We're Implementing Two-Factor Verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
sbj.jpg

In an effort to mitigate against spambots and weak passwords (especially from old and dormant accounts), we've decided to implement two-factor authentication on the SpongeBuddy Mania forums. The set-up process should be automatic and straightforward, and is built in to our bulletin board (forum) software. If you're reading this you have likely already set it up. You can utilize your email (the one registered to your account) OR an authentication app on your smartphone (if you have one), and you can generate and download backup codes as well, if you like.

Staff members have had this security feature enabled for years. It is a minor inconvenience, I'll grant you, but you have the option to trust your device for up to a month. You'll forget it's around except for these occasional reminders.

tfa.jpg

We'll continue to evaluate other methods for counteracting spam, but for the time being we're implementing two-factor verification. Even if spam were not a concern, users with weak passwords could conceivable have their accounts hacked for other purposes. In this day and age, two-factor is generally a security default for most websites.

Thanks for your support in keeping SBM clean and fun for all!

:imagination:

I did the one with the code generator or whatever the heck. I thought I got logged out because of this, and it didn't help I woke up early this morning either and had gotten out of the shower.

At least I won't end up with the same fate SuperSponge1234 with these new security features...
R.I.P Luckily he was brought back

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
We should’ve done this back in the 80’s
This is a great way to secure accounts.
Truth be told, 2FA has been available for anyone on SBM for years, under the "Password and security" section of your account settings. Up to now anyone could have enabled it for themselves if they wanted. The only difference now is that we're making it mandatory.

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
Uh you guys are talking about SuperSponge, what happened to the dude?

MightyMario

The Mightiest Mario
I understand the argument for using 2FA and why it was decided to implement it, but since this is a forum I barely visit, I have decided to discontinue use of SpongeBuddy Mania rather than constantly use 2FA to browse for ten seconds. I can just log out and view the forum without an account if I wanted to check in here. I appreciate the decision for user safety, but I won’t be using the site after this.

Thanks for letting me be apart of the SpongeBuddy Family.

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
I understand the argument for using 2FA and why it was decided to implement it, but since this is a forum I barely visit, I have decided to discontinue use of SpongeBuddy Mania rather than constantly use 2FA to browse for ten seconds. I can just log out and view the forum without an account if I wanted to check in here. I appreciate the decision for user safety, but I won’t be using the site after this.

Thanks for letting me be apart of the SpongeBuddy Family.
Aw sad to see you go :(

See ya though,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back