SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Sandy: The Game Night Gang

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
God, I love Patrick: The Game.

I'm just saying, how AWESOME was it to see these 4 characters together? I always wanted an episode where these 4 characters were the main ones. Because I believe, if written well, these 4 could make a hilarious little group.

Nothing against Mr. Krabs and Plankton, but they've had way too much episodes revolving around them, that it's getting rather tiring. Plus, they're not as flexible, as they are almost literally made for each other (Plankton is most certainly made for Krabs). These 4 characters, however, are not restricted to certain storylines or settings. They're just a bunch of characters with maximum freedom to do whatever they want in any different sets and circumstances.

So here's my idea of how their relationship should work;

The Group Dynamic
3GXTFB5.png

The center of attention is Squidward and Patrick

These 2 are the most contrasting figures in the group. Add to that, they seem to have the biggest egos. The conflict of the episode would grow out of the 2 character's disagreements over an idea or a plan. Most likely, Patrick hatching a plot point and Squidward shouting about how it's never going to work. However, one most not push the rivalry too far, or else the illusion that the 4 characters are good friends might die. The writers must find a way to make sure that the audience realise that these 2 men can't live without each other (a la Squidville).

SpongeBob and Sandy keeps the group together, but with different ideas

SpongeBob is the more optimistic and idealist of the 2. So his job is to support anything and everything that either Patrick or Squidward says. However, he must realise that if a certain plan fails to materialise, he has to stop. I don't want to see Patrick and SpongeBob agreeing on everything, succeeding at everything, in Squidward's expenses. The dynamic must be flexible. The main guys could lose, too.

Sandy, on the other hand, is more of a realist, but is certainly more on SB and Pat's side. Therefore, she must force herself to be optimistic, and going along with anything the 2 thinks of because she's in love with Patrick . Her relationship with Squidward must also revolve around the fact that she wants everyone to have fun in the gang. However, she must be the first person to speak when something is literally impossible to do. Patrick thinks of it, Squidward complaints, SpongeBob knows it's impossible but believes they can do it, while Sandy's the one to tell everyone that it actually is impossible to do. She's the one who has the final say.

Difference between Squidward and Sandy

It seems hard to separate the 2 as they're both the straight men of the group, but the idea's pretty simple: Sandy is more optimistic and less of an egoist. Therefore, Sandy goes along with anything Patrick or SpongeBob says, though she has her limits. When things are literally impossible, life-threatening, or just too nonsensical to even be considered "fun", she'd point it out and side with Squidward.

Squidward, meanwhile, doesn't have a limit. He would detest anything Patrick or SpongeBob says or does by the beginning. Though, the best episodes would find a way to have Squidward actually enjoying whatever Patrick, SpongeBob and Sandy are doing, to the point where he's outdoing them (a la Snowball Effect).

Sandy would also secretly know that Squidward secretly enjoys the hijinks, and because she wants to see all her friends hanging out in honesty and peace, she might need a little forceful physicality.

Squidward is also kinda scared of Sandy.

Difference between Patrick and SpongeBob

The biggest issue with most "Squidward torture episodes" (I hate using that term, but whatever) is the fact that these 2 characters are way too alike. Though, to me, the difference between Patrick and SpongeBob is very simple: Patrick is more stupid, more reckless, but less of a hero. He's the one who's going to think of something, he's the one who'll do something stupid, but when everything goes wrong (with Sandy pointing it out) he'll be the one hiding behind SpongeBob.

SpongeBob is the one who'll listen to Patrick's plans. He's the only one who truly believes that it'll work, and when Patrick realises that it's not going to work as he hides behind SpongeBob's back, SpongeBob's going to be the one who'll save everyone. Patrick is stupid, SpongeBob is naive. There's a difference. There's a difference in confidence and arrogance. The former being SpongeBob's trait, and the latter being Patrick's.

Wouldn't it be illogical for Squidward to constantly hang out with them?

True, but that's the power of the plot. You gotta create situations that put these 4 characters together. Or, perhaps a secretly secret enjoyment over SpongeBob and Patrick's hijinks might drive Squidward into the group time and time again.

SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward worked together in the past with ease, why add Sandy?

1. Sandy's presence helps the audience to find a reason to side with Patrick and SpongeBob. For the audience to realise that a genius scientist is joining in with the laughters of these 2 bumbling morons would ease their guilt for joining the dumb side.

2. It helps exaggerate Squidward's hysteria. I mean, come on, Sandy's having so much fun. Squidward's just exaggerating!

3. She will bridge the gap between the cynic and the idiot. The biggest issue with most modern SB-PAT-SQUID episodes is that Squidward is completely helpless and there's no one around that understands his issues. When SpongeBob and Patrick are in inseparable situations, none of them will think of a resolution to end the conflict. They'll just continue harassing Squidward until the episode ends with a forced climax, or a bad ending in general. Sandy's role is to say "enough is enough" when enough is enough.

