Nickelodeon Did SpongeBob ruin Nickelodeon?

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
After watching the video below, I can honestly agree with how Nickelodeon has just become a laughable network today. Way too many SB airings are what makes the channel unwatchable, personally. Have more variety. Bring back more educational or even have game shows and old Nick shows on during the day. You can't put all your eggs in SB and Loud House. That is only 2 of the many shows you could air.

I do think that SpongeBob is an amazing show. It's what created SBM, SpongeBob Crazy, USB, Sarah's SB Shrine, and many other SpongeBob fansites. However, only relying on this show for airing multiple hours throughout the day is killing the network. I think the episodes would be still hilarious if it's not aired that often. Thank goodness they are trying to bring back some old shows...even if I don't think that's the solution.

WARNING: a couple of bad words in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-seeo7gJF0

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
In some ways, yes. SpongeBob was too profitable for a still-growing corporation to properly control, and the show’s deteriorating reputation in the late 2000s and early 2010s only increased the belief that the Nickelodeon [we] grew up on was gone, as SpongeBob seemed to be aswell.

However, SpongeBob can’t be blamed for Nickelodeon’s poor treatment of other shows, and shift to an increasingly sterile, “how do you do fellow kids?”-like atmosphere. It’d be like if a bully picked on a school full of blond kids because there’s only one ginger kid there who gets good grades. That ginger kid can’t be held responsible for the bully’s actions, just because it exists.

Perhaps in an alternate universe where SpongeBob ended after 2004, or just didn’t exist, Nickelodeon would have more variety and leniency today. But it’s likely they would’ve milked another mascot/show like Jimmy Neutron or CatDog bone-dry.

Bianca

Dreamlover
As someone who does not have Nickelodeon right now, I can't speak for what I see today, but I can say that Nickelodeon has been digging its grave for many years now. The problem is that Nickelodeon strayed from what it was good at: its "Nicktoons" and comedy. A few days ago, I found a post on Facebook where it was a segment from All That and people were commenting that it was from the "good ol days." The most comment thing I saw? People miss how funny Nickelodeon was. This is what's killing Nickelodeon: they're not keeping around what made them big in the first place.

In Nickelodeon's defense, they are trying. The fact is children are usually very progressive when it comes to technology and prefer the cutting edge trends. Networks across the board are struggling to attract children to watch its programming on TV, not just Nickelodeon, so they have to keep up with latest trends more so than adult networks. Nickelodeon has already created its apps and shut down the majority of its website in favor of its apps, which seems to be a smart move given how addicted children are to apps. But this is no excuse for its lack of content and lack of content is the subject of this very topic.

The elephant in the room is just the insistence of keeping these "golden" shows around for as long as possible. Even Butch Hartman, the creator of The Fairly OddParents, admitted on his YouTube channel that Nickelodeon (Viacom) forced him to write in new characters that wasn't necessary for the show just to keep the show around. While the introduction of Poof was the highest rated episode in FOP's history, the other characters, like Sparky and Chloe, did not fare well at all and shows the exact signs that Nickelodeon is doing with SpongeBob: keeping what's left of its golden era around for as long as it can.

Honestly, the newest seasons of SpongeBob SquarePants are at least watchable, and I am so thankful for that. Honestly, I feel like the show is going to be like The Simpsons and last forever, possibly even changing network before the show can even be cancelled - or even funnier and outlive Nickelodeon. But Nickelodeon is trying to milk SpongeBob for all its worth, and it's failing without a life boat to save it.

Just my 2 cents. :)

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
Nickelodeon should at least try to be more flexible with its programming. They own the Ninja Turtles now. I would love to see more time given to the Ninja Turtles (and their new Double Dare game show) if they'd cut down on the number of SpongeBob and Loud House airings. They should not air more than two hours of each program at a time.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Mikurotoro92 said:
Personally I feel it's a combination of both

SpongeBob's success ruined Nickelodeon

But Nickelodeon ruined SpongeBob as well by keeping it around for too long

It's a two-way street
imo, I don't think it's that Nick kept it around for too long, it's more of they are airing it way too much every day. There are so many other programs that can be aired and they ignore them.

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Admittedly, Cartoon Network had the same problem even before Teen Titans Go!, where they were milking Johnny Test by playing it constantly. If you've watched more of Saberspark's content, you'll see that he feels that this is a problem with cable in general, something I agree with. Networks like to play little more than their most popular shows on actual cable now because of the phasing out of cable. It also has to do with the need to market the network's most popular franchise for toy-selling purposes, so I can't blame Nick too much for overplaying Spongebob despite their undeniable fall from grace. Nick ruined themselves, and only part of that has to do with how they've handled Spongebob.

Bianca

Dreamlover
Yoh Manta said:
Admittedly, Cartoon Network had the same problem even before Teen Titans Go!, where they were milking Johnny Test by playing it constantly. If you've watched more of Saberspark's content, you'll see that he feels that this is a problem with cable in general, something I agree with. Networks like to play little more than their most popular shows on actual cable now because of the phasing out of cable. It also has to do with the need to market the network's most popular franchise for toy-selling purposes, so I can't blame Nick too much for overplaying Spongebob despite their undeniable fall from grace. Nick ruined themselves, and only part of that has to do with how they've handled Spongebob.
I completely agree. Cable is just on its way out and the networks are trying their best to keep relevancy. I've heard at work that a lot of moms subscribe to several networks' streaming apps instead of having cable. I believe this is the future of networks, honestly, so maybe Nickelodeon doesn't care for what's playing on its cable network anymore.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
It makes me wonder how different the situation would be if SpongeBob was on a broadcast network instead of cable

I guess this is a problem with cable in general

However, you can't deny the fact that Nickelodeon got hit with it the WORST

They failed to adapt to changing times

SpongeBob SquarePants is only part of the bigger picture...

EDIT: But I have hope that Glitch Techs and the animated series for the new movie Wonder Park can be REALLY successful so SpongeBob can finally be put down

If you think about it the plot of WP can be applied to Nick itself

The movie revolves around a 11-year-old kid who wants to revitalize an abandoned amusement park

What Nickelodeon needs is someone like June

A person willing to take matters into their own hands

Only then will things change!

IDK if Brian Robbins is that person

Last edited:
Back