How Was SBM Like Back In 2004-2009

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:
SBM has "fads" back then for sure. The whole fad thing peaked around 2009, and then died until you all recently revived it as "memes."

SBM was mostly a place for us to communicate about the things everyone talks about today. Now we have Facebook where we find information (e.g. Alan Rickman's death), but back then, our primary way of communication was Windows Live Messenger (very popular with SBM) and through SBM. A lot of the posts back then were high in content because social media wasn't a big thing back then, so the only way to discuss about the latest news and other topics (e.g. Mr. Meaty) was through SBM. Nobody was on Twitter. tumblr was just a thought in someone's head. Facebook was just now gathering traction. In fact, Facebook didn't even really hit anyone on SBM until 2008. You can easily see why SBM was significantly different back then - the overall purpose of SBM was to discuss about stuff, not post silly things like we see today. It's totally cool that SBM is changing! If it didn't, surely SBM would have died by now. The decrease in activity around 2009-2011 was a result of Facebook taking over the original purpose of SBM, and I'm glad that SBM evolved to fit the needs of people today.

MapleStory was definitely a huge thing in 2007-2008. Everyone played it. It was in such a large degree that people were like "Is this a website about SpongeBob, or a website about MapleStory?"

If anything, the reason why older members are so nostalgic for old times is because Facebook and Twitter have really taken over what we used to have here on SBM. And of course, we miss it like crazy. Likewise, one day you all will be looking back on while some place named Flabsterbit (I just made that up) allows you to share funny memes and everyone is on it and SBM's purpose will not be needed anymore. SBM would have to change again, and you'll feel the same way we do right now.

As TTS was saying, the reason why we had so many debates on here was because we didn't have somewhere like Facebook to debate. We were in middle or high school, so we didn't have a true place to talk about things. All we had was SBM.

I hope that helps with your question. :)
Are you saying this is why SBM went decline in quality because of social media?

As for me, I had no idea SBM was exist around that time when i was at TV.com

Remember JellyFishJammer? she was the one who recommended me to checkout SBM back in 2008 when we chatted on MSN, and i took a peak at this forum and it was amazing. However i didn't sign up until Dec 12, 2010 Maybe it's because i was busy with irl? idk but i guess it's great to hear older users had experienced with Golden Era. SBM was the time with more active users, chatting on the Flashchat (pretty sure Phil remember this xD). So yeah, it's good to see how old users are still there, and kept checking every 3-6 months to see how SBM's still doing well.

PinkPearl said:
c1e1344329e8193faaf54d6ee99ff551.jpg

It only took me TWENTY minutes to do this because my Paint program has really been acting up, so appreciate. This is what it looked like when I started. Sorry it's not that big but Paint is super cranky right now.

Another thing I remember is longer chats in the Desktops topic. People were always interested in the programs people had on their computers. I didn't know how to post desktops at the time (and couldn't, as it was a family computer with our picture on it), but it was fun.
woah, It looks just as same as other forums. It's incredible how much look of this site changed imo, it definitely made it different than other forum places.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Here's another one from the same era, which just coincidentally happens to be a post by our friendly administrator abney317. I guess he liked the word 'moo' a lot at this point.

This is also an example of the classic skin whose name I cannot remember, which was ripped off by lots of other forums and websites (including me)

RA1SlYZ.jpg

PhilipB said:
Here's another one from the same era, which just coincidentally happens to be a post by our friendly administrator abney317. I guess he liked the word 'moo' a lot at this point.

This is also an example of the classic skin whose name I cannot remember, which was ripped off by lots of other forums and websites (including me)

RA1SlYZ.jpg
For a strange reason, I wanna visit old SBM days. If only I had a time machine.

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick

Developer of Awesomeness
SpongeOddFan said:
Are you saying this is why SBM went decline in quality because of social media?

As for me, I had no idea SBM was exist around that time when i was at TV.com

Remember JellyFishJammer? she was the one who recommended me to checkout SBM back in 2008 when we chatted on MSN, and i took a peak at this forum and it was amazing. However i didn't sign up until Dec 12, 2010 Maybe it's because i was busy with irl? idk but i guess it's great to hear older users had experienced with Golden Era. SBM was the time with more active users, chatting on the Flashchat (pretty sure Phil remember this xD). So yeah, it's good to see how old users are still there, and kept checking every 3-6 months to see how SBM's still doing well.

That's exactly what I am saying. Social media almost killed SBM because no longer was there a need for a medium for us to communicate about things.

I remember Jelly very much. On here, her name is SpongeFifi, and I've known her ever since she joined on here. I helped her with her broken English back then. :) I remember her telling me that she was going to get a lot of people on TV.com to join SBM (this was before SBC came into existence).

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
PhilipB said:

RA1SlYZ.jpg
Redux

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:
That's exactly what I am saying. Social media almost killed SBM because no longer was there a need for a medium for us to communicate about things.

I remember Jelly very much. On here, her name is SpongeFifi, and I've known her ever since she joined on here. I helped her with her broken English back then. :) I remember her telling me that she was going to get a lot of people on TV.com to join SBM (this was before SBC came into existence).
lol you could've helped me with broken English too :P

And, that's may be why. Also what's the confusion of Golden Era from 2004-2009, 2006-2009 & 2005-09?

Squiddit

existence is pain
DigitalDistraction said:
you see, that was what is called a joke, it is something that prevents everyone from destroying humanity because we have nothing better to do.
OMG I SEE IT ALL NOW!!! I SEE THE LIGHT!!! BRING ME TO THE LIGHT!

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick

Developer of Awesomeness
SpongeOddFan said:
lol you could've helped me with broken English too :P

And, that's may be why. Also what's the confusion of Golden Era from 2004-2009, 2006-2009 & 2005-09?

I can still help you with your English. :)

I'm pretty sure the Golden Era is 2004-2009. I would vote on that being the time period.

end

It's pretty ironic actually, since SBM (among other sites) is my main source for information. Despite my age and my corresponding generation, I will forever, adamantly refuse to get a social media account. Call me old fashioned, but I will adhere to the golden rule of the internet: never reveal yourself (which, well, I kinda broke when I showed my face, but nevermind that :P).

The Dark Knight

Fashionabluh
PinkPearl said:
Vintage snapshot of arcade (most of it, anyway). Who else remembers the tournaments? I count three members who are *still* here.

a39f097270d5acc6e0463cbf787929ed.png
im crying cause Shadow_Clone was my brother who only ever came on here for the Arcade.

Back