General formula

Step 1: Patrick thinks of a plan
Step 2: Squidward shouts that the plan is stupid, etc. Fight ensues
Step 3: Sandy and SpongeBob intervenes. Both say it's worth the try
Step 4: Plan fails, Sandy gives up, sides with Squidward. Patrick hides
Step 5: SpongeBob (most help from Sandy) saves the day through that seemingly impossible plan
Obligatory: Squidward gets comeuppance (the episode's core for visual humour) for being an egoistical, pessimistic little ::dolphin noise::.

General formula 2

Step 1: Patrick thinks of an activity
Step 2: SpongeBob and Sandy joins in
Step 3: Squidward mocks their childishness and incompetence
Step 4: SpongeBob tempts Squidward, it doesn't work
Step 5: Sandy forces Squidward, it works
Step 6: Squidward tries out the activity, turns out it's fun
Step 7: Squidward and Patrick have fun, SpongeBob and Sandy realise it's gone too far
Step 8: Carnage
Step 9: Hospital scene, Squidward blames Patrick, fight ensues
Optional: Sandy starts the episode siding with Squidward (the game's no fun)

Would this group make the series too formulaic?

No. These are just storyline options I made up if the show does want to try out these 4 characters more often. You can literally switch up the dynamics, as long as the quartet stays in character. Maybe one character goes crazy/missing and the other 3 must find a way to retrieve him/her being/sanity. These 4 characters were never created for a specific formula. Therefore, you're free of plot restrictions.

I'd be fine if the writers make an obligatory "game night" episode per season.

What do you guys think? Create plot formulas for this little group!

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
BabySmitty said:
This episode..... SEEMS REALLY GREAT AND I'M REALLY MAD THAT I MISSED IT!!
It's a modern classic, I tells ya!

This and Pull Up a Barrel is almost as good, if not better than a season 3 episode.

Katniss

totally coral
I loved the dynamics in this episode. Glad they had Sandy join in the fun rather than Mr. Krabs. Don't have any plot ideas of my own but I'd totally be up for more SB/Pat/Squid/Sandy adventures.

Cha

I love SBM
I can't think of any plots between them at the moment. Yeah definitely seeing how adding adds more sanity and plot ideas to the three of those guys. I know the SB comics had those four together once or twice. And Squidtastic Voyage is a fine example of Sandy being the practical yet nice one. "She will bridge the gap between the cynic and the idiot." Yeah I really like that. Patrick may be reckless and head strong a lot, but most of the time SpongeBob is the more dominant friend. So I can see him actually starting more plots and problems then Patrick, who just adds to the problem. I mean it feels a bit unnatural to have Sandy there, weirdly enough. When it's just SpongeBob/Patrick/Sandy, Sandy is allowed to use Patrick as the punching bag since Sandy's the level headed/smart one and Patrick is the dumb/usually wreckless one. But when you throw Squidward in the mix, you might be questioning why Sandy would hang out with the two morons. No matter how smart she is, she just wants to have a fun time with her friends just like SpongeBob & Patrick do. And to think of it, wouldn't it make sense that Sandy and Squidward were friends? They both are more sane and smarter characters, just one isn't as egotistical as the other. I don't think they should use Sandy less because they find her a "hard character to write". If anything they should bond the four of those characters together. Because they've been apart of the main characters since the beginning.

Also I really like this thread.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
I agree with Roadie here, that this episode, along with "Pull Up a Barrel", are modern classics. It would be excellent if we had more episodes with this foursome embarking on hilarious adventures and partaking in Pat's ideas.

IDEA for PLOT
SpongeBob invites Pat, Squid, and Sandy to a surf party at Goo Lagoon. He sends the invitations to the three of them, but upon seeing if they got their invites, he finds Squidward suddenly missing. He calls Patrick and Sandy on his shell-phone asking if they know where he is. Patrick thinks up some wild and crazy theory (like Squid being turned into ice cream a la "Hocus Pocus", except for realzies this time 'round), and Sandy believes he might just be having some peace and quiet, watching Kelpy G or some show about fancy things on public television. They come into Squidward's house, with the surfing gear. They look into the living room, but no sign. They check Squid's art gallery, but nix. Not a trace of their chephalopod buddy. Cue a montage of the trio searching for hours upon end for Squid. They fail to find him, and decide to do the surfing party, minus their mollusk acquaintance. Until... Squidward walks up to the gang with a bunch of bags, with his forehead signed by Kelpy G. Cue SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy hugging Squidward, and Squidward blushing a bit. FIN.

PinkPearl

insert title here
I can't think of any plots at the moment, but it sounds like this episode was something that would either be really bad or really good. I guess it turned out to be really good and I'm sorry I missed it. I really wish we could see this group more though, especially Sandy. She plays a really important role like you said and I hope we start seeing her more!

You clearly have way too much time on your hands, but this was really well thought out :)

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
MrTortellini00 said:
Opinion about Sewers?
That was a good one. Not as good as PUaB or P: TG, but still, really good. I can see the show going strong for the next 5-6 years if they can keep up the quality of each episodes.

Amphitrite said:
Squidtastic Voyage
Completely forgot to mention that episode. It was a fun one.

Back