it's time to boycott the nfl

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
The E-Man Guy said:
I disagree. The controversy about Mike Pence not eating with women other than his wife was even more boring.
I've never even heard of that, but I'd have to agree. (Must've been a slow news day.)

If you'd all like, we can argue the age-old philosophical question: toilet paper over or under the roll? :|

But Trophy is right. If we can't agree on it, why don't we just remove it all together? Just like my parents would do when my brother and I used to fight over something. Or like the biblical judgement of Solomon. Sheesh. When the "adults" of the world act so childish, where are the children supposed to look for model behavior? :unsure:

This is basically how I feel about all this needless "controversy" (football and otherwise): https://youtu.be/qyMSc97UksM?t=2m55s

KarateSponge

Parawhore
The E-Man Guy said:
I agree, but would add to that and say that as a business, NFL has a right to fire those players if them protesting harms ratings and therefore harms their business, as it looks like it is doing.
why would they fire an entire team who literally has the most fans, you make no sense. You're saying that they can fire approximately 20 teams, leaving them with 12 teams, killing most of their fanbase. They would never no that. Especially since Roger Goodell has been the commissioner.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
The E-Man Guy said:
I love this tweet so much:
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/911795782579249152

"Players kneel.
Stupid.
Trump says owners should fire players for kneeling.
Stupid.
Dems say all players should kneel.
Everything is stupid."
How about this: No American football for a year! If these kids can't play nice, we just won't have them play at all. (And the gambling lobby can kiss our collective fat behind. People have better things to do with their money, anyway.)

I'll bet you they would sort things out real quick. :rolleyes:

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
Jibbix said:
I'll reply to you in a minute but I want to add:

why do you people even entertain Todd Philips with replies anymore

like has he ever had an opinion that wasn't bigoted trash and was worth responding to lmao
I wouldn't be surprised if Todd Phillips burns a jersey of his favorite quarterback if he participates in one of these protests. Believe me, I wouldn't care.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
AlphaWarhawk said:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to swallow my pride on this one. Part of me says that violence and/or other forms of disrespect have never been successful in protests, and I still stand by this (just look at how well Ferguson and Charlottesville are doing). The other is frustrated that we've gotten to a point where doing so is necessary...but then again, it's exactly what I do on Twitter. Guess I'm not all that different from the people I claim to oppose, huh.

As for the "rich people taking this stance" thing, I'm referring to the fact that they just had to use nationally-broadcasted football games (which, until now, were also a lesser part of our national unity) as a pedestal to promote politics. Again, only in America could you get away with such a thing. It annoys me to a degree, but I digress.

Again, this infiltration of politics into practically everything may have a short-term benefit, but I feel like it's going to make things worse in the long run via enforcing division. I've seen very little more than additional fuel on the proverbial fire come out of this covfefe.
ok so

in reference to the second paragraph (cuz idrk what you're getting at in the first one) I agree that politics leaking into everything is annoying, but in the current climate, it's to be expected and it's important. Only a little over half of the country voted last year. In a nutshell, that's why we're here right now. So maybe this increased political state will make people get up and actually vote next time. I get that it's annoying to see politics drip into everything, but in a world where an orange man with alzheimers and borderline racist opinions rules the world, people feel the need to stand up for what they believe in, especially if his actions as a whole are effecting the country and an already disenfranchised people even further.

I don't really think we can get much more divided. And, again, while it's annoying, it's the only thing people notice. Case in point: Colin K. has a one million dollar pledge to other charities that help inter-city kids in poor areas. That's basically doing the same thing his protests are doing (I'd actually say they're a better way of doing it). But I also bet you had no idea that that existed. You see what gets results.

Maybe things are more divided now. Maybe it is annoying to see political statements when you're trying to watch the game. But a lot of times, these are the only options that can see real change. I have always hated the "celebrities/rich people should stay out of this" because often times they're the only people who can change it.

The E-Man Guy said:
I love this tweet so much:
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/911795782579249152

"Players kneel.
Stupid.
Trump says owners should fire players for kneeling.
Stupid.
Dems say all players should kneel.
Everything is stupid."
the thing is that kneeling isn't stupid so in a twist, within the first two words that left this man's brain this tweet became exactly what it's chastising. How's that for irony!

Some pseudo-intellectual BS is what that tweet is.

spongedude said:
How about this: No American football for a year! If these kids can't play nice, we just won't have them play at all. (And the gambling lobby can kiss our collective fat behind. People have better things to do with their money, anyway.)

I'll bet you they would sort things out real quick. :rolleyes:
do you not realize how quickly american life would degenerate into purge level anarchy and violent riots if this happened

Mavaxis Starburner

I love SBM
Jibbix said:
in reference to the second paragraph (cuz idrk what you're getting at in the first one) I agree that politics leaking into everything is annoying, but in the current climate, it's to be expected and it's important. Only a little over half of the country voted last year. In a nutshell, that's why we're here right now. So maybe this increased political state will make people get up and actually vote next time. I get that it's annoying to see politics drip into everything, but in a world where an orange man with alzheimers and borderline racist opinions rules the world, people feel the need to stand up for what they believe in, especially if his actions as a whole are effecting the country and an already disenfranchised people even further.

