Why have recent Nicktoons flopped?

Flabby Patty

Flabby Patty > Krusty Krab
I'd broaden the subject here to about the past 8-10 years of Nickelodeon programming (speaking of which, 2006 was 10 years already?), just to clarify on the whole spectrum of the thread's title. Anyways, let's get on with this.

It just seems nowadays that if you're an animated show that is not SpongeBob, FOP, or TMNT on Nickelodeon, your Nicktoon has been generally doomed to fail and end after one or two measly seasons at most, with a large bulk being burned off on the sister channel Nicktoons often. It's happened so many times, and there just seems to be no end. Yes, there will always be unsuccessful TV shows like this, but it just happens 24/7 on this channel. I hope the newer toons (Harvey Beaks, The Loud House) reverse this luckily.

Now, even though there are some good ones, it seems that some shows were of lower quality. What do you think of the causes?

Illiniguy34

That Reviewing Guy
Well stuff like "Fanboy and Chum Chum" pretty much tried to mimic Spongebob and did it poorly, others weren't able to keep interest due to either being underwhelming and/or because of constant Spongebob reruns.

Kaiju

I love SBM
Harvey Beaks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LAMO and TMNT

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
I have no clear idea why, but perhaps it has something to do with SpongeBob itself and the fact that the shows that popped out haven't been that good themselves? Obviously the network is completely paranoid over losing SpongeBob so that's their main priority, which probably results in a relative lack of focus for regeneration and developing new shows. Maybe.

Then there's the whole modern-Nick philosophy of joining current internet fads, doing the yip and nay nay or something like that, which might be part of their issue. Good comedy creates memes, bad comedy follows them blindly, and unfortunately, I don't think this phase has stopped yet.

There's also the endless theme of doing pure comedy without any effort to do variation. I prefer comedy shows ahead of serious ones, but I can appreciate and love the latter, too. Nickelodeon just seems to ingrained in making "a new SpongeBob" instead of trying something completely new.

At the end of the day, these are all just an outsider's point of view. The only people who know the true reasons why Nick's falling, is Nickelodeon themselves.

The majority of original shows (which means Korra and TMNT doesn't count) that they've sent out from 2006-2014, that I remembered, at least, have been pretty mediocre. I remembered FanBoy & Chum Chum and Breadwinners, which were embarrassing, Sanjay & Craig and The Mighty B!, which were pretty sub-standard. The only decent one I can remember was El Tigre, and still, it was pretty forgettable apart from the concept and art style.

Though, then again, it seems like every network has been through this.

Cartoon Network were looking like going down fast before Adventure Time and Regular Show became a hit. Then, suddenly the floodgates open and shows like Gumball, Stevie U, Clarence, Bears, Grandpa, etc. exploded. Including reboots like TTG and PPG which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but are looking pretty successful. Cartoon Network went from a network with barely any animation to a massive collection of the 2010's best cartoons. Suddenly, Cartoon Network's great again.

Disney experienced the same thing, though not as explosively because they're still pretty occupied with making live shows. They had relied on Phineas and Ferb for a while until they stumbled upon a gem called Gravity Falls. It was over a little too soon, but by it's end, they're already grooming a rough diamond in Star vs. Evil, which shows a pretty fast rate of regeneration. In between those 2 there's the ever wanderful (it's a pun, not a typo) Wander and the brilliant Mickey Mouse shorts. Then there's the lesser known, but still good shows like Penn Zero and 7D! Okay, 7D's kinda mediocre, but still, it shows even Disney's nurturing it's local animation industry despite relegating most shows to the XD channel.

1 or 2 new shows blows up, and suddenly the floodgates open for different ones.

Nickelodeon just stumbled upon The Loud House. A show with huge potential, and it's already sort of blowing up (for both the right and the naughtily wrong reasons). Harvey Beaks isn't bad either, even though it's kinda mellow. So I really hope what happened with CN and partly Disney happens to Nick, too. The potential's there, at least.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Some of them are just poorly written or forced. What's worse is when Nickelodeon has at least a decent cartoon full of potential, they begin to drown it out with SpongeBob or live-action reruns and then throw it on Nicktoons. Then, after a year or less, the show gets cancelled out of nowhere. They did this with shows like T.U.F.F. Puppy and Robot & Monster. Nickelodeon is a horrible offender when it comes to new ideas and risks.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Amphitrite said:
They did this with shows like T.U.F.F. Puppy and Robot & Monster.
I've completely forgotten about T.U.F.F. Puppy. I kinda missed it now that I'm reminded. It was probably Hartman's worst show (from the 3 I know), but it was still decent.

Krystalite

Professional Tsundere
Their scheduling team sucks.

Just look at what happened with Miraculous Ladybug, they've been showing episodes on a different network that you have to PAY FOR. While the show isn't that awesome, it's mistreated by the network, a lot. Do they WANT to keep their show or not??

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Maybe it may be because the network clearly depends on Spongebob for profit and being successful (even though many of us believe that Nick is already down the toilet). They also schedule Spongebob soooo much that they lose focus on producing other shows, therefore mistreating some of the shows that only get 1 or 2 seasons. Whatever it is, the scheduling for Nick is terrible, as you can expect at least 3 or 4 hours of Spongebob per day, and since Nick also has Nick @ Nite and live action shows that also play most of the day, you could expect that the more recent cartoons play maybe once or twice a day. Even on Nicktoons, they play Spongebob a lot and they don't play the other shows that often. Heck, you even get LIVE ACTION SHOWS on Nicktoons.

