Saddest thing you've ever read?

kev

innit
I've recently came across this post from /r/TwoXChromosomes on Reddit:

from gobyhappy

Today was my graduation and my dad couldn't be there because he passed away just last month. Today, I got a card in his handwriting congratulating me. Written in the card was an email account and password, which I thought was strange. I logged in, and there are hundreds of emails, all from him. The subjects are all different events that may take place in my life and some more "random" ones like "Open when you had an embarrassing moment" or "Open when mom you and mom are fighting." Each email contains a word document and a video attachment. I opened the graduation one, and I am in absolute tears. I never thought I'd be able to really hear his voice again or see him again. This one was recorded the day he and my mom broke the news to us about how many more months he has to live due to his cancer. I know this because he's wearing the shirt I bought him, and he wore the shirt the whole day before he noticed the "m" sticker on it. This was before he started chemo. I forgot how he looked and sounded like before he had cancer. I don't know when the others are recorded.
I'm sorry if this isn't the place for it. I wanted to share it, but I didn't know to whom. This is the best gift I could have ever asked for: and infinite amount of time with my dad. Now, he's with me forever, wherever, and whenever. I love him and I miss him.
---
Edit: Some of the video subjects (because people asked)
Most start with “Open when…” I shortened the titles to get to the point

• Birthdays 23 – 80 (each is a separate video)
  • Graduate school Graduation
  • PhD Graduation
  • First real job
  • First time being fired

• Landing dream job

• Getting engaged

• “Show to that ::dolphin noise:: you’re going to marry”

• Rehearsal dinner

• Wedding with “permission to play at wedding”

• Coming back from honeymoon

• First kid

• Second kid

• Third kid

• Fourth kid

• Fifth kid

• Adopt a kid

• Lose a child

• Get annoyed with child

• Regret having children (as a joke)

• You can’t sleep

• It’s raining and you’re reminded of me

• You f'd up big time

• You’re arrested

• You need comfort

• You’re mad at God

• You’re happy

• You feel depressed

• You feel alone

• You feel annoyed

• You feel scared

• You want to hurt yourself

• You forgot how to laugh

• Disneyland 100th anniversary

• Mom finally cleans out the garage

• Aliens invade

• Aliens don't invade

• McDonalds no longer has $1 menu
https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/4n2u3j/my_father_recorded_videos_of_him_for_big_moments/

[SIZE=1em]Reading this just made me so happy.[/SIZE]

Please share anything that is kick-you-in-the-crotch, spit-on-your-neck fantastic or even heartbreaking here. It doesn't matter how long or short, just post it. I'd love to take time to read them. Thanks.

Sweat

Banished
A grilled cheese consists of only these following items. Cheese. Bread with spread (usually butter). This entire subreddit consist of "melts". Almost every "grilled cheese" sandwich i see on here has other items added to it. The fact that this subreddit is called "grilledcheese" is nothing short of utter blasphemy. Let me start out by saying I have nothing against melts, I just hate their association with sandwiches that are not grilled cheeses. Adding cheese to your tuna sandwich? It's called a Tuna melt. Totally different. Want to add bacon and some pretentious bread crumbs with spinach? I don't know what the hell you'd call that but it's not a grilled cheese. I would be more than willing to wager I've eaten more grilled cheeses in my 21 years than any of you had in your entire lives. I have one almost everyday and sometimes more than just one sandwich. Want to personalize your grilled cheese? Use a mix of different cheeses or use sourdough or french bread. But if you want to add some pulled pork and take a picture of it, make your own subreddit entitled "melts" because that is not a ::dolphin noise:: grilled cheese. I'm not a religious man nor am I anything close to a culinary expert. But as a bland white mid-western male I am honestly the most passionate person when it comes to grilled cheese and mac & cheese. All of you foodies stay the hell away from our grilled cheeses and stop associating your sandwich melts with them. Yet again, it is utter blasphemy and it rocks me to the core of my pale being. ::dolphin noise::, I stopped lurking after 3 years and made this account for the sole purpose of posting this. I've seen post after post of peoples "grilled cheeses" all over reddit and it's been driving me insane. The moment i saw this subreddit this morning I finally snapped. Hell, I may even start my own subreddit just because I know this one exists now.
You god damn heretics. Respect the grilled cheese and stop changing it into whatever you like and love it for it what it is. Or make your damn melt sandwich and call it for what it is. A melt.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
kevin_ng2010 said:
oh my, looks like Hal's having...
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
a meltdown xDD
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I can't recall the saddest thing I've ever read, but that reddit post is truly touching. That's a first-rate father right there, and it reminds me of an oft-overlooked Michael Keaton film, "My Life".

Back