I don't really think we can get much more divided. And, again, while it's annoying, it's the only thing people notice. Case in point: Colin K. has a one million dollar pledge to other charities that help inter-city kids in poor areas. That's basically doing the same thing his protests are doing (I'd actually say they're a better way of doing it). But I also bet you had no idea that that existed. You see what gets results.
I'll now proceed to quote myself from a Twitter thread I just wrote:

"Kaepernick's original kneel-take may have been for a just cause against discrimination, but this recent wave is an entirely different story. I feel like it's mutated from an anti-discrimination protest into a kneel in favor of the likes of Antifa. Now, I may be wrong on that, but no one can agree on the real meaning of what taking a knee at this point. But if I'm right, ::dolphin noise:: them all. Nothing about standing in favor of left-wing radicals/domestic terrorists is worth praising. It's not even about discrimination then."

Due to the odd wording here, I'll put it in more direct words: the main reason I'm even discussing this is because of the motive.

Just like what I said in my first post in this topic, I despise standing for bad causes. Now as I also said in the above quote, it seems to me like this more recent wave of taking the knee is less about racial (or any) discrimination, and more about putting the spotlight on radical left politics (a la Antifa), which I feel are nothing short of divisive poison for us. I'm not going to come out and 100% positively say this is what all, or even any, of the players were kneeling for, but I feel like it's the case (due in part to the fact that it seems to be tied to Trump's recent comments). If I'm wrong on that, please tell me.

I also said last night that I didn't like using football or the flag as political soapboxes. Well, what I'm about to say next is me taking a bit of turn from that train of thought, because I honestly have to make a correction to that statement.

You may notice that I haven't brought Kaepernick up at all, until this point. That's because I had no real issue with his protest from last year, even if the means made me feel uneasy (if the end justifies the means...you know). I'm not Todd. I evaluate the various factors that feed into situations like this, and then make an opinion based on that. In Kaep's case, he had the best of intentions, and anyone who looked beyond the headlines he kicked up at the time could see that. However, he ended up setting a bad precedent by opening the flood gates for politics to infiltrate sports. Now it's gotten out of hand, and there's very good reason to be concerned about it.

Looking at multiple sides of an issue can do a world of good. That's a lesson certain people in this thread need to learn.

Spongey34

Dafano
Staff
I think this is actually an interesting development in that, if Trump keeps at it, he'll have finally met his match. Trying to take on the NFL is a bad choice. People care about their football Sundays.

Which is good and bad for our country in its own right, but going after our most popular athletes (he's not limiting himself to football) is poor form and will get people's attention more than any pseudo political comments he has.

Good for the teams for all unifying, though. It doesn't matter what it's about. Team sports are, after all, about being a team.

Michael Scott

Giant Clam
I think this is actually an interesting development in that, if Trump keeps at it, he'll have finally met his match. Trying to take on the NFL is a bad choice. People care about their football Sundays.

Which is good and bad for our country in its own right, but going after our most popular athletes (he's not limiting himself to football) is poor form and will get people's attention more than any pseudo political comments he has.

Good for the teams for all unifying, though. It doesn't matter what it's about. Team sports are, after all, about being a team.
I agree that Trump calling for NFL to fire players was beneath his office and bad for our country. He should not of done that. However, I think it may be a good political move. Last year the NFL had a significant drop in ratings. Polls show a big part of that is due to the anthem protests and ESPN becoming much more political last year. By coming out against this, Trump ironically caused much more people to protest the anthem, and that is likely going to make the NFL and ESPN even more political. If we folow the same pattern, then more people will stop watching the NFL and it will lose even more ratings. People simply don't want to see politics in sports. This will prove Trump's point. The people who don't want to see politics in football will side with Trump over the NFL on this. Americans who don't like people disrespecting the anthem may see Trump and the Republicans condembing the players as patriotic and see NFL and the Democrats defending the players as unpatriotic.

Michael Scott

Giant Clam
SpongeBobfan1987 said:
What's unpatriotic about this country is letting people like Trump violate our free speech. Trump does not deserve a second term in office. He's fired!
Nothing Trump did violated free speech. Him saying the players should be fired was bad, yes. However, the 1st amendment only makes sure the government won't silence you, it won't stop private organizations such as the NFL from firing people, or making rules that they can't protest while working. Trump simply gave his opinion that the players should be fired. Trump has the free speech right to say he thinks the players should be fired, just as the players have the right to protest and the NFL has the right to make rules saying players can't protest while working. Trump would only be violating the 1st amendment if he made a law penalizing the NFL or the players, or something like that. All Trump did was give his opinion, which the 1st amendment allows. Was it inappropriate for the president to say? Yes. Was it beneath the office? Yes. Is it divisive? Yes. However, it is not violating the first amendment.

Back