103b. Suction Cup Symphony

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
Such a shame that no one talks about this episode as much as Sand Castles in the Sand. I think this episode is not only great, but BETTER than SCitS. Why? Well, first of all, the writers make SpongeBob and Patrick annoying in a funny way. Most of the time in the newer seasons, they make SpongeBob and Patrick too oblivious, but in here, SpongeBob and Patrick's antics help Squidward in the end. Which brings me to the next reason why I love this episode. Like Band Geeks, this is one of those rare times where Squidward wins at the end. And this is in the same season where Squidward gets his toenail ripped off, kicked out of the Cephalopod Lodge, goes to boating school and gets annoyed by SpongeBob and maimed by a large person, gets trapped in SpongeBob's pineapple after a thunderstorm, gets his vacuum stolen by SpongeBob as a plot to get Squidward to visit him, and goes off a cliff and gets a slide whistle stuck in his throat. This gets an A from me.

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Always liked this episode. It's pretty fun with the pre movie vibe. Every one in this episode is in character. 8/10

CJO5050

Floating Shopping List
"Suction Cup Symphony" gets my vote for my favorite episode of Season 6, and along with its sister episode, "Spongicus", my second favorite episode of Season 6, they make up the best episode pairing of the season by far. Surprisingly, "Spongicus" and "Suction Cup Symphony" were both written by Richard Pursel, meaning he wrote my two favorite episodes of the season. Well done. Overall, this episode deserves an almost perfect score of 9.5/10.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Same with me, I loved and really enjoyed this episode, Patrick and SpongeBob's stupidity with the doctor-ish thingies didn't annoy me -thought it was KIND of funny actually- and I really like it when an episode has such a good plot and such a good ending as well!!! Like ssj said, they all were happy at the end and that makes me happy too :) Finally, an episode that Squidward's talent was appreciated at the end -well techniquelly because of SB and Patrick- but it is good to see that SB and Patrick finally helped Squidward out (even for a season 6 episode...that's awesome) , I will give it a 10/10 :)

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode is like the anti-season 6 episode... that's somehow in season 6. The plot was creative and it works without feeling baren or dull, the humor is there, and Squidward was actually won. I don'[t want Squidward to win all the time but in this episode it's definitely satisfying. On a side note this has one of post-season 5 Patrick's best quotes.

"Patrick, what are you doing here?"

"I don't know, I'm funny."

8.5/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
One of the best season 6 episodes. At first, it seems that SpongeBob and Patrick would be annoying Squidward for the entire episode, but in the end, Squidward actually win, and it's nice to see him happy and SpongeBob and Pat not ruining it afterwards. 9.3/10

DavidDCM98

Baby Clam
My favourite episode of the entire show! Every part of this episode is laugh out loud worthy!

10/10

Birds858

Floating Shopping List
My favorite season 6 episode, it’s funny and Squidward finally win with the help of Spongebob and Patrick.

10/10

A very enjoyable episode. I liked seeing Squidward win for once. It's very refreshing especially considering OTHER episodes we'll be seeing this season. This episode was also funny, and SpongeBob had a perfectly good reason to annoy Squidward.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabby Road (A)
2. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
3. House Fancy (C)
4. Spongicus (C)
5. Nautical Novice (C)
6. Penny Foolish (D)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Most of this episode was alright. While I do love the actual symphony section, the other parts felt a bit boring even with some funny humor (I did laugh at Patrick saying his job doesn't provide him with life insurance.)

Eh Episode (6.5/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This episode is really overrated imo. The bulk of the episode is pretty boring, with most of the jokes being too immature or drawn out to be funny. There were a few good jokes, but they don't really stand out enough. The actual symphony was pretty good, and I thought the twist was pretty clever, but again it went on for way too long and really wasn't all that interesting.

Average episode (5/10)

1. House Fancy (6)
2. Krabby Road (6)
3. Spongicus (5)
4. Nautical Novice (5)
5. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
6. Penny Foolish (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Fun in general this is my 3rd favorite episode of season 6. The jokes were really funny and I really liked the doctor bits. Easily a perfect for me!

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Spongicus (Good)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)

Last edited:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ooh, we’ve got a fun one today in “Suction Cup Symphony”. For years I’ve seen this episode as one of the real highlights of season 6, so I’m excited to revisit it today. Not that it needs too much revisiting, as I rewatch this episode with decent regularity.

The episode starts off well, with a good joke about Squidward’s horrendous clarinet-playing reminiscent of “Band Geeks”. SpongeBob is pretty wholesome here too. And everything with the construction workers is pretty funny. And then once we learn that the composition is due the next day, this provides a great source of tension for the next few minutes. Also speaking of that knowledge, I am now being reminded of the existence of this cool Sparta remix that uses Squidward saying “due tomorrow” as its source, and the Grass Skirt Chase Sparta Base as its base. Super cool. Anyway, the episode continues on pretty amusingly as Squidward stresses like SpongeBob in “Procrastination”, while also being very me-core in being distracted by his neighbors (mine are very loud…send help). The various sounds just inspire curiosity in me (which will be satisfied later in the episode), and I love all the faces of Squidward moving across the screen in a way similar to “Fear of a Krabby Patty”. This episode is very expressive with its animation and I love it. I also loved the shots we get of a gorgeous background outside of Squidward’s house…I’m going to need more of that please.

I really like how this episode kind of subverts expectations a little bit with Squidward getting announced as the winner immediately, making one wonder what exactly the rest of the episode is going to be about. I can appreciate when an episode is not immediately predictable (or at least I’m assuming this episode isn’t, because obviously I was already familiar with the plot). Once the symphony starts, though, we get a good idea of just what’s about to go down, as SpongeBob and Patrick make their appearance. I really like the sound of Squidward’s symphony too, and I love how SpongeBob and Patrick kind of fit into it too. It’s kinda genius of Squidward, even if it was incidental. The blank face SpongeBob has throughout the entire playing of the symphony was hilarious to me. I also like how this whole segment basically says the same thing as “Squidville” but much differently and perhaps more subtly…Squidward’s life would be far less interesting without SpongeBob and Patrick in his life. He probably wouldn’t have won the competition without them.

One of the biggest strengths of this episode are the visual gags. For example, Squidward’s “game face” was pretty funny, and I loved the whole bit with SpongeBob and Patrick being balls (don’t even start). Or like the rainbow part with Squidward’s creativity. Or even the entire sequence of SpongeBob and Patrick playing doctor and patient. Or especially the entire playing of the symphony, especially at the end when everyone’s eyes are tracking Patrick’s descent. Honestly, this episode really has the comedy down, because it’s not just visual gags that are great here. The part where Patrick’s like “my job doesn’t provide me with health insurance” is great because of the rest of that interaction, and also I like that moment because it does my favorite thing of tipping this show into a more adult direction (how much do kids understand insurance? I’m trying to think of when I was a kid, and if I knew how insurance worked…no idea).

Just like “House Fancy”, one great thing about this episode is that in the end Squidward’s a winner, which is quite satisfying after all the trials and tribulations we see him go through. It’s also just nice to see Squidward win in something that he really wants, such as this symphony. And with that, there really isn't anything else I can say about "Suction Cup Symphony". It's just a very amusing and satisfying episode, not much to it.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

Back