Fun Fact

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
Fun Fact: Since Season 7, Mr. Krabs has been in more episodes than Patrick. I found this to be kind of shocking, then I realized the heavy focus on Krusty Krab episodes in that span. I like a good Krusty Krab episode, but I admit they've really beat it to death over time. There has been just about every scenario possible with the KK. I've also noticed as of late that Mr. Krabs has been involved a lot more in Spongebob's outside-of-work life too, which I don't think is a good fit. I miss him being the sailor/fatherly figure from the first 4-5 seasons.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
That is a little shocking, but the Krusty Krab has been a setting for so many episodes now, and cameoed in even more. Also it feels like they never try anything new with Patrick. It's always him being dumb, which you can only tell so many stories about.

mitchellthespongebobfan

Imitation Krab
Ok, this is going to be quite a few fun facts regarding number of appearances of each character. I was calculating this the other day and found out some interesting things. Obviously SpongeBob has been in every episode, but Squidward has actually been in the second most, not Patrick, which surprised me. Squidward has been in 377 while Patrick has been in 339 (these numbers are seasons 1-11). Mr. Krabs is the only other character with over 300 appearances, with 316. The only other characters with even over 100 are Gary, Sandy, and Plankton (in that order) who have 176, 128, and 120 appearances respectively. Some other things that surprised me are Perch Perkins has more appearances than Mermaid Man, Barnacle Boy, The Flying Dutchman, and Man Ray. Larry the Lobster only has two less appearances than Pearl (he has 52 and she has 54) despite her being a main character and him being supporting. Anyways, here's a full list of the characters who have more than ten appearances:
SpongeBob- 461
Squidward- 377
Patrick- 339
Mr. Krabs- 316
Gary- 176
Sandy- 128
Plankton- 120
Karen- 77
Mrs. Puff- 70
Pearl- 54
Larry- 52
Bubble Bass- 23
Perch Perkins- 20
Mermaid Man- 19
Barnacle Boy- 19
Patchy- 15
Potty- 15
The Flying Dutchman- 13
Man Ray- 11
Harold- 10
Margaret- 10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Sandy- 128
It's kind of sad that one of the original main characters, Sandy, is in so few episodes compared to other characters. She's been getting more attention recently, but every season up to season 10 severely underutilized her, in my opinion.

It's also interesting to see what characters have appeared in so many episodes. Like, I never expected Karen or Pearl to be in so many, I don't remember seeing them that often. Or Bubble Bass, that's very surprising, considering he's only had actual roles in like 5 or 6 episodes, as far as I can remember.

MomSandy

Baby Clam
On the topic of appearances, it should be noted that the crew doesn't keep track of appearance number for any of the characters. Vincent Waller said they "don't keep a running tally of how often we include characters in any given season." Even though it may seem like some characters get more attention than others, that's just because some are easier to write for. Characters like Pearl and Sandy have had a few seasons where their appearances are much lower than usual, but they're still part of the main cast, and that never changes.

Also, appearance numbers are very deceiving when you only see the number. Most of those numbers don't include mentions, cameos in pictures, voice-only roles, or deleted scenes. Plus, it doesn't correlate to how much screen time a character has. A character having an extremely minor role (for example, just one line) or a very important role (focus of the episode) increases their appearance count by 1 each time. Bubble Bass may have more appearances than Patchy, but Patchy has had much more screen time.

Portal-Anniversary.png
SpongeBob_season_2_main_characters_model_sheet.gif

NintendoRulz29

Imitation Krab
Fun Fact: Since Season 7, Mr. Krabs has been in more episodes than Patrick. I found this to be kind of shocking, then I realized the heavy focus on Krusty Krab episodes in that span. I like a good Krusty Krab episode, but I admit they've really beat it to death over time. There has been just about every scenario possible with the KK. I've also noticed as of late that Mr. Krabs has been involved a lot more in Spongebob's outside-of-work life too, which I don't think is a good fit. I miss him being the sailor/fatherly figure from the first 4-5 seasons.
The post movie crew loved Krusty Krab episodes. Like they would always do Krusty Krab episodes as much as possible so it does make sense. Also doesn't Mr Krabs being involved with Spongebob's outside life make sense considering he is supposed to be a father figure anyway.

chloedecker2013

Baby Clam
It's kind of sad that one of the original main characters, Sandy, is in so few episodes compared to other characters. She's been getting more attention recently, but every season up to season 10 severely underutilized her, in my opinion.

It's also interesting to see what characters have appeared for best automatic under 2000 in so many episodes of watches. Like, I never expected Karen or Pearl to be in so many, I don't remember seeing them that often. Or Bubble Bass, that's very surprising, considering he's only had actual roles in like 5 or 6 episodes, as far as I can remember.
Technically Spongebob didn't appear in the The Algae's always greener, but a spongebob from a different dimension appeared

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
I agree with the comments of Sandy being underused. I feel like her inclusion would've made sense in countless episodes. She is getting more appearances since Season 8, but that's sort of a biased fact and here's why:
- Newer episodes go all out on including as many characters as possible
- Everyone is getting more appearances, therefore, Sandy's relative appearances have not changed, or if anything, are lower
- Newer seasons have more episode segments (48-52 usually versus 39-41) so her appearances almost have to be more numerous.

That's an interesting stat project that I'll try to figure out some day just for the fun of it. That's a shock to me that the crew doesn't pay attention to how often they include characters. Leads me to believe they just don't like Sandy or have no use for her anymore. It's really obvious that Karen and Mrs. Puff are getting far more attention in the last 3 years...yet they don't 'track' that. Wonder what that reason is? Anyway, its interesting that Sandy is only in 8 Season 3 episodes, and most of those appearances are very minor. That's crazy. Always felt like she had a bigger role. Certainly did in 1 and 2.

Back