13. Overbooked (8.5/10)
14. Spongebob Squarepants Vs The Big One (8.5/10)
15. Komputer Overload (8.5/10)
16. The Slumber Party (8.5/10)
17. Krusty Krushers (8.5/10)
18. No Nose Knows (8.5/10)
19. Squid's Visit (8/10)
20. Spongicus (7.5/10)
21. To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants (7.5/10
22. Giant Squidward (7.5/10)
23. Gone (7/10)
24. Grooming Gary (6.5/10)
25. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
26. Porous Pockets (5.5/10)