Is there anyone who does not hate One Coarse Meal?

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
I LIKE IT.

Seriously, I like that episode. I really do. I like everything Mr. Krabs did in this episode. To me, it is perfectly reasonable with all the kerfuffle he and Plankton has been through. Using mind games and exposing Plankton's mental frailty were AWESOME tactics to defend his business. I also love how dark this episode gets. I adore how deep and morbid the writers went with Plankton. Almost commiting suicide.

Let's not forget that the plot is creative and original. It's also somewhat educating, by showing the relationship between whales and planktons in the food chain. Adding Pearl to the usual Krabs vs Plankton scheme did well for the episode. The ending is as comical as an ending can get. So all in all, it's a great episode. It's original, creative, and even went dark (stuff I adore).

I think most people don't like the episode because Krabs is being mean again, and he shouldn't be that evil, and so on and so on. Well, the things he did in this episode is purely based on pure evil hostility (stuff I like), not crazy, parsimonious greed (stuff I don't like). It's not like in Penny Foolish where he went mad for a single worthless penny. Or in The Krabby Kronicle where he defame random blameless people for cash and his own success. This episode is based on the genuine enmity, revenge and feud of Plankton and Krabs. Neither of them are blamless. Neither of them are innocent.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
It was a pretty dark episode. Mr Krabs was a big jerk. But the plot wasn't that bad to be honest.

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
I wish I could like it, because I actually do think it could have been an interesting episode, but the execution is just awful. There's a way to do dark, and that was not it. It just comes off as tasteless and mean.

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
Me. I LOVE it.

This episode held a cynically sadistic humor to it, it was a very different and stand out episode. It even parallels (or really exceeds) NP too in this factor of darkness. Blatant suicide attempts and all the like, the episode was a silent creeper, a dark horse that just kind of had to shield itself after people saw Krabs go "past the line" of abusive.

But of course from my viewpoint, the episode could not have been executed any more perfectly. Of course, there is always room for more dark humor, but the suicide attempt was perfect (probably wish it was someone other than Plankton though).

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
WinterlandNards112233 said:
Seriously, what the ::dolphin noise:: is wrong with dark episodes? Sure, we can have an episode where Krabs and SB think they KILLED A HEALTH INSPECTOR, but we can't have an episode where there's psychological torture??!?!
An episode with psychological torture isn't a bad thing in itself, it's more the way it's executed. I like dark humor, but it needs to be done a certain way, and there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.

I don't like how Plankton's genuine depression, fear and suicide attempts are played for laughs, it makes me deeply uncomfortable. It's like the writers don't take depression/suicide seriously. I can laugh at suicide jokes, but I can't laugh at real suicide. There is a major difference. One Coarse Meal is just too real, which is why the light-hearted tone of it feels insulting.

If they had actually gone for a more dark and serious tone (with the occasional joke thrown in, that is allowed), I honestly think I would have loved this episode. But the tone they used doesn't match the subject matter. Not for me, anyway. I guess it's all subjective.

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol
To be honest, despite the whole "Mr. Krabs turns Plankton into a suicidal wreck" thing, I don't remember liking or disliking any of this episode. I should probably watch it again to get an actual opinion on it.

hfjs

Seriously, what the ::dolphin noise:: is wrong with dark episodes? Sure, we can have an episode where Krabs and SB think they KILLED A HEALTH INSPECTOR, but we can't have an episode where there's psychological torture??!?!
Because Nasty Patty was actually very well executed in the comedy department IMO, and PLUS there was no suicide attempts in NP. Also, I thought OCM executed psychological torture in the worst way possible. That's just my opinion, though.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I like it, maybe not the suicide scenes (which are never funny), but the plot is quite creative

Plus, Plankton has also tried to kill Mr. Krabs before too

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
SBRoxMan said:
I like it, maybe not the suicide scenes (which are never funny), but the plot is quite creative

Plus, Plankton has also tried to kill Mr. Krabs before too
Plankton is a villain, though. That kind of stuff is expected from him. Mr. Krabs, though flawed, it still supposed to be one of the "good guys".

FairyPotterLives said:
Plankton is a villain, though. That kind of stuff is expected from him. Mr. Krabs, though flawed, it still supposed to be one of the "good guys".
You nailed it, IMO. Mr. Krabs is considered a protagonist in the series, but I don't like how in OCM and Plankton's Regular, he is portrayed as the antagonist. It's not too bad in Plankton's Regular, but he almost forced him to suicide in One Coarse Meal. :|

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
PatStar2000 said:
You nailed it, IMO. Mr. Krabs is considered a protagonist in the series, but I don't like how in OCM and Plankton's Regular, he is portrayed as the antagonist. It's not too bad in Plankton's Regular, but he almost forced him to suicide in One Coarse Meal. :|
Yeah, it's one thing for Mr. Krabs to play an antagonistic role for an episode, but it's another for him to be a bloody monster.

ThePineappleLord

Moby Dollar
While the "graveyard shift" was a dark episode, it did use actual COMEDEY, and it treated the topic with seriousness and the amount of humor needed.

In "One course meal" the plot goes like this: Mr. Krabs starts phsycologicaly torturing plankton to the point of suicide, and he gets off scott-free. Um.. writers.. HELLO!!!!??!!!
Plankton's suicide attempts were played out for laughs, and that is just disturbing. The idea of plankton commiting suicide is a very serious subject matter and the tone and mood of the episode doesnt even try to match it, sure dark stuff is ok but there is a line between dark and full blown idiotic writing. Also the characters were VERY out of character especially Mr. krabs who is just evil in this episode.

Back