As for why they have flopped, it's because ever since around 2009, there were shows that tried to have the "Spongebob" element in their cartoons (not all, of course), and many of the shows with the "Spongebob" aspect failed. Take a look at Fanboy and Chum Chum. That show received low ratings, they tried to make it like Spongebob, but it totally failed. Sanjay and Craig also did this, albeit with more gross out gags and trying to look "cool", but again, failed to get good ratings in any way whatsoever. Breadwinners is yet another show that tries to emulate Spongebob Squarepants in some ways, but that show also has low ratings and it flops with its gross out and butt gags. This makes Nick look like that aren't trying anything new or creative.

And for other cartoons that aired post-2009, some were decent but they weren't noticed or promoted as much as our almighty sponge. T.U.F.F. Puppy was a decent show to me (even though some people don't like it, and I thought that it played it pretty safe for the most part), but it wasn't really noticed by Nick as the top cartoon or even a cartoon that deserves more attention. Robot and Monster was another show that I may have forgotten, but it had a short life on Nick, lasting for about a year or so.

Hopefully, Harvey Beaks (a show that is showing some signs of old Nick coming through) can be noticed more by Nick and have more success.

ThatMattBooGuy

Imitation Krab
Let me just say right off the bat if it's not immensely popular or an instant hit ("Ren and Stimpy", "Rugrats", "SpongeBob", "ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks"), they're not gonna pay nearly enough attention to it and let it rot. Even if a show that gets cancelled ends up a cult hit ("Invader Zim", "Danny Phantom", "KaBlam!"), they'll just shun it to manufacture on demand or Shout! Factory DVD's and be done with them.

It's sad, but it's the reality in terms of recent Nickelodeon programming.

Plus with Nick's infamous reputation nowadays, people won't give newer Nicktoons a chance and that'll largely affect ratings.

Let's face it, for a show as good as "Harvey Beaks" there were some pretty poor ratings (not nearly enough to warrant a second season, might I add).

I'm honestly amazed the show even made it to season two in the first place, considering how badly Nick treats its shows not named "SpongeBob".

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
CakeCup said:
Maybe it may be because the network clearly depends on Spongebob for profit and being successful (even though many of us believe that Nick is already down the toilet). They also schedule Spongebob soooo much that they lose focus on producing other shows, therefore mistreating some of the shows that only get 1 or 2 seasons. Whatever it is, the scheduling for Nick is terrible, as you can expect at least 3 or 4 hours of Spongebob per day, and since Nick also has Nick @ Nite and live action shows that also play most of the day, you could expect that the more recent cartoons play maybe once or twice a day. Even on Nicktoons, they play Spongebob a lot and they don't play the other shows that often. Heck, you even get LIVE ACTION SHOWS on Nicktoons.

As for why they have flopped, it's because ever since around 2009, there were shows that tried to have the "Spongebob" element in their cartoons (not all, of course), and many of the shows with the "Spongebob" aspect failed. Take a look at Fanboy and Chum Chum. That show received low ratings, they tried to make it like Spongebob, but it totally failed. Sanjay and Craig also did this, albeit with more gross out gags and trying to look "cool", but again, failed to get good ratings in any way whatsoever. Breadwinners is yet another show that tries to emulate Spongebob Squarepants in some ways, but that show also has low ratings and it flops with its gross out and butt gags. This makes Nick look like that aren't trying anything new or creative.

And for other cartoons that aired post-2009, some were decent but they weren't noticed or promoted as much as our almighty sponge. T.U.F.F. Puppy was a decent show to me (even though some people don't like it, and I thought that it played it pretty safe for the most part), but it wasn't really noticed by Nick as the top cartoon or even a cartoon that deserves more attention. Robot and Monster was another show that I may have forgotten, but it had a short life on Nick, lasting for about a year or so.

Hopefully, Harvey Beaks (a show that is showing some signs of old Nick coming through) can be noticed more by Nick and have more success.
This.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
The most recent successful NickToon is probably TMNT. The Loud House might be successful, but it's too early to tell.

ThatMattBooGuy said:
Let me just say right off the bat if it's not immensely popular or an instant hit ("Rugrats", "SpongeBob", "ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks"),
ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks isn't a NickToon. ;)

It's a cartoon that was acquired by Nick.

Krystalite said:
Their scheduling team sucks.

Just look at what happened with Miraculous Ladybug, they've been showing episodes on a different network that you have to PAY FOR. While the show isn't that awesome, it's mistreated by the network, a lot. Do they WANT to keep their show or not??
Miraculous Ladybug is a cartoon *acquired* by Nick, not a NickToon. As long as they have the rights, they will mistreat it as they wish.

The show has had some weird scheduling in the UK too. It used to be on Disney Channel, now it's going to be on Pop (a kids channel in the UK).

ThatMattBooGuy

Imitation Krab
BeanoSponge said:
ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks isn't a NickToon. ;)

It's a cartoon that was acquired by Nick.
I'm aware of that, but thanks to its large ratings, Nick is giving it the attention SpongeBob gets, furthering my point that if you're not an instant hit, you're gonna be shunted off to Nicktoons sometime in your last season.

Heck, it might even go the same route that SpongeBob did to Rugrats, becoming so popular it replaces what was once the channel's most popular show.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
ThatMattBooGuy said:
Heck, it might even go the same route that SpongeBob did to Rugrats, becoming so popular it replaces what was once the channel's most popular show.
I don't think Nickelodeon would want that to happen, seeing as Bagdasarian Productions could quite easily movie to another network once the contract ends.

ThatMattBooGuy

Imitation Krab
BeanoSponge said:
I don't think Nickelodeon would want that to happen, seeing as Bagdasarian Productions could quite easily movie to another network once the contract ends.
True. We all know what happened to Pelswick and Butt-Ugly Martians.

Back