SpongeBob and Squidward: An actual friendship?

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
abney317 said:
When I was watching SpongeBob, You're Fired! I thought about this when this happened:

It's not as weird to me in episodes like Dying for Pie, because it's more like Squidward hates SpongeBob, but deep down he cares about him. But in the quote above, it's kind of strange how they both acknowledge it when in most other episodes SpongeBob seems to be completely oblivious to Squidward's hate.
Or more likely, SpongeBob just doesn't care what Squidward thinks, so he just does whatever he wants. Squidward thinks he's annoying, but cares about him.
Yeah ... that quote really bugged me because it goes against my understanding of the SpongeBob/Squidward dynamic in a major way. I always thought that SpongeBob was oblivious and his obliviousness is a key part in the way their relationship works. So either I (and a lot of other people) had it completely wrong this whole time or the writers goofed in this episode. I'll go with the latter, because if SpongeBob does know that Squidward hates him that doesn't make much sense to me.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
That quote from "SpongeBob, You're Fired!", really bothers me so much. It would've been really touching if he didn't say that. WHY WOULD THE WRITERS DO THAT!?! How about something like this:

(Squidward saves SpongeBob)

Squidward: Listen SpongeBob, I know what Mr. Krabs said, but because of him firing you, look at what the Krusty Krab has become

(looks around)

Squidward: We need you, and to say the least, the Krusty Krab is not as good or fun without you. So what do ya say?

SpongeBob: I'll do it!!!!

It would've been much better that way.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
SpongeyKid said:
That quote from "SpongeBob, You're Fired!", really bothers me so much. It would've been really touching if he didn't say that. WHY WOULD THE WRITERS DO THAT!?! How about something like this:

(Squidward saves SpongeBob)

Squidward: Listen SpongeBob, I know what Mr. Krabs said, but because of him firing you, look at what the Krusty Krab has become

(looks around)

Squidward: We need you, and to say the least, the Krusty Krab is not as good or fun without you. So what do ya say?

SpongeBob: I'll do it!!!!

It would've been much better that way.
To be honest, it's not Squidward telling SpongeBob he hates him that I think was out of character. He's told SpongeBob he hates him plenty of times (even pre-movie, like "The Graveyard Shift"). It's SpongeBob's reaction to it. "Yes, yes I do [know you hate me]." Since when?

If Squidward had said "I hate you but ___" and SpongeBob hadn't acknowledged it (which is what usually happens), I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Cha

I love SBM
Maybe he fully didn't it or was thinking to himself "haha sure Squidward hates me".

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
It's a confusing relationship. Like Squidward, though he believes SpongeBob is annoying, wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to him on any normal occasion. But also, in Opposite Day, when Squidward tried running SpongeBob over with a bulldozer, he purposely tried harming him (maybe he knew nothing would happen to him anyways?), But anyways, as also seen in the Sponge on the Run Movie, when Squidward, in his speech, said SpongeBob didn't deserve to die. So maybe Squidward has mixed feelings about SpongeBob.

Back